Snow screen location and a couple basic questions I didn't find on forum searches - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 & S5 Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Stuart little is on a distinguished road
Default Snow screen location and a couple basic questions I didn't find on forum searches

As there are rarely stupid questions, my S5 is new to me and I'm anal about maintenance and the quest for knowledge

Where is the snow screen filter so I can clean it? It's integrated into the air filtration system before the filter, remove the cowl attached with 4 screws and you can wipe it out but not much to clean here.

What is the blue rubbery looking object behind the drivers side headlamp in the engine bay? It's a vacuum reservoir - http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/RS4V8-StudyGuide.pdf - look on pg 27.

Also, I spoke with the Audi dealer I know the guy took it to and the oil was changed 4k miles and 5 months ago, is it a waste of $$$ to change it out already? I'm doing it anyways

Is giving the MAF a few sprays of electronics cleaner or MAF cleaner ever a bad idea? Let it air dry, dry with can of compressed air, or don't worry about driving before driving? Spray with MAF it quickly dries

Thanks in advance

-08' S5 | 6MT | Meteor Gray Pearl Effect (Currently Dipped Koi Orange)| Magma Red Interior | Nav + | Tech Package | B&O | CF Inlays | Strat SS
-10' VW TDI Cup Edition | 6MT | Laser Blue | RNS-510 SatNav/DVD | Sunroof | ThunderBunny Bodykit | MDI
-02' VW TDI Beetle | 5MT | Blue | 270k miles and still purring (wife's)
-03' Suzuki SV1000N & 09' Ninja 250r (wife's)

Last edited by Stuart little; 16th October 2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Answers
Stuart little is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 14th October 2013, 02:42 AM   #2

Tallpaul is on a distinguished road

I've cleaned the MAF sensor with electronic contact cleaner several times now over the past 4 years with no problems. Tend to do it a week or so after re-oiling the K&N air filter just in case it was over oiled. Let it dry before using the car though.
TP

MY2014 A5 Cab Special Ed 3.0TDI 245 S-tronic, Sepang Blue

Sports Diff | Damper Control | ADS | Tech pack MMI+ | Adaptive Head Lights | Hill hold | Interior Light Pack | Dimming & Folding Mirrors | TPMS | Debadged | S5 Flat Bottom Wheel | S5 Brushed Aluminium Mirror caps | S5 Rear Valance | Milltek Quad Exhaust | DTUK CRD-T | K&N filter | RS5 Cab Rear Spoiler | RS5 Grille | SmartTop Roof controller | Gloss Black Calipers | H&R Trak+ 20/10mm | KW adj. Springs | LED Fogs.
VCDS mods
Tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th October 2013, 10:36 AM   #3

ChipB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart little View Post
Where is the snow screen filter so I can clean it
I'll bite - what's a snow screen filter?

Quote:
Also, I spoke with the Audi dealer I know the guy took it to and the oil was changed 4k miles and 5 months ago, is it a waste of $$$ to change it out already?
Oil change is not needed for a year or 15K miles, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Given that this is a used car it may be wise to have the oil checked by a lab so you can see if there are any issues with the engine.

-ChipB

'09 S5: 6 sp, Phantom Black/Silver with Vavona wood inlays, tech pkg, Nav, B&O sound, STaSIS/Ohlins SL Suspension package with adjustable coilovers
ChipB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th October 2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
I'll bite - what's a snow screen filter?
On some of my other vehicles including VW's there is a filter before the actual air filter which is there to prevent moisture, this may not exist on the S5 but figure it's better to check and clean it living in Colorado than wait.

-08' S5 | 6MT | Meteor Gray Pearl Effect (Currently Dipped Koi Orange)| Magma Red Interior | Nav + | Tech Package | B&O | CF Inlays | Strat SS
-10' VW TDI Cup Edition | 6MT | Laser Blue | RNS-510 SatNav/DVD | Sunroof | ThunderBunny Bodykit | MDI
Old 14th October 2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Daytona Audi is on a distinguished road

If you are talking about your first oil change, it is critical that it be done. Modern engines are built to much tighter tolerances than your father's engine but they still need that first oil change as any metal that is produced by the new engine breaking in must be removed.

If you plan on trading the car in the future, you are going to want a service record that the maintenance was done.

And why spend all the money you did to own an Audi than treat it like a Ford.
Daytona Audi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th October 2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Audi View Post
If you are talking about your first oil change, it is critical that it be done. Modern engines are built to much tighter tolerances than your father's engine but they still need that first oil change as any metal that is produced by the new engine breaking in must be removed.

If you plan on trading the car in the future, you are going to want a service record that the maintenance was done.

And why spend all the money you did to own an Audi than treat it like a Ford.
Yeah, obviously it isn't the cars first oil change otherwise there wouldn't be a record of the last one done 4,000 miles ago in May...

I have no intention of treating it like a Ford, just asking a very basic question question but I guess I should just keep questions to myself if it will only draw disdain from some when trying to figure out basic maintenance items on a new car. My other VW's manuals say 10,000 miles or once a year depending on which comes first.

Old 15th October 2013, 01:27 AM   #7

grimree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, obviously it isn't the cars first oil change otherwise there wouldn't be a record of the last one done 4,000 miles ago in May...

I have no intention of treating it like a Ford, just asking a very basic question question but I guess I should just keep questions to myself if it will only draw disdain from some when trying to figure out basic maintenance items on a new car. My other VW's manuals say 10,000 miles or once a year depending on which comes first.
If you don't know - ask. Some forum members have more patience than others(or don't mean what their comments would appear to mean)

Old-n-Crumbly

2009 3.0TDI Quattro S/Line Cabriolet, 7Speed S-Tronic,Ibis white with Red roof, Electric/heated seats, Phone prep Hi, Parking system+, Audi drive select, Technology package, B&O sound system, Cruise control, Auto lights/wipers, Folding/self dimming electric mirrors, Tyre pressure monitor
grimree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th October 2013, 04:43 AM   #8

JSCsS5 is an unknown quantity at this point

the snow screen is a plastic piece the redirects air flow downward in the air filter box where the intake comes from the front. It is eliminated when doing the AWE carbon/apr carbonio intakes to allow for more direct air flow to the filter.

2012 Audi S5 special Edition: OEM RS5 grille, AWE touring exhaust, AWE non-resonated down pipes, AWE s-flow carbon intake, K & N air filter, H&R sport springs, PES supercharger
2010 Audi Q7 TDI prestige s line: every option available including the adaptive air ride and B & O.
2010 Audi S6 Custom Ferrari red paint from factory, V-10, RS grille, built in radar detector
JSCsS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th October 2013, 04:53 AM   #9

Daytona Audi is on a distinguished road

Sorry about that. I had no intention to insult you. I was only trying to help.
Daytona Audi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th October 2013, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCsS5 View Post
the snow screen is a plastic piece the redirects air flow downward in the air filter box where the intake comes from the front. It is eliminated when doing the AWE carbon/apr carbonio intakes to allow for more direct air flow to the filter.
Gracias, I'll take a look when I drop in my new filter to see if it needs some cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Audi View Post
Sorry about that. I had no intention to insult you. I was only trying to help.
My bad, I shouldn't get on the forums when I haven't slept in ~30hrs I hate seeing people with nice cars that get treated like garbage, just to show my dedication to my cars see below!

I got the car one week ago since then I have:
-(Got an inspection before I purchased it - just needs a motor mount)
-Replaced with brand new windshield
-washed, claybar'ed and waxed
-cleaned and conditioned leather
-ordered door sensors
-put in OEM rubber S5 mats for Colorado weather
-shopvac'ed the entire plenum out as it was filled with leaves
-ordered a new coolant expansion tank as it has a hairline crack
-Added in grocery hangers to the rear like my VWs so stuff isn't flying around in the back
-Ordered K&N air filter and cabin filter, cleaned MAF
-Tomorrow it gets the new motor mount it needs + an oil change while it's on the lift
-Rebadged the rear as the S badge was peeling
-Hardwired in a radar detector
-Ordered AMI iPod cable + added 150GB iPod
-Filled all tires including spare and set TPMS numbers
-Vagcom'ed in ~15 changes
-Ordered AMP cover for the TSB that allows water to sneak in from hinges
-and probably 50 other minor things

Next up:
-Plasti-dip grill
-Get winter wheels, I'm curious if this set will fit as they are lightweight, have new winter tires, TMPS, look nice & are a good price - Audi A3 Winter Wheels & Tires

Old 16th October 2013, 05:37 AM   #11

JSCsS5 is an unknown quantity at this point

the screen at the front of the intake tube, forgot about that, must be what they are calling a "fliter". It will collect bugs and crap.

2012 Audi S5 special Edition: OEM RS5 grille, AWE touring exhaust, AWE non-resonated down pipes, AWE s-flow carbon intake, K & N air filter, H&R sport springs, PES supercharger
2010 Audi Q7 TDI prestige s line: every option available including the adaptive air ride and B & O.
2010 Audi S6 Custom Ferrari red paint from factory, V-10, RS grille, built in radar detector
JSCsS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th October 2013, 05:49 AM   #12

Sportback is on a distinguished road

You wont need to clean the snow thing as all it is is a piece of plastic same as the air box material

SB

MY13 S5 Sportback - Monsoon Grey & Black/Black Interior|Sound, Black Styling & Convenience Packs|RS5 Grille|Cruise Control|Parking System Plus |Carbon Atlas Inlays|Flat Bottom Steering Wheel|Tyre Pressure Monitor|Advanced Key|Touch Screen Nav|Hold Assist|AWE Carbon S-Flo Intake, Resonated Downpipes & Exhaust System|KW V1 Coilovers|EBC Brake Disks|Akebono Brake Pads|LED Interior, Fog, Front indicator & Reversing Bulbs|20" Silver Rotors|Tinted Windows|Gloss Black Rear Diffuser
Sportback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th October 2013, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportback View Post
You wont need to clean the snow thing as all it is is a piece of plastic same as the air box material

SB
Yeah, last night I took off the cowl to protect the radiator while plastidip'ing the grill and gave it a little shop vac and now as clean as can be, not quite the same as other 'snow filters' but easy to check nonetheless.

Old 16th October 2013, 10:57 AM   #14

Just installed the K&N, ever so slightly louder I think (much nicer in real life), filter arrived not too oily which is nice but in a couple of days I'll pop off the MAF and spray it with CRC MAF Cleaner just in case even though K&N believes dealer claims of oiled MAFs are BS.

Audi S5 K&N Air Filter Installed - YouTube

Old 16th October 2013, 02:27 PM   #15

FYI - I found out what the "blue thingy" (Tis a vacuum reservoir - pg 27) was just from some good ol' reading - 4.2 V8 PDF - http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/RS4V8-StudyGuide.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.