Anyone change/install their own inlays? - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone change/install their own inlays?

I'm getting my car in the next few days. I got lucky because it was really close to my first choice build... Only thing is it has the standard aluminum inlay vs. my desired carbon fiber... Is changing out the inlay an easy process or should I not even bother?

Sorry if this is a FAQ... I did a search and didn't get much results...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 04:53 PM

responce

i had my center changed in my s5 from that gross black to the aluminum. i wish i waited i would have bought it from you .. honestly i would just have an audi dealer do it. labor on all is about 2-3 hrs. at least thats what they charged me.
post #3 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 05:48 PM

There are a few threads on here discussing it, including one where someone went into ETKA (the electronic parts/service system) and pulled the installation diagram.

Installation should be pretty easy for the door inlays (and the inlays in the back). Installation around the center console will be a bit tricker and you might want to consider getting that from a dealer.

BTW the inlays are expensive if you order them from Audi parts - I don't think $1K for the parts alone would be unreasonable as a guesstimate.

post #4 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 05:54 PM

i think i paid 225.00 for the center piece & i think carbon is the same. but imo RIP OFF. but then again were drivin S5s
post #5 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 06:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to texastate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audistic View Post
I'm getting my car in the next few days. I got lucky because it was really close to my first choice build... Only thing is it has the standard aluminum inlay vs. my desired carbon fiber... Is changing out the inlay an easy process or should I not even bother?

Sorry if this is a FAQ... I did a search and didn't get much results...

Replacing the inlays in the a5/s5 is not extremely difficult but takes patience and time. If you rush this job, you'll break $1,000 parts of this $1,000 set.

I recently changed out my interior inlays.. It took about 4 hours to do the side doors and back panels (left and right respectively) and the whole console.. I tried doing just the console trim by itself but I don't see how anybody can remove the trim without breaking it... Its popped into the console so tight, you'll break tabs and scratch your console and inlays trying to do it.. You will have to take the console all the way off to attempt any removal of the console trim..

To do the side pieces, obtain either a small screwdriver or a plastic wedge tool at your local parts store... Wrap the screwdriver in tape if your going to use that..

Back panels:

Gently pry on on the edge of the trim inlay on the side that is closest to the front of the car.. then do the other side and it will pull all the way out and back.. put your finger underneath the newly popped out and pull at a even tug and the rest should pop off.. Do this on both sides.. Be careful that you just don't go yanking one side all the way because there is a L-tab that sticks into the body of the car and its the part that can hook and break off when you are pulling out..

Front left and right panels:

The same applies here... Gently insert your plastic wedge tool or a small screwdriver under the edge at the ends of the inlay IN BETWEEN the inlay and the door panel and gently and carefully insert laterally and pry up slowly.. Make sure your screwdriver or whatever you are using is under the inlay deep enough so it doesn't pop out and scratch the existing inlay. They pop off pretty easy but don't be too timid.. DON"T PUT YOUR WEIGHT INTO IT! HAHA Pull evenly..

Center console:

The center console took 3:30 of the total time, of 4 hours.. There is quite a lot of screws and plastic tabs to pull, the trim, shift boot, center console module with your MMI interface needs to come up, ash tray removed, your air conditioner vents for the back passengers need to come totally off and screws removed and arm wrest lid needs to come off totally.. The whole console is one piece... It must be lifted up and out of the car as a whole.

I'm currently trying to do a write up on this but there are like 40 steps I think that I have already prepared.. I might actually recommend taking this to a dealer cause that way they are responsible for an scratches and the effort it takes to do this.. However, I'll try to help anybody that needs or has questions..

For Houston people, I'll do this for about $75 and a 12-pack of Negra Modelo.. LOL

Pictures and DIY to come...

Current Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe
2009 SL65 AMG Renntech Stage 3
2007 GT3 - Silver/Alcantera interior
2009 Z06 - Carbon Grey - SOLD
2009 S5 - SOLD

Last edited by texastate; 16th February 2009 at 07:32 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

texastate, all I can say is WOW! I'm sure this detailed information will come in quite handy for those folks who want to tackle this job alone. Thanks for sharing.

2014 R8 V10 Coupe S tronic | Ibis White | Larini 'Club Sport' exhaust

Previous:
2009 S5 Tiptronic | Ice Silver | Black interior | Hüper Optik tint | Euro headlights | Höen fogs | KW Variant 2 coilovers and 20" WORK Varianza T1S wheels from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| STāSIS ARB

2008 A5 3.2 Tiptronic | Brilliant Black | Cinnamon Brown | fully loaded | H&R springs | Hüper Optik tint | Clear bra | Euro headlights
post #7 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

TxState
Five stars for you sir.

If you ever fly to SoCal I shall reimburse you with lots of Modelos.

And the Lakers rule. :0)
post #8 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 07:08 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastate View Post
Replacing the inlays in the a5/s5 is not extremely difficult but takes patience and time. If you rush this job, you'll break $1,000 parts of this $1,000 set.

I recently changed out my interior inlays.. It took about 4 hours to do the side doors and back panels (left and right respectively) and the whole console.. I tried doing just the console trim by itself but I don't see how anybody can remove the trim without breaking it... Its popped into the console so tight, you'll break tabs and scratch your console and inlays trying to do it.. You will have to take the console all the way off to attempt any removal of the console trim..

To do the side pieces, obtain either a small screwdriver or a plastic wedge tool at your local parts store... Wrap the screwdriver in tape if your going to use that..

Back panels:

Gently pry on on the edge of the trim inlay on the side that is closest to the front of the car.. then do the other side and it will pull all the way out and back.. put your finger underneath the newly popped out and pull at a even tug and the rest should pop off.. Do this on both sides.. Be careful that you just don't go yanking one side all the way because there is a L-tab that sticks into the body of the car and its the part that can hook and break off when you are pulling out..

Front left and right panels:

The same applies here... Gently insert your plastic wedge tool or a small screwdriver under the edge at the ends of the inlay IN BETWEEN the inlay and the door panel and gently and carefully insert laterally and pry up slowly.. Make sure your screwdriver or whatever you are using is under the inlay deep enough so it doesn't pop out and scratch the existing inlay. They pop off pretty easy but don't be too timid.. DON"T PUT YOUR WEIGHT INTO IT! HAHA Pull evenly..

Center console:

The center console took 3:30 of the total time, of 4 hours.. There is quite a lot of screws and plastic tabs to pull, the center console module with your MMI interface needs to come up, your air conditioner vents and arm wrest lid needs to come off and etc. I'm currently trying to do a write up on this but there are like 40 steps I think that I have already prepared.. I might actually recommend taking this to a dealer cause that way they are responsible for an scratches and the effort it takes to do this.. However, I'll try to help anybody that needs or has questions..

For Houston people, I'll do this for about $75 and a 12-pack of Negra Modelo.. LOL

Pictures and DIY to come...

The Carbon Atlas inlays are a $500 option on the car and the Stainless Steel are $750. Where are these $1,000 prices on parts alone from?
post #9 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesame60 View Post
The Carbon Atlas inlays are a $500 option on the car and the Stainless Steel are $750. Where are these $1,000 prices on parts alone from?
Yeah.. But if you wish to choose a different look later, they are $1,000 + some change.. Audi subsidizes the cost, but if you want to change later, you pay..

2009 S5 - SOLD
post #10 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
TxState
Five stars for you sir.

If you ever fly to SoCal I shall reimburse you with lots of Modelos.

And the Lakers rule. :0)
HAHA nice.. To bad your not near San Diego... I'm a California native back in the day!

2009 S5 - SOLD
post #11 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 07:39 PM

All,

I will be taking pictures along with the ones I already have and trying to write up a procedure that is easy to follow..

2009 S5 - SOLD
post #12 of 26 Old 16th February 2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Looking forward to it... Thanks TX!

Quote:
All,

I will be taking pictures along with the ones I already have and trying to write up a procedure that is easy to follow..
post #13 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to it... Thanks TX!
Wait, I thought I was 'TX'?

2014 R8 V10 Coupe S tronic | Ibis White | Larini 'Club Sport' exhaust

Previous:
2009 S5 Tiptronic | Ice Silver | Black interior | Hüper Optik tint | Euro headlights | Höen fogs | KW Variant 2 coilovers and 20" WORK Varianza T1S wheels from
|
| STāSIS ARB

2008 A5 3.2 Tiptronic | Brilliant Black | Cinnamon Brown | fully loaded | H&R springs | Hüper Optik tint | Clear bra | Euro headlights
post #14 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Audi subsidizes the cost, but if you want to change later, you pay..
Lol, i'm not sure you understand how manufacturers work... Audi BUILDS IN the price, I can assure you they dont subsidize parts, its simply not in their interest to do so.

2015 S5 Cabrio

Previously:
A5 Coupe 3.2 Quattro S-line Special Edition
A5 Cabrio 2.0T S-line
A4 Cabrio 3.2 Quattro Sport
post #15 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupramax View Post
Lol, i'm not sure you understand how manufacturers work... Audi BUILDS IN the price, I can assure you they dont subsidize parts, its simply not in their interest to do so.
Yeah, they definitely "build it in".... to the price of the vehicle.. Subsidize is the wrong word in this case.. I was trying to relate that they list it as a $500 change but really, he's probably paying $1,000 anyway since it was part of the vehicle at sale time..

2009 S5 - SOLD
post #16 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 04:38 AM
loc

texastate,

Great posting!

Would you mind if I ask your text to be added (with credit to you of course) to this non-profit website for future reference?

http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/index.html

My A5 retrofit links: A5 VAG COM codes list

A5 "real" MMI vs. radios explained

AMI parts/retrofit

Homelink retrofit

Voice control retrofit

Add oil dipstick
post #17 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 04:58 AM

I had the dealer replace my piano black center console inlay w/the factory aluminum-look piece and the labor charge was 3.0 hours. As was outlined in previous posts, the center console inlay is fragile and you do need to exercise some care to avoid breaking anything.

2008 Audi S5
Custom-Tuned by FarnbacherLoles / AWE Downpipes / Milltek Exhaust / BMC Filter / European Headlights / H&R Coilovers/
20MM/25MM Spacers / Blinder X-Treme Laser Jammer / STaSIS Rear Sway Bar / Xenon/HID Fog Light Conversion/
Custom Subwoofer Enclosure w/Dynamat Everywhere / Lüsch Fog Light Grilles / JHM Short Shifter / Michelin Pilot Super Sports
post #18 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
texastate,

Great posting!

Would you mind if I ask your text to be added (with credit to you of course) to this non-profit website for future reference?

http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/index.html
Yes, I would think that wouldn't be a big deal... I'm not the only one who has done this besides..

2009 S5 - SOLD
post #19 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroWerks View Post
I had the dealer replace my piano black center console inlay w/the factory aluminum-look piece and the labor charge was 3.0 hours. As was outlined in previous posts, the center console inlay is fragile and you do need to exercise some care to avoid breaking anything.
3 hours is reasonable i guess... I know now that I can take apart everything and put it back together in about 1.5 hours... I've had this all apart, put it back on, didn't get it right, took it off again ect.. I spent so much time with it, it feels pretty easy now somewhat.. I still have to be careful though.. Each piece is expensive.. I did damage one piece performing this swap.... I'll outline it and why I made the mistake here soon with pics..

2009 S5 - SOLD

Last edited by texastate; 17th February 2009 at 06:03 AM.
post #20 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Well... Whenever I take car parts apart and put them back together again.... I always end up with around 6-10 screws leftover. I think I'll have my dealer do this... heh.
post #21 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 07:29 AM

Hey Texastate good job! Hey what inlays did you have that you replaced ? Were they the dark wood? If would be interested in buying them from you. I want to replace me Light wood Inlays with dark wood . Let me know . Thanks

C

09 A5 Phantom Black / Linen Beige Interior Premium Package , Nav
post #22 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Faro View Post
Hey Texastate good job! Hey what inlays did you have that you replaced ? Were they the dark wood? If would be interested in buying them from you. I want to replace me Light wood Inlays with dark wood . Let me know . Thanks

C
I went from the Dark Wood to the Carbon Fiber... Both look great actually on this car and I'd consider selling the extra set... I'll think about it while I'm writing this DIY...

Oh.. FYI, they are in flawless condition..

2009 S5 - SOLD
post #23 of 26 Old 17th February 2009, 02:53 PM

Any one have a brushed aluminum center console piece their willing to sell?

Mine was scratched last week :O(

"I thought Policemen didn't give pretty girls tickets?" . . . . "You're absolutely right ma'am, sign here please"
post #24 of 26 Old 7th September 2009, 08:26 AM

i know this is sort of an old thread, but did the write up for the procedure ever get made?
post #25 of 26 Old 7th September 2009, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNTCLARK View Post
i had my center changed in my s5 from that gross black to the aluminum. i wish i waited i would have bought it from you .. honestly i would just have an audi dealer do it. labor on all is about 2-3 hrs. at least thats what they charged me.
Small world we live in, i have just visited my family in Mckinney,on a 3 week trip to the USA, I had the pleasure of driving a Chevy Malibu for 3 weeks, doing 4000 miles in it, only saw one A5 in all that time.

Audi A7. 3.0 tfi Black Edition Bitdi, tech pack, advanced key, titanium alloys, Daytona grey .......
SOLD.........
Audi A5 Cab 3.0 tdi s line. Ibis white, black roof. tech pack, advanced key,hill hold, b&o, dab, heated front seats, headlevel heating, bluetooth, interior light pack, alcantara silver, piano black inlays, 19" 5 seg alloys.
Vagcom mods: vim, needle sweep, battery meter, ambient lighting, beep lock/unlock, speech dialog system
post #26 of 26 Old 22nd March 2010, 07:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to egemen_karabulut Send a message via Skype™ to egemen_karabulut
This can't bee true!! right ? I guess since from these postings procedures to install interior kit has been improved .

The instruction that I got from Europrice seems very easy to achieve. Does anyone has experience on this matter?. I am purchasing my CF interior kit! I need some help asap.

Thanks

2010 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro / Quartz Grey / Premium Plus Package / Navigation Plus / Carbon Fiber Inlays / Höen H11 Xenonmatch Fog Bulbs / VAG-COM Modes

Last edited by egemen_karabulut; 22nd March 2010 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode