36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 1st March 2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Ordered 2018 S5 Sportback - Finally...

I've been planning this for a long time... Just noticed that I joined this forum in the fall of 2011, originally looking at a 2012 S5 with the 4.2L V8. I didn't pull the trigger back then for a lot of reasons, but it did give me a solid 5 years to save up some money and make plans for Euro Delivery trip. Although I haven't posted a lot, I have learned a lot from all of you about tuning, maintenance and repair along the way. Thank you! I met another Anchorage, Alaska member through this forum who had purchased his S5 via European Delivery and raved about it. I joined the Audi Club of North America 4 years ago and have been reading almost every forum on the subject I could find.

I've now ordered a 2018 S5 Sportback in Gotland Green w/ Black interior.
US Spec Prestige
  • HUD
  • Interior lighting plus
  • B&O 3D sound
  • Nav package
  • Top view camera

S Sport Package
  • Red brake calipers
  • Sport adaptive damping suspension
  • Sport rear diff

Driver Assistance Package
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Active lane assist
  • High beam assistant
  • Traffic sign recognition

Fine Nappa leather interior
19" 5-spoke-cavo-design wheels
Rear side airbags

Anticipated delivery date of May 24, just waiting for factory confirmation now. I'm really looking forward to FINALLY getting my S5. Buzzing with anticipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 2nd March 2017, 01:09 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)

Garage
Great spec, Skimo, and that Gotland Green is gorgeous! Try not to chew your nails down to the quick waiting!
Audi Bairn and MrSkimo like this.

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #3 of 38 Old 2nd March 2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)

Congrats on placing an order for the new S5 SB. Looks like you checked out all the boxes except for Dynamic Steering. Gotland Green is certainly going to be a very rare color. It will be a sight for sore eyes in a sea of blacks, whites, and various shades of grey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 Old 2nd March 2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)

Garage
Sod the S5....are you actually a real Eskimo?!

I can't compete with that....I might as well leave now....

And you have a newer shinier S5....

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #5 of 38 Old 2nd March 2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone - yes, I did want to avoid the "sea of black, white and grey". I know there are some really nice hues in there, I just wanted a splash of color!

I know, I kind of did check all the boxes. I wasn't a fan of the dynamic steering, so I left that one off. The other one I passed one which was a little tougher was the cold weather package. It has the heated steering wheel and the heated rear seats. Audi can't figure out how to heat the flat bottom steering wheel, and I really wanted to keep that. I would have paid extra for the heated rear seats, but the US Spec doesn't allow that as a standalone option.

DrEskimo - I am indeed part Yupik Eskimo, but then again - I'm not a Doctor! There's room for two of us!

Cheers,
MrSkimo
post #6 of 38 Old 2nd March 2017, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
That makes you the A5OC's very first genuine Eskimo! Awesome!

post #7 of 38 Old 2nd March 2017, 07:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

What an exciting time this is for you.....and I especially like your planning and the careful mindful weaving of a dream.

It's hard enough to get good sleep when the May Alaska sun never sets at all.......how will you ever be able to sleep waiting for the day you go to get your car?
MrSkimo likes this.

"If Mama Cass had shared that chicken sandwich with Karen Carpenter...they'd probably both still be alive"
post #8 of 38 Old 3rd March 2017, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
That makes you the A5OC's very first genuine Eskimo! Awesome!
I see. Dr Eskimo's fake credentials were a problem were they? Who was the first genuine Australian on A5OC?
julianwhitta likes this.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #9 of 38 Old 3rd March 2017, 01:01 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Nope, never had a problem with Doc's fake credentials. Quite admired them, in fact. As to who was the first genuine Aussie on the forum, dunno. However, if the practiced and refined bucketing I received from the Doc, Racks, Jamin, Juice and others when I first joined is anything to go by, it surely wasn't me!
Audi Bairn, MrSkimo and plat27265 like this.

post #10 of 38 Old 13th March 2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh man, i would be like little boy waiting for xmas again!
post #11 of 38 Old 13th March 2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnttiH View Post
Oh man, i would be like little boy waiting for xmas again!

I am - crazy anticipation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 38 Old 14th March 2017, 03:37 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

Garage
Wow sounds fantastic!!! PLEASE take loads of pics of your visit to the factory and have loads of fun!!!!!
MrSkimo likes this.

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
162,000km. Full black leather interior. Love it !!
Recently had the wheels refurbished, bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of new Brembo discs and pads just fitted and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers. Just replaced all 4 shocks too.
post #13 of 38 Old 22nd March 2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I received my welcome package for Euro Delivery from Audi this week. It came with all the paperwork, insurance policy, drop off information, brochure, and a really cool chrome luggage tag. To top it off - they added a $50 gift card for the Audi Collection so I can get some swag to get in the spirit!

My car goes into production the first week of April, and I am scheduled for pick up on May 29th. I have changed my itinerary several times, but one of my main goals is to do at least one lap on the Nordschliefe (but really - can you do just one?). Opening dates/times at the Nurburgring around my start and finish dates are not really convenient and for the most part are two hour evening openings. So I looked at scheduled events and contacted some track day sponsors. I am now seriously considering a two day DE at the ring.

I am thinking that I should start another thread for this, but I am concerned about taking stock S5 brakes for a multiple day DE. I won't have much time to do the work, but I would like to take the appropriate tools and swap pads, brake lines and fluid. The problem is, that as this is a brand new model - I can't get any information on the OEM parts or the upgrade parts from tuners or part stores.

I am open to any advice or information on whether (and how) I should upgrade the brakes, and if there are critical mods I should consider that I can do with a few hours of time. Thanks - MrSkimo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 38 Old 22nd March 2017, 12:17 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Absent any data at all on the new platform, you'll have to fall back on conventional wisdom, Skimo. At the very least, that's going to include a brake system flush, and refill with something suitably high-boiling-point. After that, I dunno...

post #15 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
Absent any data at all on the new platform, you'll have to fall back on conventional wisdom, Skimo. At the very least, that's going to include a brake system flush, and refill with something suitably high-boiling-point. After that, I dunno...
Thanks Julian - I agree. I just posted a new query in the track section, we'll see what I get back. I have read some new posts that discuss the upgraded front brakes with a 6 piston setup. Sounds industrial, i just don't know if the fluid and pads are up to 2 days on the Nurburgring!
post #16 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And... just got confirmation this morning that my car was built last week, and I am set for pickup in Ingolstadt at the Forum at 9:30 am! So excited!! It will be hard to focus on anything else the next 6 weeks. My 16 year old son and I are heading over together and will be tearing it up for 2 weeks.
post #17 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Yeah, I was just reading the post. Running out of brakes on the Ring wouldn't be any fun, particularly in your brand spanking new car... And, the Ring IS hard on brakes. If it was me, I'd have braided lines on hand, along with competition pads, to go with the high temp fluid. You ought to be able to get the braided lines pretty much made up on the spot... I'll see if my German mates have any ideas about this. Stay tuned.

post #18 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 02:44 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
My two pennies worth. You are collecting a brand new motor and you have spent loads of hard-earned dosh. I personally would visit the N'berg and drive round with a cup of coffee in one hand and a video camera in the other and I would NOT thrash my car to within an inch of its life, so for me the standard brakes are good!!!!!

I work with a bike race school in Italy and one of the wierdist moments was when we hosted a guy who turned up with a stunningly fast bike plus T shirts to tell us he had attended race training events in the States. Well on the FIRST lap of the track when we ask the guys to warm up the bike engine and the tyres and just have a gentle look at the circuit, he managed to fall heavily at the second corner and smash his bike up and break his shoulder too!!!!. So training day finished and off to local hospital for X rays and bandages and stuff and then in the evening we had to load his bike back onto his trailer for him and then drive his car and trailer (and him) home to Roma, 180km away. What a twit!!

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
Recently had the wheels refurbished, bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of new Brembo discs and pads just fitted and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers. Just replaced all 4 shocks too.
post #19 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 03:19 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Yes, but it's the Nurburgring! I mean... it's the Nurburgring! Of course there's a risk, but... it's the Nurburgring!

post #20 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)

being somewhat risk averse ( with my money)I would pre hire something at the track that's prepared (and insured) for some fast laps

I might not even baby the new s5 round one lap for the opportunity to say I'd driven it round.

in fact I would say I had driven it at the ring and raced hard against the locals...just omitting I had only driven the 5 at the car park and the racing was done in something else.

and yes its good to have a real aboriginal eskimo here as dr eskimo is neither and whittas not a proper Australian coz he puts water and OJ in his meths.
MrSkimo likes this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #21 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@SimonRoma - I totally appreciate what you are saying. That was my original intent - I was just going to take one or two laps during the tourist drive and just have the experience. However...

The days where I could be at the Nurburgring, beginning and end of my trip, were closed with track events for all but two hours. I didn't want to take the chance of missing out on the opportunity to experience it because of a closure or inclement weather. So I found out who had the track for the day and contacted them. Turns out it was a Supercar event by Gran Turismo limited to 140 cars. They welcomed me to join them.

It's a bit more than I had intended to spend, but includes three nights hotel, food and instruction. So, walk through on the course with instructors, driving with instructors, and very few other cars on the track sounded like an exciting proposition. I briefly considered renting a race car for at least one day, but the cost was going to be more than the event itself. I hadn't budgeted for that kind of expense on top of my new purchase... I will try to heed your warning (lots of self discussion about it), but like Julian says...it's the Nurburgring!

At this point I am committed. Just need to do it safely...

post #22 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rackingman - your post snuck in there while I was composing. I do know it's a risk and I fretted about it. The DE was €3.000, renting a proper race car was €4.000 for two days. Loads of money on top of the purchase. So anyone have info on the brakes?!

post #23 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)

Apparently if you know what you are doing you don't need brakes too much......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc
julianwhitta likes this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #24 of 38 Old 19th April 2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually that segment with Sabine Schmitz was probably what cemented my desire to drive the Nurburgring myself way back when. Sabine was an instructor on this particular track event I am attending in the past. She is not this year, but there are many other rock star drivers and instructors. I'm pretty excited to participate.
julianwhitta likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 6th May 2017, 11:05 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
In my opinion and experience (with bikes, but I think it is the same thrill) there is NOTHING to compare with a track day with experienced instructors. It changes yer life cos you learn stuff that you only dreamed about learning.

From my first track training day in 2005 with my R6 at Vallelunga, an amazing world level circuit near Roma, I became soooooo hooked that I now work with a race school with my R1 and now GSXR1000, and we have trained at Vallelunga, Magione and Misano. I have become a better rider cos speed teaches you so much, and I am about a 400% better rider than I was. And I get PAID for having fun. Amazing.

Have fun!!!!
MrSkimo likes this.

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
post #26 of 38 Old 26th May 2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting close! I pick up my car on Monday!! We're having a holiday weekend in Iceland right now on our way to Munich. The 24 hour racers will have the track all warmed up for us in Nurburg.
julianwhitta likes this.
post #27 of 38 Old 29th May 2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Great day at the Audi Forum in Ingolstadt this morning. Met my new car and had a great tour. Quite an impressive place.

Then a quick run to Nurburg and now we are hanging out on our hotel porch overlooking the Green Hell. Whew - tired already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plat27265 and Mr.wreckless like this.
post #28 of 38 Old 29th May 2017, 01:08 PM

How did your new S5 SB feel while you drove it around the Nurburgring? Did it meet expectations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 38 Old 29th May 2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plat27265 View Post
How did your new S5 SB feel while you drove it around the Nurburgring? Did it meet expectations?

Haven't done so yet. Just drove over here from Ingolstadt so far. Felt real good on the Autobahn on the way here though! Don't have a good feel for cornering yet though. Will let you know after tomorrow....

plat27265 likes this.
post #30 of 38 Old 29th May 2017, 01:12 PM

I am so looking forward to reading your report! Have fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode