Headlight Washers? - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > S5 General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2007, 07:09 PM   #1

lionhead is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight Washers?

How does the Audi headlight washers work? On my 3 MBs there is a button next to the headlight switch that sprays even if the headights are off. My dealer is providing me with an '08 Audi A6 S-Line as a loaner as my S5 won't arrive until March-May of '08 and was wondering how they work. When I spray the windshield wiper on the A6, the headlight washer's sprays and other times it doesn't. BTW...having the A6 for a week now and it's a nice ride.

Last edited by lionhead; 18th November 2007 at 07:13 PM.
lionhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 18th November 2007, 07:56 PM   #2

sizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionhead View Post
How does the Audi headlight washers work? On my 3 MBs there is a button next to the headlight switch that sprays even if the headights are off. My dealer is providing me with an '08 Audi A6 S-Line as a loaner as my S5 won't arrive until March-May of '08 and was wondering how they work. When I spray the windshield wiper on the A6, the headlight washer's sprays and other times it doesn't. BTW...having the A6 for a week now and it's a nice ride.
There isn't a separate button to wash the lights. If you use the manual windshield wiper wipers for longer than 3 seconds, the headlight washers will activate....

Phantom Black S5
Black Interior- Stainless Inlay- Audi Navigation Plus- Technology Package- Bang & Olufsen Audio-GMG Quad Exhaust-20" HRE 790R with 305/25/20 Rears- Euro Code Headlights-H&R Street Coilovers
sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 12:35 AM   #3

doubledoom is on a distinguished road

I have found the windscreen washers work only at night (when the satnav has switched to night mode and lights are on). It doesnt need 3 seconds on mine. You can tell it is doing it when the lights are on as you can see the splashing over the light and it effects the intensity of the lights.

The difference in sizzle's experience and mine could be down to different software or different locations (leading to different software). Just like the LEDs dimming on indicator use is different with early cars and later ones.

SOLD June 2010: Audi S5
Phantom Black | Pearl Silver seats | Silver Headlining | Carbon Inlay| B & O | Nav Plus | TV | Bluetooth | Comfort Pack | Heated F/R seats | Parking Plus | Hill-hold assist | Advanced Key | Cruise | Storage
Modifications
Milltek Cat back exhaust (non-res) | 15mm spacers | KW V2 coilovers (lowered f: 25mm, r: 20mm) | Sportec pedals
Misc adjustments
DRLs no longer dim with indicators| DRLS no longer dim on side light setting | MMI 4690 to 5570 | TV in motion unlocked.

Last edited by doubledoom; 19th November 2007 at 07:26 AM.
doubledoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 12:52 AM   #4

S5France is on a distinguished road

I haven't checked on mine, but on my previous audi, you get the headlight wash if you pull the wash function just as the lights come on, or if you use it when you are in full beam.....

S5 Phantom Black Silver loaded
S5France is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 12:59 AM   #5

chasTT is on a distinguished road

It works like this:-
Operate the windscreen wash as normal.
If you hold the wash on for less than 3-seconds then only the windscren gets washed.
Hold the button on for more than 3-seconds and if the lights are ON then they get sprayed too. If the lights are off, then again only the windscreen gets wet.
chasTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 02:37 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Rab88 is on a distinguished road

Mines seems to be similar to doubledoom's - the headlight washers only work when the headlights are on. They'll be activated even if I pull the stock for less than three seconds.

Another thing I noticed is that if you try it more than once, it won't activate the headlight washers .... there seems to be a set time delay between each headlight wash for some reason???

A5OC Moderator
Rab88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 03:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasTT View Post
It works like this:-
Operate the windscreen wash as normal.
If you hold the wash on for less than 3-seconds then only the windscren gets washed.
Hold the button on for more than 3-seconds and if the lights are ON then they get sprayed too. If the lights are off, then again only the windscreen gets wet.
Yep, thats how mine work. Must be a software thing with the differences....

Phantom Black S5
Black Interior- Stainless Inlay- Audi Navigation Plus- Technology Package- Bang & Olufsen Audio-GMG Quad Exhaust-20" HRE 790R with 305/25/20 Rears- Euro Code Headlights-H&R Street Coilovers
Old 19th November 2007, 03:16 AM   #8

Pignpoo is on a distinguished road

I have not tested it fully on my S5 but I expect it is the same as the beemers I have had. If the lights are on and you engage the windsreen washer (for any length of time) the lights will be washed also. I will then continue to wash the lights every third windscreen wash during the same journey.

SOLD:Phantom Black S5 with lots of toys (Owned from Sep 07 - Mar 08) !

Currently only have wife's car (Honda Civic) and motorbike.
Pignpoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Sponsor

Spinner is on a distinguished road

The headlight washers are activated by the windscreen washers and are only activated if the lights are on as they are not needed in daylight. The first time you use the washers after the lights are swiched on (auto or manually) it will always clean the headlights as well as the windscreen. If you wish to clean the headlights thereafter you must hold the washers for more than 3 seconds. Hope this helps to clear this inconsistancy of answers up for you
Spinner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th November 2007, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The headlight washers are activated by the windscreen washers and are only activated if the lights are on as they are not needed in daylight. The first time you use the washers after the lights are swiched on (auto or manually) it will always clean the headlights as well as the windscreen. If you wish to clean the headlights thereafter you must hold the washers for more than 3 seconds. Hope this helps to clear this inconsistancy of answers up for you
That's not how mine work.......

Phantom Black S5
Old 19th November 2007, 07:48 PM   #11

mlynn is on a distinguished road

I'm fairly sure I read in my manual a few days ago that:
The lights need to be on...
It will wash if you hold the washer for more than 2 seconds...
and - every 5th time you ask for a short blast (with lights on)

I haven't tested it myself yet.

ml

2008 S5 MT6 / Brilliant Black & Black / Tech / Nav / B&O / Carbon
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th November 2007, 03:56 AM   #12

I will repeat that small differences do seem to occur in different countries and when the car was built.

sizzle, do your LEDs dim when you indicate (only on the side indicating)? Thats another difference.

Phantom Black | Pearl Silver seats | Silver Headlining | Carbon Inlay| B & O | Nav Plus | TV | Bluetooth | Comfort Pack | Heated F/R seats | Parking Plus | Hill-hold assist | Advanced Key | Cruise | Storage
Modifications
Milltek Cat back exhaust (non-res) | 15mm spacers | KW V2 coilovers (lowered f: 25mm, r: 20mm) | Sportec pedals
Misc adjustments
DRLs no longer dim with indicators| DRLS no longer dim on side light setting | MMI 4690 to 5570 | TV in motion unlocked.
Old 20th November 2007, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledoom View Post
I will repeat that small differences do seem to occur in different countries and when the car was built.

sizzle, do your LEDs dim when you indicate (only on the side indicating)? Thats another difference.
No, the signal side turns off which I think looks pretty stupid. I barely use turn signals anymore....

Phantom Black S5
Old 20th November 2007, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
No, the signal side turns off which I think looks pretty stupid. I barely use turn signals anymore....
That would make your car a US model then. Most of us on this thread are from UK. We know from other threads that some of us have different software.

Modifications
Misc adjustments
Old 15th December 2008, 11:46 PM   #15

55 JWB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

Does anyone know if we can change this??

I would like mine to only do the headlights with the 'longer pull' rather than instantly the first time you use when the lights are on... if you forget and you are doing less than 40 mph its just all over the bonnet of the car

June 08 S5 Phantom Black Black Silk Nappa Interior Carbon Trim DVD Nav Plus DAB Radio AMI Phone Prep High Bang & Olufsen Parking Plus Heated Memory Seats Auto Dipping Rear & Side Electrically Folding Mirrors Adaptive Xenon's Internal & External Lighting Mod's Cat Back Milltek BMC Filter and an APSvisit Bugger, modding has started
55 JWB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th December 2008, 12:32 PM   #16

Audi S5 is on a distinguished road

You can change all kinds of options (LED's, side lights, etc.). with the VAG-COM cable and software (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...x.html?p=39576).

Good luck.

2009 S5 Tiptronic | Custom color: Porsche DarkOliveGreen | Mustang interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | B&O |Technology | DVD Nav new MMI | VAG-Com change: Video In Motion activated + LED Tail (always on) + parking mirror activated
Audi S5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13th January 2009, 12:47 PM   #17

fdot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fdot

anyone find out the answer in vag com to disbale... i cant find anything.. i hate it

..... S5 Tip.White on Black....MMi..NAv...Carbon...Tech PacK...Side AssiT..
fdot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13th January 2009, 01:51 PM   #18

wrx_xb9r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynn View Post
I'm fairly sure I read in my manual a few days ago that:
The lights need to be on...
It will wash if you hold the washer for more than 2 seconds...
and - every 5th time you ask for a short blast (with lights on)

I haven't tested it myself yet.

ml
It has been over 1 year since I read the manual. However I remember +3 seconds and every 6th time you use the washers.

MG w/ MR S5 | CF | B&O | NAV | TECH
wrx_xb9r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13th January 2009, 03:43 PM   #19

geoffrey2k is on a distinguished road
Default annoying

Totally messes up your nice clean car. But worse still is the windshield washer. Mine practically sprays onto the roof. I cant use it unless the car is filthy and ready for a wash. If the car is just dusty and I want a quick windshield cleaning, forget it. Total disaster.

Why The Fork do those spray jets need to be like power washers? they only go in one spot so there is no point in all that intensity when the wipers do all the work. Idiotic.

I hate this ALMOST as much as I hate the sensitivity of the side window switches. Another ridiculously simple feature botched.
geoffrey2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th January 2009, 01:10 AM   #20

Why dont you just adjust the alignment on the washers to be lower down?

Modifications
Misc adjustments
Old 14th January 2009, 05:52 AM   #21

wrx_xb9r is on a distinguished road

I find that trying to use the windshield washers at slow speed causes them to spray the entire car. However at speed they work very well.

Perhaps it is just my adjustment angle as well.

MG w/ MR S5 | CF | B&O | NAV | TECH
wrx_xb9r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.