• 1 Post By fred44nl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 8th January 2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Dubious sales technique

I bought a new S5 in 2015 and I have been very happy with my purchase. I was passing the Audi showroom near Piccadilly and popped in to have a look at the new MMI. They had an A5 sportback and I looked around.
I mentioned to the sales staff that I have the current S5 with a 3.0 supercharged V6 and I've heard the new S5 will also have a 3.0 engine. Both staff members were adamant that my car is a naturally aspirated. I explained I definitely have a supercharger but they said they had just completed their corporate training for the new A5/S5 and that they had been told to tell customers that the old S5 doesn't have a supercharger and that the new engine has a turbo. We all just stood there looking at each other, they thought I was a bit strange for challenging them and I couldn't believe this was their official line.
I am not on a vanity trip, I know the new car will be better, but do Audi really have to lie about the previous car?

A5 2.0tfsi quattro black edition, daytona grey.
S5 black edition, midnight blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 8th January 2017, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)

The two staff members you met are obviously brand new to Audi. If you think about it, the Audi trainer was correct in saying that the B9 S5 does not have a supercharger because it uses a turbocharger. I don't think the Audi trainer was lying to the sales staff. The sales staff understood it wrong because they didn't know the previous gen S5 any better. If I were you, I would have invited the staff you met to view your S5's engine bay and show them the supercharger that sits in the 'V' of the V6 engine. That will probably compel them to read up on info concerning the B8 and B8.5 models so they won't end up embarrassing themselves in front of other customers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 9th January 2017, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)

Garage
Presumably they have it confused with the B8 S5 Coupe, which was only available as a 4.2 V8. Only the SB and Cabs were 3.0 V6 supercharged. The V8 Coupe was then replaced with the same 3.0 V6 with the B8.5.

But yea, no reason to lie about the current models in a vain attempt to make the new one seem better. Some people prefer turbos over supers anyway....

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black

post #4 of 4 Old 9th January 2017, 01:28 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Garage
since when can we believe the word from any car-salesman ??
this story only confirms what I have felt and known for years and years
DrEskimo likes this.

A5 SB 2.0 TFSI 155kW quattro Pro-Line S-tron. (16 febr. 2010 - .....)
A3 HB 2.0 FSI 110kW Pro-Line - 8P (26 jan. 2007 - 16 febr. 2010)
 MacBook Air 4.2 - i7 - 256 GB SSD (aug. 2011) - Sierra
Original Ross-Tech cable with Vag-Com/VCDS - 16.8.3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode