2007 Audi A5 3.0 TDI quattro m., new problem: DPF - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 & S5 Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2011, 05:40 AM   #1

labombadiesel is on a distinguished road
Default 2007 Audi A5 3.0 TDI quattro m., new problem: DPF

Well, first of all I has to say that my car has now after 3 years and 9 months 116.000 kms, and I remind people who didn't know it that around 2.500 kms ago my car had replaced the air intake manifold due to faults of its internal flaps/valves.

Well, when the dealer made it he told me the DPF and EGR were both on fit but now 2.500 kms later it looks like it's not like that.

My car is almost only used for motorway travelling at 170-180 kms/h during long distances.
As well I use it in winter to go skiing but always travel fast as well at around 140 kms/h in main roads and slower in secondary roads but with high rpms.

So, past friday evening when I started my car to go to the beach for the weekend a dashboard light turned on intermittently. It was the "preheaters" light and as it didn't turn off i decided to turn off the car, wait some seconds and start it again. Then the light didn't shine again and everything looked fine, so I departed...

After more than 200 kms of motorway at around 170-180 kms/h, when I had just left the motorway suddenly another dashboard light turned on but with a message on the FIS. It said in spanish " anti-particule filter, see users manual".

As I knowed what to do in that case i put my car in a short gear and kept on driving with the engine around 3.000 rpms, and in 5-10 minutes driving like this the FIS message disappeared, so I returned to drive normally working everything apparently fine.
Even after two stops that day and the Sunday return travelling everything kept on being fine.

Anyway I can't understand how my car can have the DPF clogged after a drive like mine in the motorway, so on sunday night and being at home I did an Autoscan with the Vagcom/VCDS and it showed this:

5188 - Diesel Particulate Filter (Bank 1): Restricted/Clogged
P242F 00 [032] - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 115925 km
Date: 2011.06.17
Time: 17:07:39
5253 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450): Signal too High
P0473 00 [032] - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 116134 km
Time: 18:46:01
5189 - Particulate Trap Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P2002 00 [032] - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 115925 km
Time: 17:07:39

As you can see it looks like my DPF or some sensor in it has faults, so tomorrow morning it's going to dealer to have a look and try to fix it.

I've been investigating and it looks like these 3.0 TDI engines tend to have faults with the EGR, DPF and air intake manifolds when they have around 100.000 kms or more, so I will see now if I finally keep the car or go to find another one, yet if I keep it as I would like, what it's sure is that I will turn the EGR off and maybe as well take the DPF out of the car because being my car of 2007 it doesn't need to have a DPF to pass the spanish MOT.

I will tell you what my dealer says the next days...

Last edited by labombadiesel; 20th June 2011 at 05:44 AM.
labombadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 20th June 2011, 06:14 AM   #2
C99

C99 is on a distinguished road

As I see the most faults means: No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

So You can try to solve it via VCDS.
Start the engine.
Go to 01-Engine, 04-Basic settings and/or 10-Adaptation,
find line All tests (or something like this) press GO or START and wait till the end of the tests.

I'm not in my car now, so I can tell You exactly what to do after 6 p.m. CET.

DPF: You can trie find Advanced meassuring: Oil ash - X.XX liter, value over 0,52 liter, DPF must be changed.
Mine had 0.07 l in 60000 km.

DON'T PANIC !

2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods www.sportmotor.cz
C99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th June 2011, 06:23 AM   #3

vRStu is on a distinguished road

It is possible there is a fault on the sensor. i have a friend with an A4 TDi who had the same two weeks ago and it was a known problem with a defective sensor.

Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous -

MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

MY07 S3 3 Door Ibis White
vRStu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th June 2011, 09:46 AM   #4

thanks a lot to both of you!!!

What is true is that my car has started to have problems related to the low emission systems of the engine just past the 100.000 kms, but as I can turn off the EGR and take out the DPF without having problems in our MOT, when both are broken I will deactivate them...

C99, please if you find that exact information I will be very thankful...

Anyway tomorrow morning my car is going to the dealer and as I have a very good relation with them I will ask them to tell me clearly how the DPF and EGR are and what the hell has happened with my car...
Old 21st June 2011, 10:52 PM   #5
C99

Let us know what they find.

2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods www.sportmotor.cz
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:44 AM   #6

I'm waiting for my dealer's answer about my car faults, but it looks like it could be probably a faulty dpf sensor (the G450, which is failing a lot in other vag TDI engines), yet maybe it could be the DPF itself, the EGR, a turbo boost regulation valve o maybe some or all of them together, so we'll see...

C99, please, could you clear me up what you told me about testing the dpf with the vagcom?, because I'm not sure about how to do the test...
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:43 AM   #7

vRStu is on a distinguished road

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C99 View Post
Let us know what they find.

Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous -

MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

MY07 S3 3 Door Ibis White
vRStu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:17 PM   #8

jonnywhit is on a distinguished road

just do a proper cleanout of dpf on the highway 4000-5000 rpm 10-20 minutes, the above errors are normal. also try some better quality diesel for now if possible.

2008 3.0 tdi red, bluefin 290 bhp, tinted windows, 2010 3g dvd mmi, dab radio, bluetooth/phone full, voice control, rs5 carbon fiber interior, rs5 pedals, s5 silver auto folding mirrors, cruise control, led auto leveling lights, led lights at night full power with tail lights & interior, battery meter, manual oil dipstick added, beep signal for alarm.
jonnywhit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywhit View Post
just do a proper cleanout of dpf on the highway 4000-5000 rpm 10-20 minutes, the above errors are normal. also try some better quality diesel for now if possible.
Well, I think you are confusing our diesel car with a petrol one, and even in that case it couldn't be possible because petrol cars haven't DPF..
I remind you that to do the dpf regeneration you have to run around 10 minutes at 3.000 rpms...

Anyway, problem solved by now...

My dealer has phoned me to tell there is a faulty differential pressure DPF sensor (the in/famous G450).
So they are going to replace it as well as apply a new software update, although they haven't been able to tell me what it is for, the EGR, the DPF, the engine software o whatever...

As well I will see if they put again my engine mode in comfort as other times, because I deactivated the ADS before taking the car to the dealer to avoid the Charisma error in the ECU which is saved when the ADS is activated with the vagcom.

Well, it looks like my DPF is still on fit but I will see it after doing some more kms at my standard cruise speed...
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:55 PM   #10

no I wasn't confused I had the same problem in summer and that's how I cleared it.

2008 3.0 tdi red, bluefin 290 bhp, tinted windows, 2010 3g dvd mmi, dab radio, bluetooth/phone full, voice control, rs5 carbon fiber interior, rs5 pedals, s5 silver auto folding mirrors, cruise control, led auto leveling lights, led lights at night full power with tail lights & interior, battery meter, manual oil dipstick added, beep signal for alarm.
Old 24th June 2011, 05:53 AM   #11
C99

Quote:
Originally Posted by labombadiesel View Post
As well I will see if they put again my engine mode in comfort as other times, because I deactivated the ADS before taking the car to the dealer to avoid the Charisma error in the ECU which is saved when the ADS is activated with the vagcom.

Well, it looks like my DPF is still on fit but I will see it after doing some more kms at my standard cruise speed...
Can you post here VCDS Engine Advanced ID? I don't thing there is update for 2007 A5 3.0TDI CAPA engine.

Old 24th June 2011, 04:19 PM   #12

C99, where is it?

I mean, what exactly you want me to show you?

Anyway it won't be possible until next wednesday because i still haven't the car due to my dealer not having that sensor in stock, nor the spanish Audi retailer, so it has to arrive from germany next tuesday...
Old 25th June 2011, 04:59 AM   #13
C99

What I mean, see picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	open-controller.JPG
Views:	1594
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	10897  

Old 27th June 2011, 08:33 AM   #14

C99, now I know where it is because it's the same place where the ECU shows the flashes done to it (for example when the car is remapped), but there's something quite strange because I know that my 2007 A5 3.0 TDI quattro has had at least 1 or 2 engine software updates flashes done by my dealer, but when I looked at there some weeks ago it said there "0 ECU flashes", so I didn't understand it...
Old 27th June 2011, 12:42 PM   #15
C99

If there is "0", no sw, update has been done. That's it.
They do some other updates on mine, Dash panel, Central locking etc., but never engine ECU.

They did engine ECU update on wife's Q5 and there is "1", for S-tronic the same.

Old 27th June 2011, 02:22 PM   #16

Full Metal Jackass is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Full Metal Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywhit View Post
no I wasn't confused I had the same problem in summer and that's how I cleared it.
Bearing in mind the red line is somewhere around 4600, spending 10 - 20 minutes running at 5000 rpm can't be considered "beneficial".

Or are you the sort of person who says "if it doesn't work, hit it with a hammer. If it works, good. If it doesn't work, well after hitting it with a hammer it never will....."

10.000v in my arms......but the lightbulb in my head still won't light up......

A7 Sportback 3.0 TDI Quattro S Tronic
Full Metal Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28th June 2011, 04:53 AM   #17

right now I'm really disappointed with Audi...

The reason is that today I've called my dealer to ask about my car and they have told me that Audi Germany had just answered to Audi Spain that they hadn't either stock of that dpf sensor, but what is worse is that the supplier as well hasn't stock of that sensor and even they didn't know when they were going to have it!!!!!!

How!!!!!!

Yes, what i've just written, so I am without my car for a week and what is worse even Audi don't know when I'm going to have my car repaired...

I'm about to send my car to the hell, and Audi with it...

Disappointed, very disappointed with Audi...
Old 29th June 2011, 02:39 AM   #18

Full Metal Jackassno I was in Malta and didn't have the luxury of a 20km+ road, the biggest and main highway is only 2km long with a roundabout at either end to try keep high revs is the only way there which was possible.

Old 1st July 2011, 01:47 AM   #19

Well, miraculously yesterday morning my dealer received the sensor after being told that it wasn't going to be sent and that there weren't any of them available anywhere!!!

So I have my car now repaired and with an engine software update made as my dealer told me... (C99, it's for you...).
I could confirm it because when connecting the vagcom past night I had a look at the ECU flash counter and now it said "1" instead of "0", as it said before taking the car to the dealer.

As well, when reactivated all the tricks they had deleted due to the update I found some interesting things...

First of all is that they have left my car again with the comfort mode activated in both engine and steer, when I had taken the car to the dealer with all in Auto and the ADS deactivated to avoid the faults it says when having the ADS activated with the vagcom.

As well I started up the car being in my parking and had a look at some engine values:

50000.0 Nm Clutch protection limiting torque 005
43.5 Nm Actual engine torque 019
400.0 Nm Torque limitation 247
0.63 l/h Fuel consumption 345
36.6 C Fuel temperature 417
73.2 C Engine oil temperature 496
5.49 g Soot mass measured 501
0.20 l Oil ash 506
0 m Distance since last regeneration 510-2
00000000 00000001 Service regeneration abort detected (bit 8) 528-1
0.00 s Service regeneration current regeneration time 530
1000.0 Nm Gearbox control unit limiting torque 586

The best of all is that after 116500 kms my DPF shows only 0,2 l of oil ash, so knowing by C99 that till 0,52 l of oil ash the DPF can work properly I feel quite happy because it looks like I have DPF at least for another 120.000 kms more...

What I didn't like about those data is that I don't Know why but there is a Torque limiter at 400 Nm when it should be at 500 Nm as the clutch torque limit shows as well.

Can anybody tell me why it's there?

Last edited by labombadiesel; 1st July 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:02 AM   #20
C99

This value changes when you drive, 400 N.m is on idle, or engine off, as I remember.

0 m Distance since last regeneration 510-2 - there is an error in VCDS for this ECU (8K0 907 401), (for the other ECUs it works) it always shows 0m. I have written to Ross-tech about it already 2 years ago, but no success.

Can you post your ECU identification like this:

Part No SW: 8K0 907 401 HW: 8K0 907 401
Component: 3.0TDI EDC17 H01 0009
Coding: 01140023180F0118
Shop #: WSC 06325

Last edited by C99; 3rd July 2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 5th July 2011, 02:45 AM   #21

Yes, sure C99... (I EDIT THIS POST TO ADD SOME MORE NEWS)

Here It is my present autoscan result:

Component: 3.0TDI EDC17 H01 0012
Revision: --H01---
Coding: 01140023180F0120
Shop #: WSC 00916 572 175668
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM30LTDIA5 A01016
ROD: EV_ECM30LTDIA5.rod

As you can see our A5s have some different things...

First is the Component number which finish "0009" in yours and "0012" in mine right now, but previously in my car it said "0008".
Later My car has a "Revision: --H01--", not in yours, although that was previously to the software update as you will see in my previous autoscan shown below.
The car coding as well is different because mine finish in "F0120" and yours in "F0118" but again that code was already in my car before the the software update.

I put here as well the autoscan results before the software update to be able to compare both:

Component: 3.0TDI EDC17 H01 0008
Revision: --H01---
Coding: 01140023180F0120
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM30LTDIA5 A01009
ROD: EV_ECM30LTDIA5.rod

As you can see even the ASAM Dataset changes Between both autoscans, so there's something different.

What do you think about it C99?

Last edited by labombadiesel; 5th July 2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:40 AM   #22

zlaja011 is on a distinguished road

Hello i just want to say same problem at 119.000km first the dpf warning shows on trip cputer screen and after driving for a little more the preheater lamp blinks and the car goes into service mode, it seems like it shuts down turbo. I restart the car and it goes ok for aprox 10km.same problem apears after trying to clean dpf! Is it Possible that i have the sensor problem as well?
zlaja011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:32 AM   #23

danjwilson is on a distinguished road

I had exactly the same symptoms in December last year at only 45,000 miles. Dealer diagnosed EGR valve fault. I had it replaced and the problem solved. Cost... 950.00.
I complained to Audi UK CS and they refunded me 400 as a goodwill gesture as my warranty had only expired two months prior and I had a couple of other issues previously.

Dan.

A5 3.0TDI quattro Sport Coupe 6MT - Ice Silver - DVD Sat Nav Plus, B&O, DAB, AMI-iPod, 19" Y-Spoke, Auto Dimming RVM, Elec. Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Silver/Stone Valcona Electric/Heated Seats, Bluetooth, Interior Light Pack, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, usual VAGCOM mods.
danjwilson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:02 AM   #24

zlaja011 is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that audi after its waranty expires must be sold because it starts to falling apart. Because i have a feeling that exactly that is happening to me!
zlaja011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.