LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Garage
Dieselgate: Legal Action

Hi Guys,

As my wife is buying a Q3 I have joined their owners club as I find forums a good source of information.

I see on that forum that there is talk of compensation for the whole diesel gate situation. Here is the link to Martin Lewis Was your car affected by the VW emissions scandal? You could claim £1,000s by joining lawsuit (if it wins)

I am in two minds about this to be honest; part of me thinks it is a d**ky (not sure if swearing is allowed) thing to do and part of me thinks if it has happened elsewhere and it is going to be attempted in the UK also then why not add my name to the list as one more claim won't make a difference.

What are peoples opinion on this?

Cheers Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)

Garage
Up to you mate. I'm very much in favour of VAG having to pay fines for deliberately cheating on EU emission regulations, but whether this translates to compensation for individual customers...? Bit tricky.

I highly doubt we buy cars looking at the emissions figures, but I feel strongly about companies being responsible and producing cars that, at the very least, comply with the latest EU regulations. In terms of its direct impact, I think the most tangible effect of this is on the potential resale, but whether this does indeed happen is debatable.

So really...what are you claiming compensation for...? That would be my question. What is the financial loss to you and your partner?
kgthomas likes this.

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #3 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

You say your wife "is buying a Q3," meaning you don't own it yet. So how has VAG caused you damage? I was under the impression (could be wrong) that only owners who bought an effected vehicle BEFORE the issue was made public could claim damages, due to lower than advertised fuel mileage and (presumably) lower resale value of the vehicle.
kgthomas likes this.

-ChipB

'09 S5: 6 sp, Phantom Black/Silver with Vavona wood inlays, tech pkg, Nav, B&O sound, STaSIS/Ohlins SL Suspension package with adjustable coilovers

post #4 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)

Hi Mr B........I believe Mr Thomas already owns a diesel flavour a5 hence his question.

And it is up to each individual what they do.
As the euro test is totally meaningless and already permits over inflation of tyres, removal of alternators and a miriad of other allowables which remove the results further from reality I couldn't get excited by a software cheat. Especially as a load of other manufacturers real world nox figures are up to 40 times more than their official tests.

in UK we may allow co2 figures to sway our choice of car because of the tax implications but anyone seriously concerned about the environment won't be buying a diesel, or anything made in china, or india or the far east in general due to the uncontrolled pollution at source and the increased transportation emissions due to the distances involved.

On a personal level I would rather sue the bastards for lying about fuel economy, both in the EU tests and on the dis.......my dogmover is a claimed 67 mpg, shows 53, actually 48 fill-up to fill up and even that isn't right because the odometer over-reads by 5%.........so more like 46mpg.

Its true if the money is on offer why not take it because others will, especially the ambulance chasing parasites who will be handling the class action (apologies to any legal bods here...I don't apply that term to your entire profession)

But we will all end up paying for it in the end, just like we all pay more for our insurance to cover the cost of accident express et Al charging £300 a day for your 3 series hire car when your A5 is in the repair shop for 2 weeks having the bumper resprayed.

And the fines and the ensuing owner compensation is because they got caught cheating on nox emissions. ....it's nothing to do with fuel economy.......unfortunately. ....
kgthomas likes this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....

Last edited by rackingman; 11th January 2017 at 10:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
You say your wife "is buying a Q3," meaning you don't own it yet. So how has VAG caused you damage? I was under the impression (could be wrong) that only owners who bought an effected vehicle BEFORE the issue was made public could claim damages, due to lower than advertised fuel mileage and (presumably) lower resale value of the vehicle.
Hi yes you are right we haven't bought the Q3 yet but I do have an A5 diesel already. Turns out I had misread the dates and my A5 is exempt as I bought it just after the date. Which is good as personally I think VAG should have to pay but I doubt if many owners would genuinely have not bought their car due to the emissions.

I know I was talking to an Audi sales man recently and he was talking about the quattro on demand and he was saying how most wouldn't notice the difference and it improves the economy and my response as I would imagine most quattro drivers would be I would rather have the driving experience of a quattro rather than the economy.
post #6 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks racks for the clarification. I agree with the mpg figures I used to drive a 1.5 dci megane and it is listed at 65 mpg and I couldn't get it to go above 55 mpg. I spoke to Renault about this and they tried to say it was how the car calculated the average like the laws of maths do not apply in France although to be fair maybe they don't.

Similarly my A5 is listed as 55mpg and I can get between 30-50 mpg. To be fair I tend to like the cold weather as it tends to increase my mpg; think this is down to driving style rather than the cold.
post #7 of 10 Old 28th January 2017, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have signed to join the class action. Although , to be honest, I dont care the slightest about the emissions as I am not trying to be the world saver when there are billions of Americans, chinese, Indians..etc bumping all kinds of pollutants in the air, I am very annoyed at the lost value of my car. Last year I tried to test that and went to a Mercedes dealership enquiring about part exchange. The first question they asked was my A5 affected by the emissions scandal as they will have to offer a lower price for it although it is in pristine condition
DrEskimo likes this.

A5 Cab 2.0 L S line Diesel 2011,MMI 3g, AMI,cruise control, Xenon headlights, 19" Alloys Monza Silver
post #8 of 10 Old 28th January 2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)

Fair enough young sam but next time you are going past the Mercedes shop and have 5 mins to spare please pop in, give them my warmest regards and point out that they are scheming hypocritical bastards and the new c class petrol convertible is off our shopping list as a matter of principle. See below...

In the wake of the Volkswagen emissions scandal, which engulfed the motor industry last year, car makers worldwide have come under scrutiny regarding the Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emission of their vehicles.

It’s important to note that all of the cars tested are technically legal, as they still fall within acceptable EU limits, but the results of the investigations are nonetheless worrying.

What Car? has prepared this guide to what’s going on, and how this latest diesel scandal could affect you.

What’s happened?

German car makers Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Opel (known as Vauxhall in this country), Porsche and Volkswagen are recalling more than 630,000 diesel cars in their home market of Germany. It has since been confirmed that cars in the UK are affected as well.

The voluntary recall is taking place because a German government investigation found that during testing, several cars produced by those manufacturers emitted far more NOx than had previously been recorded during laboratory testing.

The discretion between the laboratory figures and the data collected in real-world testing is said to be down to the temperature at which emissions reduction systems are operating, but more on that later.

The full list of cars deemed by the German government to have excessive NOx emissions includes the following diesel models:

Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
Audi A6 V6
Chevrolet Cruze 2.0
Dacia Sandero 1.5
Fiat Ducato 3.0
Hyundai ix35 2.0
Hyundai i20 1.1
Jaguar XE 2.0
Jeep Cherokee 2.0
Range Rover 3.0
Mercedes-Benz V250 Bluetec 2.0
Nissan Navara 2.5
Opel Insignia 2.0
Opel Zafira 1.6
Porsche Macan 3.0 V6
Renault Kadjar 1.5
Renault Kadjar 1.6
Suzuki Vitara 1.6
Volkswagen Amarok 2.0

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #9 of 10 Old 28th January 2017, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1970 View Post
I have signed to join the class action. Although , to be honest, I dont care the slightest about the emissions as I am not trying to be the world saver when there are billions of Americans, chinese, Indians..etc bumping all kinds of pollutants in the air, I am very annoyed at the lost value of my car. Last year I tried to test that and went to a Mercedes dealership enquiring about part exchange. The first question they asked was my A5 affected by the emissions scandal as they will have to offer a lower price for it although it is in pristine condition

Sounds fair to me mate.

...but I can't help but think Mercedes might have a slight invested interest in giving you the impression your car is worth less than it is....I'm sure they are more than happy to use that line, even if in reality it has had little to know effect...

How did the trade in compare to the more generic WBAC valuation?

post #10 of 10 Old 28th January 2017, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
Fair enough young sam but next time you are going past the Mercedes shop and have 5 mins to spare please pop in, give them my warmest regards and point out that they are scheming hypocritical bastards and the new c class petrol convertible is off our shopping list as a matter of principle. See below...

In the wake of the Volkswagen emissions scandal, which engulfed the motor industry last year, car makers worldwide have come under scrutiny regarding the Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emission of their vehicles.

Itís important to note that all of the cars tested are technically legal, as they still fall within acceptable EU limits, but the results of the investigations are nonetheless worrying.

What Car? has prepared this guide to whatís going on, and how this latest diesel scandal could affect you.

Whatís happened?

German car makers Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Opel (known as Vauxhall in this country), Porsche and Volkswagen are recalling more than 630,000 diesel cars in their home market of Germany. It has since been confirmed that cars in the UK are affected as well.

The voluntary recall is taking place because a German government investigation found that during testing, several cars produced by those manufacturers emitted far more NOx than had previously been recorded during laboratory testing.

The discretion between the laboratory figures and the data collected in real-world testing is said to be down to the temperature at which emissions reduction systems are operating, but more on that later.

The full list of cars deemed by the German government to have excessive NOx emissions includes the following diesel models:

Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
Audi A6 V6
Chevrolet Cruze 2.0
Dacia Sandero 1.5
Fiat Ducato 3.0
Hyundai ix35 2.0
Hyundai i20 1.1
Jaguar XE 2.0
Jeep Cherokee 2.0
Range Rover 3.0
Mercedes-Benz V250 Bluetec 2.0
Nissan Navara 2.5
Opel Insignia 2.0
Opel Zafira 1.6
Porsche Macan 3.0 V6
Renault Kadjar 1.5
Renault Kadjar 1.6
Suzuki Vitara 1.6
Volkswagen Amarok 2.0

This was from a recent ICCT report:

http://www.theicct.org/nox-europe-hd...arison-jan2017

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode