Front Parking Sensors? - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > S5 General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:02 AM   #1

Jasper is on a distinguished road
Default Front Parking Sensors?

Hey everyone,

I have a '11 Tiptronic S5 fully loaded.. however for some reason my vehicle does not have front parking sensors, only the rear?

Is there a particular reason mine didn't come with them, and would I be able to get them fitted? I was thinking about purchasing the Rieger RS5 bumper for my S5, and if I could get front parking sensors fitted, I'd purchase the one with the parking sensor holes.. same price anyways.

Any help would be much appreciated

2011 Audi S5 Tiptronic / Phantom Black / Fully Loaded sans ADS
----------------------------------------------
2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
1962 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder
1965 Maserati 3500 GTi Sebring
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:09 AM   #2

Force-1 is on a distinguished road

Not available from factory.

2013 S5 Cab; Phantom Black/Black, Prestige Package, Driver Assist Package, Comfort Package, 19" 5-Spoke, Carbon Atlas Inlays
---------------------
2014 Q7 S-Line Prestige; Night Black/Black, Towing and Cold Weather Package, Adaptive Air Suspension
---------------------
<Gone>2011 Q7 S-Line Prestige; Orca Black/Grey, Towing and Cold Weather Package
---------------------
<Gone>2011 A5 Cab; Quartz Grey/Black, Premium+, NAV Package, 19" Sport Package B&O Souns, Exhaust Tips
Force-1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:12 AM   #3

Oh bummer.. I wonder why US models don't have them

2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers
Old 4th July 2012, 09:55 PM   #4

S Five is on a distinguished road

Front sensors were certainly available for customers outside of the US; well, mine has them any way (2011 MY). I did read somewhere that there was a shortage of components for many car manufacturers following the Japanese Tsunami, and that parking sensors were hard to source, with some cars being produced sans senors when in the past such models would have had them.
S Five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5th July 2012, 03:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Five View Post
Front sensors were certainly available for customers outside of the US; well, mine has them any way (2011 MY). I did read somewhere that there was a shortage of components for many car manufacturers following the Japanese Tsunami, and that parking sensors were hard to source, with some cars being produced sans senors when in the past such models would have had them.
How unfortunate , I wonder if vehicles imported to the US during 2011 were victims of the shortage.. anybody in the US have any info about whether or not US A5/S5's have/do not have the front sensors? Thanks for the info!

2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers

Last edited by Jasper; 5th July 2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Misread
Old 5th July 2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Awdriver is on a distinguished road

I would also like to know if the 2013 s5 I ordered in Canada will be getting the front sensors
Awdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5th July 2012, 12:25 PM   #7

llBen is on a distinguished road

The Tsunami affected controllers for the parking camera, not the front sensors! Not sure why you guys don't have them... in fact, funny thing is that nowhere else outside of North America can you spec the rear parking camera without both front and rear sensors

Daytona Grey 2012 Audi A5 S-Line Black Edition Coupé 2.0T FSI Quattro 6MT
Mods: 9Jx20 ET26 RS Titan Rotors | S Exhaust | MMI 3G+ w/ RS Controls | Drive Select | Valcona/Alcantara Electric/Memory RS Super Sport Seats | Front/Rear Seat Heating | Passenger Memory | Hoen Fogs | LED Interior Light Pack | Storage Pack | Parking Camera | Folding/Memory Mirrors | Auto-Dimming Mirrors | Side Assist | Headlight Assist | Cruise | TV Tuner | Advanced Key
llBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5th July 2012, 01:41 PM   #8

We don't get the rear fog-light option either! No rear fogs, and only rear parking sensors.. They don't like us over in Ingolstadt, do they

2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers
Old 5th July 2012, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
We don't get the rear fog-light option either! No rear fogs, and only rear parking sensors.. They don't like us over in Ingolstadt, do they
Maybe they are just trying to encourage us north americaners to come back to the homeland lol
Old 5th July 2012, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
My 2013 S5 Cab has rear fog.

2013 S5 Cab; Phantom Black/Black, Prestige Package, Driver Assist Package, Comfort Package, 19" 5-Spoke, Carbon Atlas Inlays
---------------------
2014 Q7 S-Line Prestige; Night Black/Black, Towing and Cold Weather Package, Adaptive Air Suspension
---------------------
---------------------
<Gone>2011 A5 Cab; Quartz Grey/Black, Premium+, NAV Package, 19" Sport Package B&O Souns, Exhaust Tips
Old 5th July 2012, 04:03 PM   #11

llBen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awdriver View Post
Maybe they are just trying to encourage us north americaners to come back to the homeland lol
Homeland? Germany? I doubt it Germans love to ship stuff OUT... don't take too kindly to stuff going in

Daytona Grey 2012 Audi A5 S-Line Black Edition Coupé 2.0T FSI Quattro 6MT
Mods: 9Jx20 ET26 RS Titan Rotors | S Exhaust | MMI 3G+ w/ RS Controls | Drive Select | Valcona/Alcantara Electric/Memory RS Super Sport Seats | Front/Rear Seat Heating | Passenger Memory | Hoen Fogs | LED Interior Light Pack | Storage Pack | Parking Camera | Folding/Memory Mirrors | Auto-Dimming Mirrors | Side Assist | Headlight Assist | Cruise | TV Tuner | Advanced Key
llBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 9th July 2012, 07:08 AM   #12

DinB is on a distinguished road

There are no front parking sensors in North America on A5 or the S5, only on the RS5. Trust me, this sucks since one of the top things that I actually like in the RS5 are the front parking sensors. At least we should have the option to pay for it. Same with the lack of power-folding mirrors.
DinB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10th July 2012, 03:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinB View Post
There are no front parking sensors in North America on A5 or the S5, only on the RS5. Trust me, this sucks since one of the top things that I actually like in the RS5 are the front parking sensors. At least we should have the option to pay for it. Same with the lack of power-folding mirrors.
yeah the lack of power folding mirrors was always annoying to me. I'm sure people always peg me as the guy who "cares too much about his car" when I'm walking around to the other side to fold up my mirror.

Wonder why we were shortchanged by Audi on the sensors and mirrors..

2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers
Old 10th July 2012, 08:07 AM   #14

Quote:
yeah the lack of power folding mirrors was always annoying to me. I'm sure people always peg me as the guy who "cares too much about his car" when I'm walking around to the other side to fold up my mirror.

Wonder why we were shortchanged by Audi on the sensors and mirrors..
Either they are assuming that many customers don't know about these features or they are afraid that an extra $400-$500 added to the cost of the car might break the bank of some potential buyers. Either way, it should be an option.
Old 16th July 2012, 03:10 PM   #15

S Five is on a distinguished road

You're kidding, you don't get power folding mirrors as standard on S5s?
S Five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th July 2012, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Five View Post
You're kidding, you don't get power folding mirrors as standard on S5s?
Standard? Not even an option!

---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Old 16th July 2012, 04:45 PM   #17

yeah those would definitely be some sweet options to have. I actually wonder why they made them not options.

is it really that difficult, are the cars that much different in Canada/USA then germany/uk?

you would think its more difficult to make a UK model then a NA model with the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. for canada all you really need to do is convert it english really, i think?
Old 16th July 2012, 11:11 PM   #18

JonnieB is on a distinguished road

I dont see why parking sensors can not be retrofitted and you wouldnt need fog lights if you get the Rieger front grille as it doesnt have them and if you did have them, you would need to turn off the fog lights in VCDs anyway -another cost.

I feel a front parking sensor mod coming on.....

I too am contemplating the riger front grille with the lower spoiler painted matt alumnium (silver) to match rear RS valance/diffuser.

Audi A5 TFSI
Mods: Rieger RS Bumper (cw headlight washers) - OEM RS Grille - Stone Deflectors - Rotor Alloys - Xenons - Self levelling - Chrome Mirror Covers - LED interior Lights - K&N Filter - Fiscon Bluetooth - Tinted Windows - RS diffuser - custom exhaust, black chrome tips - LED Plate Lights - Carbon Fibre Trim - Chrome Audi Ashtray - XCARLINK - DVB-TV tuner - Sline seats - Rear & Front camera - RS boot.
JonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17th July 2012, 06:21 AM   #19

togatown is on a distinguished road

I am also bummed about not having front parking sensors, especially since I believe my wife's 2011 Q5 has them.

2011 A5 Brilliant Red, S-line, 6 speed, Prestige Package, 19" Y" spokes, Side Assist, Hoen fogs, Weathertech mats
togatown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th July 2012, 05:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by togatown View Post
I am also bummed about not having front parking sensors, especially since I believe my wife's 2011 Q5 has them.
Q5 also gets the power folding side mirrors. (At least as an option)
Old 19th July 2012, 05:41 AM   #21

togatown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinB View Post
Q5 also gets the power folding side mirrors. (At least as an option)
Double bummed, how is that, I know they are totally different on the outside, but thought they share the same platform.

2011 A5 Brilliant Red, S-line, 6 speed, Prestige Package, 19" Y" spokes, Side Assist, Hoen fogs, Weathertech mats

Last edited by togatown; 19th July 2012 at 05:44 AM.
togatown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th July 2012, 05:53 AM   #22

It's pretty unfortunate that they would shortchange us here in the US on this feature.. The devil's in the details, and power-folding mirrors are great to have.. disappointing.

Wonder if a retrofit's possible

2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers
Old 19th July 2012, 06:26 AM   #23

rackingman is on a distinguished road

you guys need to talk to Audi USA and convince them that you are old enough and sophisticated enough to pick individual options rather than plumping for pre picked packs, which i understand is the standard for the states, so that historically there wasnt a huge choice, enabling the impatient punter to drive a new car off the lot without waiting.

perhaps if you pointed out that if they allowed you to personalise, you might spend more money with audi and less with the aftersales modifications?
rackingman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th July 2012, 06:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
you guys need to talk to Audi USA and convince them that you are old enough and sophisticated enough to pick individual options rather than plumping for pre picked packs, which i understand is the standard for the states, so that historically there wasnt a huge choice, enabling the impatient punter to drive a new car off the lot without waiting.

perhaps if you pointed out that if they allowed you to personalise, you might spend more money with audi and less with the aftersales modifications?
Perhaps.. I definitely understand your point regarding the "let's go to the dealer Monday morning and leave with a new car before lunch time, honey!" kind of mentality around here.

Mine was a build model that I had to wait almost 8 months for, though. Wish they'd offer euro-features for build models ordered from the US.. mabye that would incentivize us to spend more money on nicer upgrades (such as p-folding mirrors and front sensors, maybe even e-codes), despite the build wait time.

Yay America

2012 BMW X5 5.0i / Daily
2009 Benz GL450 / Hers
Old 19th July 2012, 06:41 AM   #25

rackingman is on a distinguished road

if merc, bmw, infiniti lexus all pre pack the options, audi usa are missing a marketing trick in not allowing you access to the full range of individual options on factory orders.

Incidentally my beloved is 5'2" and hasnt a clue where the front end of her a5 cab is without parking plus. no way would we had a new car and then gone messing around retrofitting stuff that comes as standard on a 10K kia (no disrespect to Kia).

you obviously dont have shortarses on the states?
rackingman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th July 2012, 06:48 AM   #26

JonnieB is on a distinguished road

Retrofit from APS to APS plus

Audi A5 TFSI
Mods: Rieger RS Bumper (cw headlight washers) - OEM RS Grille - Stone Deflectors - Rotor Alloys - Xenons - Self levelling - Chrome Mirror Covers - LED interior Lights - K&N Filter - Fiscon Bluetooth - Tinted Windows - RS diffuser - custom exhaust, black chrome tips - LED Plate Lights - Carbon Fibre Trim - Chrome Audi Ashtray - XCARLINK - DVB-TV tuner - Sline seats - Rear & Front camera - RS boot.
JonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.