Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Advice needed

940 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  .100249 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and am hoping for advice from some of you petrolheads please.

I have a 5 yr old a5 sport back. Just had a recall sorted by Audi and they carried out the usual health check. Flagged up the following:
O/S/R shock absorber worn/leaking advise both replaced as pair £474
Front shock absorber worn/slightly leaking £471
75%PD rear brake pads 4.5mm plus discs req 10.5mm, min 10mm £469

They also say air con needs servicing which I haven't had done but is it necessary? Pollen filter has been changed.

So what I need to know is how soon I need all this doing. The Audi guy said it would pass mot so safe to drive but I guess I need to look at getting pads and discs done first? They do charge a lot and I will probably try a cheaper garage but unfortunately I am not able to pay out nearly £1500 in one go.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is no set time to replace brake pads or discs. It depends on how much you drive in a year, where you drive (high traffic stop and go or highway) and how much you use the brakes. It varies. If you take your car in for regular (say yearly) maintenance checks, you can monitor how much brakes you are using up and predict when you will need to replace them earlier than later or last minute. Same is true for other car parts that are subject to wear and tear.

You did not mention anything about the mileage of your car so it will be hard to tell whether your car is due for new shocks or not. But, if they are leaking and worn, it is time to replace them. But, you are right, your priority are the brakes because they make the car stop.

I am not from the UK, so I do not know what Audi UK recommends in terms of when to change out serviceable items but, in general, here is what we in North America generally follow. Your region may be slightly different:

Regular service item:
Motor Oil: One a year or 10,000 miles (some do it every 5,000 miles)
DSG Stronic Tranny Oil: Change after 4 or 5 years or at 35,000 miles and after 40,000 miles thereafter.
Spark Plugs: Change after 6 years or 35,000 miles
V-belts: Though the US guide just says inspect at 75,000 miles, I would just replace it for some peace of mind.
Tire rotation: Every 10,000 miles.

Time sensitive items:
Brake fluid, flush and fill: Every two years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.