2016 S5 remap? - Page 3 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 142 Old 8th October 2016, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Just 'phoned DMS (remember the 'phone... incredibly useful tool ) and they say they've got a fairly new S5 coming in for retune on Monday. We shall see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 142 Old 8th October 2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
1200....!!!

A tuning box will get you close to 400bhp for half that....
But it will still be a tuning box. Took the one on my A3 off as I didn't like the way it affected all the convenience features and how they interoperated (think clunky starts from traffic lights and gear changes that were more aggressive than they should have been with the auto box)
post #63 of 142 Old 8th October 2016, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
But it will still be a tuning box. Took the one on my A3 off as I didn't like the way it affected all the convenience features and how they interoperated (think clunky starts from traffic lights and gear changes that were more aggressive than they should have been with the auto box)
Possibly, although various members on here with the DTUK one have given good feedback on their boxes?

Nevertheless, I would still never pay 1200 for a stage 1 remap.... particularly when a stage 2 with pulley upgrade on the older ECU B8.5 S5 is substantially cheaper and provides much bigger gains.

Sounds like they are charging an early adoption/exclusivity fee...I would only really be happy getting mine from MRC from what I've read anyway. Hopefully they are working on it (not that I have any plans of getting mine mapped anyway :P).

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #64 of 142 Old 8th October 2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Possibly, although various members on here with the DTUK one have given good feedback on their boxes?
Mine was a DTUK one.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I would still never pay 1200 for a stage 1 remap.... particularly when a stage 2 with pulley upgrade on the older ECU B8.5 S5 is substantially cheaper and provides much bigger gains.
If it is the only option for the new ECU unit bar a box, I'd probably pay it if I wanted the extra performance.

Quote:
Sounds like they are charging an early adoption/exclusivity fee...I would only really be happy getting mine from MRC from what I've read anyway. Hopefully they are working on it (not that I have any plans of getting mine mapped anyway :P).
Spoke to them on Wednesday. They've not cracked the box and given the new engines/cars are out I suspect it will fall down their priority list.
post #65 of 142 Old 10th October 2016, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
They've not cracked the box and given the new engines/cars are out I suspect it will fall down their priority list.
You may be right, but the initial market for B9 S4/S5 tuning is probably small. Many owners (like me) are prepared to risk their warranty with a tune, but I think most (again like me) are reluctant to do it in, say, the first year. It makes sense to get a year on the engine to gain confidence in reliability before tuning. Of course being a brand new design engine, and also with some novel design features, the first owners who tune are going to be the pioneers of risk.
julianwhitta and HTB like this.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #66 of 142 Old 28th October 2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Since we don't seem any closer to a map for this engine, anyone know if you could just change the supercharger pulley for the smaller one (Revo/APR) to get some bhp gains?
post #67 of 142 Old 28th October 2016, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2881 View Post
Since we don't seem any closer to a map for this engine, anyone know if you could just change the supercharger pulley for the smaller one (Revo/APR) to get some bhp gains?
Would you not need to remap the ECU to take advantage of the new pulley? Not sure on the finer details of how it works, so might be wrong.

post #68 of 142 Old 28th October 2016, 01:37 PM

Not sure, I was thinking that the smaller SC pulley diameter means it is essentially spinning faster and therefore producing more boost/rpm. Since this is hardware, was then thinking it could be done in isolation of any remap??
post #69 of 142 Old 28th October 2016, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Not sure, I was thinking that the smaller SC pulley diameter means it is essentially spinning faster and therefore producing more boost/rpm. Since this is hardware, was then thinking it could be done in isolation of any remap??
Yea you might be right.

I personally think your best bet is the DTUK box, but appreciate its not ideal.

post #70 of 142 Old 28th October 2016, 05:49 PM

I've been checking and according to a dealer, no one has yet cracked it (as of yesterday). Having said that, it means I'm not itching to upgrade before my warranty is out

His: 2016 Mythos Black S5 Black edition. ADS, sports diff, active dampers, dynamic steering, tech pack high, comfort pack, parking system advanced, adaptive headlights, pano sunroof, advanced key, heated/folding mirrors, 20 x 9J 5-double-spoke (summer)/19 x 8.5J Y spoke in gunmetal (winter) wheels.
Hers: 2012 Black Touareg Altitude 3l TDi (245ps)

Previous:
2014 Daytona Grey Sline A3 quattro 2l TDi
post #71 of 142 Old 31st October 2016, 05:55 AM

Garage
Yes a smaller pulley without a remap should still increase low down torque however it may cause the ECU to raise errors if it has programming which checks if readings are outside expected range.

The other thing that should be possible is to get a TCU remap, because I'm fairly sure that the latest cars have the same TCU as the earlier ones. This will give higher power simply by increasing the redline, plus get the other benefits that the tuner puts in, such as higher shift points for the automatic modes.

post #72 of 142 Old 31st October 2016, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
I've been checking and according to a dealer, no one has yet cracked it (as of yesterday). Having said that, it means I'm not itching to upgrade before my warranty is out
That's the only thought that keeps my frustration at bay - the longer I have to wait the more I get out of my warranty!

post #73 of 142 Old 31st October 2016, 08:09 AM
HTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
That's the only thought that keeps my frustration at bay - the longer I have to wait the more I get out of my warranty!
+ 1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #74 of 142 Old 26th November 2016, 04:18 PM

Garage
Stumbled across this over on ASN. I know @Dippy and @arad85 are particularly keen on this, and its substantially cheaper than the other option mentioned on here by the looks of it

2015 Audi S4 CREC remap tune software available! | Audi-Sport.net

post #75 of 142 Old 27th November 2016, 01:44 AM

Apparently, MRC can do these now too. That means I don't "need" the B9 RS5 when it comes out! Now do I void my warranty or wait a bit.....

His: 2016 Mythos Black S5 Black edition. ADS, sports diff, active dampers, dynamic steering, tech pack high, comfort pack, parking system advanced, adaptive headlights, pano sunroof, advanced key, heated/folding mirrors, 20 x 9J 5-double-spoke (summer)/19 x 8.5J Y spoke in gunmetal (winter) wheels.

Previous:
post #76 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 06:12 AM

Garage
Yes, my lunchtime forum read is a bit more interesting today

post #77 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Apparently, MRC can do these now too. That means I don't "need" the B9 RS5 when it comes out! Now do I void my warranty or wait a bit.....

Have you spoke to MRC? As that's where I think I'm going to go.
post #78 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonse View Post
Have you spoke to MRC? As that's where I think I'm going to go.
They posted on their facebook page.... https://www.facebook.com/pg/mrctunin...86949218013996 Look at the replies to the first comment.

Previous:
post #79 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 12:15 PM

I spoke to MRC at the beginning of last week and they still hadn't cracked it at that point. Could be that it's literally just happened or will be available very soon...
post #80 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
I spoke to MRC at the beginning of last week and they still hadn't cracked it at that point. Could be that it's literally just happened or will be available very soon...
The reply to the comment on that Facebook link was Saturday, so looks like it's literally just happened!
post #81 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
The reply to the comment on that Facebook link was Saturday, so looks like it's literally just happened!
2 hours later than Rick's post... Coincidence?

Previous:
post #82 of 142 Old 28th November 2016, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
2 hours later than Rick's post... Coincidence?
Ha...good spot

post #83 of 142 Old 29th November 2016, 06:07 AM

Garage
I haven't had a response from MRC yet. However on Friday a flash tool company called Flashtec announced that the new version of their OBD flash tool supports SIMOS 16. To me that's too much of a coincidence to not be the trigger for MRC's FB comment and Unicorn's announcement. I believe that tuners like MRC probably prefer to crack an ECU themselves but with customers asking for support and then a 3rd party flash tool company is the first to crack it, maybe they just decide to go with the new tool. I suspect that MRC are not actually ready to tune CREC engines yet and we'll need to wait a bit longer. For me the most important thing is that the SIMOS 16 is remappable and so the sort of power I wanted from my S5 when I decided to buy it is no longer a pipe dream. I'm also embarrassed to state that I also want to avoid having to see a B9 S4 or S5 and being envious of the more powerful engine...

post #84 of 142 Old 29th November 2016, 09:00 AM

Good spot @Dippy. I reckon that's it - I suspect tuners would rather spend time tuning than cracking and looking at the price if I were a tuner, I'd buy the box/software and develop my own map. BTW: I've had better response by 'phone with MRC rather than electronic methods.

Personally, I don't need a map now (I think I picked the car up 10th October) but knowing it is a possibility and that I probably will end up with a map in the fullness of time (I was checking insurance prices last night) is good enough for me at the moment.

I reserve to change my mind when the first reports from people who have had it done come through mind you

Previous:
post #85 of 142 Old 19th December 2016, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Garage
I sent an email to MRC last week and they responded and said they have cracked it but are waiting for feedback on their test car before releasing it but will hopefully be early in the new year.
Revo are also still looking into it but have no timescales.
I am still unsure whether to wait and get a remap or just go down the DTUK route! Although I guess with a box you can't really do the pulley upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
HTB likes this.

Just Collected - S5 SB BE (Team Sepang)
Sold - SQ5
Gone - A5 SB S-line 3.0Tdi quattro s-tronic!
Sadly gone - S3 SB BE Ibis White.
post #86 of 142 Old 20th December 2016, 05:28 AM

Garage
Thanks for posting that update Nick. I e-mailed MRC a few weeks ago. They didn't respond but I have assumed that they weren't actually ready to deliver yet because they needed to do more work, which is of course a good thing. I'm of the opinion that MRC are the best in the market, and not just because they get the best results, so I'm inclined to wait, especially as I want stage 2.

Revo clearly have the same attitude in that they want to test the CREC tune thoroughly before announcing availability, but they told me that they would only start work on the CREC at the end of this year at the soonest. I expect that they will be at least several months behind MRC.

The advantage of a tuning box such as the DTUK one is that it can be removed prior to taking the car to a dealer and so there should be no risk to warranty. Supposedly Audi have new tech that detects tuning boxes but I doubt its in the SIMOS 16. Even if it is, I also have doubts that Audi could get out of a warranty claim without proving that a tuning box had been fitted, and the ECU having logged high boost is not proof unless they can also prove that there is no failure mode which could have caused it.

Actually a pulley upgrade will work with a tuning box, to a certain degree. (Of course removing a tuning box prior to service is easy, but the pulley less easy.) Even without a tune, a pulley upgrade will increase boost at low and mid revs. As I understand it the DTUK box has selectable maps and possibly customisable too, so it should allow even more high rev boost too. However be aware that it only allows increased boost by 'fooling' the ECU that boost is 'normal' so that the bypass valve stays closed, but does not directly 'fool' the ECU into increasing fuelling. So the extra fuel comes from the ECU detecting lean and compensating. There may be limits to the level of compensation possible, and even then there may be times when the engine runs lean. For this reason I question the long term engine reliability when using such a tuning box.
HTB likes this.

post #87 of 142 Old 24th December 2016, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)

Garage
MRC post today

"This S5 3.0T has the newer CREC engine code. MRC Tuning can now tune all stages and the Stronic gearbox.
Stock this S5 did 337ps 469nm.
MRC Stage1 Remap it did 434ps 551nm.
MRC Stage1 Remap and Stronic Remap it did 447ps 550nm.
With the MRC Stage2 Package and Stronic Remap it did 480ps 593nm"

And apparently these have patches so can not be detected at the dealers? Still not had to test this myself yet though.
DrEskimo and HTB like this.

Audi S5 V6 Supercharged - Moby
- Ibis White Black edition - Stage 2 MRC Tuning 476bhp 576nm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #88 of 142 Old 24th December 2016, 06:12 AM
HTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Broken link deleted.

Last edited by HTB; 24th December 2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Broken link. Deleted.
post #89 of 142 Old 24th December 2016, 06:26 AM

Garage
Thanks very much for your informative post Dippy.
I think I would still prefer a remap anyway and hope there would be no warranty issues should anything happen. I have had remaps and tuning boxes on previous cars and never had issues so here's hoping to the same as I can't wait until it's 3 years old!

Sold - SQ5
post #90 of 142 Old 24th December 2016, 06:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin_00 View Post
MRC post today

"This S5 3.0T has the newer CREC engine code. MRC Tuning can now tune all stages and the Stronic gearbox.
Stock this S5 did 337ps 469nm.
MRC Stage1 Remap it did 434ps 551nm.
MRC Stage1 Remap and Stronic Remap it did 447ps 550nm.
With the MRC Stage2 Package and Stronic Remap it did 480ps 593nm"

And apparently these have patches so can not be detected at the dealers? Still not had to test this myself yet though.
Wow that sounds like pretty good gains.
Best get saving for the next few months then and if they can't be detected then even better.

Sold - SQ5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode