Blown 2010 s5 engine - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 21st November 2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Blown 2010 s5 engine

Driving last night and out of nowhere a loud clunk, EPC light goes on and grinding from the motor becomes very loud... no powers on the throttle. I pull over, wait for a flatbed and get terrible news today. Cylinder 7 is blown and the valve or rod hit the top of the block. Dealer has no idea why it all grenaded and won't know without pulling the motor completely... in other words, my car has died.

I have maintained this car meticulously. Bought at 37k miles as a lease trade-in, I've driven to 120k miles and not missed one service. Additionally, I've had the inj cries replaced and while the top of the block was open o has the carbon buildup cleaned out. This is crazy expensive car that now has a blown motor not due to neglect. I find that ridiculous. I need advice on how and or who to contact at Audi USA... I'm getting ALL my service records together and can't believe this is happening. Has anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions??? I'm without a car. A new motor is $22k... and I had a warranty until 100,000 miles... again I'm at 120,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 21st November 2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, used my iPhone to post... should read i had the injectors replaced and the carbon buildup cleaned out.
post #3 of 44 Old 21st November 2016, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Garage
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would look for a salvage engine. I did that with my TT when it dropped a valve at 120k. ( It had lots of track miles and did not owe me anything)
MikeTrammel likes this.

Y'all Have a Great Day!

J. Patterson
Alabama

post #4 of 44 Old 21st November 2016, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Garage
Sorry for your trouble Jay, sad to say but I think you may be SOL with AoA. Salvage job sounds like a good idea. Positive Vibes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Audi S5 4.2L V8 Coupe
EPL Tune, Canyon Run Strut Bar, RS5 Front Grille and Fogs
AWE Touring Exhaust, AWE Carbon Fiber S-Flo
20x10 ET30 Vorsteiner VFF-103, Custom Flat Bottom Wheel
Blue LED Map and Dome, Courtesy, Glove and Trunk
Audi puddle light ghost projectors, JBL 10" subwoofer upgrade
post #5 of 44 Old 22nd November 2016, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

You mentioned the top of the engine was opened for a clean, how long after did your engine die? Like you, I find it hard to believe that a well looked after and serviced* engine should experience this kind of catastrophic failure... the fact that the problem has occurred after some pretty invasive work has been done makes my teeth itch...

Personally, Id love the opportunity to rebuild a v8, if 1. the car was relied on daily 2. had money to spend on gfb's

*serviced
from personal experience stealers services leave a lot to be desired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'10 3.0TDI Sline SpecEd Q
post #6 of 44 Old 22nd November 2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

A ticket has been opened up at AoA. The de-carboning and injector replacement was just done in February. The weird thing about this, is typically when an engine grenades like from a timing belt or something, it will wipe out an entire bank. or multiple cylinders. This is one cylinder, #7, and it drove it right into the top of the block. One cylinder and the entire motor is a pile of crap now. Strange... and I'd be willing to bet something got into it when the top was opened for that work in February.
MikeTrammel likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 23rd November 2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post
A ticket has been opened up at AoA. The de-carboning and injector replacement was just done in February. The weird thing about this, is typically when an engine grenades like from a timing belt or something, it will wipe out an entire bank. or multiple cylinders. This is one cylinder, #7, and it drove it right into the top of the block. One cylinder and the entire motor is a pile of crap now. Strange... and I'd be willing to bet something got into it when the top was opened for that work in February.
Id put my money on something like that too. Good luck, keep us updated!

post #8 of 44 Old 24th November 2016, 03:06 AM
C99

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Sad. Any pictures?

2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods
post #9 of 44 Old 24th November 2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Nothing to see except the plug from #7... and I've never seen anything like this... also, I now have additional info. Starting in January 2014, my car was showing cylinder 7 misfire faults and did so over 2 years and a number of services. The faults coincide with the the exact cylinder that grenaded... I've updated my case with Audi of America and I should receive a call Monday... so they say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5735_1480031196602.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	131674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5734_1480031217763.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	131682  
MikeTrammel likes this.
post #10 of 44 Old 24th November 2016, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Nothing to see except the plug from #7... and I've never seen anything like this... also, I now have additional info. Starting in January 2014, my car was showing cylinder 7 misfire faults and did so over 2 years and a number of services. The faults coincide with the the exact cylinder that grenaded... I've updated my case with Audi of America and I should receive a call Monday... so they say.
Ugh. It dropped a valve. Seen that before. It won't be pretty inside. This was my TT that grenaded one Sunday afternoon at Road Atlanta. Good luck with the claim. I guess there IS some validity to the theory that it is the result of an ongoing problem that caused the misfires over a long time. Valves can stick due to carbon fouling and be impacted by the piston. Not common but it COULD happen.

Y'all Have a Great Day!

J. Patterson
Alabama
post #11 of 44 Old 24th November 2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that plug looks similar. My hope is that because I have over 2 years of service being completed at exact intervals, and a dealer that never, not once, addressed the fault code for that cylinder, that it shows negligence on their part. It should have been addressed January 2014, and it showed the fault every subsequent service... I'm hoping...
MikeTrammel and Dan616 like this.
post #12 of 44 Old 25th November 2016, 04:16 AM
C99

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Patterson View Post
... I guess there IS some validity to the theory that it is the result of an ongoing problem that caused the misfires over a long time. Valves can stick due to carbon fouling and be impacted by the piston. Not common but it COULD happen.
Exactly what I think. That is why I use some chemicals before every oil change (every 15000 km) to clean carbon build-up.
Or 1 valve just reached the end of life...

2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods

Last edited by C99; 25th November 2016 at 04:46 AM.
post #13 of 44 Old 25th November 2016, 05:27 AM
C.B

Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Garage
I dont believe they check for fault codes as part of a standard service?

Always thought I would rather they do that than the 150 point check

2010 S5 Sportback V6T - Quartz Grey Pearl
post #14 of 44 Old 25th November 2016, 05:37 AM

Heart breaking, especially as a fault (with the same cylinder!!) has been present for so long. There's no way that shouldn't have been picked up during its major services at least?
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #15 of 44 Old 25th November 2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B View Post
I dont believe they check for fault codes as part of a standard service?

Always thought I would rather they do that than the 150 point check
From what ive read in the SOW, Diagnostics from the computer is specifically mentioned as a step, but only for 'flex fuel' engines... still they are quick enough to tell you that there are 'codes that need to be investigated' when it suits them to try and get some money out of you.
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #16 of 44 Old 30th November 2016, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Garage
How soon after the injectors were replaced did the car blow up-reason being I had an S4 get recalled for an injector and a day after picking it up I threw a rod. Come to find out they left cleaning fluid in the cylinder that ignited. They replaced my engine and paid my monthly car note while my car was being reparied. I was surprised they admitted that to me but I have a long and good relationship with my dealer. Hope things work out If I can be of any assistance just pm me
MikeTrammel likes this.

2008 coupe manual, H&R sway bars front and rear-custom eurocode endlink fornt spherical bushing rear,Miltek sport non-resonated exhaust with downpipes, RS5 grill,stratmosphere short shifter, Stoptech 380 bbk carbotech xp12 front rear, Olins track coilovers,APR supercharger Apr cold air intake, TTRS flat bottomed steering wheel, custom separate reservoir clutch fluid, BBS chr wheel with advan neovas, RS5 oval tailpipes, Recaro CS seats with Schroth racing harness, K40 radar front rear
post #17 of 44 Old 30th November 2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Injectors were replaced in February and the carbon was cleaned then as well. Wow, I can only hope Audi of America is as stand up as that dealer! I should know by tomorrow if they're willing to "offer assistance"... I don't even like the sound of that. This was a very costly mistake or problem to overlook on a number of occasions.
Dan616 likes this.
post #18 of 44 Old 30th November 2016, 10:42 AM
C99

120k miles = no chance for help from Audi in Europe...

but as we see in dieselgate, US has better costumer service...

post #19 of 44 Old 30th November 2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Garage
Keeping my fingers crossed for you Jay. Positive Vibes

2011 Audi S5 4.2L V8 Coupe
EPL Tune, Canyon Run Strut Bar, RS5 Front Grille and Fogs
AWE Touring Exhaust, AWE Carbon Fiber S-Flo
20x10 ET30 Vorsteiner VFF-103, Custom Flat Bottom Wheel
Blue LED Map and Dome, Courtesy, Glove and Trunk
Audi puddle light ghost projectors, JBL 10" subwoofer upgrade
post #20 of 44 Old 30th November 2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Heartbreaking is right.
From my industry you are going to want to get the dealer to provide you with the regional Audi Service Reps contact information. Then contact him separately from your dealership with your information. This does three things, lets Audi know you are serious, provides an additional paper trail, and gives you another person that is hopefully in your corner trying to find a solution.

I can come up with similar scenarios from when I was on the manufacturers side, and on occasion, we would provide the engine, and then the consumer would pay the labor. By no means is this the standard, but the exception. In your case, and with the records you have, I would expect SOMETHING from the Audi side. Especially troubling for me is the code. That should really provoke Audi.

Additionally I just did a quick search for a rebuilt salvage engine and while its ugly, its not horrible either.
post #21 of 44 Old 1st December 2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Audi of America says they are "only willing to cover 30% of parts and labor cost" which is still going to put me around $12,000+... despite a pretty decent history of faults that were unaddressed... I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do... came from BMW only to have a meticulously maintained vehicle, dealer serviced on time at every increment, blow up just over 100,000 miles... not happy.
post #22 of 44 Old 1st December 2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Garage
Sorry to hear that mate. Like mentioned above, best bet might me to go to the scrappies and see what they have. Run a search on eBay too.

Hope it all good news from here mate.

T.

2008 AUDI A5 COUPE | 2.0 TFSI | METALLIC TOPAZ BLUE

Let the mods begin...
post #23 of 44 Old 1st December 2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
see if they will still assist if you get an aftermarket rebuilt engine. I found one yesterday for under $6000 with core exchange

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2011 S5 4.2 V-8 Prestige

Powersports Industry guy
post #24 of 44 Old 7th December 2016, 10:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Audi of America says they are "only willing to cover 30% of parts and labor cost" which is still going to put me around $12,000+... despite a pretty decent history of faults that were unaddressed... I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do... came from BMW only to have a meticulously maintained vehicle, dealer serviced on time at every increment, blow up just over 100,000 miles... not happy.
Curious to know what you ended up doing, mate?

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #25 of 44 Old 7th December 2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

After weighing all my options and looking high and low for help, I have decided to go ahead with the engine replacement. There was only a couple thousand dollar difference in reman and new so I have opted for a new, crated, straight from Germany motor. Not cheap, but I would have only gotten $1,500-2,000 for it as is and to put myself in a new car would cost much much more... I hope I made the correct decision. The pricetag with Audi's 30% off will be a not so easy to swallow $12k+ with new motor and new clutch (while its open) with a one year warranty or 12k miles.
almostS50 likes this.

2010 S5
4.2L V8 | Nav package with backup camera and assist | B&O sound | 19" Five-Bi-Spoke Wheel Package | Autobahn Clear mask | 40% tint | Brilliant Black on Black | Audi Nav with 3G Mmi | Stainless Steel Texture Inlays | HOEN Xenonmatch Fogs | VAG-com mods

Others:
'93 Jeep YJ, 3.5" BDS lift, 1 " Prothane Body Lift, 33" tires, custom dash and glow gauges

25' Aquasport Osprey, 2012 Evinrude E-Tec 200 H.O., and rigged up

Recently Deceased:
2004 BMW 545 (flooded x3)
post #26 of 44 Old 7th December 2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Additionally, there is a small percentage chance that the current motor can be rebuilt... once its out and opened up I am hoping to find the ultimate cause of why it grenaded and if it can be fixed, great... I don't hold out much hope for this, but it would be nice to have a reason.
sparx likes this.

2010 S5
4.2L V8 | Nav package with backup camera and assist | B&O sound | 19" Five-Bi-Spoke Wheel Package | Autobahn Clear mask | 40% tint | Brilliant Black on Black | Audi Nav with 3G Mmi | Stainless Steel Texture Inlays | HOEN Xenonmatch Fogs | VAG-com mods

Others:
'93 Jeep YJ, 3.5" BDS lift, 1 " Prothane Body Lift, 33" tires, custom dash and glow gauges

Recently Deceased:
post #27 of 44 Old 7th December 2016, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)

Quote:
After weighing all my options and looking high and low for help, I have decided to go ahead with the engine replacement. There was only a couple thousand dollar difference in reman and new so I have opted for a new, crated, straight from Germany motor. Not cheap, but I would have only gotten $1,500-2,000 for it as is and to put myself in a new car would cost much much more... I hope I made the correct decision. The pricetag with Audi's 30% off will be a not so easy to swallow $12k+ with new motor and new clutch (while its open) with a one year warranty or 12k miles.
I think you made a right decision to go for a new engine vs reman especially with the small price difference. Also, if you can't afford to get another car, a new engine + clutch is the next best thing. Your current S5 will still much better than a brand new Toyota Corolla!

post #28 of 44 Old 7th December 2016, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Additionally, there is a small percentage chance that the current motor can be rebuilt... once its out and opened up I am hoping to find the ultimate cause of why it grenaded and if it can be fixed, great... I don't hold out much hope for this, but it would be nice to have a reason.
It would be nice if you could refurbish the old engine and sell it. Perhaps recoup some of the cash you spent on the new motor. Still sucks to have to pony up $12K...
post #29 of 44 Old 8th December 2016, 06:06 PM

Garage
Weighing up all the options, I reckon that was the best option... even if it was the most expensive option.

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #30 of 44 Old 19th December 2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Blown 2010 s5 engine

Well, the motor cannot be rebuilt, as I expected. And the culprit of cylinder 7 doing its best impression of a grenade??? A tiny spring inside the head they are referring to as an "exhaust spring"... I will post pics of that when I get my hands on it. The new motor has arrived in a crate from Germany and should be installed this week... hopefully by next week I have my car and can then decide what to do next... to sell or not... not sure, despite the new engine, that I'll feel the same way about the car.

Note: that is my old engine on the ground... that's not my wheel and the bumper on the right is not mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 S5

Others:

Recently Deceased:

Last edited by jaycal3; 19th December 2016 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode