Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

2.0 TDI Build

30K views 147 replies 17 participants last post by  Iamnotthestig 
#1 · (Edited)
Here go's....

As requested by smee this is my build (in progress)

By a series of unfortunate events I managed to get my hands on a 2011 A5 Coupé 2.0 TDI S-line Black Ed' quattro in Ibis White

B+O
Privacy Glass
Full leather
Heated seats
3g MMI
Sat-Nav
19" Rotors
Folding mirrors
Auto sensors
Steering controls
Cruise
Auto dim centre mirror
Rear parks
etc...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not really in order but first up was may carbon wrap interior. Door inlays were easy enough. Centre console was a bit tricky and ideally needs doing again. Tried wraping the dash but it just peeled. As I said needs doing again but with better quality 3M stuff

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
VAGCOM tweaks to date all from here. Thanks to S5Mafia for your help and advice on setting me up with VCDS

Mirror Tilt
MMI stanadby screen to standard instead of "S"
Battery metre
Lap Timer
Interior lighting contol
Adaptavie brake lights and emergency flash
Disable seatbelt chime
Disable Seatbelt release parking brake
Disable Foot on brake release parking brake
Disable afterwipe
Alarm beep
...and...the best one yet....
Enable drive select (only changes thorttle, no buttons or steering etc)

The VCDS cable has also come in handy to do some diagnostics to prove Audi wrong which resulted in a free service and has come in handy to turn off some faults. Is also very good for Adv Measurments to do some 0-60 blasts and test if stuff actually does improve performance.

I did try TMPS and Hill Hold but I don't have the correct ABS system and I've had a go at trying to enable optical rear parking but to no avail. I'm also trying to find a way to get my climate controls to display on the MMI screen when adjusting.

#5 · (Edited)
Minor weight reduction.

Removed the spare tyre, jack, wheel nut tool, emergency triangle, screwdriver, rubber from "sunglasses" holder, rear head rests and the plastic cover behind the rear arm rest that covers the 1st aid kit....but added a pump and tyre weld. Resulting in a weight saving of 19.53kg

#8 · (Edited)
Black Grille rings and black rear rings. Also black S-line badges to keep with the Black Ed' look. Also black+red quattro badge on the grille and black+red interior quattro badge above the glove box. Annnnd black wheel nut caps but can't really see much difference.

Bought Rings off ebay but both are smaller than OEM. Rear is Ok but front you can see the difference. Fortunately I didn't dmage mine taking them off so I resprayed them black and back on they went.

Attachments

#11 ·
what does that vent thing do though? never heard of it
Danke

Its a posh boost gauge effectively. "boost pressure, coolant temp, intake air temp, exhaust gas temp, throttle plate, speed, RPM with shift light, and battery voltage - as well as peak recall and run/record recall in all modes."

and it reads faults and can clear them

#13 · (Edited)
You're obviously as busy at work as me.

Not out of the box. But I am aware is has the capability to add a further 3 readings as long as it can be read as a number between a certain range. I've not looked into it but the DPF% could be a good call.

No idea what a polarfis is but theres a couple of guys on the forum running this but with an analouge boost sensor.

*EDIT*
"Setting up the Optional Analog Inputs

Your gauge has 3 linear analog inputs, 2 of which can be used as universal displays for ANY 0-5v sensor. Do not hook up a device that sends more than 5 volts or you WILL damage your gauge.

To enable an analog input, enter the config menu and set the A1 input to Y for yes. After doing this, 3 new options will appear.

A1.DP, analog 1 decimal points. The gauge will show 9999 on the screen, and tapping the first button will move the decimal point. A1.Lo, analog 1 Low volt, or Ov reading, which the gauge will show when it sees ZERO volts on the input. -999 through 9999 A1.Hi, analog 1 High volts, or 5v reading, which the gauge will show when it sees FIVE volts on the input. -999 through 9999 A1.bL and A1.bH, limits of the bargraph for that input. L is the bargraph start, H is the bargraph end.

Simply set the values for the 0v and 5v readings of your attached sensor, as well as the number of decimal points, and the gauge will interpolate anything between 0 and 5v to the proper display"

#14 ·
Looks like you have the exact same car as me (bar the colour), plus a ton of mods - looks brill!

How easy was it to do the interior lights and do you have a link to a compatible set? I did discover the other day that I don't have lights on the bottom of my doors like I've seen some cars have - just a slight indent in the plastic where they would have been.

The P3 vent thing looks cool - I assume it's this one: P3Cars Audi B8 A4 S4 A5 S5 Vent Integrated Digital Interface - P3 Cars Did you order from the US or find a UK seller?

#15 ·
MJ10...The Black Black Ed' are pure sex.

I just got a set off fleabay that said no errors. Works a treat and was very very easy. well worth the £10ish. transforms the interior. the hardest parts were getting the lights out from under the sun visors...i did break one but glued it together. If you have the indent I think you can retrofit the ghost lights, there is a thread on here on how to do it just search ghost lights etc.

Yarp thats the P3 gauge. I order from a UK dealer (kleen-freakz) BUT you order through them and they just request an item from the USA. I was fortunate enough to catch them during an introdutory sale so got $100 off. Ended Friday just gone

#25 · (Edited)
0-60 test results...

Using VCDS and lap timer over 9 runs - 8:5 (avg 18 results). VCDS has some degree of accuracy while the lap timer has human error. 6 runs changing at 4k RPM, 2 just before redline and 1 changing at 4.25K RPM [as close as I can get]. Car is not launch and the start of each run is not great so I won't post the actual times as they are dismal...but doing the same each time should show what difference each mod may have....

Weight reduction of 19.53 kg: -0.37s from OEM, VCDS accuracy of +/- 0.63s

1750mi of running BP Ultimate: -0.53s from OEM [-0.16s change], VCDS accuracy of +/- 0.39s

Dynamic ADS enabled: -0.87s from OEM, [-0.34s change], VCDS accuracy of +/- 0.43s

Obviosuly these aren't conclusive tests as there are many variables at play; traffic, waiting time, wind speed/direction, road temperature, tyre temperature, engine temperature, air temperature, breakfast weight, humidity etc etc....also all the results fall inside the tolerances so is not definitive proof these mods improve anything, however having averaged out 18 results I'd like to think they go some way to showing either yay or nay for each.

#28 ·
Of late Ive noticed that my rear LED reading lights didn't come on. Took out the unit and could hear a rattle. (would explain the slight vibration noise in the car)

Turns out the LED's had melted/broken at the solder

Electronic component Automotive lighting Electrical connector Technology Electronic device

Then again these were off flabby and I've got some spares

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.