Review: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 & S5 Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2011, 04:25 AM   #1

QuattroWerks is on a distinguished road
Default Review: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

After many happy miles (including track time) on my factory Dunlops, it was time for new tires given they were down to 3/32" tread depth. The initial reviews of the the PSS tires in the various U.S. car rags was very favorable and although having never driven on PS2s in the past, their performance was legendary so I figured their successor would be worth the $$.

After installation, I immediately noticed a measurable improvement in ride (I would estimate about 15%) with similar noise to the Dunlops. Now with about 1,000 miles under my belt, all I can say is WOW. Quite simply the best "summer tire" I have ever run on any car. Ever. The dry grip is utterly breathtaking and I can truly say I can't imagine finding the dry adhesion limit of these tires on the street. I have not been able to get the tail end out at all in the dry; not even a wiggle. Corners where I could get some tail movement while powering out past the apex is now much less dramatic - the car simply squats and goes. Turn-in is excellent as well.

As impressive as these tires are in the dry, the wet performance is head & shoulders above the factory Dunlops. Even with torrential rain, the grip is astounding and the car simply doesn't move around. The added safety margin is very welcome.

No track time yet but from what I've read, these tires should be close to a lower performing "R" compound tire in the dry so I'm anticipating they will vastly outperform the factory Dunlops.

Not cheap ($308/corner) but absolutely worth every penny IMHO!

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

2008 Audi S5
Custom-Tuned by FarnbacherLoles / AWE Downpipes / Milltek Exhaust / BMC Filter / European Headlights / H&R Coilovers/
20MM/25MM Spacers / Blinder X-Treme Laser Jammer / STaSIS Rear Sway Bar / Xenon/HID Fog Light Conversion/
Custom Subwoofer Enclosure w/Dynamat Everywhere / Lüsch Fog Light Grilles / JHM Short Shifter / Michelin Pilot Super Sports
QuattroWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Spinner is on a distinguished road

Thanks QW, I'm considering my next set of tyres (and possibly lightwheel wheels), these are top of my list but couldn't find any reviews of anyone running them on 19's or 20's so was still iffy.

Please keep us updated on how they handle and wear on the track.

Spinner - Forum Sponsor as part of PES Tuning team
www.audisuperchargers.co.uk
PES Tuning Supercharged (inc w/meth) 531ps / 628nm

S5 | Meteor Grey, Saddle Brown and all the tricks, rolling on Vossen CV3's & Michelin PPS's ................... R135
APS installs: Milltek no res cat-back & downpipes | KW Variant 2 coilovers | 15mm H&R spacers | .......... └┼┼┤
Sportec pedal set | RS brakes | BMC air filter | Stratmosphere short throw shifter .................................. 246
Spinner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 09:10 AM   #3

scratch113 is on a distinguished road

These will definitely be my next tyre purchase, but sadly (in some respects) I bought 4x PS3 back in January when my previous Continental Sport Contact 3s had worn out after just 11k miles!

PS3 is also an awesome tyre, but I'm sure the PSS is that much better.

PSS were officially released in December, but sadly I didn't even hear of them until about March, so it will be some time (I hope longer than the Contis, for sure!) before I need another set. Maybe the price will come down a bit once they've been on the market for a while. Then again there may be reports of porcine aviation before then as well...!

Audi history:
95-98 A4 1.8T Sport; 98-03 A4 2.8 Quattro; 03-07 S4 4.2 Quattro (all saloons)
Now own: A5 3.0 TDi Sport | Phantom Black | Black Milano leather | heated seats | 19" Y alloys | B&O | DVD Satnav+ | AMI | Parking+ | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Cruise | Interior light pack
Mods added: Luggage hooks | Boot side net | Hoen fogs | Bluefin remap | Milltek exhaust | Refurbished alloys
scratch113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 09:57 AM   #4

S5xy is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm really interested in purchasing a set of these tires when my Dunlops wear out as well.

I've been trying to find reviews on them, and the few that existed were rave about them. I'm hoping Tire Rack will release their full report of the PSS soon.

As for the price, they're still quite the bargain compared to the other Michelin and Pirelli top max-performance tires - definitely worth it if they are as good as they appear to be IMO.
S5xy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 10:09 AM   #5

shardphoenix is on a distinguished road

@QuattroWerks
Which stock Dunlops are you
talking about. I fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx TT 245/40/R18 tires on my car and I have to say I have ne'er experienced so much grip front normal road going car tires.

Incredible grip on the dry and every time I try to find the limit in wet (in a safe environment I am flabbergasted.

Really like them but I wonder how they compare to the Michelin's.

You have any thoughts about that?

My Car: 2010 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI manual 180 BHP
ProLine package: std Xenon+, std NAV, light package, luggage package, special sound system, Alarm, 3-zone airco, rear PDC, sport steering wheel, color BIS.
Other options: Sport seats with Atrium upholstery, sport chassis, black sealing, rain/light sensor, auto light blocking RVM, wheel lock bolts, no type and engine marking, chrome exhaust piece, Dunlop Sport Maxx TT 245/40/R18, MAK Variante rims.
Tuning: MTM Tuned to 275 BHP, K&N stock filter.
shardphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 10:32 AM   #6

gruffle is on a distinguished road

Yep PSS for me as soon as I can wear these Dunlops out.

and I am trying
gruffle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Just tried to order them on OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19x9 wheels (they don't do 19x8.5) and being told that tyre size isn't in production yet? So tried for Toyo R888's and also out of stock with no confirmed restocking date due to being the beginning of the track season

S5 | Meteor Grey, Saddle Brown and all the tricks, rolling on Vossen CV3's & Michelin PPS's ................... R135
APS installs: Milltek no res cat-back & downpipes | KW Variant 2 coilovers | 15mm H&R spacers | .......... └┼┼┤
Sportec pedal set | RS brakes | BMC air filter | Stratmosphere short throw shifter .................................. 246

Last edited by Spinner; 19th May 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardphoenix View Post
@QuattroWerks
Which stock Dunlops are you
talking about. I fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx TT 245/40/R18 tires on my car and I have to say I have ne'er experienced so much grip front normal road going car tires.

Incredible grip on the dry and every time I try to find the limit in wet (in a safe environment I am flabbergasted.

Really like them but I wonder how they compare to the Michelin's.

You have any thoughts about that?
I'm running the factory 255/35-19 tire size on factory wheels. When I took the Dunlops on the track, I was truly impressed too! That being said, on dry pavement and @ 3/32" tread, the Dunlops can't compare and the the PSS is absolutely superior as I have not found the limit on them (yet)! In the rain, you can't compare a worn tire to a new one but IIRC, (when they were newer) the Dunlops were not even close in terms of grip and hydroplaning resistance as compared to the PSS.

2008 Audi S5
Custom-Tuned by FarnbacherLoles / AWE Downpipes / Milltek Exhaust / BMC Filter / European Headlights / H&R Coilovers/
20MM/25MM Spacers / Blinder X-Treme Laser Jammer / STaSIS Rear Sway Bar / Xenon/HID Fog Light Conversion/
Custom Subwoofer Enclosure w/Dynamat Everywhere / Lüsch Fog Light Grilles / JHM Short Shifter / Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Old 19th May 2011, 12:43 PM   #9

parkerfe is on a distinguished road

The new Super Sport tires are not available for my S5 Cabriolet in the OEM 255/35-19 size

Frank Parker, Esq. www.deminglaw.com
parkerfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 12:47 PM   #10

pparrett is on a distinguished road
Default Just put mine on yesterday

Just put on a set in 255/35/20 yesterday. So far loving them. Excellent dry grip and nice and quiet. (crappy phone pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-18 08.44.36.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	10576  

2011 A5 2.0T S-Line 6MT
APR|S5 Quad Exhaust|20" RS4|255/35/20|JL 2x10"|R8 Oil Cap|Klasse|VAG'd
Mod Thread...
pparrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th May 2011, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerfe View Post
The new Super Sport tires are not available for my S5 Cabriolet in the OEM 255/35-19 size
Should be - see here for available sizes:
MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport | tyres for passenger cars | MICHELIN UK
255/35R19 is listed, so if a supplier is saying they don't exist, suggest you point them in this direction!

What they don't list is an AO fitting, which is the Audi specific rim fitment, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Audi history:
Now own: A5 3.0 TDi Sport | Phantom Black | Black Milano leather | heated seats | 19" Y alloys | B&O | DVD Satnav+ | AMI | Parking+ | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Cruise | Interior light pack
Mods added: Luggage hooks | Boot side net | Hoen fogs | Bluefin remap | Milltek exhaust | Refurbished alloys
Old 20th May 2011, 02:12 AM   #12

xxup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch113 View Post
...What they don't list is an AO fitting, which is the Audi specific rim fitment, but that shouldn't be a problem.
Oh that is new information.. Can you provide any more details about the AO fitting? Does it mean that "normal" tyres will not fit properly??

Adrian

2010 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T quattro s-tronic | Phantom Black | 19" wheels | Acoustic Hood Lining | Heated Seats | Full MMI Nav | Tow bar
xxup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th May 2011, 03:22 AM   #13
Site Sponsor

Guys this is the same size that I'm after, parkerfe is correct they're not available yet.

They simply haven't started production of all sizes so despite them being listed yoy try finding someone who can sell them to you or even tell you when they'll be available Hopefully it won't long!
Old 20th May 2011, 03:32 AM   #14
Site Sponsor

OA in my opinion is no problem at all. All it means is Audi have paid the tyres manufacturers to have a specific version stamped with their code that rarely is any different to the original. It's a bit like Microsoft approving software drivers at a ridiculous price to the developer just so a warning doesn't pop up that you're about to install an unapproved driver, main difference being that far fewer take notice of the tyre rip off than understand computers, in fact the only time I've had AO specific tyres was the current set of conti's and in every category they are the worst set of tyres I've had!

Last edited by Spinner; 20th May 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 20th May 2011, 08:21 AM   #15

labombadiesel is on a distinguished road

Really good tyres those pss.

Anyway i would like to see a comparation between these michelin pss and the contisport 5p, which incidentally my A5 is wearing in 255-35/19 96Y and are the best sport tyres i've ever tested, including the ps2...
labombadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th May 2011, 09:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by labombadiesel View Post
Really good tyres those pss.

Anyway i would like to see a comparation between these michelin pss and the contisport 5p, which incidentally my A5 is wearing in 255-35/19 96Y and are the best sport tyres i've ever tested, including the ps2...
No head-to-head test yet but did find this on Tire Rack's website: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Introductory Track Drive

2008 Audi S5
Old 20th May 2011, 10:21 AM   #17

number2jcb is on a distinguished road
Default I concur

I agree with everything that Quattro works said and more. I put mine on about 1500 miles ago (I just moved 350 miles away and have made the trip twice). They are just awesome. Completely blew me away. I was never impressed with my friends ps2s. They also don't hydroplane, and my car doesn't seem to have that feeling of the rear coming out in wet braking.

Dry grip is just awesome, and these tires soak up bumps much better than the dunlaps ever did.

For added measure, I paid to have my stock rims restored (fix all the bends). Now my steering wheel doesn't shake and the tires are kick a$$!

'08 S5 Meteor Magma Monster. Since 2008.03.01
number2jcb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th May 2011, 11:13 AM   #18

oldzmann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
These will definitely be my next tyre purchase, but sadly (in some respects) I bought 4x PS3 back in January when my previous Continental Sport Contact 3s had worn out after just 11k miles!
How do the PS3's compare to the Conti SC3's?
Thanks
oldzmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th May 2011, 02:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldzmann View Post
How do the PS3's compare to the Conti SC3's?
Thanks
Contis were great in the dry, ok in the wet, but the biggest issue for me was the ridiculous wear rate. I got 28k miles out of both the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx GTs and also the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics I had after them, but the Contis only lasted 11k miles for all 4 to be worn out!

PS3 are probably slightly better in the dry, far better in the wet and so far the wear seems ok, but they've only been fitted for 3k miles, so it's a bit early to assess the actual wear rate.

Audi history:
Old 20th May 2011, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxup View Post
Oh that is new information.. Can you provide any more details about the AO fitting? Does it mean that "normal" tyres will not fit properly??
No, the AO is a Michelin designator that a specific tyre model and size was supplied as an OEM tyre to a manufacturer. You'd have absolutely no problem fitting a tyre of the correct size that wasn't AO marked.

More info on this site I found, especially at the bottom of the page:
Pilot Sport 3 | Michelin Tires

Audi history:
Old 20th May 2011, 10:38 PM   #21

xxup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, the AO is a Michelin designator that a specific tyre model and size was supplied as an OEM tyre to a manufacturer. You'd have absolutely no problem fitting a tyre of the correct size that wasn't AO marked.....

Thanks for the info..

Adrian

2010 A5 Cabriolet 2.0T quattro s-tronic | Phantom Black | 19" wheels | Acoustic Hood Lining | Heated Seats | Full MMI Nav | Tow bar
xxup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st May 2011, 06:07 PM   #22
Site Sponsor

Quite surprised at these results .... 2011 Autoreview Max Performance Summer Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Conti Sport Contact 5's win, downside was their wear on the track which is exactly what I suffered.

Best dry grip and steering feedback is exactly what I'm after so the Michelin's still fit my requirement.... if they get produced in time for my pending replacements.

Old 22nd May 2011, 02:47 PM   #23

labombadiesel is on a distinguished road

Sppinner, thanks for the comparison and there you can see exactly what i said, the contisport 5p is almost the best in dry tests and almost the best in wet test, while the michelin pss is the best in the dry for a very little difference with the contisport 5p but poor in the wet, while the good year f1 assymetric is the best in the wet over the contisport 5p for a very little margin but very poor in the dry.

As well it's very important the weight of every tyre because it affects to the performance because it's no suspended weight, there the 5p is the lighter...

About the tyre wear i will tell you if it's like that with road use, although till now it doesn't seem to be like that in my car...
labombadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd May 2011, 03:22 AM   #24

Well another puncture this morning - one too many and I have to change.

Having said I would go for the PSS, I have in fact decided to go for the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's and saved £200 in the process.

Thanks Spinner for the link to the article that made me look a bit harder at what was out there, I'll never believe one review on its own but is good to have some perspective.

Just so that I knew how the 2's were marked so as not to get ripped off with old ones I checked the GY website.

Interesting to see which wheels they have the tyres mounted on in the pics - mine

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 | Goodyear Car Tyres

Will report back how I get on with them.
Old 23rd May 2011, 03:58 AM   #25

JonnieB is on a distinguished road

I think my tyres need changing soon, how much did you pay Gruffle for the rubber?

not sure whether to use Kwik-fit online which is cheaper than in-store or somewhere else.

cheers
JB
JonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Quite surprised at these results .... 2011 Autoreview Max Performance Summer Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Conti Sport Contact 5's win, downside was their wear on the track which is exactly what I suffered.

Best dry grip and steering feedback is exactly what I'm after so the Michelin's still fit my requirement.... if they get produced in time for my pending replacements.
Quite surprising Spinner! I was blown away at how little the PSS hydroplaned and I felt the wet grip was amazing...

2008 Audi S5
Old 23rd May 2011, 05:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Quite surprised at these results .... <a href="http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Autoreview-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm" target="_blank">2011 Autoreview Max Performance Summer Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide</a><br> <br>
Conti Sport Contact 5's win, downside was their wear on the track which is exactly what I suffered. <br> <br>
This review reads a little strange to me - I know it's only an extract of the full article and my Russian isn't up to much to actually read the full article, but the PSS is summarised as the best steering feel, but subjectively only comes equal 5th. Whole test seems very biased to wet performance, but hard to tell from just an excerpt.

Tread wear would also be a massive issue for me - my last set of Tyres were Continental CS3s and lasted less than half the distance of either the Dunlop or Goodyears I had before. That in effect makes the Contis more than twice as expensive, which is an issue for the majority of people, and certainly for me. Sad that every magazine test completely ignores this as even being an issue.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:03 AM   #28
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroWerks View Post
Quite surprising Spinner! I was blown away at how little the PSS hydroplaned and I felt the wet grip was amazing...
Based on your review I felt the same however in hindsight we should consider different sized tyres, 235/35 R19's, on a fwd Sirocco R isn't exactly a great comparison.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the Goodyears Gruffle.

Don't know what I'm going to do just yet, I want lightweight wheels and had set my heart on some Dymag carbon magnesium wheels (just 6kg for 20's!) but just been informed they've gone into liquidation so now waiting on a call for advise on alternatives. Whatever happens I need to make a move soon as tyres don't have much left on them.

Old 23rd May 2011, 06:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieB View Post
I think my tyres need changing soon, how much did you pay Gruffle for the rubber?

not sure whether to use Kwik-fit online which is cheaper than in-store or somewhere else.

cheers
JB
£900 all in; incl valves fitting and disposal of old ones to the pikeys

Tried the internet - got frustrated - rang the local garage, used them before and good as anyone
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:48 AM   #30

As I see it, Michelin/GY and Conti have all come up with new tyres/compounds recently, even Pirelli may have updated the P Zero.

Whilst we can debate the subtleties and reviews of all of them, I highly doubt any of us would have the faintest which tyres we were using unless we got out and looked at the tyrewall.

The reality is we put new boots on and go wow, these "new" tyres are sooo much better than the "old worn out ones"
Big surprise.

What I would really like to see is some reviews of tyres that are 1/2 worn.
Now that might be a lot more revealing.

So I've gone for latest generation compound/structure and decent claims about dry/wet performance, stopping ability, noise and treadwear and £200 in my pocket.

Time will tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.