Replaced all 4 shock absorber! What a difference!!! - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By gtx2010
  • 1 Post By Zed
  • 1 Post By gtx2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10th September 2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Garage
Cool Replaced all 4 shock absorber! What a difference!!!

Replaced all 4 shock absorber! What a difference in handling and driving!!!

Long story short - Have had few problems for more than 1 year and tried many different things but problems were still there until now.

Problem 1 - Steering vibration over 65mph... sometimes the vibration was really bad! Tried many things such as 4 wheel alignment, new brake discs and pads, new Tyres, tyre balancing .. mechanic checked steering rack and all control arms and bushes, nothing was wrong! All mechanic inspected suspension and shocks and they all said shocks are fine!

Problem 2 - Violent Judder while braking at high speed! Tried new brake disks and pads, wheel balancing, new wheel hub and bearing ... nothing fixed the issue.

Problem 3 - Intermittent Clunking noise at low speed over pot holes or bumps, which sounded like coming from steering rack ...

All of the above problem is now solved just by fitting new shock absorbers .... car now drives and handles like new car even after 192K Miles ....

So... if you have any of the above problems and tried all usual things like new brake disks, wheel balancing, alignment... etc.. etc... and problem is still there I would suggest try replacing the shocks. I purchased bilstein shocks.
hanif87 and robinh112 like this.

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
VCDS / VAG-COM

Last edited by gtx2010; 10th September 2016 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10th September 2016, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I have a clunking noise when moving steering rack while driving really slow at 5mph.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 11th September 2016, 06:56 AM
Zed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanif87 View Post
I have a clunking noise when moving steering rack while driving really slow at 5mph.

I get the same thing. Been suspecting a steering rack problem or even a worn tie rod end but this sheds new light!
hanif87 likes this.

post #4 of 17 Old 11th September 2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

192k miles someone with more than me
post #5 of 17 Old 11th September 2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also added little bit power steering fluid too as suggested on this forum so that the fluid sit just slightly above the max mark! I had to add about 100ml fluid ...

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
VCDS / VAG-COM
post #6 of 17 Old 11th September 2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
192k miles someone with more than me
Mostly motorway miles mate! Used to drive about 1000 miles every week ... nowadays a bit less ... I guess if those miles were city of local drive the car wouldn't stand a chance as it is now ...

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
VCDS / VAG-COM
post #7 of 17 Old 12th September 2016, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

ive started considering this too as a fix for my annoying niggles like noise when moving slowly over small potholes etc, also changed a wheel bearing last weekend hoping one of the noises would be down to that... it wasnt... also slight squeak from the NSR over bumps. Was thinking about looking at all the bushings too.

More so now given your review! It seems one of the shocks is a SACHS part too, which i dont think was an OEM part...

Last edited by sparx; 12th September 2016 at 02:17 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 12th September 2016, 02:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Garage
Very interesting news gang, I have 150k kms on mine and so far no knocks despite the awful road surfaces I encounter daily. I too suspected that my auto box had a serious problem until a mate suggested to top up the tranmission oil, the resulting change seemed like a new gearbox!!! Super smooth. Sachs was perhaps OEM???

2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" rotor wheels with Pirelli P-Zeros.
160,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Just had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, rear badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster.
post #9 of 17 Old 12th September 2016, 03:21 AM

I dont know if Sachs is OEM, what makes me think that is that the NSF shock is the only one with a sachs sticker...
@gtx2010 what shocks did you get for yours ?

Last edited by sparx; 12th September 2016 at 09:36 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 13th September 2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sachs is OEM, if you have Audi part number on in, so look in the Sachs sticker you should see VAG part number like 8T0 ....
End of the day OEM Sachs, Sachs, Bilstein all are same and I believe made by the same people too ... just different prices! The cheapest I could find is the Bilstein ones and I don't think they are any worst then OEM if not better.
sparx likes this.

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
VCDS / VAG-COM
post #11 of 17 Old 13th September 2016, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRoma View Post
Very interesting news gang, I have 150k kms on mine and so far no knocks despite the awful road surfaces I encounter daily. I too suspected that my auto box had a serious problem until a mate suggested to top up the tranmission oil, the resulting change seemed like a new gearbox!!! Super smooth. Sachs was perhaps OEM???

Maybe 3.0 TDI V6 suffers more than petrol models as the TDI engines are much more heavier!

Which gearbox do you have? and how did you top up? Thanks

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
VCDS / VAG-COM

Last edited by gtx2010; 13th September 2016 at 01:17 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old 13th September 2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2010 View Post
Sachs is OEM, if you have Audi part number on in, so look in the Sachs sticker you should see VAG part number like 8T0 ....
End of the day OEM Sachs, Sachs, Bilstein all are same and I believe made by the same people too ... just different prices! The cheapest I could find is the Bilstein ones and I don't think they are any worst then OEM if not better.
Legend,

The more i looked at it the more im considering bagging mine...
post #13 of 17 Old 17th September 2016, 08:53 AM
C99

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:

Long story short - Have had few problems for more than 1 year and tried many different things but problems were still there until now.

Problem 1 - Steering vibration over 65mph... sometimes the vibration was really bad! Tried many things such as 4 wheel alignment, new brake discs and pads, new Tyres, tyre balancing .. mechanic checked steering rack and all control arms and bushes, nothing was wrong! All mechanic inspected suspension and shocks and they all said shocks are fine!

Problem 2 - Violent Judder while braking at high speed! Tried new brake disks and pads, wheel balancing, new wheel hub and bearing ... nothing fixed the issue.

Problem 3 - Intermittent Clunking noise at low speed over pot holes or bumps, which sounded like coming from steering rack ...

All of the above problem is now solved just by fitting new shock absorbers .... car now drives and handles like new car even after 192K Miles ....

So... if you have any of the above problems and tried all usual things like new brake disks, wheel balancing, alignment... etc.. etc... and problem is still there I would suggest try replacing the shocks. I purchased bilstein shocks.
I have exactly the same problems, last thing I think about are the shocks. I have had them ordered but I did cancel it. I have 146000km. So looks like I will order them again.

Another thing is to sell the car, but I didn't find any other car which I could like more than S5 V8 in price I can spend... (S7 could be my favorite for its V8 biturbo, but it's too big and too expensive).

New A5/S5 is design, quality and reliability crap like any other new car in these times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 Old 30th January 2017, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Hmm I have issue number 1. 3 shocks were replaced under warranty 6 months ago. May add the final shocker to the long list of things to look at....thanks for the pointer.
post #15 of 17 Old 31st January 2017, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanif87 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I get the same thing. Been suspecting a steering rack problem or even a worn tie rod end but this sheds new light!
I get this too but I understood it to be a trait common to all quattro systems and perfectly normal. Ive only had the car a month though....
post #16 of 17 Old Today, 05:37 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Garage
Cool Sorry for the long delay .....

Quote:
Maybe 3.0 TDI V6 suffers more than petrol models as the TDI engines are much more heavier!

Which gearbox do you have? and how did you top up? Thanks
Dear GTX, sorry I never saw your post please forgive. Mine is the 8 speed auto mated to the 3200 FSI petrol engine. My trusted indi does all of the work and I did not see how he topped it up but he told me that only about 100cc was missing, but the difference was amazing.

2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" rotor wheels with Pirelli P-Zeros.
160,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Just had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, rear badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster.
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
I get this too but I understood it to be a trait common to all quattro systems and perfectly normal. Ive only had the car a month though....
Add me to the list on this one!

Was quite concerned about it when I first bought the car, only to drive it home and find that it made those noises...

Strange thump/notchy type noise when turning steering past a certain point (just off centre, to the right for me if I remember).

Did some reading and apparently a new rack will sort it out

Think I'll live with it... It's only slightly annoying!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode