Trading in A5 for S5 - Page 2 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 111 Old 18th January 2015, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Collect every time! Travelled to Basingstoke for mine and loved every minute of the drive back. Although the car was not brand new I was so pleased with her I felt very special (and fortunate to own such a beautiful car) I must have had a huge smile all the way home.

A5 Sportback 3.0TDI S-Line | Scuba Blue | Tech Pack High: Blue Tooth, Sat Nav, Parking Plus | B&O | Heated Front Seats | Privacy Glass | RS5 Alloys | S5 Mirrors | De-chromed
To Do List:Paint Calipers, Rear Boot Spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 111 Old 18th January 2015, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)

collect.

post #33 of 111 Old 18th January 2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Garage
Typical rackingman, always the half measure... This should just about cut it...

Sorry, more helpfully (perhaps), try your iPhone torch on the paint of your current car and see what comes up. IMHO you probably need something a little brighter but it might be good enough to make sure there's nothing majorly wrong.

Current: MY2013 S5 Coupe, Estoril Blue, a number of toys.
Previous: MY2010 A5 Sportback S-Line 3.0 TDI quattro s-tronic - Ibis White, Tech Pack 2 (Nav, AMI, Adaptive Cruise Control), B&O, 20" '7-arm double spoke' design alloy wheels, heated front seats, Bluetooth.

post #34 of 111 Old 19th January 2015, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)

Garage
sirshorty, as per the previous discussion about detailing, booking a detailer to do the work at the dealer has the added advantage that he (or she) will be the one having a good look at the bodywork, and has a better eye for the task anyway. That's my current thinking.
post #35 of 111 Old 19th January 2015, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
I've had no luck with the dealer allowing that Dippy. I did ask and they flat out refused. I guess because they can probably see any damage whereas lots of new owners probably don't check that close for paintwork. I know I didn't on my last A5 purchase, although that was used.

MY 2015 S5 Coupé Black Edition, Daytona Grey, Lunar Silver interior, Advanced Key, Drive Select, Damper Control, Quattro Sports Differential, Assistance Package, Parking system advanced, convenience package, garage door opener, technology package high, Audi connect, door mirrors - adjustable + folding + dimming + memory function.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On Order: 2017 Tesla Model S, Enhanced AutoPilot, Premium Upgrades Pack, Deep Blue Metallic, Sunroof
post #36 of 111 Old 20th January 2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, so the dealer has called me and given me Build week 12, with an estimated delivery date of the 25th April.

Not too bad I don't think, 3 months?
I was expecting a 6 month wait minimum so great to see that it's coming in 3 months ahead of my plans!

Currently considering what to do with it first.
#1 Detail has been scheduled in with Ben at Pro Reflect. Whilst he did come in cheaper he is also coming to do the detail in my garage. So whilst I can't drive it whilst being detailed, at least I can pop outside and gawk over the beauty.
#2 Cheap & easy mods.R8 / Porsche Oil & Washer fluid caps. Maybe also the Supercharged badges on the side, although I'm thinking after a while I might de-badge the car.
#3 Stage 1 remap - this sounds awesome. Price, but awesome, however being a brand new car I'm assuming this will void warranty. May have to wait until after the warranty expires.

Plenty of time to ask more questions!

MY 2015 S5 Coupé Black Edition, Daytona Grey, Lunar Silver interior, Advanced Key, Drive Select, Damper Control, Quattro Sports Differential, Assistance Package, Parking system advanced, convenience package, garage door opener, technology package high, Audi connect, door mirrors - adjustable + folding + dimming + memory function.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On Order: 2017 Tesla Model S, Enhanced AutoPilot, Premium Upgrades Pack, Deep Blue Metallic, Sunroof
post #37 of 111 Old 20th January 2015, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirshorty View Post
#3 Stage 1 remap - this sounds awesome. Price, but awesome, however being a brand new car I'm assuming this will void warranty. May have to wait until after the warranty expires.

Yep, will void the warranty for anything engine or transmission related, IF the tune puts loads on the components that take them outside their design limits (or even just outside the scope of what a standard car can produce)

Defo worth waiting until the warranty expires unless you are happy to carry the risk.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black leather, 9x20 7 spokes, tech pack high, phone prep high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, cruise, DAB, parking system plus, storage pack, through load

2002 S8 4.2 Final Edition in Avus Silver with mauve (purple!) leather, 8.5x20 9 spokes, bi-xenons, heated 10 way electric Recaros, added RNS-E, hybrid TV and bluetooth goodness - and a Milltek
post #38 of 111 Old 21st January 2015, 05:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirshorty View Post
I've had no luck with the dealer allowing that Dippy. I did ask and they flat out refused. I guess because they can probably see any damage whereas lots of new owners probably don't check that close for paintwork. I know I didn't on my last A5 purchase, although that was used.
Hmm - I haven't asked my dealer yet. So what have you told your dealer - to just take off the protection and leave your car unwashed?
post #39 of 111 Old 21st January 2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
For now, yep don't touch it in any way after the PDI. Closer to collection time I'm going to ask them not to wash or dry the vehicle at all even if it looks dirty. Just so I'm being very specific in case they say 'well a wash is part of the PDI' or something

post #40 of 111 Old 5th February 2015, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I've just changed my order.
Had a slight change of heart on the colour and decided to go for Daytona Grey.
I've also added on Audi Connect, Damper Control and Sports Differential.

Bank balance is not going to like me when I have to pay for it !!!

Luckily the dealer said this hasn't delayed my order any further, still on for build week 12.

Last edited by sirshorty; 5th February 2015 at 04:38 AM.
post #41 of 111 Old 5th February 2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Garage
Well Sports diff should have been on the original order, silly. What's the point of ordering an S5 if you're not going to spec the Sports diff?

2014 A5 2.0T (Scuba Blue) | 8spd Tiptronic | MMI 3G+ w/Nav | Advanced Key | B&O | park assist | heated memory seats | autodimming heated mirrors
Mods: APR Stage 2 | Eurocode test pipe | 034 Tranny mount insert | S-Line flat bottom steering wheel w/ paddle shifters | S-Tronic shifter knob | RS Pedals | RS Grill | E-codes |20mm rear spacers | Tinted windows | LED fog lights | various VCDS tweaks | Pioneer subwoofer | Black painted brake calipers | Satin black window trim wrap |
post #42 of 111 Old 5th February 2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I saw a few posts that suggested if I wasn't going to track the car then there's no real difference. Same reason I wasn't going to bother with most of the 'engine' mods. I'm a techy geek, I like fancy satnav and LED's...

After reading some reviews and videos of the sports diff, it looks like it's just glued to the ground with a sports diff!

post #43 of 111 Old 6th February 2015, 04:59 AM

Garage
I'm always surprised when I read comments about sports differential only being useful on racetracks, especially when such people own a performance road car: Do these people ever drive fast round corners? But then looking at the specs of used S5s, it seems that a lot of people must buy them for the badge alone!

I don't know if I'm unusual, but when I decided that I wanted an S5, I made an effort to test drive S5s (or S4s) with the ADS options so that I could judge for myself whether or not I wanted them.

Sports diff was a no brainer. I had test driven two cars one with and one without a few days apart. Even just going around roundabouts with a bit of throttle was enough to feel the sports diff in action. (Unrelated, but the same test convinced me that a Nissan GT-R is a great track car but alas flawed for road use).

Damper control was somewhat less obvious, but nevertheless I could feel the difference. Having driven my B5 S4 for over 10 years with relatively stiff coilovers (first H&R and then KW), I fancied having the option to be able to soften the suspension a bit when I want a relaxing, more comfortable ride for a change.

Dynamic steering was very obvious and I very much liked how light it felt when parking. But I'm not sure I had enough experience of it to judge its downsides and I have since read some good (bad) opinions about it. I hope that I don't regret selecting it, but if I do, that there might be a possibility of changing the settings via VCDS.

Last edited by Dippy; 6th February 2015 at 05:03 AM.
post #44 of 111 Old 6th February 2015, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I dislike the way the adaptive steering varies the weight of the steering quite so aggressively. For town driving/in comfort mode it's generally OK, but left in Auto it will be very light at parking speeds but I often find half way round an urban junction it suddenly weights up due to speed.

I've driven an S4 without it and found it slightly easier to judge what the front wheels were doing than with. A lot of used cars have it, if they've got any of the ADS options, but it's the one I would most happily do without. If i was choosing one from steering or damping control at similar cost I would defo go for damping as it makes far more noticable difference to the civility of the car day to day

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black leather, 9x20 7 spokes, tech pack high, phone prep high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, cruise, DAB, parking system plus, storage pack, through load

2002 S8 4.2 Final Edition in Avus Silver with mauve (purple!) leather, 8.5x20 9 spokes, bi-xenons, heated 10 way electric Recaros, added RNS-E, hybrid TV and bluetooth goodness - and a Milltek
post #45 of 111 Old 6th February 2015, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There seems to be a very thin supply of test drive cars around where I am. My local dealership only had an old 2013 model S5 for me to test drive so I didn't really have much choice in being able to try out the extras.

Not that great really, considering they expect you to put down £50k on something you can't even try out first...

Last edited by sirshorty; 6th February 2015 at 05:55 AM.
post #46 of 111 Old 7th February 2015, 08:04 AM

Garage
Adrian, I assume that there are 3 settings to DS? If so do they change the speed at which it firms up?

Sirshorty, if you are concerned and can be bothered to travel a bit, Aylesbury Audi have a white S5 reg KV64GYW which is advertised as having dynamic steering, however as you can see in the boot photo, it also has sports differential. Also Hatfield has one reg LT64SFZ advertised with DS and SD. I can't see any with DC at the moment.
post #47 of 111 Old 7th February 2015, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Adrian, I assume that there are 3 settings to DS? If so do they change the speed at which it firms up?
Settings change the behaviour, but it's what it does in 'auto' that I don't like - it goes from 'comfort' light steering to 'dynamic' at about 10-12mph so if you're turning into a junction and accelerating through that speed it goes from light to heavy!

Ours is a pre-facelift so you get auto-dynamic-individual-comfort so really there's only 2 steering modes - comfort and dynamic. I can't say I've noticed a 3rd weighting anyway. In dynamic it's heavier all the way through the speed range.

post #48 of 111 Old 7th February 2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers @Dippy. I'm really not fussed with the Dynamic Steering. The other mods I'm sure will make a big noticeable difference for me.

Re: Sports Differential, does this reduce the amount of free space in the boot?

post #49 of 111 Old 7th February 2015, 12:32 PM

Garage
In the SB there is a small 'lump' sticking out the side at the back on the right - you can see it in the photos of the car at Aylesbury Audi. I don't know if this the same for the coupe. I understand that this is unique to the A5/S5 as apparently there is no such lump on the A4/S4.

For the two ADS options I can suggest the following:
1) Do you ever drive your car 'hard' round corners until you can almost feel the back end start to twitch - especially in the wet? (I have often done this in my S4 because a powerful car with Quattro is just so much fun to drive.) If the answer is yes then you will benefit from sports diff. If the answer is no then you might be wasting your money.
2) Do you ever think about the ride and handling of your car so that sometimes you'd like a firmer ride and other times a softer ride? If the answer is yes you'll benefit from damper control. However if you generally don't notice how your suspension affects your journey then you might be wasting money on it.
post #50 of 111 Old 19th March 2015, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I had a call from the dealership on Tuesday to say my car is being built this week !
He checked the spec on the audi manufacturing system and confirmed they have definitely added the extras and changed the colour - having heard horror stories of friends going to pick up their black car, only to see a white car waiting for them!

I'm expecting another call today or tomorrow to update me on the progress and hopefully an estimated delivery date

Shrek likes this.

post #51 of 111 Old 23rd March 2015, 07:55 AM

Garage
I asked to see a copy of the factory order of my car as soon as it was available so I could check it. I had a bad experience with my B5 S4 as the dealer omitted two no-cost options from the factory order and I didn't find out until I first saw the car to inspect it, and had already paid a huge percentage of the cost. This time I'm taking no chances. I will inspect the car before I pay anything more. It'll be an extra journey but worth it for peace of mind.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #52 of 111 Old 23rd March 2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've just had to question them as my order form still says black, although it says grey at the top. He assured me it was definitely grey........

post #53 of 111 Old 23rd March 2015, 08:36 AM

Garage
Wrong colour is probably not so bad if the wrong colour is acceptable. If it turns out to be black and the dealer offers a big discount for you to still take the car you probably would wouldn't you?

post #54 of 111 Old 23rd March 2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Wrong colour is probably not so bad if the wrong colour is acceptable. If it turns out to be black and the dealer offers a big discount for you to still take the car you probably would wouldn't you?
Definitely, although I doubt the dealer would offer me much more discount, given the discount they've already given?

I imagine if they kept the car on their showroom it could be sold within days / hours at possibly a higher price than we paid via carwow.

post #55 of 111 Old 23rd March 2015, 09:09 AM

Garage
Maybe, but if it does happen you'll want to kick up a big fuss and be ready to walk out the door as I'm sure they can find another £1K if they had to.

post #56 of 111 Old 27th March 2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
"Pete,
Vehicle is manufactured and in transit from the factory to the port in Germany. I will update again next week."

I've asked them to do the PDI but don't wash it in any way.

Getting closer !!!
Shrek likes this.

post #57 of 111 Old 31st March 2015, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another update - although pretty much the same response:
"Showing in transit from factory will check again on Thursday."

post #58 of 111 Old 2nd April 2015, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Still in transit from factory. Not sure how long it takes to get from the manufacturer to the port?? It's been almost a week in transit now

post #59 of 111 Old 15th April 2015, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally had an update to say my S5 is on the boat and on it's way to the UK!
Saw a few people on here mention they were able to track their car by finding out what boat it was on somehow?? Any idea how that's done?
Shrek likes this.

post #60 of 111 Old 15th April 2015, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Garage
AFAIK no one has ever been told what boat their car is on but if you go to Marine Traffic then you can have a bit of fun trying to guess the boat it's on...

As you are Hampshire based (and assuming a reasonably local dealer) then I think the most likely port is Sheerness in Kent, coming from Emden in Germany.

Current: MY2013 S5 Coupe, Estoril Blue, a number of toys.
Previous: MY2010 A5 Sportback S-Line 3.0 TDI quattro s-tronic - Ibis White, Tech Pack 2 (Nav, AMI, Adaptive Cruise Control), B&O, 20" '7-arm double spoke' design alloy wheels, heated front seats, Bluetooth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode