Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Headlight Leveling Sensor - Opinions Please

49K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  A4AvantV6 
#1 ·
So my headlight levelling sensor has bitten the dust.

I went to take the car out the other evening, and I saw a message on the DIS saying 'Headlight Range Control Defective (which I've been getting for a few weeks TBH, but it wasn't affecting the headlight level) and the headlights were pointed at the floor about 10 feet in front of the car.

In effect, the car is undrivable in the night.

So I ran a VCDS scan and it came back with the following:

Revision: 00000001 Serial number:
Coding: 0000002
Shop #: WSC 06324 000 00000
VCID: 34616A8B57B9BDBE4F5-8061

3 Faults Found:
01537 - Vehicle Level Sensor; Supply Voltage
007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100111
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 102
Mileage: 151214 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.12.16
Time: 12:42:30

00496 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling; Front
010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101010
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 205
Mileage: 142519 km
Date: 2016.06.26
Time: 11:21:43

008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Frequency: 24
Reset counter: 62
Mileage: 151400 km
Date: 2016.12.28
Time: 18:31:51

Sensor blown, right?

So I took the car to a local garage to get the auto electrician to hopefully put things right. All they could do at the time was charge me £65 to confirm what I already knew.

I wasn't over the moon about that, plus the customer service was so appalling that I've sworn I wont take the car back there to get it fixed.

They quoted me £102 for the replacement part, plus £25 for 30 minutes labour to fit it, so I currently have 3 choices:

1. Take the car to another garage and cough up the cash and get it done

2. Buy the sensor online and do the work myself o_O

3. Physically set the headlights myself and use VCDS to make the errors go away.

What would you do if you were in my shoes???

See less See more
#2 ·
Swap the sensor. I've got a similar issue, the arm connecting the sensor to the wheely bit snapped, currently it's rigged with some zip ties but I'm pretty sure it's an MOT failure if it's obviously broken. You might get away with just removing the error but it's neither a costly fix nor difficult to do so. The part can be had for less than £100, and most of the work to replace it should be just jacking the car up so you can reach the blasted thing.

#4 ·
I think because it's a little bit of an obscure part breakers/eBay or new from Audi is the only option. I think the price straight from Audi is only £90 or so?

#7 ·
Fairly sure...

Im not an electrician, but I know the sensor arm has been hanging off the front suspension for some time now. I've been getting the 'headlight range control defective' message for a few weeks, but I havent bothered doing anything about it till now because the problem wasn't affecting my headlights.

I'm paying for it now though!!

Speaking of which, I've just bought a sensor off Ebay and a local company has agreed to fit it for 25 quid plus vat. Hoping to get it fitted early next week, so until then I'll be borrowing the wife's Renault Captur for nighttime driving!!

#8 ·
Which part number did you go for? I've got a 09 with the fancy xenons and I can't figure which version I need when I get round to replacing my cable ties...

#11 ·
They said that the bar that links the sensor - not the one I bought, a different one. The one I bought must be the management chip - to the suspension arm was snapped and needed replacing.

Seems reasonable when you look at the pics.

They said the part was £109 + vat, so I said I'd shop around before getting back to them.

Does anyone know what that part is called? Its the arm plus the sensor box it feeds to - in the first pic it looks like its not broken. Second pic shows the arm has snapped at the joint where it meets the sensor box...

If anyone can point me to one of these 2nd hand, or even new, for less than £130 I would be extremely grateful!!

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Reactions: stevieste23
#21 ·
stick some epoxy on it and give it a try sensor may be ok.#

or

AUDI A5 Front Headlight Level Sensor Right 8K0907503 2009 | eBay
Mark
:frown2:
Turns out this part is for the right hand side. Confirmed by the garage today when I went to get it fitted.
Bit strange considering there isn#t a sensor on the RHS! Ah well, one ebay return coming up!!

I really appreciate your input Mark, hope this comment doesn't come across like I'm blaming you at all, cos in all honesty if it wasn't for your input I'd still be properly stuck!! I just wanted to point to that ebay link.
So thanks again for your input mate!! :thumbsup:

So I'm 95% positive the part I'm after is 8K0 941 285 N. Found a link here:
8K0 941 285 N Headlight Level Sensor | eBay

Its a bit better than the £109 plus VAT (so £130 give or take) quoted by the garage.
I'm gonna have a little think about it, maybe nose around the internet for a better price, but I think I'm gonna get one by tonight (Saturday).

I'll keep you informed!! :wink2:

#15 ·
Mark you beauty!!! That is exactly the thing!!!!!

BOUGHT!! :D

I asked the mechanic if there was anything we could do to save it, even temporarily, and he was like nah

Eamonn are you also needing this part??

On the 2009 A5 is there a rear sensor I should check??

#16 ·
#18 ·
I have the part number, it's just there's a bunch of variations in the last letter. Any idea how you know which one you need?
Also that ebay link is an absolute baaaargain, cheapest one I had found was £80

I guess the only way to be sure is to pull the old one off and check the number. I'm pretty sure it's reachable without even jacking the car up, just full lock left and grab it. That's another thing for this weekends todo list. I'll let you know how it goes, might save you paying the mechanic.

Reactions: Pauly_
#19 ·
You got a VCDS Eamonn?

I ran a full scan with that - it does all the car's systems - and it came back with 3 errors on the vehicle level sensor and included a part number.

I might be over Slough way in a couple of weeks (I live near Swansea) maybe we could meet up somewhere and I can run a scan for you?

#20 ·
I don't have vcds, but I have had it scanned at a garage that does. No errors thanks to my quality zip tie work ;-)
I think just taking it off for a peek is the best option, I don't think it's difficult at all. Thanks for the offer though!

Reactions: Pauly_
#22 ·
Oh!

Also, I reset all the errors in the VCDS diag and ran the scan again. Only one 'Xenon Range' error came back!!

Address 55: Xenon Range Labels: 8K0-907-357.clb
Part No: 8K0 907 357 B
Component: Dynamische LWR H01 0030
Revision: 00000001 Serial number:
Coding: 0000002
Shop #: WSC 06324 000 00000
VCID: 34616A8B57B9BDBE4F5-8061

1 Fault Found:
010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101010
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 68
Mileage: 151510 km
Date: 2017.01.13
Time: 12:48:29

Thought this might provoke a bit of conversation...

#24 ·
I definitely got a dash light with the broken arm, but never really got flashed by anyone. My cable ties seem to be working fine, so I think epoxying it back together should be fine.

#26 ·
Hey guys,

I bought this: 8K0 941 285 N Headlight Level Sensor | eBay

Should be delivered by Thursday. If I can find someone willing to let me borrow a pit or a really decent jack I might try fitting it myself, can't be that difficult.

stevieste23 - perhaps you've been lucky that the sensor has been stuck at an acceptable level when the arm snapped! I think a VCDS scan should show any issues. Do your headlights do the self leveling thing when you turn the ignition on??

#27 ·
You shouldn't need a pit, just use your scissor jack, one stand, and turn the wheels full lock to the left and stick your head in there. I've got a massive one and I could get to it fine. Massive head that is.
Let me know if that turns out to be the right part, I have a same year A5 and have found the part for about £80, just need to confirm it's the one needed.
Also thought I would mention, I've never noticed any kind of start up leveling going on, though it was snapped before I got the car. No difference since I tied it up other than no more dash warnings.

#28 ·
Ok so this arrived in the post, looking all lovely in its newy newness!!

From the comparison to the original snapped arm (3rd pic) this looks like the perfect part.
Its definitely the opposite side to the other part I bought so this is encouraging ha ha!!

Eamonn where did you find it for £80? Was it with a company called Dark Side Developments?
I saw the part on their site for £80 but when you add it to your cart and check out, they put shipping and VAT on it, bringing it to about £104!

This part is from their Ebay shop, its the cheapest place I could find a brand new one, and they still have more than 10 available apparently!!
8K0 941 285 N Headlight Level Sensor | eBay
There's a photo below showing the part number too.

I'm hoping to get it fitted tomorrow, so will report back when I have more news!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.