• 1 Post By Dippy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)

Garage
S Tronic service questions

Just got my car in today having the S Tronic service which was overdue btw but should I expect to see metallic particles on the removed filter? When turning it around under the light you can see it glistening very slightly. Is this to be expected?

Someone also recommended shortening the intervals between getting it done as the ECU and gearbox is remapped, makes sense yes?

Will get some pics

Edit* Got some.

Audi S5 V6 Supercharged - Moby
- Ibis White Black edition - Stage 2 MRC Tuning 476bhp 576nm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jamin_00; 6th February 2017 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)

Garage
You need expert opinion however I'd suggest that some particles are expected if it is the original factory filter, because any new gearbox will surely shed some metal as it runs in.

For sure you should be reducing your maintenance intervals not only because your car is tuned but also because you track it. Didn't the guys at MRC advise this?

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #3 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

The filter and oil is only used for the clutch and hydraulic controls, it's not the oil that the actual gears are in. I guess the clutch is something which is wearing (hopefully slowly!) so maybe it's just from that?

2008 A5 3.0TDI quattro Tiptronic - 2012 A5 3.0TDI quattro S-Tronic Cabriolet

post #4 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
You need expert opinion however I'd suggest that some particles are expected if it is the original factory filter, because any new gearbox will surely shed some metal as it runs in.

For sure you should be reducing your maintenance intervals not only because your car is tuned but also because you track it. Didn't the guys at MRC advise this?
I have got in touch with Millers as they offer this service so will be sending a sample off. Yes MRC did mention about service intervals and I have done as such but forgot about the S Tronic box. The car has had 4 services in less than 2 years and is in for its 5th in a week or so, just waiting for the newer revision Millers oil I use to be released. Also has an inspection before any track day but I didn't do 1 track day in 2016 thinking about it?

Im now thinking having the box done every 20k miles as its only a couple of hundred

Last edited by Jamin_00; 6th February 2017 at 05:05 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Not sure I'd expect to see too much in the way of metal particles considering there is a much larger internal filter and two powerful magnets in the pan.

post #6 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The magnets were fine was his comment on that and we didn't cut open the internal filter when it was replaced.

I have purchased the sample kit from Millers so will send it off when it arrives and see what the report says. Will post the results when they come back but I have no idea how long that service takes.

post #7 of 15 Old 6th February 2017, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)

Garage
The major geek in me is looking forward to the report...!

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #8 of 15 Old 7th February 2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lol, Im looking forward to it although the only bit I will probably understand is "Your oil looks good/crap" the rest will probably mean nothing at all to me hahaha.

I have to comment though how much smoother the gearbox feels now. It was smooooth before and you hardly noticed the gear change plus people would comment how smooth the car was in just normal driving but now its just a difference in noise that lets you know when its changed gear so it has defo made a difference and Im happy with the result there.

Will be doing this service every 20k as mentioned above as its cheap to do and can only help in the long run just like doing every other service. Cant over service a car!

post #9 of 15 Old 7th February 2017, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)

unless you take it to Halfords who could fuck it up 9 times out of 10.

the 10th time they wouldn't do any work at all and still charge you but at least they wouldn't break anything this time....
Jamin_00 and Richard Groves like this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #10 of 15 Old 7th February 2017, 04:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradyne View Post
The filter and oil is only used for the clutch and hydraulic controls, it's not the oil that the actual gears are in. I guess the clutch is something which is wearing (hopefully slowly!) so maybe it's just from that?
Good point. I didn't think about that when replying. Of course if the hypoid/ATF oil seals have gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin_00 View Post
The magnets were fine was his comment on that and we didn't cut open the internal filter when it was replaced.
There's a note in SSP990193: "It is only necessary to replace the pressure filter if the ATF has been contaminated due to transmission damage. If swarf (metal chips), abraded matter, or other foreign material is found mixed in with the ATF, the ATF cooler must be flushed, and if necessary, replaced."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin_00 View Post
Lol, Im looking forward to it although the only bit I will probably understand is "Your oil looks good/crap" the rest will probably mean nothing at all to me hahaha.
As a reminder, my engine oil analysis report is here. I shall be interested to see what Millers' is like, especially since it is a lot cheaper.

post #11 of 15 Old 9th February 2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

As a reminder, my engine oil analysis report is here. I shall be interested to see what Millers' is like, especially since it is a lot cheaper.
And di you find out what it all meant?

My kit arrived today so I sending it off asap and see what comes back.

post #12 of 15 Old 9th February 2017, 04:00 AM

Garage
Well the most important thing I learned was that UOA is more of use to indicate possible issues with an engine later in its life, by comparing changes over previous UOAs, than for factory oil. There's a site https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary from which I got some good advice. In general it is accepted that factory oil can have increased metal content due to initial wear of components, and increased silicon from sealants used at the factory. So in my case when I get my second UOA done in March or April, I hope to see lower levels of aluminium and silicon. I understand that the oil labs have data which they can cross-reference to determine what levels of each component are to be expected. Of course unless they have data for DL501 oil then they can only reference a "typical" DCT. If your report shows high levels of metals then you'll need to check if those metals are present and can be expected from wear. So as @paradyne pointed out, we can expect some metal to wear off the clutches, but we don't know which elements are to be expected.

A note regarding the magnets - not all metals are magnetic. For example aluminium is paramagnetic so it only has a slight attraction. Possibly when small particles are suspended in oil they will need to get very close to those magnets in order to be removed by them.

post #13 of 15 Old 16th February 2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the report back.

All good apparently.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 25924-Ben Varley-16.2.17.pdf (282.3 KB, 40 views)

post #14 of 15 Old 16th February 2017, 09:04 AM

Garage
Good news. The highest level, which isn't very high, is iron, and it seems reasonable that there would be some of that in it. Since you saw some metal in the filter, it suggests that it has done its job well.
Jamin_00 likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 16th February 2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will do the same test in 20k miles time to see what its like then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode