Bluetooth Audio via MMI/AMI *Finally Possible* - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 658 Old 13th February 2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bluetooth Audio via MMI/AMI *Finally Possible (on Full MMI 3G Only)*

OK - So I've spoken a bit about trying to get some kind of decent bluetooth audio support on the MMI/AMI system:

A5OC - Streaming Audio Possible...here's how

A5OC - relocate Ipod Cable

However this weekend I finally had the brainwave which made it possible:

YouTube - Audi MMI 3G Bluetooth Audio Solution (via Modified iPod AMI Cable)

This uses the regular iPod AMI Cable and any iPod accessory out there to make any iPod speaker dock system bluetooth capable (lots of them but get a decent one since it will be doing digital to analogue conversion), the trick is to modify the AMI cable so that the MMI/AMI system thinks the 3.5mm Stereo AMI Cable is connected otherwise it will try to talk to the iPod in Apple language.

This is better than using the regular 3.5mm Stereo AMI Cable with a similar bluetooth receiver accessory because it is cleaner and you don't have to worry about providing power or charging batteries in the receiver.

The modified iPod AMI Cable will still work directly with an iPod (albeit as an external audio input only, no AMI control) but a switch could be added to enable the cable to function in both modes - essentially a compatibility switch which would select whether a real iPod is connected (fluent in Apple language required for AMI control) or a dummy iPod is connected (e.g. bluetooth receiver, not fluent in Apple language).

I just wanted to put this out there to see what people think

Note: The ugly thing connected to the iPod in the video is just a bluetooth transmitter since the iPod Classic doesn't have builtin bluetooth, it wouldn't be required on any other bluetooth capable device (e.g. iPod Touch, iPhone or even non-Apple device).

Best Regards,
Warren

MY10/11 Audi S5 Cabriolet (Phantom Black, Magma Red/Black Interior, Stainless Steel Mesh Inlays)
Full Audi Drive Select, Convenience Package, Technology Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Key, Garage Homelink, Leather Armrests, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Adaptive Headlights, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Advanced Parking Assist, Side Assist, TPMS, AMI, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, DAB Radio, TV Reception, CD Changer with DVD Player

Last edited by w.ashcroft; 19th February 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 658 Old 13th February 2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

On another note, whilst researching this I found that there are pins on the glovebox AMI connector for FBAS (video) although they are not used on the iPod AMI cable it would be easy for Audi to support video via AMI with a software update and new AMI cables.

Best Regards,
Warren

MY10/11 Audi S5 Cabriolet (Phantom Black, Magma Red/Black Interior, Stainless Steel Mesh Inlays)
Full Audi Drive Select, Convenience Package, Technology Package, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Key, Garage Homelink, Leather Armrests, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Adaptive Headlights, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Advanced Parking Assist, Side Assist, TPMS, AMI, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, DAB Radio, TV Reception, CD Changer with DVD Player
post #3 of 658 Old 13th February 2011, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's fantastic, but how did you modify the cable? Don't leave us hanging!

2011 S5 Prestige Phantom Black Pearl Silver interior Sports Rear Differential Carbon fiber inlays

post #4 of 658 Old 13th February 2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevik View Post
I think it's fantastic, but how did you modify the cable? Don't leave us hanging!
Two of the pins connect an inline resistor, this resistor needs to be changed from 18.7KΩ (iPod) to 1KΩ (3.5mm stereo) since the resistance indicates which type of cable is connected also there is an "iPod Detect" wire on pin 16 which needs to be disconnected.

That's it, everything else remains the same; the hardest part was getting into the plastic assembly.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #5 of 658 Old 13th February 2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.ashcroft View Post
Two of the pins connect an inline resistor, this resistor needs to be changed from 18.7KΩ (iPod) to 1KΩ (3.5mm stereo) since the resistance indicates which type of cable is connected also there is an "iPod Detect" wire on pin 16 which needs to be disconnected.

That's it, everything else remains the same; the hardest part was getting into the plastic assembly.
Thanks! It'd be greatly appreciated if you could provide pictures of the modified cable for those of us who'd like to try this out. And what kind of bluetooth receiver did you plug into your Audi?

2011 S5 Prestige Phantom Black Pearl Silver interior Sports Rear Differential Carbon fiber inlays
post #6 of 658 Old 14th February 2011, 08:18 AM

This is pretty awesome. I would love to give this a go myself :-)
post #7 of 658 Old 14th February 2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
This is pretty awesome. I would love to give this a go myself :-)
Give it a go - so long as you are careful the mods on the cable are completely reversible.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #8 of 658 Old 14th February 2011, 07:56 PM

W.ashcroft,

What you did is exactly what I was looking for. I like to use my iphone to call people and listen to my music without having my iphone in the glove box. In saying so, though...I'm not very electronic savvy. So...can you do myself and many like me a favor and write a "How To"?

For example...

Before starting, purchase Blah blah blah (item to purchase link(s)). Have blah blah blah tools ready.

Step 1: Start by doing blah blah blah.

Step 2: Do blah blah blah.

Step 3: So on...

Pictures would be nice if you can.

I ready the above links you provided and watched the video. So, I know I need to purchase a BlueTooth adapter to fit into my AMI cable in the glovebox, but I got lost when you were talking about having the BT adapter being able to power itself via the AMI cable and changing the ohm. Thanks in advance.

Zippy

2010 S5 6MT / Ice Silver Metallic / Tuscan Brown / 3G MMI / B & O
post #9 of 658 Old 15th February 2011, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

OK - I will take some pictures and put together some step-by-step instructions for modifying the iPod AMI cable; give me a day or so.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #10 of 658 Old 15th February 2011, 11:47 AM

Thats very good of you man. I appreciate that writing a guide for something like this isn't the easiest thing to do. It is a very cool hack though
post #11 of 658 Old 15th February 2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.ashcroft View Post
OK - I will take some pictures and put together some step-by-step instructions for modifying the iPod AMI cable; give me a day or so.

W.ashcroft,

Thanks! People like you make forums like this worthwhile.

Zippy

post #12 of 658 Old 16th February 2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

As requested, here is a short guide to modifying the iPod AMI Cable:
(click pictures for larger versions)

1) The hardest part is opening up the AMI connector, I found that twisting a nylon bojo/prying tool at the side of the connector released at least one retaining clip allowing you to work your way around to carefully release the others.

2) Once the cap is fully unclipped, the plastic body simply slides off.

3) Now you can open up the connector, the two pieces of metal casing easily separate to reveal the wiring.

4) On the left you can see the "detection" resistor loop (resistor contained within the black tubing), along with power supply wires, iPod/USB data wires in the middle and audio wires on the right.

5) Disconnect all six iPod/USB data wires in the middle by either cutting them or removing them from the connector - to remove them from the connector you will need to use something like a needle to press on the pins to release them; either way ensure they are disconnected and are safely insulated from one another to prevent iPod damage.

It is necessary to disconnect these wires so that the MMI/AMI system isn't confused by having an iPod (or accessory) connected but detection resistor telling it otherwise and vice versa to prevent the iPod from getting confused.

6) Finally the resistor loop needs some attention, this resistor needs to be changed from 18.7KΩ (iPod) to 1KΩ (3.5mm stereo) since the resistance indicates to the MMI/AMI system which type of cable is connected - simply cut out the existing resistor and connect in the new resistor (e.g. solder it in), or you could remove the loop pins from the connector and connect the new resistor directly to the pins and reinsert pins.

7) That's it! Tuck all the wires back into the metal casing and reverse the cable disassembly to put/clip everything back together.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #13 of 658 Old 16th February 2011, 06:15 PM

Why can't you be in the Tri-State Area, I'd pay a decent amount of money for this upgrade. Good luck to anyone attempting this I'm too much of a wimp to attempt it. Cheers on the write up!

-Mike
2011 Brilliant Black A5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 658 Old 16th February 2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCeDmAn View Post
Why can't you be in the Tri-State Area, I'd pay a decent amount of money for this upgrade. Good luck to anyone attempting this I'm too much of a wimp to attempt it. Cheers on the write up!
If anybody would like to send me their iPod AMI cable or pay for a new one I would be happy to modify it for them and send back

Best Regards,
Warren

Last edited by w.ashcroft; 16th February 2011 at 06:21 PM.
post #15 of 658 Old 16th February 2011, 09:37 PM

Excellent post w.ashcroft. I can see you being inundated after an offer like that. I'm off to watch the video!!
post #16 of 658 Old 16th February 2011, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm gonna try this myself. Last question, what brand bluetooth receiver did you end up using? I was trying to make it out in the youtube video, but it was too blurry.

post #17 of 658 Old 17th February 2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm gonna try this myself. Last question, what brand bluetooth receiver did you end up using?
In the video it was the QED uPlay Bluetooth Receiver but I have also tested with a Sprint Anycom FIPO.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #18 of 658 Old 17th February 2011, 07:55 AM

Thx for the guide :-) I've got a spare ipod cable to give this a go. Will pickup the extra stuff I need next time i'm in maplin
post #19 of 658 Old 18th February 2011, 02:59 PM

W.ashcroft,

A huge thanks!

I just have couple of questions.

1. What happened from your second to last picture to the last picture? All the wires that you pulled out, what did you do? I don't see it in the last picture. Also, the resistor that is sitting by itself in second to the last picture, you said you have to solder that it, but I don't see that in the last picture either. A bit confused.

2. Once I purchase the BlueTooth transmitter/radio and hook it up to the "modded" AMI cable, it will now power the BT transmitter as well?

3. Can you give us the link where you purchased the BT transmitter? Thank you.

Z.

post #20 of 658 Old 18th February 2011, 03:23 PM

Nice video. Especially the part where you hold the camcorder and try to plug into the BT receiver with the cable, hehe.

If I had my Audi, I'd pay you a pretty penny for this MOD.

Awesome.
post #21 of 658 Old 19th February 2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w69FeWay View Post
Nice video. Especially the part where you hold the camcorder and try to plug into the BT receiver with the cable, hehe.
Ah, you noticed that?

Best Regards,
Warren

post #22 of 658 Old 19th February 2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
1. What happened from your second to last picture to the last picture? All the wires that you pulled out, what did you do? I don't see it in the last picture. Also, the resistor that is sitting by itself in second to the last picture, you said you have to solder that it, but I don't see that in the last picture either. A bit confused.
If you take another look at the last picture you will see they are all tucked underneath the "kept" wires, wrapped in white insulation tape.

The resistor picture is meant to show that you're supposed to insert the new resistor where the existing resistor is in the loop. Since I wrote these instructions after I had already modified my cable I didn't want to unsolder everything just to show that process - in other words all my pictures show a cable with the new resistor already in place. Please let me know if you would like more help with this, but it really is as simple as cutting the original resistor out of the loop and inserting the new one back in.

Quote:
2. Once I purchase the BlueTooth transmitter/radio and hook it up to the "modded" AMI cable, it will now power the BT transmitter as well?
That's right, the goal of this was to provide power and audio on a single cable - since there are bluetooth audio receivers out there which would work with the regular 3.5mm stereo AMI cable they wouldn't be powered and therefore require new batteries/recharging every 8 hours.

Quote:
3. Can you give us the link where you purchased the BT transmitter? Thank you.
I am now using the Sprint Anycom FIPO with my modified cable, I picked mine up from eBay, here's one.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #23 of 658 Old 19th February 2011, 06:27 PM

thanks Warren!
just a quick not to those without navigation but with the premium plus package....
appers the jury is still out on if this will work.
I purchased a new cable and did the mod along with the sprint FIPO bluetooth adapter.
Seems like on non MMI systems it detects the aux input but it simultaneously stops the power supply to the bluetooth adapter.

So....

Warren is looking for a fix.
If he can't find one, i have this all ready for someone with navigation.
I'll sell at my cost ($35 for the cable and $28 for the sprint fipo---$63 plus $5 shipping). no charge for the resistor or the work!

first to PM me

regards
eric
post #24 of 658 Old 19th February 2011, 06:28 PM

thanks Warren!
just a quick note to those without navigation but with the premium plus package....
appears the jury is still out on if this will work.
I purchased a new cable and did the mod along with the sprint FIPO bluetooth adapter.
Seems like on non MMI systems it detects the aux input but it simultaneously stops the power supply to the bluetooth adapter.

So....

Warren is looking for a fix.
If he can't find one, i have this all ready for someone with navigation.
I'll sell at my cost ($35 for the cable and $25 for the sprint fipo---$60 plus $5 shipping). no charge for the resistor or the work!

first to PM me gets it!

regards
eric

Last edited by ewarren423; 20th February 2011 at 04:07 AM.
post #25 of 658 Old 19th February 2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

I have been studying this for the last couple of hours, unfortunately it does seem that this will only work on cars with MMI 3G (navigation); cars with/without it use completely different systems for AMI and the latter behaves in a way which shuts off power if it thinks it isn't required by the connected device.

Without having a non MMI 3G car to experiment on I can't investigate further

Best Regards,
Warren

Last edited by w.ashcroft; 19th February 2011 at 08:10 PM.
post #26 of 658 Old 20th February 2011, 11:34 AM

W.ashcroft,

Cheers! I didn't see the white tape because it was blending in with the table top color. My bad!

As far as resistor goes, I'm guessing I can go to any electronic store and purchase a 1Kohm resistor?

Thanks again.

Z.

post #27 of 658 Old 20th February 2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Cheers! I didn't see the white tape because it was blending in with the table top color. My bad!

As far as resistor goes, I'm guessing I can go to any electronic store and purchase a 1Kohm resistor?
No worries. That's right, you'll probably get a pack of 10 for about $1.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #28 of 658 Old 20th February 2011, 06:56 PM

I successfully modified my Audi MMI cable this weekend. It was pretty easy except for getting the connector open. Since I didn't have the right tools, I used the side of a razor blade to release the first latch. I ended up scratching up the plastic connector a bit (and broke one of the plastic releases) but it's none the worse for wear.

Now I'm just waiting for my Bluetooth receiver. I ordered the Sprint Anycom FIPO off of Ebay.

Thanks w.ashcroft.

post #29 of 658 Old 21st February 2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I successfully modified my Audi MMI cable this weekend. It was pretty easy except for getting the connector open. Since I didn't have the right tools, I used the side of a razor blade to release the first latch. I ended up scratching up the plastic connector a bit (and broke one of the plastic releases) but it's none the worse for wear.

Now I'm just waiting for my Bluetooth receiver. I ordered the Sprint Anycom FIPO off of Ebay.

Thanks w.ashcroft.
Let us know how you get on

Note: You can test your cable works already, just plug it into an iPod/iPhone - you should be able to play music on the iPod/iPhone, have it come through the car stereo whilst the iPod/iPhone is being charged.

Best Regards,
Warren

post #30 of 658 Old 21st February 2011, 12:34 PM

so this will not work on 09 S5 with 2G MMI? I have navigation and all, but don't have the latest 3G MMI.

Thanks

2010 Audi R8 v10 <~~ Current

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode