Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Finally finished my detail!!!!

6K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Jamin_00 
#1 ·
Having done a 2 stage paint correction I was finally ready to get my ceramic coating applied, ECO Shield in my case from Liquid Elements.

It didn't look like it was going to happen today but come 1ish this afternoon it started to look like it the weather was getting better.

So I rushed out and finished the final polishing on the passenger side and the boot so I could get it washed and IPA's ready for the ceramic. I have to say I was very nervous but this turned out to be unfounded as it was soo easy to apply it was ridiculous. You simply apply it via an applicator to the whole car then work around from where you started buffing it off. The buffing part has to be spot on so as not to leave any streaks etc as they will then be on the car for a few years lol. Then I did another coat as you have about 20mins after the first coat to get another on before the net starts to grow and cross links sealing it down for good. This was just to add that bit more protection and make sure I didn't miss anything. Then a final buff making sure I got it all then another buff lol. I was sweating like a pig but it was so worth it imo.

White can ping and shine!!!!

And a vid also trying to show its look as the pics and tbh the vid just don't do it justice!! It looks wet and soo slick :) Well chuffed with the results

See less See more
1 6
#2 ·
Looks stunning Jamin :thumbsup:

#3 ·
+1
Looks brilliant Jamin.
But wait a minute......... Something's missing............ One of your supercharged badges has gone awol......... How come?

#4 ·
Thanks guys and oh yes AB, the other weekend I was washing and noticed it was loose so I just pulled it right off and stumped up fooking £50 odd for a set of genuine ones that are on there way to me now :(

I did prep the surface properly and used an IPA mix to make sure the surface was clean so no idea why it happened.

#5 ·
Bummer :surprise:

Since I copied you, mine have been fine (so far) but I'll keep an eye on them mate.

I must say that IMHO it looks way better with the V6 Supercharged than the original V6T badging so thanks for initial idea :thumbsup:

#6 ·
The other appears fine so perhaps it was a dodgy one??

It was quite loose when I noticed it but checking the other it does seem fine so they should be fine. Although the OEM ones look like a different material as these ones are a thin metal, the others look like a fatter maybe plastic ones?

Will see when they arrive.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
#8 ·
Oh blimey, ok here goes lol.

Pre wash with Citrus Magic. Let dwell for 5-10mins. Rinse
Snow Foam. Let dwell for 5-10 mins. Rinse.
Wash using the 2bm
Dry
Now on to polishing. I used a Microfibre cutting pad with Meguairs Correction Compound which says for pro's only but no idea why lol. Do the whole car with this and the key is to take your time. This has taken me since I got the car to do which is over a month on weekends.
As you polish a section clean off with Filler Killer or something like that.
Then do the whole car again with a finishing pad and polish. I used a Red foam pad with Black Diamond from Liquid Elements as most off all this stuff is from anyway that I use at least. This final stage removes and marring etc caused by the MF cutting stage.
Again Filler Killer after each section done.
Then wash the car.
Dry.
Filler Killer the whole car as it needs to be as perfect as possible to apply the ceramic.
Then using an applicator load it with ECO and apply to the car in long smooth strokes.
Keep loading the applicator as needed when it starts to lose its slide.
Once done the whole car buff off. This is important as you need to get the whole car buffed with no marks smears or streaks at all so double then triple check after this.
I then applied another coat as you have 20mins if you want to apply another coat so repeat as nesscessary up to 3 times but after 2 I was sweating buckets lol as this was going to be my final coat I buffed it a good few times then on hands and knees checking 110% I not missed anywhere. I prob still have lol.

The prep can all be done at any time but then the morning off applying the Eco thats the wash and filler killer stage ready for the Eco Shield. Apparently I cant wash it or use any products on if for 7 days while its hardening properly as stuff can interfere with this process. And after 2 days it will look even deeper gloss.

I actually done the polishing in sections as and when I could and would then carry on the next weekend. Take your time as getting the final result is massively dependant on your prep :)

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
I'll drop my A5 round yours today thanks Jamin :thumbsup:

#11 ·
thats a cracking job you have done....

almost as good as Demon Shine, but a lot more trouble......................................................

kidding....apart from the "lot more trouble".

did the cab, the dogmover and daughters skip last summer.

the new dogmover needs doing....the cab needs doing......the skip wont get done.

Reactions: Jamin_00
#12 ·
Thanks for the reply. Where do you buy Eco shield from?? Looked online but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. Also with you saying it took you a month to do on weekends. Say you polished the rear end... Then left it till the following week. Do you then wash the whole car again and this time polish a new area?? Thanks again guy

#13 ·
ECO SHIELD Ceramic Coating ? Liquid Elements UK

Yes, say I did the rear and left it a wash is always needed even if its overnight as any dirt that lays on the paint with the machine will only cause more damage than good and yes, then move on to a new section :)

#20 ·
Going over the limit a little bit won't hurt anyone except for the odd endangered penguin in Antarctica.

How do you like the 3L TDI?
Was contemplating that engine but not too keen on the limited revs of a diesel.
Always been a fan of high revving petrol engines, coming from a brilliant high revving Japanese 2.4L VTEC.

#25 ·
very very very nice, i wish i knew how to do this sort of stuff, i am so worried about ruining my paint work, espcially now it has just been fully resprayed (original colour Ibis White) it was just not looked after by the previous owner so i wanted it as fresh as a daisy.. any advice for fresh paint (week old) not on the road yet scared of it getting dirty lol

#26 ·
Thanks, I only been doing it a year or so and man was it confusing to start with lol. You learn as you go and with the help of Marc from Krystal Kleen Detail I got a stunning looking car if I do say so myself lol :)

Week old paint, don't touch it for at least 30 days with any form of sealer. you need to let the paint breathe.

Then, when you do use the normal 2 bucket method to wash. Use a nice soft plush pad. A nice luxury shampoo. Drying, I would use my air dryer on the car and nothing else.

The good thing with new paint is you will have no swirls, scratches etc. Minimise the washing for the first 30 days as this is where most of the damage is done.

After the 30 days or so are up I would have a ceramic on it ASAP!!! I would do a polish with the DA and a finishing pad and compound so its doing no correction but bringing out the shine EVEN MORE.

Then get that paint work protected and nothing is better than a ceramic. DO IT!!!!

#27 ·
Thanks for the tips Jamin,

The car wont be seeing the road for probably 30 days, it will be sat without wheels for a few weeks due to having them refurbished (dont get me started on that one, i cannot decide on a colour!!)

The plan is to flat and buff it with a G3 compound, it was after that i was unsure what to do, its good to know i need to leave it 30 days, i was thinking of doing it this weekend!! i had better not, i am glad i asked!! car is booked in for a full interior valet (£150 worth) the first week in august so that is when it will first see the road.

Its all very technical this detailing and from what i can tell expensive too, thats why i wanted to get it sorted out before it hits the road and i start getting any sort of damage, etc.

The ceramic looks bloody amazing, i will definately give that a shot but i had better do my research first on how to apply it!! i hate to sound like a real novice but i keep hearing about the two bucket method but i have no idea what it is!!

Thanks again, i will have to have a look at the detailing section but im scared to and i can see my wallet quivering at the mention of it!!

#28 ·
2 bm is simply using 2 buckets. 1 with the shampoo in and 1 for rinsing the wash pad after its been on the car so all the dirt comes off in the rinse bucket. Also, get grit guards for the buckets so all the dirt is at the bottom of the bucket and doesn't come up to the pad.

This is one of the few ceramics that can be applied by the consumer, others require a pro to do them.

This one is one off if not the most user-friendly. Simply apply it too the whole car using a cross pattern then buff off. The buffing off is very important as you can not leave streaks, marks etc as they will then be there for years lol. You can polish them out but just buff it off properly and then no issues ;) Then apply another coat within 20mins as after this it starts to seal. Then when buffing this coat off you got a good 40 mins or so to get it spot on. So use the time, go around the car making sure you not missed nothing. Buff Buff Buff then just leave it. Its weatherproof in 4-6 hours. Its max shine will come after 2 days I think and at that time its at 90% strength. After 30 days its fully cured and can take on the world :)

Trust me, I was VERY nervous about applying it but afterwards I was like "all that for nothing" lol. Even so, done my mates R8 the following weekend as its that easy to do. You just need to have the paint work fully prepped prior but thats where your lucky ;)

#29 ·
It looks like i need to make some investment :yikes:

Some great tips, thank you, i could do with a dummies guide lol!!

I have just paid for the Mrs fiesta to have 'diamond bright' applied at the Ford Dealer, her dad had it done on his 15 plate Mondeo and it was like glass, really stunning finish, my partners car is a little older (63) and it looks good but I don’t think they put in the prep work, and she has to use a special cleaner or so they say, and of course it’s a cleaner they have supplied!! But it states life time guarantee, never polish again!! I think that is quite a bold statement!!

#30 ·
Not sure what Ford use, but theres a general consensus on here that the Audi dealer 'paint guard' (GuardX, SupaGuard, etc.) is not really worth it. The whole process typically takes anywhere from 6-9 hrs on a new car, and double that on a used car. Theres no way the dealer will put that much time and effort. Much better off either doing it yourself or paying for a local detailer to do it.

Never heard of a specific cleaner! You would only want to use a car shampoo, since anything like Fairy washing up liquid is too harsh and will instantly strip any wax or sealant off the car (imagine a ceramic coat would be more resilient, but wouldn't use washing up liquid for a host of other reasons as well!), but otherwise you will be fine. The fact they sell you this 'special cleaner' makes me even more suspicious of the validity of their work TBH...!

Some good guides on YouTube are AMMO NYC (really like the guy on that) and Chemical Guys (although their constant marketing can get old...). Also +1 with Junkman, he's pretty funny too :) Auto Obsessed do a few good videos as well.

#31 ·
Yea, Id never go with the dealer stuff, lifetime warranty? Hmm ;)

This stuff is hard! 8.5H I think they say which is considerably harder than any paint including Audi's and they are a pain as they are HARD! This will only last 2-3 years depending on varying factors.

There are special shampoos to use with a ceramic coating but not needed. They do help repair the coating as they contain small amounts of the active ingredients, SCI02 in this case but it remains to be seen how much of an effect this will have over its lifetime. I use it most washes tbh lol and also a qd from SiRamik that also contains SCI02, 7% I think and they have a 9% version coming soon too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.