Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Bluetooth Audio via MMI/AMI *Finally Possible*

630K views 658 replies 218 participants last post by  yamxs1 
#1 · (Edited)
Bluetooth Audio via MMI/AMI *Finally Possible (on Full MMI 3G Only)*

OK - So I've spoken a bit about trying to get some kind of decent bluetooth audio support on the MMI/AMI system:

A5OC - Streaming Audio Possible...here's how

A5OC - relocate Ipod Cable

However this weekend I finally had the brainwave which made it possible:

YouTube - Audi MMI 3G Bluetooth Audio Solution (via Modified iPod AMI Cable)

This uses the regular iPod AMI Cable and any iPod accessory out there to make any iPod speaker dock system bluetooth capable (lots of them but get a decent one since it will be doing digital to analogue conversion), the trick is to modify the AMI cable so that the MMI/AMI system thinks the 3.5mm Stereo AMI Cable is connected otherwise it will try to talk to the iPod in Apple language.

This is better than using the regular 3.5mm Stereo AMI Cable with a similar bluetooth receiver accessory because it is cleaner and you don't have to worry about providing power or charging batteries in the receiver.

The modified iPod AMI Cable will still work directly with an iPod (albeit as an external audio input only, no AMI control) but a switch could be added to enable the cable to function in both modes - essentially a compatibility switch which would select whether a real iPod is connected (fluent in Apple language required for AMI control) or a dummy iPod is connected (e.g. bluetooth receiver, not fluent in Apple language).

I just wanted to put this out there to see what people think :)

Note: The ugly thing connected to the iPod in the video is just a bluetooth transmitter since the iPod Classic doesn't have builtin bluetooth, it wouldn't be required on any other bluetooth capable device (e.g. iPod Touch, iPhone or even non-Apple device).

See less See more
#2 ·
On another note, whilst researching this I found that there are pins on the glovebox AMI connector for FBAS (video) although they are not used on the iPod AMI cable it would be easy for Audi to support video via AMI with a software update and new AMI cables.

#4 ·
Two of the pins connect an inline resistor, this resistor needs to be changed from 18.7KΩ (iPod) to 1KΩ (3.5mm stereo) since the resistance indicates which type of cable is connected also there is an "iPod Detect" wire on pin 16 which needs to be disconnected.

That's it, everything else remains the same; the hardest part was getting into the plastic assembly.

#7 ·
Give it a go - so long as you are careful the mods on the cable are completely reversible.

#8 ·
W.ashcroft,

What you did is exactly what I was looking for. I like to use my iphone to call people and listen to my music without having my iphone in the glove box. In saying so, though...I'm not very electronic savvy. So...can you do myself and many like me a favor and write a "How To"?

For example...

Before starting, purchase Blah blah blah (item to purchase link(s)). Have blah blah blah tools ready.

Step 1: Start by doing blah blah blah.

Step 2: Do blah blah blah.

Step 3: So on...

Pictures would be nice if you can.

I ready the above links you provided and watched the video. So, I know I need to purchase a BlueTooth adapter to fit into my AMI cable in the glovebox, but I got lost when you were talking about having the BT adapter being able to power itself via the AMI cable and changing the ohm. Thanks in advance.

Zippy

#9 ·
OK - I will take some pictures and put together some step-by-step instructions for modifying the iPod AMI cable; give me a day or so.

#12 ·
As requested, here is a short guide to modifying the iPod AMI Cable:
(click pictures for larger versions)

1) The hardest part is opening up the AMI connector, I found that twisting a nylon bojo/prying tool at the side of the connector released at least one retaining clip allowing you to work your way around to carefully release the others.

2) Once the cap is fully unclipped, the plastic body simply slides off.

3) Now you can open up the connector, the two pieces of metal casing easily separate to reveal the wiring.

4) On the left you can see the "detection" resistor loop (resistor contained within the black tubing), along with power supply wires, iPod/USB data wires in the middle and audio wires on the right.

5) Disconnect all six iPod/USB data wires in the middle by either cutting them or removing them from the connector - to remove them from the connector you will need to use something like a needle to press on the pins to release them; either way ensure they are disconnected and are safely insulated from one another to prevent iPod damage.

It is necessary to disconnect these wires so that the MMI/AMI system isn't confused by having an iPod (or accessory) connected but detection resistor telling it otherwise and vice versa to prevent the iPod from getting confused.

6) Finally the resistor loop needs some attention, this resistor needs to be changed from 18.7KΩ (iPod) to 1KΩ (3.5mm stereo) since the resistance indicates to the MMI/AMI system which type of cable is connected - simply cut out the existing resistor and connect in the new resistor (e.g. solder it in), or you could remove the loop pins from the connector and connect the new resistor directly to the pins and reinsert pins.

7) That's it! Tuck all the wires back into the metal casing and reverse the cable disassembly to put/clip everything back together.

#598 ·
Since OP seems to be inactive for >2 years I've rehosted the pictures. All copyright to OP :cheers:

Forgive me if the order is wrong.

As requested, here is a short guide to modifying the iPod AMI Cable:
(click pictures for larger versions)

1) The hardest part is opening up the AMI connector, I found that twisting a nylon bojo/prying tool at the side of the connector released at least one retaining clip allowing you to work your way around to carefully release the others.

2) Once the cap is fully unclipped, the plastic body simply slides off.

3) Now you can open up the connector, the two pieces of metal casing easily separate to reveal the wiring.

4) On the left you can see the "detection" resistor loop (resistor contained within the black tubing), along with power supply wires, iPod/USB data wires in the middle and audio wires on the right.

5) Disconnect all six iPod/USB data wires in the middle by either cutting them or removing them from the connector - to remove them from the connector you will need to use something like a needle to press on the pins to release them; either way ensure they are disconnected and are safely insulated from one another to prevent iPod damage.

It is necessary to disconnect these wires so that the MMI/AMI system isn't confused by having an iPod (or accessory) connected but detection resistor telling it otherwise and vice versa to prevent the iPod from getting confused.

6) Finally the resistor loop needs some attention, this resistor needs to be changed from 18.7KΩ (iPod) to 1KΩ (3.5mm stereo) since the resistance indicates to the MMI/AMI system which type of cable is connected - simply cut out the existing resistor and connect in the new resistor (e.g. solder it in), or you could remove the loop pins from the connector and connect the new resistor directly to the pins and reinsert pins.

7) That's it! Tuck all the wires back into the metal casing and reverse the cable disassembly to put/clip everything back together.

#14 · (Edited)
If anybody would like to send me their iPod AMI cable or pay for a new one I would be happy to modify it for them and send back :)

#15 ·
Excellent post w.ashcroft. I can see you being inundated after an offer like that. I'm off to watch the video!!

#16 ·
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm gonna try this myself. Last question, what brand bluetooth receiver did you end up using? I was trying to make it out in the youtube video, but it was too blurry.

#17 ·
I'm gonna try this myself. Last question, what brand bluetooth receiver did you end up using?
In the video it was the QED uPlay Bluetooth Receiver but I have also tested with a Sprint Anycom FIPO.

#19 ·
W.ashcroft,

A huge thanks!

I just have couple of questions.

1. What happened from your second to last picture to the last picture? All the wires that you pulled out, what did you do? I don't see it in the last picture. Also, the resistor that is sitting by itself in second to the last picture, you said you have to solder that it, but I don't see that in the last picture either. A bit confused.

2. Once I purchase the BlueTooth transmitter/radio and hook it up to the "modded" AMI cable, it will now power the BT transmitter as well?

3. Can you give us the link where you purchased the BT transmitter? Thank you.

Z.

#22 ·
1. What happened from your second to last picture to the last picture? All the wires that you pulled out, what did you do? I don't see it in the last picture. Also, the resistor that is sitting by itself in second to the last picture, you said you have to solder that it, but I don't see that in the last picture either. A bit confused.
If you take another look at the last picture you will see they are all tucked underneath the "kept" wires, wrapped in white insulation tape.

The resistor picture is meant to show that you're supposed to insert the new resistor where the existing resistor is in the loop. Since I wrote these instructions after I had already modified my cable I didn't want to unsolder everything just to show that process - in other words all my pictures show a cable with the new resistor already in place. Please let me know if you would like more help with this, but it really is as simple as cutting the original resistor out of the loop and inserting the new one back in.

2. Once I purchase the BlueTooth transmitter/radio and hook it up to the "modded" AMI cable, it will now power the BT transmitter as well?
That's right, the goal of this was to provide power and audio on a single cable - since there are bluetooth audio receivers out there which would work with the regular 3.5mm stereo AMI cable they wouldn't be powered and therefore require new batteries/recharging every 8 hours.

3. Can you give us the link where you purchased the BT transmitter? Thank you.
I am now using the Sprint Anycom FIPO with my modified cable, I picked mine up from eBay, here's one.

#21 ·
Nice video. Especially the part where you hold the camcorder and try to plug into the BT receiver with the cable, hehe.
Ah, you noticed that? :2thumbsup:

#23 ·
thanks Warren!
just a quick not to those without navigation but with the premium plus package....
appers the jury is still out on if this will work.
I purchased a new cable and did the mod along with the sprint FIPO bluetooth adapter.
Seems like on non MMI systems it detects the aux input but it simultaneously stops the power supply to the bluetooth adapter.

So....

Warren is looking for a fix.
If he can't find one, i have this all ready for someone with navigation.
I'll sell at my cost ($35 for the cable and $28 for the sprint fipo---$63 plus $5 shipping). no charge for the resistor or the work!

first to PM me

regards
eric

#24 · (Edited)
thanks Warren!
just a quick note to those without navigation but with the premium plus package....
appears the jury is still out on if this will work.
I purchased a new cable and did the mod along with the sprint FIPO bluetooth adapter.
Seems like on non MMI systems it detects the aux input but it simultaneously stops the power supply to the bluetooth adapter.

So....

Warren is looking for a fix.
If he can't find one, i have this all ready for someone with navigation.
I'll sell at my cost ($35 for the cable and $25 for the sprint fipo---$60 plus $5 shipping). no charge for the resistor or the work!

first to PM me gets it!

regards
eric

#25 · (Edited)
I have been studying this for the last couple of hours, unfortunately it does seem that this will only work on cars with MMI 3G (navigation); cars with/without it use completely different systems for AMI and the latter behaves in a way which shuts off power if it thinks it isn't required by the connected device.

Without having a non MMI 3G car to experiment on I can't investigate further :(

#412 · (Edited)
A8 2008

I have the same issue on a 2008 A8L (with navigation). Cable bring power before modification. After modifying it, sound works but power does not. This is such a pain....
As a temporary solution I put a a usb back up battery in the glovebox to power the bluetooth receiver, but it less "smooth" than having the power from the ami.
Anybody knows if there is a resistor (other than the 18.7KΩ or 1KΩ) that get sound AND bring power to the interface?
Thanks.

#26 ·
W.ashcroft,

Cheers! I didn't see the white tape because it was blending in with the table top color. My bad! :)

As far as resistor goes, I'm guessing I can go to any electronic store and purchase a 1Kohm resistor?

Thanks again.

Z.

#27 ·
Cheers! I didn't see the white tape because it was blending in with the table top color. My bad! :)

As far as resistor goes, I'm guessing I can go to any electronic store and purchase a 1Kohm resistor?
No worries. That's right, you'll probably get a pack of 10 for about $1.

#28 ·
I successfully modified my Audi MMI cable this weekend. It was pretty easy except for getting the connector open. Since I didn't have the right tools, I used the side of a razor blade to release the first latch. I ended up scratching up the plastic connector a bit (and broke one of the plastic releases) but it's none the worse for wear.

Now I'm just waiting for my Bluetooth receiver. I ordered the Sprint Anycom FIPO off of Ebay.

Thanks w.ashcroft.

#29 ·
Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Note: You can test your cable works already, just plug it into an iPod/iPhone - you should be able to play music on the iPod/iPhone, have it come through the car stereo whilst the iPod/iPhone is being charged.

#31 ·
so this will not work on 09 S5 with 2G MMI? I have navigation and all, but don't have the latest 3G MMI.
I may have this wrong but:

I think this depends on the MMI/AMI components used, if your AMI is the style in my video (just a connector on the glovebox wall), it connects directly to the "control unit 1 for information electronics" (the SD card reader unit in the dash) and will work with this mod.

However, if your AMI is this style, it connects directly to the radio and won't work with this mod:

#32 ·
well I definetelly have AMI and I believe it's like yours... the only thing i have a 6 disc changer instead of the SD card player.

I haev nav with the latest software as well and bluetooth that comes with the car. So in all, iphone or ipod when connected with the cable plays fine, and i can make calls with bluetooth and all.

I have an extra cable so i can probalby do the mod... i'll just have to buy that unit. Was hoping to make sure it'll actually work before i purcahse it, but 25 bucks isn't going to be the end of the world if it doesn't work I guess.

#33 ·
well I definetelly have AMI and I believe it's like yours... the only thing i have a 6 disc changer instead of the SD card player.
I must admit I'm not too clued up on all the different AMI/MMI variants - where is your CD changer, do you not have an SD card reader under the DVD reader on the dashboard? My AMI connects to the SD card reader unit (this handles all multimedia inputs for the MMI), my CD changer is in the glovebox.

#34 ·
My 6 disk changer is in the dash... Mine looks like this one i found on the web. you load the disks in the dash... I don't have the DVD player as i don't think that was the option for 09 model. The Navigation DVD is in the trunk.

The AMI is in the glovebox and looks like yours pretty much. The s5 i have came with all the options possible for that year...

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
My 6 disk changer is in the dash... Mine looks like this one i found on the web. you load the disks in the dash... I don't have the DVD player as i don't think that was the option for 09 model. The Navigation DVD is in the trunk.
I see, like I said I'm not sure on all variants but I am surprised you don't have SD card slots.

Do let us know how you get on, it would be a shame if this only works on MMI 3G HDD.

"MMI Radio Plus" (ewarren423) - Doesn't Work
"MMI Navigation" (BoostinFD) - Unknown
"MMI Navigation Plus" (w.ashcroft) - Works

#36 ·
You know i just re-read your post... mine actually looks like that picture you posted... in your video it was dark at the begining so couldn't see it that well.

I ordered the sprint unit anyway... i'll modify the cable and i'll see next week when i get the unit. IF the power is all it cuts off, maybe i could modify it to get the power from somewhere else since the unit will be in the glovebox permanently anyway.

#37 · (Edited)
No problem, here is a small picture of what mine looks like (AMI cable connector on the right):

If you need help locating power I can pull some wiring diagrams for you, if you have a multimeter I have some pins on the AMI connector which you could check for power and solve this for all.

EDIT: Something a little more adventurous if all else fails, you could open up the AMI unit, find an ignition switched live and then hardwire those pins on the female connector so you always have power on them; this would be cleaner than trying to find power elsewhere.

#40 ·
looks like us non MMI people are left in the cold!

still have my modded cable and bluetooth adapter (sprint fipo).
anyone that is interested in this mod PM me...i'll give you a good deal!

eric

#43 ·
Good luck! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.