LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 Old 7th September 2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Garage
Unhappy Help help helppppp!!!!

Hey Everyone,

I am in need of some MAJOR help! Basically...

I have a 2008 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI. Since day one, I've been having a few issues with it - the biggest issue being the Oil Consumption BS!
I dropped the car off to the garage I bought it from, as they said that they would take the A5 to their local Audi on my behalf, for the first part of the Oil Consumption Test. I dropped the car off on the 1st of August (WITH HALF A TANK OF SUPER UNLEADED!), as they said they had an appointment on the 2nd of August. However, after dropping the A5 off, a few days later, the garage turned around and said that it's actually going in on the 18th of August.

Anyway, I go to collect the car from Audi MYSELF after I was told that the first part of the Oil Consumption Test was done, and I was told that I had to drive it for 650 miles or when the Oil Light comes on, and then bring it back. The first thing that I notice is that the fuel level is at the BARE MINIMUM, but I dismissed it and topped up AGAIN (which makes me think that my car was used as a runaround for the garage for 17 days before it actually went to Audi!). Upon driving it back home on the M11 (about 10 mins since I picked up the car), the A5 started to shake violently, the engine light started to flash, along with the EPC light (and not being able to do more than 50mph-60mph).

My first instinct was to take it back to Audi immediately, as I thought that maybe they had tampered with the engine for the initial part of the Oil Consumption Test. After going in guns blazing, they told me that all they did was hook it up to their computers, and that they didn't even touch the engine. I also called the garage I bought the car from TWO MONTHS AGO, and, all of a sudden, they've said that they "don't want anything to do with the car", and that it's "not their problem". Fishy... I think so!

Audi said that the A5 had a misfire in Cylinder number 1, and that it was running on less valves cylinders than it should. I was also told that the A5 was unsafe to drive back home, and that Audi would need to fix it, in order to prevent further damage.

The technician at Audi said that it may be the Ignition Coil Packs, and that maybe they need replacing. However, before they replace them, Audi wanted to replace the Spark Plugs and the Ignition Coil Pack Connectors, as some of the Spark Plugs were "Burnt Out", and some of the Connectors were broken. I was quoted approximately 60 for the Spark Plugs and approximately 10 for the Connectors (Labour Free!). However, this didn't seem to fix the issue. Audi then replaced the Ignition Coil Packs. This didn't seem to fix the issue either. Yet, I paid for it myself.

The next step for Audi is to replace the Fuel Injectors, at which I was quoted approximately 440 (excluding VAT!) for the work to be done. However, they said that it would DEFINITELY fix the issue!

I have warranty on the car (which came with it when I bought it), however, they said they won't pay more than 37+VAT for labour to ANY garage outside the M25 (which means that they definitely won't pay Audi's stupid 190 labour rate!). Since I live in the M25, the warranty company said that they will only pay 45+VAT for labour to any garage within the M25. This meant that I had to do a 40-odd mile journey from Audi Stansted to home, with the car shaking like crazy. When I got home, I booked it in with a local independent, who has just gotten back to me today, and said that they changed the Fuel Injector, however, there's still a misfire in Cylinder Number One. The mechanic even took out the fuel injector from Cylinder Number Four, and put it in Cylinder Number One, but there was STILL a misfire in Cylinder Number One!

So now we know that it's NOT the Spark Plugs, Connectors, Coil Packs or Fuel Injectors!

I bought the car two months ago, and it has spent most of that time at the garage that I bought it from fixing issues with the car that were noticed from the first drive home. Do I take legal action against the garage, and ask for a refund? Does anyone know what could be causing this BS to happen??

Please advise!

T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 7th September 2016, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Garage
Very sad, sorry to hear all these trouble! The garage must have know about the issues! I hate to buy from Small garages, I bought a 3.0 TDI quattro 3 years ago and have had few issues, the car sold to me had intake manifold issue and engine warning light was on, so the garage they too out the instrument cluster and they've put a black tape to hide the light! Anyway I bought a VCDS and started to sort out issues myself .... have learnt my lesson and will never buy a car again without a very good inspection, specially not without scanning for any faults after test drive ...

Anyway, if you search on this forum or google you will see a lot of results for a known issues with A5 2.0 TFSI engine oil consumption. If the car is consuming a lot of engine oil then this is a very common fault with this specific engine and needs engine rebuild.

Normally small garages should have 3 months warranty from their side, so maybe seek some legal advise and write to them about the issue.

A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
VCDS / VAG-COM
post #3 of 90 Old 7th September 2016, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Have had the issue but been lazy to get it fixed... How long will the warranty cover the problem?

post #4 of 90 Old 8th September 2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the vote of sympathy! I have a very strong feeling that they did know about the all the issues, and have thought that, "this 20 year old won't say anything". Little do they know that they messed with the wrong 20 year old (I'm actually a married man and a dad, believe it or not? ). I've sought legal advice and the fun part of negotiations - whether to fix all the issues of the car or to get a full refund - have begun. I'll keep the forum updated with what happens, and if I do stick with the car, what the issue actually was?

Thanks for the advice,
T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2010 View Post
Very sad, sorry to hear all these trouble! The garage must have know about the issues! I hate to buy from Small garages, I bought a 3.0 TDI quattro 3 years ago and have had few issues, the car sold to me had intake manifold issue and engine warning light was on, so the garage they too out the instrument cluster and they've put a black tape to hide the light! Anyway I bought a VCDS and started to sort out issues myself .... have learnt my lesson and will never buy a car again without a very good inspection, specially not without scanning for any faults after test drive ...

Anyway, if you search on this forum or google you will see a lot of results for a known issues with A5 2.0 TFSI engine oil consumption. If the car is consuming a lot of engine oil then this is a very common fault with this specific engine and needs engine rebuild.

Normally small garages should have 3 months warranty from their side, so maybe seek some legal advise and write to them about the issue.
post #5 of 90 Old 8th September 2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Have had the issue but been lazy to get it fixed... How long will the warranty cover the problem?
I'm not sure what warranty you have, mine was an external warranty that was sold with the car.
post #6 of 90 Old 16th October 2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:

The Seller Garage pulled his finger out after I threatened him with legal action. He picked up my car from my house (on a Tow-Truck) five weeks ago, and has taken my car to Audi Stansted (has been there for the last three weeks).

Audi are trying to establish what is causing the misfire in cylinder number 1. So far it is not the spark plugs, coil packs or fuel injectors. As soon as Audi establish what's wrong with it, they'll charge the seller garage, fix the issue, give the car back to me (to complete the oil consumption test), then I take it back when the oil light comes on, they basically tell me that I'm right, Audi request authorisation from Audi UK, do the engine rebuild, and then I (HOPEFULLY) DRIVE AWAY WITH NO ISSUES!!!

Please pray for this long process to be as short as possible!

T.
MikeTrammel likes this.
post #7 of 90 Old 16th October 2016, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

i would be on the phone every day to ask for an update and pester the crap out of them!!!! what takes three weeks to fix??

A5 2011 3ltr TDI Sportback, leds inside, led fogs, Black rings and decals, 20 inch rims, rear tints on glass, dash cam and puddle lights= Audi rings and sline..
305bhp and 461ft-lbs or 625Nm 228kw
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 90 Old 17th October 2016, 12:19 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)

Garage
After this long, Talib, it had bloody well better be an upgrade to an R8!
Mac74 and MikeTrammel like this.

2012 (fl) A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-line, Lava Grey
post #9 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianwhitta View Post
After this long, Talib, it had bloody well better be an upgrade to an R8!
I don't think that's the case, unfortunately, Julian.

I contacted Audi Stansted today, who stripped down my engine, and told me that I had a hole in my exhaust valve in my engine!

Want to know the best part of it? EIGHT-AND-A-HALF-BLOODY-GRAND (8500, for all those that don't understand lol) to fix - as, apparently, a new engine is the only fix for it!

Well, I can assure you one thing, I won't be paying a PENNY for a car that I owned for four months, but only drove for three weeks and covered 150-200 miles in it. The rest of the time was spent at either Audi Stansted or the garage I bought the car from - trying to fix the 48,000,000 issues the car had since day one (but, coincidently, I wasn't told about at the time of purchase!).

Either the garage I bought the car pays up to Audi, or I'm asking for a full refund, including any loss of earnings, and interest (thank god my brother-in-law is a Magistrate, eh?).

Such a shame!

T.
MikeTrammel likes this.

2008 AUDI A5 COUPE | 2.0 TFSI | METALLIC TOPAZ BLUE

Let the mods begin...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)

Garage
Fuck me Talib...garage have sold you right up the river with that one...

Best of luck getting your money back...sounds as though you might need it...
MikeTrammel likes this.

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #11 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)

Talib, my heart goes out to you. You have been sold a bag of shit and it seems it has taken ages too long to find out. I think it is almost certain that whoever dumped it on the seller was aware of the problems, even if the seller wasn't. ...

Frankly a magistrate in the family is of no use, you would be better off with a soprano...

Talib Soprano has a ring to it, doesn't it?

Anyway, best of luck and as you probably know if you bought any of it on a card, even just the deposit, or on finance, you have some additional routes to redress.
MikeTrammel likes this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #12 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 12:35 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
F-f-f-f-far out, T! That's... a complete headfuck, actually. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Gird for war, man - time to go heavy legal!
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #13 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
Fuck me Talib...garage have sold you right up the river with that one...

Best of luck getting your money back...sounds as though you might need it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
Talib, my heart goes out to you. You have been sold a bag of shit and it seems it has taken ages too long to find out. I think it is almost certain that whoever dumped it on the seller was aware of the problems, even if the seller wasn't. ...

Frankly a magistrate in the family is of no use, you would be better off with a soprano...

Talib Soprano has a ring to it, doesn't it?

Anyway, best of luck and as you probably know if you bought any of it on a card, even just the deposit, or on finance, you have some additional routes to redress.
Quote:
F-f-f-f-far out, T! That's... a complete headfuck, actually. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Gird for war, man - time to go heavy legal!

Thanks for the reply guys! You know what really is a downer? I called the garage a week or two back, and asked him for a progress update. The garage told me that Audi Stansted had started the engine rebuild. It was as this point, I genuinely thought things were going great. Yeah, I had a slight knock back, but hey, I was getting an engine rebuild. I was just excited that I was gonna get my car back. Not only did I get my car tinted, I bought an S5 exhaust, I bought a quad exhaust rear diffuser, exhaust bits and bobs from Audi, facelift rear lights for my car, was even in the midst of buying some nice new alloys for the car. It was only when I started to chase Audi Stansted up (since the last two weeks), that they say they never agreed to such a thing, and gave me this shitty news today.

Thank you for the support lads. It is a head case and a royal pain in the bum, but either they fix it, or I take the long-winded legal route. Racks, I mentioned that my bro-in-law was a magistrate because he's dealt with a similar case in court, so he knows the kind of evidence the court would want, in order to rule in my favour... hopefully!

It's shitty being so excited to get a beautiful car, and then realising that you just got majorly fucked over.

T.

Let the mods begin...

Last edited by TalibA5; 11th November 2016 at 12:28 PM.
post #14 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 01:09 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Decision time, mate. Separate the emotion (and, yes, doing the forecourt "renovation" probably IS a bad idea) and try to look at this dispassionately. Do you want to keep the car or not? Does the investment you've already made in the car (parts, et al) warrant pursuing a proper fix, or do you take the hit on the things you're not going to be able to recover (the tint), go after a full refund and find another, similar, car?
Keep in mind that this isn't really about a nice car with a dud motor (and other little niggles), at least not any more. This is now about compelling the garage to either fund the new engine, or give you your money back (along with reasonable costs).
Like I said - decision time.

post #15 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Decision time, mate. Separate the emotion (and, yes, doing the forecourt "renovation" probably IS a bad idea) and try to look at this dispassionately. Do you want to keep the car or not? Does the investment you've already made in the car (parts, et al) warrant pursuing a proper fix, or do you take the hit on the things you're not going to be able to recover (the tint), go after a full refund and find another, similar, car?
Keep in mind that this isn't really about a nice car with a dud motor (and other little niggles), at least not any more. This is now about compelling the garage to either fund the new engine, or give you your money back (along with reasonable costs).
Like I said - decision time.

Thanks for your message, Julian. I think I needed to read that. You're right, take emotion out of it. IDEALLY, I'd WANT to get the car fixed, but then I think, if the engine has gone, maybe the car is in a shitty condition and the gearbox maybe be next to go. I also HIGHLY doubt that the garage will pay 8500 for a car that cost me 8350 (can you believe it had full Audi service history, except the last one, 65,000 miles and 2 owners). I'm a skeptical of the condition of the car, no matter how much I love it - and I do bloody love it!

What are your thoughts mate? What would you do if you were in my situation?

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #16 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 02:40 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
The one big fault certainly ups the ante on both the other smaller faults you already know about AND the possible ones you don't know about. It's a question of confidence, T - are you confident that a new engine will restore your belief in the car? For me, with the niggles you've already had on top of the dud motor, I'd be looking for a refund and finding another car. And, if you're thinking that's taking the easy way out, take some comfort from the knowledge that I've burned way too much time and money, and truly ridiculous amounts of emotional capital, on dud "heart" cars in the last 40 years to want to see you going down the same path in the early stages of your motoring journey.

post #17 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The one big fault certainly ups the ante on both the other smaller faults you already know about AND the possible ones you don't know about. It's a question of confidence, T - are you confident that a new engine will restore your belief in the car? For me, with the niggles you've already had on top of the dud motor, I'd be looking for a refund and finding another car. And, if you're thinking that's taking the easy way out, take some comfort from the knowledge that I've burned way too much time and money, and truly ridiculous amounts of emotional capital, on dud "heart" cars in the last 40 years to want to see you going down the same path in the early stages of your motoring journey.
You know what, Julian? I don't think I could "live in fear" of something that could go something wrong. Even if everything is genuinely perfect with the car, I'd still feel as if I couldn't trust the car. Does that make sense? Knowing you've had a few mishaps in the past, and knowing that you've been in a similar position, does make me feel better, J.

Seems like I'm gonna have a very interesting convo tomorrow. Going to conference call my dad into it, and I'll put it on speaker to record it - as evidence for court (if it goes that far).

Thank you for looking outt for me, Julian, Doc, Racks, Mike and everyone else.

T.
MikeTrammel likes this.

Let the mods begin...

Last edited by TalibA5; 11th November 2016 at 12:19 PM.
post #18 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Good luck, mate. Chickens being sacrificed for a good outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #19 of 90 Old 20th October 2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Good luck, mate. Chickens being sacrificed for a good outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you mate! I hope so!

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #20 of 90 Old 22nd October 2016, 01:00 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Aw, crap! That just straight-out sucks, T. I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this rubbish. And, no, it's not possible to burn through a valve in only 210 miles, unless the valve is made of aluminium foil, or there's a tiny little man inside your engine applying a blowtorch to it!
Hang on to the parts, mate. If the court action goes your way (and I strongly suspect it will), you might just end up with enough cash to simply replace the car with a facelift version!
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #21 of 90 Old 23rd October 2016, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Man, I think you've pretty much got it covered! Remind me never to piss you off!
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #22 of 90 Old 23rd October 2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Man, I think you've pretty much got it covered! Remind me never to piss you off!

Hahahahaha. That genuinely made me LOL. I'm actually a nice guy, just for the record.

Quote:
Aw, crap! That just straight-out sucks, T. I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this rubbish. And, no, it's not possible to burn through a valve in only 210 miles, unless the valve is made of aluminium foil, or there's a tiny little man inside your engine applying a blowtorch to it!
Hang on to the parts, mate. If the court action goes your way (and I strongly suspect it will), you might just end up with enough cash to simply replace the car with a facelift version!

Oh, I forgot to ask you earlier, Julian, but do you mind if I use this quote in my case, mate? Apparently, according to my brother-in-law (the Magistrate), opinions (e.g. Forum posts) are used as a persuading technique. It's not hardcore evidence, and they won't win the case alone, but it makes my case a little bit stronger if I have people agreeing with me? It's like the cherry on top of the ice cream - kinda pointless by itself, but it makes the whole thing look better!

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #23 of 90 Old 23rd October 2016, 02:31 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Be my guest, mate. If it helps you nail these pricks, I'm in!

post #24 of 90 Old 23rd October 2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Be my guest, mate. If it helps you nail these pricks, I'm in!
Thank you, mate! I really appreciate it, Mr Whitta!

When I get my massive, million pound pay out, 2017 S5's are on me!

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #25 of 90 Old 23rd October 2016, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Well, you don't have to go THAT far... err, Shiraz Red, please!
MikeTrammel likes this.

post #26 of 90 Old 23rd October 2016, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalibA5 View Post
!

It's shitty being so excited to get a beautiful, and then realising that you just got majorly fucked over.

T.

Everyone's nightmare come to life. Sorry T. Hope things start to fall in your favor after all this. Positive Vibes

2011 Audi S5 4.2L V8 Coupe
EPL Tune, Canyon Run Strut Bar, RS5 Front Grille and Fogs
AWE Touring Exhaust, AWE Carbon Fiber S-Flo
20x10 ET30 Vorsteiner VFF-103, Custom Flat Bottom Wheel
Blue LED Map and Dome, Courtesy, Glove and Trunk
Audi puddle light ghost projectors, JBL 10" subwoofer upgrade
post #27 of 90 Old 24th October 2016, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrammel View Post
Everyone's nightmare come to life. Sorry T. Hope things start to fall in your favor after all this. Positive Vibes
Thank you, Mike! I will be updating you all as things progress. How's your running mate? Loved that steering wheel btw!

T.

Let the mods begin...
post #28 of 90 Old 24th October 2016, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

post #29 of 90 Old 27th October 2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update (27/10/16):

My contact at Audi Stansted sent me a few pics of my car today... HEARTBREAKING is the least I can say. Having and driving my baby for only a few weeks, to now see that the bumper is removed and the engine is out (and in little pieces in a box btw!), saddens my Heart. She stills looks so pretty, even though she's just an empty shell now. I will upload the pictures for all of you to share my pain!

Please send lots of positive vibes guys and girls! I'm not worried about winning, I'm worried about how long all of this will take!

Next update soon!

T.
MikeTrammel likes this.

Let the mods begin...

Last edited by TalibA5; 11th November 2016 at 12:15 PM.
post #30 of 90 Old 27th October 2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pics or it never happened...

T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audi 1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	130249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Audi 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	130257  
MikeTrammel likes this.

Let the mods begin...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode