ETKA - Can work with windows 7 32 and 64 - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 & S5 Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Ben

Ben is on a distinguished road
Cool ETKA - Can work with windows 7 32 and 64

Hi Guys,

This may be a bit long winded but after approx 6months of fruitlessly trying to get either the tecar or etka working with w7 ultimate, using about 10 different versions of the programs and trolling through every site I could find for how to get the "hardlock" emulator working all to no success I've finally found the way on a back ended forum somewhere ( sorry but really can't remember which one it was ). So being sceptical I thought f#@k it i'll give it a go and amazingly it worked first go.

What really surprised me was I then deleted the etka 7.2 international I'd just got working and tried one of the other earlier version, guess what it worked too...

Being in a state of shock and with a spare computer lying round I went for the ultimate test. Since I've installed vista ult 32 and 64 bit, then each of the etka. This took about 2 weeks on and off. Then I tried with w7 home, home prem, ultimate and enterprise editions. All versions worked here too! And took another couple of weeks, so I've decidied that I'd better let you all know how.

The solution lies in creating a virtual terminal within windows. This is actually really easy. Here are the steps
  • First you need to make sure that "Virtual Terminal" or might just say "VT" hardware acceleration is enabled in your computers bios. BE CAREFUL WITH THESE SETTINGS AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY STUFF UPS ON YOUR PART.

• Then you will need to restart your machine. Once loaded up again press the windows key and type in "xp mode" to begin the programme search. If you have it sweet skip to point 4, if not then go to this microsoft link Click HERE then download the three files and install them.
  • Once you have the virtual terminal programme installed open it by pressing the windows key, typing in xp mode, then clicking the programme to run it. You are almost there
  • When the programme finishes loading for the first time ( this can take a while ) you will notice that the interface looks like a Remote Desktop Connection screen with the default XP desktop ( ahh fond memories ) using your mouse, not the keyboard click on the start icon inside the XP desktop. Not your own w7 icon.
  • Then click on the "My Computer" find the networked drive with your normal computer name on it. Then find where you have the files stored that you need to use to install. Then double click as you normally would

Once all the install is over you will have a working version that can be accessed via your normal w7 start button. Find the Windows Virtual PC folder then just scroll to the XP mode programmes then to ETKA and DONE!!!!!!

I could post screen shots if you want but I think the explanation really does go through it without too many porblems

Hell yeah that took a lot of but it is now time to

AUDI S5
All factory options without the sunroof, Phantom Black/Magma, Manual of course. VagCom (All main mods), Hoen Fogs, H&R 20/25's, B&B X-Pipe, Stasis Rear Bar and KW III's.

Also just for some different fun a 2008 Fireblade
Mods
Jardine RS5 Exhaust (seriously that's the name of it)
Doesn't really need too much more

Almost forgot - 1969 MGB MkII with Overdrive in Fire Engine Red, Slowly building back to Concourse - Still got some serious work to do on that front through...

Last edited by Ben; 10th November 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: bullet point wrong ...
Ben is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Super Moderator

REB_A5 is on a distinguished road

That's all OK if you have either Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate since the Home Premium and lower versions don't come with XP Mode.

I believe that ETKA 7.2 will run on Windows 7 32 Bit but not on 64 Bit as there are no 64 Bit USB drivers for the Hardlock emulator.

There's a lot of info (including ETKA updates) over here. I have it running on XP Home on an old laptop.

REB

A5 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line Sportback (MY 2011)
Monza Silver | Brushed Aluminium | 19" '5 Segment Spoke' Alloys | HDD SatNav | MMI 3G | Comfort Pack | Advanced Key | B & O Audio | AMI | DAB | HFS | Bluetooth | Parking System Advanced | Audi Drive Select | Hill-Hold Assist | Cruise Control | Interior Light Package | Milltek Exhaust

Ordered 31 May 14 : S3 Sportback S-Tronic in Sepang Blue
Built & at Emden awaiting shipping. Collect 18 August

REB_A5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11th November 2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Ben

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB_A5 View Post
That's all OK if you have either Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate since the Home Premium and lower versions don't come with XP Mode.

I believe that ETKA 7.2 will run on Windows 7 32 Bit but not on 64 Bit as there are no 64 Bit USB drivers for the Hardlock emulator.

There's a lot of info (including ETKA updates) over here. I have it running on XP Home on an old laptop.
Yep a lot of info, re-read point two for me. XP mode can be downloaded from microsoft for all versions of w7 and I'm a member on the touareg forum but none of the "new asprin" emulators will ever run ( ATM ) on a 64 bit machine. The emulator service is started then automatically stoped by windows as it is not compatible. That was one of the first places I tried as there seemed to be a few people with some ideas... Alas none of it worked

If you have it working then all cool. But I did not want to go back to xp or have it on a seperate laptop, hence I've tried everything to get it working on my main computer. Which is really the people I've aimed this thread at. Those poor souls who really wanted etka but couldn't get it to run without the hardlock error.

Thanks though for the input

AUDI S5
All factory options without the sunroof, Phantom Black/Magma, Manual of course. VagCom (All main mods), Hoen Fogs, H&R 20/25's, B&B X-Pipe, Stasis Rear Bar and KW III's.

Also just for some different fun a 2008 Fireblade
Mods
Jardine RS5 Exhaust (seriously that's the name of it)
Doesn't really need too much more

Almost forgot - 1969 MGB MkII with Overdrive in Fire Engine Red, Slowly building back to Concourse - Still got some serious work to do on that front through...
Ben is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.