LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 4th August 2016, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In market for S5V6T

Deleted
melvinkimblewot likes this.

Last edited by Toms Jankovskis; 30th September 2016 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 4th August 2016, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)

Garage
Welcome Tom. Good to have you on board.

Given you as much advice as I can over on ASN, but hopefully some of members on here with actual knowledge on tuning will help you out

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #3 of 16 Old 4th August 2016, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)

Garage
Hi Toms, I have not been to ASN yet today so I'll probably repeat what the good doctor has told you.

In mid 2014 Audi upgraded the engine to the CREC code. Whilst probably being a good advancement in terms of emissions (EU6) and reliability, it also got a new ECU (Simos 16) which has not been cracked yet. So as of now there are NO STAGE 2 SOLUTIONS FOR ANY EUROPEAN S4 or S5 BUILT IN 2H 2014, ALL OF 2015 AND SO FAR IN 2016 (I think production has now stopped). So either you want a 2012 to 1H 2014 car or like us you'll have to take the risk and hope that a tuner cracks the ECU. There is a tuner called MRC in the UK who has stated that they are "working on it", however there's no guarantee that it will ever be done.

There are several German tuning houses including ABT but they are usually quite expensive, especially if they offer the "piggy-back" solution. If not you should be able to find a local independent garage who will tune your car with one of the "off-the-shelf" solutions from tuners such as APR and REVO. For the stage 2 they usually recommend fitting the smaller supercharger pulley. However the tuner that seems to have had the best results (and publishes "real" tunes on their FB page) is MRC. Their stage 2 uses an oversize crank pulley. In some respects this is a better solution because the OEM crank pulley can fail (the vibration damper part). The theory is that the damping is not really needed, however it is now possible to get a Fluidampr oversize crank pulley to play safe. As I noted MRC is based in the UK however they have links with other tuners in Europe (well at least one - KSF I think). Their tuning "genius" Mihnea is originally from Eastern Europe (Romania IIRC) so if you contact them directly you might be able to arrange getting a tune done locally.

As to the car I imagine your research has already uncovered problems with the s-tronic gearbox? Getting a manual is an alternative but I have heard that they can have clutch problems. The s-tronic DL501 is on its third generation (although some might say that there was a "1.5" and now we are on "2.0"). Now whilst there are plenty of owners of early cars who have NOT had gearbox problems, unfortunately those who have had them have tended to had them painfully. So it is worth avoiding the early cars, however since you already stated you want a facelift then you will. However I am not sure exactly when the latest gearbox went into production so if you start looking at one of the earliest facelift cars then you might need to check.

As to options, since my car is nearly fully loaded I am biased. I like all my options. Your issue is that since you are buying used you might not be able to find a car with the options you want. A good exampled is the sports differential. This is a fantastic bit of kit and capable of removing all understeer and even pushing the car into oversteer. But it is certainly rare in the UK - not sure about where you are. If you want advice about any of the options then ask as I probably have it. The notable ones that I didn't buy is a sunroof (I live in the UK!) and the TV tuner (I thought about having it but in the end decided it wasn't worth the money, and I haven't missed it - I didn't watch TV in my B5 S4 much).
DrEskimo and Toms Jankovskis like this.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)

post #4 of 16 Old 4th August 2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Deleted

Last edited by Toms Jankovskis; 30th September 2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 5th August 2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Deleted

post #6 of 16 Old 5th August 2016, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)

Garage
Nice choice in motor

The MY13 is the earliest you want to go for as they gearbox was changed in these. Stage 2, MRC do a package which I believe includes everything except an exhaust for about 1500 and they do have people travelling from all over the UK and Europe to have them do their magic on the cars.

A RS5 vs a stage 2 S5 is very close but the S5 does pip them as it does many other cars so you will not regret getting one and doing the stage 2 that is for sure.

I have had mine for about a year now and no major issues as far as I can recall and I use the car Understeer doesn't affect me on the road, on the track yes and I do drive hard and fast on the road but on the track the understeer is immense. I changed my suspension out which greatly helped to reduce the understeer but on track it will still be present.

Go for it, I love my car and although I keep hankering for change as I get bored very quickly I simply can not let her go

See my thread on my car since i got it here I have it!!!!

Audi S5 V6 Supercharged - Moby
- Ibis White Black edition - Stage 2 MRC Tuning 476bhp 576nm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 5th August 2016, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)

Garage
Tough call....if someone offered me a stage 2 upgrade or an RS5...I would probably go with the RS5 every time!

That being said, older car and higher running/repair costs would probably sway me to keeping the S5, if I sat down and thought realistically about owning one...

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #8 of 16 Old 5th August 2016, 03:46 AM
C.B

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Garage
There is plenty of high mileage pre 2013 V6 S5's that have not had their gearbox replaced as you would believe necessary on here.

I think this forum blows that problem way out of proportion, they did make improvements to try and prevent failures as manufacturers always do over the lifetime of a part but that doesnt mean the earlier models are a dead cert to fail.

I know of a 14 plate that failed so by this forums logic shouldnt you avoid the car all together?!?!
Jamin_00 and MattS5 like this.

2010 S5 Sportback V6T - Quartz Grey Pearl

Last edited by C.B; 5th August 2016 at 08:56 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 5th August 2016, 05:11 AM

Garage
You're right, since we only read about the failures it is natural to fear that the situation is worse than it really is, in terms of probability of failure. However the consequences can be severe - replacement of the whole box - so in a way you are right: If a buyer doesn't get extended warranty or isn't able to find the funds for gearbox replacement then maybe s-tronic cars should indeed be avoided.

post #10 of 16 Old 7th August 2016, 02:55 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Garage
May I please ask a dumb question???? Thanks.

I have yet to get my head around the various gearboxes you guys mention, S Tronic and all that. My car is a very early 3.2FSI 2WD with a lovely auto which has 8 speeds, but no paddles. What is my box called please?? Mine had 130k very unloved kms when I found her looking really scruffy, now I am at 150k and the engine and gearbox seem sound as a pound. Should I be worried???

My car is standard with just an K&N air filter. Cheers!!!

2008 A5 coupe, silver, 3.2 V6 FSI 2WD with 19" wheels and Pirelli P-Zeros. 156,000km. Leather interior, auto box, S Line. Love it !!
Had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished and rear badges removed. Just fitted the pedal box booster thing too.....makes Sport redundant.
post #11 of 16 Old 7th August 2016, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)

Garage
The 8 spd is not s Tronic as his is what the new s5 has. Can't recall what it's called though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi S5 V6 Supercharged - Moby
- Ibis White Black edition - Stage 2 MRC Tuning 476bhp 576nm

post #12 of 16 Old 8th August 2016, 07:00 AM

Garage
There are 4 main types of automatic gearbox:
1) Automatic clutch - like a manual except the clutch operation is powered
2) Dual clutch - as 1 but the odd and even gears have their own clutches so change is quicker
3) Torque converter - uses oil to transfer torque between the engine flywheel and the gear mechanism
4) Continuously variable - uses an adjustable ratio belt drive instead of gears

Audi's tiptronic is type 3. I'm not sure if the ones without steering wheel paddles are still called tiptronic but they are the same, just that only the gear lever can be used for manual changes. I believe that all the 8 speed boxes are this type.

Audi's s-tronic is type 2.

Audi's multitronic is type 4.

I doubt that Audi do type 1 since type 3 effectively replaced that technology.

post #13 of 16 Old 11th August 2016, 06:09 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
There are 4 main types of automatic gearbox:
1) Automatic clutch - like a manual except the clutch operation is powered
2) Dual clutch - as 1 but the odd and even gears have their own clutches so change is quicker
3) Torque converter - uses oil to transfer torque between the engine flywheel and the gear mechanism
4) Continuously variable - uses an adjustable ratio belt drive instead of gears

Audi's tiptronic is type 3. I'm not sure if the ones without steering wheel paddles are still called tiptronic but they are the same, just that only the gear lever can be used for manual changes. I believe that all the 8 speed boxes are this type.

Audi's s-tronic is type 2.

Audi's multitronic is type 4.

I doubt that Audi do type 1 since type 3 effectively replaced that technology.
Thanks Dippy very clear and precise. So far so good mine is fantastic.

2008 A5 coupe, silver, 3.2 V6 FSI 2WD with 19" wheels and Pirelli P-Zeros. 156,000km. Leather interior, auto box, S Line. Love it !!
Had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished and rear badges removed. Just fitted the pedal box booster thing too.....makes Sport redundant.
post #14 of 16 Old 16th August 2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Deleted

post #15 of 16 Old 16th August 2016, 11:24 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
In general, IF they are looked after, kms or miles does not seem to be a major problem to be honest. My 3.2FSI had 130,000 kms on and was really neglected (as in really not well looked after, interior was worn and tyres bald etc) but so far so good, I have done 20k km in a year and she flies!!!!!. Zero oil consumption too. Great motor and gearbox. Good luck!!!

post #16 of 16 Old 23rd August 2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Deleted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode