post #1 of 6 Old 18th April 2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
JRD

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Garage
LED footwell Lights - Help required

Morning Fellow Audi lovers,

I recently added 2 x LED strips to each footwell. They was originally made to plug into a lights outlet but I have wired them into the grey plug (pin 17) on the J519 module under the dash (drivers side) as per the OEM ones. I was hope they would work via the MMI screen. BUT I have turned on the ambient lighting function on the MMI via the green menu but it still doesn't work.

Question do I have to use VCDS to enable it on the car for it to work OR is there another problem as for why this wont work the way I intend?

Really appreciate any help on this as I am stumped.

2013 1.8 tfsi, S-Line, Black Edition, Custom CIA, 15mm Fr - 20mm Bk spacers, GFB DV+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 19th April 2017, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Yes I seem to remember having to enable the lighting with VCDS (or other app) first. The Ambient lighting in the green menu will enable the screen that lets you adjust the brightness, but the feature needs to be enabled in the module that actually powers the lights too.
JRD likes this.

2008 A5 3.0TDI quattro Tiptronic - 2012 A5 3.0TDI quattro S-Tronic Cabriolet
post #3 of 6 Old 19th April 2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
JRD

Garage
I thought so, I just had a few bits enabled on my car to but the only problem is the closest person I know is and hour away from me. I am looking for someone closer to pipe up just so I can get it enabled. It's all wired in already.

2013 1.8 tfsi, S-Line, Black Edition, Custom CIA, 15mm Fr - 20mm Bk spacers, GFB DV+

post #4 of 6 Old 28th April 2017, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

This, I think is the only bug bear of my A5!!!

How can a 40K with SatNav, B&O HiFi, leather and everything else, not have a footwell lights or EVEN a glove box light!!! Even my 1980's Peugeot had a glovebox light!!

I think sometimes, the manufaturer's think I, know we'll remove this and charge extra as an option! Yeah charge extra for a rear sun blind, but not a bulb in the glovebox!

Rant over

Ps, is the wiring there so I could just 'add' it?
post #5 of 6 Old 2nd May 2017, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Sadly almost no wiring is in the car for options it does not have. If you multiply all those metres of wire over millions of cars it becomes enormous so they make looms to suit.

The lights are not very difficult to add though, for the glove box and foot wells. I think the red and white lights in the doors are slightly harder (cutting the opening in the bottom of the door is tricky). The lights in the wheels of the air vents can be done too. Rear foot wells I never did but they look awkward without removing the seats. You can't see them while driving though.

If only the original purchaser hadn't thought "140 for lights? Why would I pay that?" Presumably thinking it would have a glove box light as standard! Fortunately the new ones do seem to come with lighting as standard, with an option for the advanced multi colour bits.

2008 A5 3.0TDI quattro Tiptronic - 2012 A5 3.0TDI quattro S-Tronic Cabriolet
post #6 of 6 Old 2nd May 2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
JRD

Garage
I bought some LED footwell lights from Ebay for about 8. They come all connected together and plug into a cigarette lighter. I cut the cigarette plug off and wired them into the ignition live. SO they only come on when the car is on. I then added a hidden switch in the footwell just incase i do want to turn them off.

I do want to add them the white connector on the J159 unit so I can control them by the MMI, just need the VCDS to enable it. I'm hoping that will work if not I'm happy I they work the way they do. I'll post some pics when it gets dark.

I defo agree though, such a nice high spec car yet doesn't come with basic lights. At least they dont charge for the cup holders haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode