Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Buying a 2011 S5

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  SAS5V8 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new car and the S5 4.2 seems to tick all the boxes.

Two things I cannot decide between are:

Manual or Auto?
B&O or Not?

I have always driven manual apart from my dads Prius and I do prefer the ease of use, but in a car such as this not sure what would be the better option to go for?

And with the B&O is it worth sourcing a car with one or is it insignificant in comparison to the OEM system?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Personal taste as always, but for me the B&O system isn't that great, over the space of a week I drove an A5 both with and without, wasn't much in it. The Bose system in the S6 etc is far superior. Only caveat being that it obviously looks nice on the spec list when you come to sell it.

#3 ·
I have the auto for the stop and go traffic. I enjoy paddle shifting. I haven't sat in a Bose vehicle but the B&O is really nice. I did end up upgrading the sub tho.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Only manual for me. That was the main reason I did not buy RS5. Yes, clutch replacement can get expensive.

As far as the sound - I am in high-end audio business, and normally listen to very high quality systems, but in a car I take what it has, I think the B&O system is good enough. Noise, the source material quality etc make this a non-issue for me.

I know some people like subs... to me they usually are a detriment. But yes - a matter of personal preferences.

#5 ·
As far as the sound - I am in high-end audio business, and normally listen to very high quality systems, but in a car I take what it has, I think the B&O system is good enough. Noise, the source material quality etc make this a non-issue for me.

I know some people like subs... to me they usually are a detriment.
This (although not in the high end business, I have a high end system, also without a sub....)

#6 · (Edited)
Manual or Auto? Well, it really depends on your driving preference and your type of daily driving. If you find yourself stuck in City Traffic a lot of times, I would chose the auto hands-down. If you spend most of your time on the highway, manual will be a good choice.

B&O or not: I personally chose to get the B&O System because I know I will never be satisfied with the sound quality of the stock Audi System no matter what. Sure, B&O sound quality is not for everyone. Some hate it, some love it. Sound quality is very subjective and only your ears can tell you whether they're good or not. Regardless, the B&O System will still sound better than the base stereo. If you can find a car with B&O, get it. You won't regret it even though you are not much into sound quality. You are buying a used car anyway, one having B&O won't command a premium compared to buying it brand new.

#9 ·
I got a 4,2 Tiptronic in March this year, one of those great deals, the car had a brand new engine and the gearbox had been reconditioned by Audi who I bought it from meaning I have a 1,5 year warranty on both! Having only bought manuals I must say I am loving the Tip! It makes the car feel much more expensive, I previously had the 3.0 TFSI in manual and the 4,2 feels like its a class up from that. Really great engine and the gearbox is much smoother than the newer DSG I test drove as well. Not as much tongue in the 4,2 low down as the 3.0, but my god when you rev it out its worth it! Yes you might lose some some involvement on a twisty road, but I drive the car every day and I find the paddles to be entertaining enough, the changes become much more aggressive in dynamic when using the paddles making a small jolt when you change under full power. Also go with the Bang, you notice the difference when you start turning up the volume, its much clearer and fuller sounding than the standard system. Do yourself a favor and find a dealership that has cars with both auto and manual, and both Bang and Audi sound systems and TEST DRIVE them! Thats the only way you'll find the one thats right for you! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.