post #1 of 30 Old 10th February 2017, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to MdVadrenalinjunkie
Turn up the bass ....

Hi all,

Thinking bout doing something about that rather disappointing (would almost use the word crappy) B&O sound in my S5. Really a case of more is NOT better choice by Audi: despite the fact that it comprises 14 speakers and an amp I think it has no volume and lacks in depth in sound.

So was first of all thinking about purchasing the Alpine SPC speaker sets specifically made for Audi (also cause I thought they are reasonably priced) but was informed by a local installation company that it basically only makes sense when you install the X701D head unit as well particularly when you buy the SPC-200au set that includes an Amp. I was not planning on buying the head unit as I already have a Tech High package on my car so that would not make sense to me nor to my wallet (apart from the fact that I am not charmed by the looks of this head unit).
See http://www.config.alpine.co.uk/!/audi/a5

Does anyone have the Alpine speakerset(s) and/or Amp installed without the head unit? Does it make a difference and what do I have to take into consideration doing so (if possible)?

If the story of the installer is however true what do all you experts advice in terms of 'low' cost sound improvements, say max 1000 quid?

Thanks guys, curious what answers will get back here!

Audi S5 Lava Grey 2014
Powdercoated 20 inch, Yellow Calipers, RS5 grille

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10th February 2017, 05:47 AM

To be honest, the B&O is not the best thing about an A5 - I've just been experiencing the A6 (C6) BOSE sound and its night and day difference. I, like yourself, was very disappointed with the B&O offering, the Virtual Bass doesn't really cut it.

For your monies you can probably replace the amp and the majority of the speakers with higher end units, and drop a small bass unit somewhere and it will greatly increase your aurul experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone - A5 3.0Tdi Quattro Brilliant Red,Black Leather,MMI+AMI Upgrade,Electric Seats,B&O,Summer:19" Y-Spokes, Winter:18" 10 Spokes
Scirocco Storm Cosmos Blue, Blue Leather, 1.9 BR Motorsport Engine pack, 15" Zender Monzas, No Stereo, Audi Throttle Body, Schrick 276 Cams
Audi A2 Special 1.4TDi Red Leather, etc.
Audi A6 Allroad, 3.0 TDI Quartz Grey

Ex Karmann Corrado Campaign VR6, 3x Scirocco Storms, 10x Scirocco GL, Scalas etc.
post #3 of 30 Old 10th February 2017, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Garage
Dropping in a pioneer sub instead of the stock B&O one with no extra trickery/amp, just spliced into the stock wiring, made a world of difference. Cost about 80 all in with the dynamat.

For a bigger difference/budget though, I've got no idea :-(

Beep beep.

post #4 of 30 Old 10th February 2017, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Which sub did you go with? Been thinking about doing this for a while now but I haven't even pulled off the rear deck to look at the sub yet.
post #5 of 30 Old 11th February 2017, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Perhaps I shouldn't find it surprising that different persons can have such different perceptions to the B&O system in the A5, and I do note it's not the first time people have complained about the B&O in the B8 series.

Before I did the following I found the bass was lacking, but worse, at medium and high volumes the highs and mids were painful to my ears. I was disappointed until I fiddled with the settings:

I found turning up the ( Gala/whatever the name of the B&O DSP is/surround effect?) as well as turning up the bass and setting the sound to Driver Oriented made a big difference and I can't say I think this system sounds poor. Deep lush bass with plenty of punch and clarity regardless of volume.

Regards
post #6 of 30 Old 11th February 2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reactions guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Dropping in a pioneer sub(
Hi @Eamonn - you have a model/type number for the Sub you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wreckless View Post
Before I did the following I found the bass was lacking, but worse, at medium and high volumes the highs and mids were painful to my ears. I was disappointed until I fiddled with the settings:

I found turning up the ( Gala/whatever the name of the B&O DSP is/surround effect?) as well as turning up the bass and setting the sound to Driver Oriented made a big difference and I can't say I think this system sounds poor. Deep lush bass with plenty of punch and clarity regardless of volume.
Thanks @Mr.wreckless - that is worth a shot and will try!
Mr.wreckless likes this.

Audi S5 Lava Grey 2014

post #7 of 30 Old 11th February 2017, 07:09 AM

Garage
TS-W261D4 is what I used, just popped it in as is really, fiddly to get bolted down though

P.S: I actually accidentally received two when I ordered mine, so I have another for sale.
petejacklin1 and trgringo like this.

Beep beep.

Last edited by Eamonn; 11th February 2017 at 01:43 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 12th February 2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdVadrenalinjunkie View Post
Thanks for the reactions guys!

Hi @Eamonn - you have a model/type number for the Sub you have?

Thanks @Mr.wreckless - that is worth a shot and will try!
Cool, fiddle with the settings and report back your findings!

Regards
post #9 of 30 Old 12th February 2017, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Hi Eamonn, pm'd you about the sub.
post #10 of 30 Old 13th February 2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, hints , tips and even products offered. I will report back once I have done some proper tests performed with the settings: if that is not up to my standards then I will think about first upgrading the B&O subwoofer before even taking more drastic and more expensive measures ... Decided I prefer a stage 1 ECU/DSG remap over an expensive sound-system after all

Audi S5 Lava Grey 2014

post #11 of 30 Old 13th February 2017, 09:44 PM

The Pioneer sounded like a good idea so the sub and dynamat will be here tomorrow - already removed the rear deck and the old sub. Wasn't as bad as I though it would be although I was bit nervous about cracking the speaker grills but, they came out with a little gentle persuasion.
post #12 of 30 Old 14th February 2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucDude View Post
The Pioneer sounded like a good idea so the sub and dynamat will be here tomorrow - already removed the rear deck and the old sub. Wasn't as bad as I though it would be although I was bit nervous about cracking the speaker grills but, they came out with a little gentle persuasion.
Any chance you could tell me how to remove the boot linings to access the parcel shelf from inside the boot/from underneath? I need to know as I'm hoping to mount an air tank there soon.

Regards
post #13 of 30 Old 14th February 2017, 02:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Any chance you could tell me how to remove the boot linings to access the parcel shelf from inside the boot/from underneath? I need to know as I'm hoping to mount an air tank there soon.

Regards
There isn't any lining underneath the parcel shelf?

Beep beep.
post #14 of 30 Old 14th February 2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:

Regards
Do you mean the side panels inside the trunk? Like Eamonn said, there is no lining on the underside of the parcel shelf.

post #15 of 30 Old 14th February 2017, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
TS-W261D4 is what I used, just popped it in as is really, fiddly to get bolted down though

P.S: I actually accidentally received two when I ordered mine, so I have another for sale.
i have this one as well, sounds good with no amp but after a while i wanted more haha, so i bought a amp and put the sub in a sealed box. Much louder and deeper bass now!
post #16 of 30 Old 14th February 2017, 05:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejangcool View Post
i have this one as well, sounds good with no amp but after a while i wanted more haha, so i bought a amp and put the sub in a sealed box. Much louder and deeper bass now!
I kinda want to do this now... Can you send me details of the amp/box you got? I'm struggling to find one.

Beep beep.
post #17 of 30 Old 14th February 2017, 06:58 AM

Thanks to those who answered my question! I was a bit quick to jump the gun and appreciate the sincerity rather than just a raft of hostilities

Indeed there is no liner underneath the parcel shelf, disassembly of the top side might be necessary to get the tank fastened but we'll see. Removal of the side trim might come in handy as well.

Thanks
post #18 of 30 Old 15th February 2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Is there anything like this, but for the sportback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 30 Old 15th February 2017, 04:10 PM

I installed the sub yesterday and, while the bass was improved, it's still not as heavy as I'd like it. There was one really huge improvement though - the freakin' rattle from the rear deck is completely gone. About 95% of all of the rattles in my car just disappeared. The Dynamat probably has more to do with it than the sub though. I can't produce a rattle from the OEM B&O sub with it out of the car. That was worth the effort alone imho. And I still have 30 square feet of Dynamat left since I ordered a box of it on Amazon for $60 and it turned out to be 35 square feet. I can do the rest of the car and still have some left over.

There's only two little rattles left to fix - one from the glove box and one from the driver's side door.

Last edited by DucDude; 15th February 2017 at 04:48 PM.
post #20 of 30 Old 16th February 2017, 11:10 AM

I'm doing mine this weekend, pioneer sub purchased from Eamonn, can't wait to get rid of the rattles
post #21 of 30 Old 17th February 2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Eamonn could you please tell did your Pioneer speaker was straight P&P with genuine B&O sub ?? I know it will require some work fitting but according to B&O amp it will work fine ?
post #22 of 30 Old 17th February 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgringo View Post
Eamonn could you please tell did your Pioneer speaker was straight P&P with genuine B&O sub ?? I know it will require some work fitting but according to B&O amp it will work fine ?
The stock amp has enough power to drive the Pioneer Sub, no problem. Just remember to switch the polarity of the sub when you hook it up. The B&O System was designed with a downward firing sub and you're installing it facing upward. If you hook it up with the same polarity it will be 180 degrees out of phase. It makes a very noticeable difference.
post #23 of 30 Old 17th February 2017, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucDude View Post
The stock amp has enough power to drive the Pioneer Sub, no problem. Just remember to switch the polarity of the sub when you hook it up. The B&O System was designed with a downward firing sub and you're installing it facing upward. If you hook it up with the same polarity it will be 180 degrees out of phase. It makes a very noticeable difference.
Wait what? I didn't reverse mine and it's been plenty nice so far. Are you saying I should swap it around?

Beep beep.
post #24 of 30 Old 18th February 2017, 12:03 AM

You should. It made a big difference in mine.

Just edited to say that you won't damage anything by swapping the polarity - all it does is change the phase from 0 to 180 degrees i.e when the cone moves out and when it moves in relative to the other speakers in your system. If you don't notice a difference, all you have to do is switch it back.

Last edited by DucDude; 18th February 2017 at 12:13 AM.
post #25 of 30 Old 18th February 2017, 09:56 AM

Eek, I have the standard Amp not the B&O Amp, will the standard Amp still run the new Pioneer sub??
post #26 of 30 Old 18th February 2017, 01:55 PM
RR7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
don't suppose you have a pic of this installed? does the sub stick out into the rear space thus causing somewhat of an obstruction? does it now use the empty space for bass instead of its own small enclosure meaning if i have stuff in the back i would lose bass?

the B&O seems to sound nice but seems to lack low bass, at least i think thats what its missing, i'll run my sound test audio files on it in a few days.

2009 3.2 V6 FSI Coupe Sport \\ Quattro \\ Black \\ Auto
\\ Interior Xenon white LED kit
post #27 of 30 Old 18th February 2017, 02:24 PM

Looks like this from the trunk - stick in to the trunk by 4 1/2 inches

I'm in the process of making a nice spacer so that I can mount the sub upside down like the original. There's plenty of space between the rear deck and the and liner once you pull out the the stock B&O sub - maybe about 2-3". This way the sub would only stick in to the trunk about 2" but then I'd have to install a protective screen over the sub to protect it from damage. Not sure it's worth it but I feel like trying just for shits and giggles

post #28 of 30 Old 18th February 2017, 02:44 PM
RR7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
thanks for the pic. that does look pretty meaty. i think i'd also be heading the shits and giggles route with the spacer, or maybe even a shallower sub with a spacer to minimise the sticky-outyness as much as possible.

but i'm guessing the improvement in sound makes it worth the hassle? or are you just fully committed now anyway

2009 3.2 V6 FSI Coupe Sport \\ Quattro \\ Black \\ Auto
\\ Interior Xenon white LED kit
post #29 of 30 Old 18th February 2017, 03:05 PM

I thought about making the spacer to work with the sub facing upwards but top side of the deck isn't flat and there is steep rise at the front. It just makes it really tricky to make a perfect fit. The bottom is, for the most part, flat so it just makes for an easier fit.

I wasn't very impressed with the sound improvement at first but that's because I forgot about the phase difference when mounting the sub in the reverse direction. Once I switched the polarity of the sub it really came alive. Now the bass thumps pretty nicely, although I'm sure an enclosure would improve it immensely. I don't mind the space the sub takes up now but i really don't want a huge enclosure in the trunk. The sound is very nice as is - nice mid-range and highs and now there is plenty of bass for my tastes. So I'm just going to mess with the mounting and see what I can come up with - I'm perfectly happy with the power and sound of the system as it is right now.
post #30 of 30 Old 19th February 2017, 12:52 AM

Nice post buddy

RS5 FRONT BUMPER, GRILL, STAGE ONE REVO, CARBONIO INTAKE SYSTEM, JETEX QUAD RACE PIPE, RS5 SEATS, RS5 FLAT BOTTOM STEERING WHEEL, CARBON INLAYS, 20" RS4 WHEELS, REVO BIG BRAKE KIT, JDM REAR DIFFUSER,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode