Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Retrofit Self Levelling - Guidance needed!

33K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  JonnieB 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where the wiring is run under the car and then into the drivers area - anyone have any Kufatec installation instructions or other?

Cant find the relevant section Elasawin which tells you where the wiring goes.

I am going to fit self levelling for the xenons to be legal but need a little bit of assitance.

Also can anyone take a photo of each of their self levelling sensors within their passengers front/rear wheel arch so I know exactly where it is fitted?

rgds
JB

#3 ·
Thanks Mick will take a look

:thumbsup:

#5 · (Edited)
Cheers guys, found some good info on Elsawin

Text Font Line Software Technology
Text Joint Line Leg Parallel

Text Diagram Auto part
Text Blue Line Font Software

Line Font Automotive wheel system Parallel Auto part

Some more info on the module:-

Description of automatic dynamic headlight range control
Automatic dynamic headlight range control not only compensates for different static loading states; it also compensates for dynamic changes in the vehicle's inclination under braking and acceleration.
The loading state is registered by the level sensors. With automatic dynamic headlight range control, the vehicle's road speed signal, acceleration signal and braking signal are additionally processed. These dynamic driving parameters are evaluated continuously by the control unit for headlight range control -J431- while the vehicle is moving. The position of the headlights is adjusted by way of the control motors. The headlights have to be adjusted very rapidly. This is achieved by using stepper motors for the control motors and a 500 kBaud CAN drive bus for communication between the control unit for headlight range control -J431- and the other onboard control units.

#6 ·
Update. Morski kindly agreed to let me have the self levelling wires from an A4 loom at a good price. Took ages to seperate them and discovered that there was only rear level sensor wiring and no front level sensor wiring. On later models the front level sensors have been discontinued so less work to do to install the self levelling.

Fed the wires to the headlights today from drivers side and out through bulkhead. The range module i will mount within drivers side as the wires are a set length and from a lhd vehicle so just enough length to the fuse, canbus within pillar next to footwell etc. I did need to lengthen the 4 wires leading to the drivers headlight but all good so far. The 3 wires from the passengers rear level sensor are long enough to run along the edge of the car inside,sill area, with main loom wires then behind dash to drivers side where they will connect up to the 26pin connector of the range module.

Just waiting on the module itself which i ordered off Ebay.de and housing and a few other parts from Audi.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a rough figure in mind but then again if I bought a car already fully loaded 'lots of goodies' (with the money I have spent on this vehicle), as I suspect this is the response, then it would be a very boring place and forum n'est pas? and all I would be able to do is pass comment and not be able to share my hands on experience.

#10 ·
Thanks Morski :). I am very happy with it

#13 ·
Update:-
ok so spent much of today installing the level sensor and wiring to the drivers side (right side beneath dash). The biggest headache was getting the upper transverse bolt back in after removal but got there in the end. Elsawin says that to remove this bolt you need to drop the sub-frame which is a major task but you dont. I managed to get a ratchet in on the left and a flat screwdriver in on the right.
I ended up taking the wiring from the level sensor up though the rubber grommet already in the boot, made a small hole and fed a rubber tube up with the wiring. I then sealed the hole with bonding adhesive.
A guide hole and threaded hole for the level sensor were already on the lower wishbone. Also a guide hole was already on the upper section for the senor bracket so you ant go wrong.

The wires are then taken behind the passengers external panel trim down to the sill area and under the sill trim to the glovebox, remove glovebox and take cables over to drivers side (right). This is where the module will be installed and all the cables come to.

Excuse the pictures, one very dirty under carriage in need of a jet washing.

Screw Fastener Auto part Nut Household hardware
Rust Auto part
Auto part Metal
Auto part
Auto part Fuel line Brake Suspension Automotive fuel system
Auto part Automotive tire

Auto part Plumbing Rust Gas
Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Pipe Suspension

:thumbsup: Auto part Suspension

#14 · (Edited)
Installed all the cables, checked the pins and inserted module not to mention two wires to the CANbus, went into vcds and tried the adaption procedure but just got fault codes and couldnt do any tests. Then smelt a burning smel land the module burnt out.
Took it off quickly and can only think that it was a faulty module as it was 2nd hand. Double-checked the cables with multimeter, make sure they were all ok and non grounding to earth - all ok. Defective range control warning on instrument cluster.

Cant clear code even when module isnt there.

Ordered another module and its in the post.

Also realised that in CAN module in vcds I hadnt ticked the 55 zenon range box so thats proably why when I ran a test it was showing implausable signal. I ran a few output tests and the lights raised lowered so this part was working.

Log below as below. I think the first error relates to the self levelling not been setup, the 2nd to the CAN not being switched on to the module and the third is because after 2009 the front sensor was gradually dicontinued so not needed which is why it hasnt been installed.

Address 55: Xenon Range Labels: 8K0-907-357.clb
Control Module Part Number: 8K0 907 357 B
Component and/or Version: Dynamische LWR H01 0030
Software Coding: 0000002
Work Shop Code: WSC 06745 128 28888
VCID: 346C00542EBD
3 Faults Found:

01539 - Headlights Not Adjusted
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100101
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 187
Mileage: 57667 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.01.12
Time: 14:11:40

00497 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling; Rear
008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101000

00496 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling; Front
010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101010
Time: 14:11:41

So if I clear the first two when the new module arrives and I still getting an error because of not having a front sensor then I will install this (I have the front sensor).

Any help on the above appreciated. I am not going to let this mod get the better of me! I will then have xenons in place with self levelling and headlight washers conforming to the vosa requirements.

JB:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Ok managed to clear the error code by unplugging the battery terminal for 5 minutes, errors all gone.

Wait for the module to arrive then try again!

#17 ·
Hope this works out for you JB. It's been an epic mod all told. Hat's off to you bud. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Thanks, hopefully sort it all out next week to conclude this retrofit.

Can someone go into their 55 Xenon Range module settings and just tell me what its says in group 001, 002 basic settings and in 'measured values' for groups 001-005?

Also check in Canbus Module that the 55 xenon range checkbox is ticked.

#19 ·
Module arrived from Germany so will be trying again this weekend. It goes in for its service and mot on Monday so hopefully have the self levelling sorted for then otherwise may have to put the halogens back in.

#21 ·
thanks Nino

#22 · (Edited)
Could read the measured values sections (attached)

however on entering the basic settings and reading 001 my MMI threw up a headlight range control defective error, tried clearing the DTC but no joy.

Notified the tracking company and ive taken the battery out hoping it will clear it!

Couldnt find anything in "CAN Gateway" what number is the canbus module?

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Nino,

Can gateway module 19.

Thanks for the info, I know roughly what figures to expect now.

cheers
Jon

Take battery out for 5 mins.

Its interesting to see your car has the one sensor proving the front one was gradually phased out so I shouldnt need to install this although I do have it. Do you have the module part number in your car. I suspect ending in A or B (8K0907357 A or B).

Did the error clear?

#24 · (Edited)
Had the battery out 15 mins+, clock reset to 0:00 and the error is still there, did you have to clear the DTCs after you removed the battery?

Control Module Part Number: 8K5 907 357
Component and/or Version: Dynamische LWR H01 0010
Work Shop Code:
VCID:
1 Fault Found:

Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 172
Mileage: 56564 km
Date: 2013.01.24
Time: 17:52:59

#32 ·
Thank for replying.

This is what Nino (who has only the rear one installed) has posted:

Control Module Part Number: 8K5 907 357
Component and/or Version: Dynamische LWR H01 0010
Work Shop Code:
VCID:
Thats why I said it might be the 8K5 907 357. Did you try this module as well?

Whats your rear sensor part number?

#25 ·
Error cleared PHEW!

Reset the DTCs and it kept coming back, tried 3-4 times.

Then went into basic settings and did group 001, let it run and then hit ON/OFF/NEXT a hand full of times and it seems to have got rid of it.

VCDS is a dangerous tool!

#26 ·
Yes Nino,

'Headlights not adjusted, MIL on'
This is basically telling you, you have to run through the setup procedure for the self levelling, once this has been done then it clears the error with the controller, nothing to worry about.

thanks for the info. mate

I see you have the earlier module, what year is your car if you dont mind me asking

#27 ·
No joy, tried again today - looks like this module is ok but for some reason there is nothing doing with the rear sensor. Maybe the sensor is knackered?

Attached measured values, the rear sensor should be 50-87% as in Ninos pictures. The front sensor isnt installed yet. I've installed the halogen headlights for the mot Monday so at least I have another year to sort this out! (hopefully)

Error log:-
3 Faults Found:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Operating system Green Blue Text Computer icon
Operating system Green Blue Computer icon Software

#28 · (Edited)
Ok so some success today!

Ive blown a few modules now and bought a few more spare off Ebay.de.

Today I decided to connect 3 short wires to a spare rear sensor but near to the module i.e. not connecting the module up to the rear sensor and cabling running to the back of the car. I dont have the front sensor installed but do have the sensor so I connected this up under the dash next to the module too.

Voila success, the front and rear sensors were showing in the measured values. I cleared the fault codes, got the sensors 'learned' in the learning function and all ok.

I therefore thought that the problem is in the wiring to the rear sensor and it is shorting somewhere hence I kept getting the fault code short to ground for the rear sensor. To prove this theory and I didnt mind blowing another module as this was the older type of module and I had two more later modules spare I decided to reconnect the wires back up leading to the rear sensor. The module blew.

I conclude this is the problem and I need to take out the old cable and replace.

I plan to do this next weekend possibly, the car will then fully comply with Mot regs etc, self level up hills and no swapping of headlights to halogens... so from halogens I have changed to xenons, installed the headlight washers and finally self levelling.

You can see in the measured values there are now readings for the front and rear sensor (%age values).
The first picture you access the Can gateway module and tick '55 Xenon range' this then allows information to be communicated to the module via the brown/orange black/orange can wires connected up to the module.
The 2nd picture you can see the module isnt working and theres no readings from the sensors.
3rd picture I have cleared the fault codes after replacing the module and all ok, no errors.
4th picture sensors wokring, measured values
5th picture, sensors not working no measured values.

Text Line Font Screenshot Number
Text Font Line Screenshot Number
Text Line Font Screenshot Technology
Text Font Line Screenshot Number
Text Blue Font Line Screenshot
Text Font Line Number Document

#29 ·
Just a quick update:

The modules were blowing as the wiring I installed to the rear sensor must have been grounding to earth somewhere. I replaced this wiring and connected all up today, success, all working.

What I have done with the front sensor is screw it behind the dash for now otherwise without it you get an error. At some point I will install it properly.

#31 ·
No the A, B are newer modules, the latest one being 'D'. I have tried all of these and I cant see anywhere where you can de-activate the front sensor just allowing one sensor to be used.

The rear sensor part number is not the one I am using.

#33 · (Edited)
I see where you are coming from, no is the answer. This could be the correct module to use 8K5', you are right but then again could there be a setting somewhere to switch the front sensor off?

What would be interesting is to see if people who own later A5/S5's have the same module as Nino and have only one sensor!

EDIT: Reading the www however it may be a case of deactivating one of the channels to turn off the front sensor changing from 1 to 0 but which one? The module may not be the answer.

JB

Text Line Font Computer icon Design

3 Faults Found:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.