Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

STOLEN - Black S5 Sportback from Coventry

6K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Kelvm77 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2012 black Audi S5 Sportback stolen from Binley in Coventry at 10:45pm on Monday night. It has the red and black interior, rear tints and a small bit of kerbing on the drivers side rear wheel. Red and black Maxi Cosi car seat in the rear. I'd appreciate if anyone can please share to their Facebook or any car groups/forums they are members of. I cannot post photos at the moment as my post count is too low.

The car is not keyless so I am confused how they got it away. I have poor CCTV footage from a neighbour which shows three guys walk up, put something on my roof and it took them about 7 minutes to get in and then another 4 minutes to drive the car away. Is anyone aware how they started the engine? I wasn't worried about this happening as my car is not keyless!

#2 ·
Keyless is irrelevant, its mostly done via the ODB port I'm afraid. Its becomming quite common and there are exploits availible on most german manufacturers cars from what I understand.

Sorry to hear of your loss, I can only imagine how angry and violated Id feel in your position. Part of me hopes you the best in getting the car back, the other hopes you dont so you dont have to deal with knowing someone else has been in it and done things you dont know about.

I'd also suggest you post your registration while you lack photos, nobody is going to notice a red and black interior or a kerbed wheel if they see the motor driving around.

Best of luck

#7 ·
no alarm went off but my 'see me home lights' came on like the car was just unlocked, not broken in to.
Did this happen at the end of the 7 minutes? If so, I would guess the box was some sort of key impersonator. No idea if it is technically feasible (depends on the number of combinations and how the locking system works) but if nothing broken/no evidence of forced entry, I can't think how else it has been taken.

Hope you are properly insured and that if you don't want it back after it's been nicked, they write it off...

#6 ·
Bastards sorry mate terrible to hear. Good luck!!!

#8 ·
Bastards! Hope you get your car back ok & police catch them, be good to find out how they are getting in, so we can take preventative steps to stop this, if it is that common Audi should fix it via Update or something

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Hi guys

About 4 weeks ago I had the same thing 4 masked youths pulled up to my house in a stolen BMW 5 series and my CCTV footage showed 3 youths get out with ballaclavas on and try to pop the drivers side window but they got spooked by a taxi driver pulling round to drop a neighbour off so I was lucky he came and woke me up I called the police and they watched the footage.
They explained to me that this device they are using plugs into your ODB port and they can deactivate the alarm and program there own key takes around 60 seconds and they have your pride and joy.
These people are the scum of the earth.

I have now purchased a ODB port lock out system from a German company and it's brill also a crook lock and I now lock my keys away in my safe.

I am very sorry about your car going mate I was very lucky.

#12 ·
Can Audi help?

I'm wondering if Audi can help locate the car. Did the 2012 have the Wi-Fi hotspot option? Maybe Audi can activate it and then track the signal via the car's unique WWN number. Audi Connect also locates attractions and gas stations around you so it must know where you are in the car. This is the Audi Connect website for the US. I'm sure there is one for the UK.

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/intelligence/audi-connect

Good luck.

#13 ·
Curley,

Really sorry to hear that fella ... I know exactly what you are going through, had my Phantom black S5 with magma trim also nicked off my drive about 9 months after I bought it .... car was recovered in Leicestershire and I INSISTED it go to an Audi garage for repairs, it went to Nottingham Audi who did a first class job. Not much damage really to the exterior but the interior was completely replaced upon my insistence as there was a lot of foot marks / scuffs and scratches all over the place.

Mine was also nicked without keys, they gain entry, and as others have stated, re-programme another fob via the OBD port ... they are absolute fu**ing scum and I cannot say on here what I really think.
When I got it back, went out and bought a stoplok pro (had a disclok in garage but was too lazy to put it on .... hindsight, would now have deffo used it) as anything that will cause noise or take too much time to get around, will hopefully deter the opportunist ....

On my new S5 have had a Ghost immobiliser fitted, really good, (virtually) undetectable and not able to be bypassed and very cost effective too (see my other posts). All the best chap and hope it works out ok for you ... T

#14 ·
This awful experience takes me back many years to when I had a company Rover Vitesse (the small one not the V8) and one evening it was nicked from outside my place. That evening I was out with mates and I was volunteered to drive, so I drove us all home and then went to bed. Sunday morning at 10am I went to my car and found only some broken glass (it was easier in those days) and so I called the local Police. Well, they were very "off" with me until I protested my innocence and told them that 10 people would vouch for where I was the previous evening, cos they had already found the car buried into a tree!!!!!! I even had to go and collect it myself with a Range Rover and tow rope, and it seems that the young criminals had nicked it, failed to make a bend on a country road and smashed it into a tree! And then they even nicked the spare wheel and stereo and stuff as they scarpered.........

Of course the poor old car was never the same again. Sob.

#17 ·
I can't imagine what you are going through at the moment but all I can say is, just make sure if you do get insurance repair you specify where you want it repaired if recovered always get something gained go to a good smaller company and ask them for instance RS5 front included so you get something in this whole ordeal, if it ends up it goes missing hold out on the insurance company and never take their first or second offer try to get some third party advice if possible.

Sending all my positivity to you seems crap Know but use it to your advantage get some upgrades

#20 ·
Great suggestion. I'm getting an OBD Portector installed next week. There have been quite a few OBD port car jackings in my area lately and while I have a steering lock but doesn't hurt to have the OBD portector either in case they decide to break the lock too. Belt'n'braces :)

I can't believe the scum that would steal cars, they deserve serious punishment!!!

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the lack of updates about my car. I have been away for two weeks but to be honest, there are no updates.

What hurts most is I'm probably about £5k out of pocket after only owning the car for six weeks. I'd just spent a load at MRC Tuning on mods and maintenance and immediately spent three days over the bank holiday completing a full paint correction detail. The night I took the car home, it was stolen three hours after. I had over £1000 worth of detailing products and accessories in the boot. It's annoying because I'd assume the people that took my car will have no use for any of this. All of which is not covered by my insurance. If only they had taken it a week before :(

I spent day and night for about a week driving searching Coventry and some surrounding areas for the car but no luck.

Police are not interested even though I have photos of the car that followed me earlier in the day and returned later to take the car. I wouldn't have even spoke with a police officer if I hadn't have complained.

I had the exact times they followed me but he said looking at road traffic cameras to get a registration of the car on two main roads two minutes from me would be difficult. However, he went on to say if I could get any CCTV then I can send it in to them. Wow. Essentially the police wanted me to do their job.

I'm keeping my eye on the usual sites for parts but I'd really appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of any for sale adverts of the following:
Magma red sportback interior
Flat bottom S5 steering wheel with red stitching
19" rotor wheels
CTS intake
Black Sportback breaking or panels for sale

To correct my first post, it took 7 minutes in total to take my car. 4 minutes to get in and 3 minutes to drive it away. They were looking around the rear of the car with their phones, maybe scanning for a tracker?
They did not break the glass to get in, I see them unlock the car and the see me home lights come on without setting the alarm off.
Audi customer services said they have never heard of a device that unlocks the car. I asked that as they are now aware of this, what will they do? I was told it will be escalated internally but I won't get any updates on the matter.

My advice for anyone on here and what I will be doing straight away is order CCTV for your house and garage and as soon as I buy a replacement car I will be installing Autowatch ghost, a good steering wheel lock, moving the OBD port and installing a tracker. Hopefully this will slow a potential thief down or put them off taking it at all.. of course on the other hand, they'll probably want to get in the house and take the keys but this is a risk we all face with nice cars.

#24 ·
Shame to say, but if you were being followed around before it was nicked, chances are it was stolen to order and won't be in the country anymore. Some way of protecting the OBD should come as standard now, even if it's just a locked cap covering the port. Though I guess stopping cars being stolen doesn't make the dealer any money...
Sorry for your loss, wouldn't know what to do if mine was pinched.

Reactions: Kelvm77
#25 ·
Feel for you loss... If you didn't want the expense of subscribing to a tracker have you seen those black boxes you put a pay as you go sim in & hide away in the car somewhere? Just txt the number & it replys back with GPS that Google maps finds, for only around £20 was worth a go nice to know I can track it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Terrible. I also guess that u can forget finding your car. My Golf GTI went and was a pro job it was stripped for spares and nicked to order. Better in some ways cos u can make a clean start. Good luck!

#28 · (Edited)
** Update **

My car has been recovered in Liverpool.

I had come to terms with purchasing a Golf R and while running some car checks I ran my plate which came back as 'Not Stolen' under the PNC check. I called the police the day after and was told there was an update a week earlier but there was no information. Why was I not informed?!?! After a lot of digging deeper I managed to get them to tell me the update was from the Merseyside police.

I called Merseyside police and they told me the street where the car was recovered. Google maps showed it was quite near to the docks and there was a small car park in the cul-de-sac. I thought I may have been lucky and the car was parked up and left to be shipped out of the country at a later date so it wouldn't have been driven by idiots and my contents may still be inside.

I searched the Merseyside police twitter as I know forces like to post about recovered cars and other cases but the only post from the date my car was found was about a shooting at a prison. I googled this and found numerous articles stating the shooters fled in a 'Black Audi'. Unfortunately, I eventually found an article stating the Black Audi was found in the same street I was given by the police earlier in the day.

I've been waiting for forensics to finish with the car. The recovery company did not have my details so contacted my insurance however, my insurance also didn't tell me they knew about the car being recovered. I wonder how long would I have waited to be informed about anything if I hadn't have done a car check?

I've been to see the car - my contents are gone, the lower dash and numerous bits of plastics are missing (presumably looking for a tracker), front and rear bumper scuffed, S5 and V6T badges removed and my keys do not work in the ignition. A plus is they don't seem to have washed the car so my paint correction and detail will not have been in vain. I've told the insurance to not wash the car to assess the undamaged panels unless they want a bill for a detail from a detailer of my choice ;)

As my keys did not work, I couldn't see the mileage it had done since it was stolen. I want a full mechanical health check from MRC Tuning either way.

The damage is easily repairable in my opinion but I need to make a decision, my excess is £500 and Equity Red Star via Adrian Flux have said my no claims bonus will be reduced to 2 years! I've ran some quotes and the claim with 2 years no claims increases the quotes by about £600.

My insurance will recover the car early next week to complete their assessment so we'll see what they say.

#29 ·
Don't know whether to glad or sad for you, Curley. On top of everything else, the arsehattery of both plod AND your insurer not bothering to let you know is hard to take. I can't say I'm surprised about the no claim bonus. Like banks, insurance companies exist to extract money from you anyway they can. Even so, a bit rich to ping your no claim before they've established whether the car is a write-off. With a little luck (for certain values of "luck"), the damage will come in under your excess, which will make the no claims issue go away.
I sincerely hope the news improves for you over the next week or so.

#30 ·
Thank you. To be fair, I did ask them what would happen to my no claims if I claimed for the repairs.

It has been a strange one, on one hand, I was happy to hear it was found as I was losing a lot of money taking the total loss cheque but now the repairs and fees start to add up. Recovery and a day storage is a £160 right off the bat. There are a few S5 being sold for parts on eBay so I'm going to see what I can get the required parts for. My insurance should be assessing the car tomorrow.

Another advantage for going through insurance is I may be able to claim for brakes, tyres and I'll get some money for my missing contents.

#32 ·
Curley

Don't know what to say mate hopefully you will get over this and enjoy your pride and joy again don't let these bastards get you down mate like Julian said it's all about money money with these insurance companies now days and for the police we'll do I need to say anymore.

One bit of advice for you pal is get the security upgraded on your car (i.e.) OBD Lock / Crook Lock / Gap insurance / and may be a decent Tracker fitted

Hope it all works out for you mate

Kelvin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.