Ceramic Brake Conversion - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 22nd December 2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Ceramic Brake Conversion

The following is a combination of a few separate posts so it may not flow well but all the info is there:

The two options I didn't tick when buying the car were the Sports Bucket Seats and CCB's. I've regretted not ticking the CCB box ever since.
There has been quite a lot of bad press with the wavy design rotors on the B8.5 model and although I haven't experienced any warping or juddering myself (car hasn't been used in anger yet) I did see a B8 RS4 in the Audi workshop having his entire brake system replaced due to overheated rotors. The service manager told me this wouldn't be covered under warranty as he'd taken the car on the track!

One email to Ales (Littledevil on the forum) later and I had a set of front CCB's on their way. Ales also told me about the rear conversion that can be made on the RS5 using the caliper and 370mm rotor from the RS6. To keep things looking good and to guarantee no future heat problems I went for the rear conversion too.

To say Ales service is fantastic would be selling him short, everything is handled professionally and very quickly indeed, from ordering to parts arriving on my doorstep takes 4 days and the support he gives is just as good. The kit contains everything from heat shields, new brake lines to all the nuts, bolts and washers, I was also emailed a pdf file of the parts and torque wrench settings required for install.

Ok, here a few pictures of the kit:

Fronts:

Rears:

Parts:

This is a simple bolt on, direct replacement kit, the only issue we had was bleeding the brakes but once we threw the ECS (Schwaben) pressure bleeder in the trash and did it the old school way we had no issues.

Install took around 1 hour per corner plus bleeding time.

Rear hub carrier

Front hub carrier

Front heat shield installed

Rear heat shield installed, both front and rear shields are much larger

New and old side by side

CCB caliper is larger although pad surface area is smaller

Front rotor fitted

Rear rotor fitted

Front caliper installed

It was dark by the time we had it finished so pictures aren't so good with the flash, I will get more in daylight

Rear looks great and works just as the old cast iron setup did, still not coded for CCB, our attempt at adding 30 to the code didn't work, I will come back to that later.

As I mentioned earlier, we had an issue with the Schwaben pressure bleeder I ordered in from ECS, it just did not work, at all, no fluid was moved through the system and that was taking the pressure up to almost the red, I'm not sure if it's the car or the pressure bleeder but it doesn't work as advertised. We disconnected it and pumped the fluid through the old school way of pedal down, lock it off, pedal up and the fluid came straight through.

Big thanks to the guys at Simon Motorsport, it's a refreshing change to find a workshop who know what they are talking about in this region.

The brakes still need one more bleed to get the pedal a little firmer but we ran out of brake fluid (we used 2ltrs to bleed).
Initial thoughts, even with a soft pedal, the brakes feel nicer to modulate, braking isn't as harsh at traffic speed, wind the speed up and get some heat into the rotors and these feel incredible, very strong and very confidence inspiring where the old system always has you wondering if you're carrying too much speed, these just feel like you can give them so much more, hard to explain but clearly an improvement.

Fitting is pretty strait forward if you are comfortable around a tool box, you will need a man sized torque wrench, a good quality bleeding kit and at the very least 3ltr of brake fluid.
I use all Audi equipment, even down to 4ltr of Audi brake fluid so they can't accuse any non OE equipment causing a problem.
I would also recommend having access to VCDS to correctly install the rear calipers if you go for this option. You need to pump the pedal to seat the pads against the disc and then select the rear parking brake out on VCDS, this calibrates the rears to thier normal position.

I'm yet to adjust the code for CCBs, I will do this when I'm sure I have the correct code.

Performance:

Well I'm 90% done with bedding them in, just have the high speed high pedal pressure runs to do but the performance is already outstanding, this is what the standard car should feel like, complete confidence in their ability.
The rear electronic parking brake works no differently than the previous setup, I've tried this on a steep parking ramp just to make sure.

Would I recommend the conversion:

Yes absolutely. If you've always thought "why the hell didn't I tick that box" and you've got the spare cash to do it then the front conversion not only performs so much better, it looks much better too.
The rear conversion can be made at any time and really balances out the feel of the car, I don't notice any nose dive when I hit the brakes, the car remains nice and level and under control. I'm sure you could buy 6 sets of rear standard rotors and pads for the price but these should last the lifetime of the car, they will out perform any aftermarket kit and they look amazing, the front and rear rotor look the same size, a really cool look.

A small modification to the rear calipers to complete the look:

Rear plates come in black which doesn't really match the silver calipers. So out came the rattle can of brake caliper paint. Rubbed down the plates to remove the original markings

The paint is a very close match to Audi Ceramic silver, not 100% matched but close enough. The surface of the caliper is a rough cast texture so the smooth plates will never look exactly the same.

Picked up a set of decals from Uber9 on eBay or their online store, their service was great, Adam even made up a card box for shipping these over to me.

Left the decals to rest on the plates for 24 hours and then clear coated them to seal the decal.

Fitted to the calipers, they look much better and complete the look of the rear conversion

As for the coding, well the codes seem to differ between RS5's but what is common to all RS's using the CCB's is the first two digits of the code begin with '30' so we will change my coding to replace the first two digits and see if the computer accepts it. If it doesn't then I have a code from a 2015 model with CCB. I'll report back on that in an update.

Last edited by JamesRS5; 22nd December 2016 at 05:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode