MagnaFlow Exhaust for S5..... JUNK! - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs down MagnaFlow Exhaust for S5..... JUNK!

Just purchased and installed the MagnaFlow exhaust for the S5. Car sounds great on the exterior, not too loud but more like a V8 should be.....

Contrary to the outside the DRONE on the inside of the car is horrible!!! It makes me want to put my head through the window

Exhaust was installed yesterday, coming off and sent back tonight...Trust me the drone will NOT quiet down as the exhaust "breaks in"...

I have a 10 second GT-R which is LOUD and yet I have no drone inside the car.....Go figure..

2011 Audi S5
2010 Corvette ZR1 (Lingenfelter Pulley Kit, Mild2Wild Exhaust Flap)
2009 R35 GT-R (MXP Midpipe, Sound Performance Intake, COBB AP tuned by Chris @ AMS, AMS Custom Tune, Limey Racing Catless DP's, GFB BOV )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Drone is anytime at constant throttle with the RPMS less than 2K.... Basically all normal driving! lol

2011 Audi S5
2009 R35 GT-R (MXP Midpipe, Sound Performance Intake, COBB AP tuned by Chris @ AMS, AMS Custom Tune, Limey Racing Catless DP's, GFB BOV )
post #3 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 07:17 AM

i heard the same thing so decided to go awe

post #4 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Magnaflow sucks, just called them too and they said they know about the problem but won't warranty the exhaust for a return because there is "nothing wrong". But they know about the drone....Rep said they have had multiple complaints for drone but they can't do anything. Will never buy Magnaflow again.

2011 Audi S5
post #5 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know if AWE or Stasis has any drone?

2011 Audi S5
post #6 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 07:54 AM

my awe has barely any drone but that is after i have broken it in but for the first 1k miles it droned pretty bad
post #7 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 08:29 AM

Did you search this forum before you bought the Magnaflow exhaust? There have been many threads discussing the intolerable drone and bad quality of Magnaflow...
post #8 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5xy View Post
Did you search this forum before you bought the Magnaflow exhaust? There have been many threads discussing the intolerable drone and bad quality of Magnaflow...
Yes I did.....

Here's an example of typical responses I found.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/quick-vid...ight=magnaflow

No one was direct with any responses so I figured I'd give it a shot and was wrong. The point I want to make in this thread is how incredibly horrible the exhaust is so no one else makes the same mistake, thats all.

2011 Audi S5
post #9 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 11:41 AM

Thank you for the review. I've been looking at the magnaflow cause of the price point. If you can't return it maybe check out the designs of other exhaust and try to figure out where the drone is being caused. Might be a bend or needs a resonator somewhere. Who knows maybe you will find the problem and it'll be a cheap alternative for people. I've seen them sell for around 850 shipped brand new so if a 100 dollar weld job can fix the nasty drone then it could be a option. Btw if they wont accept a return hopefully you paid amex. Keep the return shipping reciept and amex will take care of you if you do a charge back.

Last edited by bhk1004; 8th December 2010 at 11:46 AM.
post #10 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 01:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bader.Abbas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadGTRnS5 View Post
Anyone know if AWE or Stasis has any drone?
I used to have the stasis and it drones like crazy, I had to drive it in S mode to make it less drone, I then switched my exhaust to milltek non-res +AWE downpipes, the drone is barely noticeable now, even tho I have downpipes it drones much less than the stasis.

Bader @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

Garage
Miltek sounds great and no drone, 46,000 miles sounds as good today as it did when installed/ fits like a glve as well
post #12 of 28 Old 8th December 2010, 05:43 PM

I guess i'm just use to the drone after about 6 months. i love the exterior sound with my awe down pipes. At times i wish somebody else can drive so i can hear it's beautiful tune more often.

2009 S5 manual,magnaflow exhaust, tunerdome led lights, Hoen xenonmatch fog, apline type X,rieger roof spoiler,trunk spoiler,v1,custom mats, Iforged ps essens 20", short shifter.

Last edited by DINO11216; 10th December 2010 at 08:21 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 9th December 2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does the BB have any drone?

2009 S5 PB/B Prestige, 6Tip, Loaded + 30* tint, Piano Blk Dash Trim, CF, AWE S Filter, H&R OE Springs, BFI 10/20's Spacers
post #14 of 28 Old 10th December 2010, 12:33 AM

Check out the GMG Racing exhaust, incredible sound and NO DRONING!
post #15 of 28 Old 10th December 2010, 12:53 AM

AWE Exhaust+Downpipes
i got mine 3 weeks ago and its like music to my ears

2008 AUDI S5 4.2L V8 6MT ; AWE Exhaust ; AWE Downpipes ; JHM "Solid" Short Throw Shifter
post #16 of 28 Old 11th December 2010, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Alkivar
the magnaflow is fine unless you have a tiptronic car... if your a 6spd its just a matter of changing gears to raise the RPM a bit.

"Black is not a color, it's a part-time job." - Hobbes
post #17 of 28 Old 11th December 2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkivar View Post
the magnaflow is fine unless you have a tiptronic car... if your a 6spd its just a matter of changing gears to raise the RPM a bit.
what he said

2009 S5 manual,magnaflow exhaust, tunerdome led lights, Hoen xenonmatch fog, apline type X,rieger roof spoiler,trunk spoiler,v1,custom mats, Iforged ps essens 20", short shifter.
post #18 of 28 Old 14th December 2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkivar View Post
What you said is 100% true but now your adapting your driving to eliminate drone? It shouldn't be like that. Real quality exhaust systems do not drone. My GTR is over 700+WHP and it does not drone one bit.....Why? QUALITY!

2011 Audi S5
post #19 of 28 Old 14th December 2010, 09:14 AM

if it was as easy as just putting in new pipes / gutting mufflers / cutting out resonators any company could come out with an exhaust (and i guess some do). that's why quality exhausts use an appropriate thickness, are bent in the right places and are thouroughly tested to avoid just such problems. looking at the op's other cars, i suspect the s5 is his dd. why would you want a dd that you cannot drive calmly when you want to just to avoid drone?
post #20 of 28 Old 14th December 2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp74 View Post
if it was as easy as just putting in new pipes / gutting mufflers / cutting out resonators any company could come out with an exhaust (and i guess some do). that's why quality exhausts use an appropriate thickness, are bent in the right places and are thouroughly tested to avoid just such problems. looking at the op's other cars, i suspect the s5 is his dd. why would you want a dd that you cannot drive calmly when you want to just to avoid drone?
All I was trying to accomplish with an exhaust was a deeper v8 sound, I've never had a problem with drone in any of my cars and they aren't quiet either...I dont mind the extra noise but the drone inside my cabin was unbearable. Stock exhaust is back on and life is all good again! LOL S5 is my DD and I love it. Car is awesome in the snow and the interior is gorgeous.

2011 Audi S5
post #21 of 28 Old 14th December 2010, 09:59 AM

hey onebad, you might want to give the awe catback a shot. i have the dp's and catback, but judging from what you just said, the catback probably suffices. pm alex or todd and with questions. that is a great company to deal with.
post #22 of 28 Old 14th December 2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Anyone want to buy the Magnaflow? LOL I'll let it go cheap, $700+shipping. Was on for two days and driven for about 15 miles.... lol

2011 Audi S5
post #23 of 28 Old 14th December 2010, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym2Share View Post
Does the BB have any drone?
Very little. I chose this exhaust because I have a Tip and didn't want drone. Excellent quality and fit too.

- Zee

MY2013 Allroad | Midnight Blue | Sport Interior | S-Line Suspension | Recaro Babyseats | Rotiform | Eurocode | Stasis | H&R | AFE | OEM+ | Tint
[/COLOR]
Retired: MY2010 S5 | Sprint Blue | Alcantara | Black Optic | B&O | BBS | Eibach | Stasis | B&B | H&R | PIAA | E-codes | OEM mods | Tint

Been there, Done that: Silverstone F1 circuit, Spa Francorchamps, Magny Cours, Donnington Park, Virgina International Raceway and the mighty NŁrburgring
post #24 of 28 Old 26th December 2010, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to gd10
i have the magnaflow for 10k miles now and the drone is alot less noticeable then when it was new.. you should have gave it a chance to break in because it does sound great..
post #25 of 28 Old 27th August 2016, 11:33 AM

Drone Hell with Magnaflow on S5

6 years later and Magnaflow Exhausts still Drone on the S5. This is now 2016

Drone Hell Ė Donít buy this exhaust

Short Story Ė DRONE in the 1600-2000 RPM range is unbearable. Magnaflow support sucks.
CAR 2010 AUDI S5 V8 4.2L Auto Tiptronic

Long Story
Prior to my purchase I combed the forums and found a couple of threads that clearly stated the issues with the Maganflow Drone on the S5. However, given that these threads were quite a few years old, I checked in first with Magnaflow tech support before making the purchase. I spoke with 2 technical reps at Magnaflow and also the rep at HottExhaust to discuss extreme DRONE possibility on this exhaust. In each call, I was assured that I should not be concerned with Excessive Drone with this exhaust as it is sold as the Touring edition. First mistake. Donít trust their word in a presales conversation. Always get it in writing.

The sound at start up and WOT is very nice. However, the dreaded DRONE in that 1600-2000 RPM range is darn right nasty. Feels like you are inside a base drum and the sound vibration actually vibrates change in the coin holder. Itís so loud and deep, its tough to hear the passenger beside me in normal conversation. I took the drone issue up with Magnaflow techs directly, the same techs (Matt, Alex) that said there should be no concern and now they refused to acknowledge there is any problem and suggested I take up the issue with the retailer from where I purchased it. So , I tried phone calls and emails to John at HOTTEXHAUST to arrange for a return but no surprises here. It went nowhere.

I am now into looking for solutions, similar to what all the other DRONE victim have explored and shared on these forums. I tried to discuss bigger resonators with Magnaflow but got a cold shoulder so the jury is still out on this solution. I am reluctant to do anything with Magnaflow from here on in given the crappy advice and experience Iíve had with them. Jpipes/Hemholtz appear to be the answer but the challenge here is that there is almost no room under the carriage for customizing with J pipes. Sound insulating material is not where I want to go. I did find this company called Solo performance and they have been very helpful and have some great suggestions with their x mid muffler as a replacement to the mid can on the Magnaflow.

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated
post #26 of 28 Old 20th April 2017, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bought my S5 used with the magnaflow exhaust, agree with everyone else, that low rpm drone is unbearable! Anyone selling a stock exhaust?!?
post #27 of 28 Old 21st April 2017, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter123 View Post
Bought my S5 used with the magnaflow exhaust, agree with everyone else, that low rpm drone is unbearable! Anyone selling a stock exhaust?!?

I have an A5 2.9 and AWE exhaust and there is a little drone but not bad. Have a friend with a Mustang and MagnaFlow. Drone is so bad you can't think.
post #28 of 28 Old 21st April 2017, 08:49 PM

did you get resonated or non res

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode