Help me decide which car to buy! - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 8th August 2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Help me decide which car to buy!

Help me decide which car to buy! I have been looking at A5 Sortbacks - initially an early 2.0 TFSI Quattro (complete with possible oil leak) but seem to have increased my budget and also switched to diesel for low running costs and (more importantly as I only intend to keep it 2-3 years) better depreciation. So I am looking at a 2012 A5 Sportback 3.0 TDI (204 PS) S-Line Multitronic in Phantom Black. It has HDD Sat Nav and cruise control. 44k miles on the clock.

But for the same price I have also seen a very similar A7. Same engine, same colour, same mileage. 2011 rather than 2012. SE rather than S-line. SD card nav rather than HDD.

So which to buy? We have 2 small kids in child seats, so donít really need the extra legroom in the back the A7 gives. And actually the extra size is a downside around town. But sitting in the A7 is definitely a more luxurious experience. Luxury is more important than sporty handling at this particular point in my life - my passengers complain about cornering too fast long before the car does.

Which would you pick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 8th August 2016, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)

Garage
Blimey thats a toughy...

For me, parking that monster of an A7 would be a nightmare. Have a hard enough time with my S5... So the first question is practicality. It really is massive!

Second, whats the SD nav like in the A7? I love the pop up screen, but does it have a lower resolution like in the A3? That would bug me and ruin the 'premium' feel of the whole car.

In terms of a GT cruiser...the A7 wins for me. It's such a comfortable place and the interior is much nicer than the 5's.

Finally are both cars quattro?

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #3 of 7 Old 8th August 2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
For me, parking that monster of an A7 would be a nightmare. Have a hard enough time with my S5... So the first question is practicality. It really is massive!
Yes I think that's the biggest downside. Really the A5 is the more sensible option for that reason.

Quote:
Second, whats the SD nav like in the A7? I love the pop up screen, but does it have a lower resolution like in the A3? That would bug me and ruin the 'premium' feel of the whole car.
That's a very good question. I will find out. The car didn't have the maps loaded when I saw it so didn't see the nav in operation

Quote:
Finally are both cars quattro?
Sadly neither are. The TDI Quattro doesn't seem to be in budget - at least not without a lot of miles on the clock and lower spec generally.

post #4 of 7 Old 8th August 2016, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)

Garage
I would go back to the 2.0TFSI quattro then...!

I used to have a 2.0TFSI FWD and the wheel spin drove me nuts...now I drive the S5 I would really struggle to go back to FWD...

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #5 of 7 Old 8th August 2016, 10:17 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Garage
Hiya and my 2 pennies worth....I have never driven the A7.......note that:

Diesel is NOT always cheaper to run, this depends both on the mileage and type of driving you do and on the relative price of the 2 fuels. Servicing on a diesel is more expensive than servicing the equivalent petrol engine.

The larger and more expensive cars tend to depreciate faster than the smaller ones so the A7 faster then the A5. And they are harder to shift as they get older.

Quattro on both cars is for sure a massive driving aid in the good old cold and wet UK.

Good luck, Simon

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
162,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Recently had the wheels refurbished, bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of new Brembo discs and pads just fitted and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers.
post #6 of 7 Old 9th August 2016, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)

As the Doc says, go for the Quattro.
The 204ps going through the front wheels only will be a nightmare if you like getting off the line quickly...

A7 is a beautiful car though but I think you'd maybe regret not getting S-Line? I think the differences in exterior design really suit the A7 over the SE model.
The SD based nav is a smaller screen and lower res over the HDD based version.

Just my opinion of course! If you're looking for a big cruiser and that's all you want it for, the A7 fits the bill all day long!

Current - BMW 'F10' 530d M Sport - Carbon Black - Oyster Leather - Media Pack - ACC Pack - M Sport 'Plus' Pack - H/K Surround - Adaptive Headlights - High Beam Assist - M Rear Spoiler - M Performance Grills - Digital Instrument Cluster

Gone - Audi S5 SB - 3.0T - Misano Red - All Black Interior - Tech Pack High - Assistance Pack - Sound Pack - ADS/DamperControl/Sports Diff - BlackEd Touches - Storage Pack - Light Pack - RS5 20" Rotors
post #7 of 7 Old 10th August 2016, 03:04 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChapman View Post
As the Doc says, go for the Quattro.
The 204ps going through the front wheels only will be a nightmare if you like getting off the line quickly...

A7 is a beautiful car though but I think you'd maybe regret not getting S-Line? I think the differences in exterior design really suit the A7 over the SE model.
The SD based nav is a smaller screen and lower res over the HDD based version.

Just my opinion of course! If you're looking for a big cruiser and that's all you want it for, the A7 fits the bill all day long!
Hey Dan I would never wish to argue but just tell you my experience and opinion. I have a 2WD A5 FSI with 265 horses thro' the front wheels. I bought it after alot of research and reading and tyre kicking. Previously I had a BMW 530D so I enjoyed the rwd with the lovely straight 6 and I covered alot of European kilometres, about 100,000 over 4 years and I loved her. The A5 I really enjoy too, I have never regretted choosing 2WD as the design and lay out of the car is fantastic and it FEELS in some way almost like RWD. The weight of the engine is quite far back so the balance is great, I have only lost the front end once when pushing hard in the damp, and of course 4WD would have helped but do I need another 200kg to carry around???? Instead I fit winter tyres over the winter months.......

Just my 2 pennies, with respect, Simon

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
162,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Recently had the wheels refurbished, bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of new Brembo discs and pads just fitted and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode