Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S5 Detail & ODK wax review

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  jamesfaulkner 
#1 ·
Been a while since anyone posted a detailing session, so thought you lovely chaps might be interested in a write up i did over at DW for a new wax that ODK gave for me to review. Its got shed loads of pics of my Sepang S5 if nothing else interests you...:thumbsup:

Right, so after being kindly selected to try out ODK Revere I decided to take more photos than usual and document my detailing session of my pride & joy, a 65 plate Audi S5. Had it for about 7months now and just ticked over 6k miles. Love it to pieces and love the colour to pieces. Don't care how common it is on S Audi's!!

So may car hasn't been washed in a fair few weeks. It was wearing a coat of Pete's 53 that was applied about 3months ago, as well as a couple of squirts of BSD/V7 mix after the last 2 washes. It was probably on its last legs, but I decided to use a few products to strip as much as I could to give the ODK Revere wax a clean slate to work on.

Here is the car before I began:

I got myself a tool bag from Screwfix in the morning and was happy with the way it could hold pretty much all my regular washing kit :)

My strategy for this wash was to hit it with three products before contact washing to reduce time, and strip as much of the old LSP as possible. Started with APC (CG Nonsense mixed 10:1) which I used on the wheels and lower parts and front bumper.

Yuck :censored:

Thanks to CarPro Quartz, A spray of APC and then jet wash got the wheels 90% there :)

I planned to use VP citrus pre wash as the weapon of choice, but I stupidly forgot it, so had to go with snow foam. This was KKD Blizzard in a foam lance.

Not as thick as usual...think my foam lance needs looking at...

Got my buckets ready while I let this dwell (although the sun did mean I couldn't leave it as long as I wanted :()

After a rinse, I then attacked the car with EZcare Tar remover and Iron X on the wheels (did that prior to snow foam, hence the 'raspberry ripple effect' in the snow foam pic).

Looked as though this pre-wash routine got rid of most of the LSP.

Used the remaining foam and then got to washing with CarChem 1900:1 (Bilberry scent) and my Dooka wash mitt using 2BM.

My Megs Lambswool mitt for the lower parts gave up the ghost though :mad:

Open hose rinse after washing and then dried with my LE Silverback XL towel.

Looked nice and clean and was still pretty glossy thanks to how new the car was, and my previous polishing sessions.

For those still doubting the 2BM...I think tis tells you all you need to know...! No grit guards, CBA with them anymore!

I then went around the car using a 1:1 IPA mix in my Panel wipe bottle to get rid of anything else on the paint before wax. Would of liked to have done a 1stage polish, but dont have the time atm...

And now to the star of the show! ODK Revere!

Very generous 50ml pot and it smells stunning. Very similar to CG Hybrid V7, with a nice orange citrus smell.

Tried to apply an nice even layer. Annoyingly I have a couple of UFO applicator pads on order, but won't come till tomorrow. Hate how the wax builds up in the silk edge on these applicators...

Once applied, went out for a pub lunch with the family, so it probably was left for about 1hr...maybe too long, or maybe perfect I dont know! It passed the smear test though, so once I got back it was time to buff off with my EZcar care Korean super fluffy MF towel :)

Finishing touches to the wheels with CG trim gel. Don't really rate this, but have loads left!! Its too greasy and I feel like I have to reapply after every wash...its my most hated detailing task!

Much better!

Also went around bufffing the windows and getting the details sorted with my BSD/V7 mix....I had to use it as I love it!

And now the results...

Excuse my brother posing...

In all, I found ODK really easy to work with and smelt amazing. Application was simple and it easily melted onto the sponge to apply a nice thin layer.

Buffing off is slightly harder than Pete's 53 (the only other wax I can compare to personally), but thats probably because Pete's has no cure time. Maybe an Hour was far too long cure time wise, so could of been easier after just 30mins? The sun beating down maybe didn't help things....was bloody annoying chasing around the car making sure the water and soap didn't dry on!!!

Anyway, thanks again ODK and hope thats a decent review of the product. Will be using it when I give the GF Mini Cooper in Pepper White a long over due detail in the near future!

My dad did apply some to his White Lexus in the background, but it was hardly methodical and the car was still a bit dirty so didn't want to taint your product with those biased results!!! It did look more glossy after though :thumb:

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
You can do my car any time! ?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrEskimo
#5 ·
Fantastic info and great pics too, thanks!!!!

Reactions: DrEskimo
#6 ·
Cheers guys! Glad you found it useful and enjoyed the pics.

The amount of time it takes me to wash cars you would be very bored very quickly if I did yours...!

I'll come and do yours if you pay for the flights though Julian...;)

#8 ·
I'll come and do yours if you pay for the flights though Julian...;)
Don't start packing your bags just yet, Doc. I've gotta deal with the recently acquired scratches down the passenger side of the car before the next serious detail. Some unspeakable f**kstick used my car as a contact guiderail to maneuver their shopping trolley around in the local supermarket carpark a couple of weekends ago, cutting through the topcoat, bruising the paint underneath and, on the trailing edge of the front wheel opening, actually chipping the paint down to the primer coat. And that's across all three panels - front quarter, door and rear quarter.
To suggest I was not best pleased by this extensive, but unauthorised, addition to my 5, fails to adequately express the depths of my homicidal rage. The absence of any note from the worthless c*cksnap that did the deed was just a quick squirt of lighter fluid on the blazing conflagration of my anger. A couple of days later, the still smoldering embers of that anger got a whole new lease on life when the insurance quotes came in! I shan't alarm you with the actual numbers - trust me, I was more than alarmed enough for both of us - but suffice to say that those quotes were the spur I needed to rush out and buy myself a DA6 Pro and do the fix myself.
Now, if the sodding weather would just cut me some slack...

#11 ·
Watched this a few times to help....

Nope still dont think I'm there...better watch it a few more times....

#13 ·
This might help:
https://youtu.be/rMdbVHPmCW0
I take your point, trancer. Conversely, we're pretty good at other people's accents. I've personally been mistaken for both a Pom (while in France, Germany, Wales, Scotland, and Cumbria) and someone from Boston! I'm either a very good mimic, or I speak betta than wot I fort I did. Comes from being multilingual, I guess - I also speak fluent Gibberish and Drunkenese!

#15 ·
I really like reading reviews and write ups like this.
Lots of great pictures as well.

Just shows how the sepang blue cleans up so well and looks great in the right light. I must do mine this weekend. It's absolutely filthy!

Thanks for sharing!

#16 ·
Had been waiting for the weather to warm up so I could put some work in. This post out the hair up my butt to get started. Interior is done. CG leather cleaner, conditioner, serun, and air freshener. Sonax for the Alcantara. And some CG Silk Shine for the plastic. Will be washing tomorrow and if I get done in time gonna get to use my new TorqX for some paint correction.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.