Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Blown Head Gasket?

35K views 213 replies 17 participants last post by  TalibA5 
#1 ·
So yesterday on my way back from the store I saw the cars temp was starting to climb and then steam from the engine. I pulled over and a coolant line had come off and sprayed coolant all over. Luckily I was only a block from the house so I parked it and took the beater to get distilled water and G13.

Filling the coolant back up I am getting a lot of bubbling and boil over. I tried to bleed the system but it starts to over fill and when the car is off the expansion reservoir empties. I cant find a leak anywhere under the car or in the engine bay. I am hearing some bubbling near the passanger side cylinder bank.

Does this sound like a head gasket issues? Could it be something else?

#184 ·
I live right outside Fort Worth. Nice to have all the space in the country but a short trip for anything needed in town.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#185 ·
Yeah I was just outside the city. Right by the stock yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeTrammel
#187 ·
yes it is a fun area Mike.....my sister lives near Lake Highlands High School in the D part of DFW.....they're big car buffs but mainly American......we'll have to do an S5 drive by of their house if Beth and I actually get in the car and go there this summer. Gosh ..Pittsburgh to Dallas and back...... 12 miles a gallon.....what's not to like? lol

#189 ·
Lol. That would be nice. Now that the car is running proper I'm hoping to make a trip to Albuquerque New Mexico at the end of the month to see some friends and family. Only 600 miles but it takes a toll with the back issues. Luckily the S5 is lovely on the drive. Be sure to let me know if you and Beth decide to take the trip. You can leave the cats at home though.

Reactions: J Wood
#188 ·
The S4 drove fast Mike.....but honestly that may just be me....I am babying the S5 because I still haven't replaced the motor mounts and both are bad. Mines a manual and I can feel the drive train big time if i goose it....so maybe the S4 seemed fast as shit because its automatic AND because I'm technically "nursing" the S5 until those mounts are changed. I have bought all the parts....in fact ....I've bought the entire drive train mounts ....034 motorsports inserts....OEM engine mounts (people say the 034 engine mounts are not optimal for my situation) and so its just a matter of me getting in to the indie shop and all done at the same time. I can't change the engine mounts. I just can't do it out on the cold driveway....I'm too freaking old to be laying up under the car by myself trying to get that done. The guy doing it has expressed interest in a trade for my Saab 9-5 and so that makes the entire idea of HIM doing it much less painful in the wallet. I think he said around 800 labor for engine tranny and differential mounts \ inserts. Saab is gonna be worth most of that.

#190 ·
Sounds like a good deal. I haven't looked to deep into the mounts yet but I'm sure their time is coming. I'm starting to become quite comfy under the car. Not sure that's a good thing.

#192 ·
Riding the wave and living the dream. I like it!

#193 ·
So I just got back from Albuquerque NM. Had a great trip and got to meet @LimeyYankee for some coffee and a few pics while we eye humped each other's cars. Thursday when I checked into my hotel Bobby, the owner of the Audi dealership network here called. He was very apologetic and wanted to give me some of my money back. He kept asking me what I wanted to make it right, but I just kept telling him I wasn't going to ask for anything to make up for the fiasco that went down. Saturday he called and told me there would be a check for $1600 and some personal apologies waiting for me today. I don't really know what they are specifically apologizing for but I'm getting ready to go find out. Will update.

#194 ·
Nice to see parking skills as pisspoor in the new country as my local asda...

Anyways if you are as principled as I you will tell him to stick his apologies sideways...preferably with a thermostat still attached.

It's ok to take your money back though (!)

#195 ·
Ahh...Racks insults. It's like coming home. ?

Reactions: julianwhitta
#197 ·
I want to see what they are even apologizing about before I tell them to shove it sideways

#200 ·
I think this is the winner. Owner and the tech went round and round saying sorry without actually apologizing. I took the check and told them to have a nice day.

#199 ·
Nice to have you back, Mr Trammel. The pix of the trip to Alba... Ablu... the A place in New Mexico look great, and I've fallen in love with the expression "eye humping"!
I think Racks has the right of it - the apology (and financial lubricant) has more to do with getting caught than any more genuine desire to make good. However, I would disagree with the "tell him to shove his apology" approach (though Doc's advice to do so AFTER taking the money has real merit!). Instead, I favour the "we both know you're such a low bastard that you could dangle your legs off the edge of a postage stamp and not touch the envelope" smile as the cheque (note correct English spelling, barbarian!) is handed over.
This has so many positives: he knows you know he's nothing more than a snake oil merchant, so he loses whatever prop for his ego he might gain from you taking his money with ill-grace; you get to convey your (well-founded) view that he is an oxygen thief, without having to even break a sweat; and, smiling exercises far more facial muscles than frowning, so you get to maintain your chiseled good looks.

#201 ·
Well said Julian. The chiseled good looks part just goes to show what a brilliant gentleman you are. I let them know that their circle of lies were not only pointless but not well thought out. The tech offered to perform my next service and I kindly declined. Thanks for eye humping the pics.

#204 ·
Now I have to decide on high flow cats or deval rear diffuser

#206 ·
cats!!!!

I have also given some thought to your whore quandary.....

a whore negotiates the cost of the activity prior to participating.

you on the other hand got shafted, found out later you had been shafted, then off the back of that you got a payoff when it became obvious you weren't going to let them get away with it.

so that makes you an amateur victim turned blackmailer.

Attachments

#207 ·
But I'm a fancy cat! ?

#209 ·
What an amazing story and well done Mike, you fought and won!!!!! WOT a bunch of bastards, you really should send this both the Audi USA and Audi Germany.

#210 ·
They said they brought AoA for their meeting and paid them back for the warranty work they billed but I'm also doubtful of that. Think I'll email Audi this week just so I know they are in the loop. Thanks Simon

#211 ·
These guys really deserved to be hauled over the coals but of course it rarely happens if they buy enough cars!!! Bastards. Copy everyone Mike!!!!!

#212 ·
I only resort to pennies on a quote when I cant be arsed to work one out properly . I just guess and come up with a random number which suggests detailed calculations. And I suspect your compensation is just the same. Why not ask for an itemisation with individual values to ensure they haven't missed anything (!)

#213 ·
The explanation I was given was half of what I paid for the original tstat repair and control arm bushings. Minus the cost of the free watch of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.