Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 & S5 Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2010, 10:06 AM   #1

TiDo is on a distinguished road
Default Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Has anyone use the new Michelin Pilot Sport 3? In the presentation of this tyre between the test car was a Silver Audi A5.
Any recomendations? Would you prefer it instead of Continental Sport Contact 3?

2009 A5 1.8TFSI Meteor Grey
TiDo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:17 AM   #2

Alejandro is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alejandro

I use them.
So far so good.

MTM A5 3.0 TDI l Quartz Gray l 6 speed manual l S-Line l B&O, MMI l 310BHP/640NM l MTM M-Cantronic Unit l MTM Exhaust System l MTM Rear Silencer l MTM Front Grill l OEM S5 Mirrors lV-Max 175MPH
Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th April 2010, 02:11 AM   #3

scratch113 is on a distinguished road

TiDo,
Have a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk - although not perfect as many of the winter tyres leap to the top of their ranking from just 1 person's review, the PS3 is the first UHP tyre with a decent number of reviews (only 9 though) and second after that is the PS2, with 66 reviews. The 3 scores 91% overall and the 2 scores 89%. The website has good links to other tyre reviews such as Evo Magazine from 2007, Auto Zeitung from 2009 and Auto Bild UHP test from this year - the Continental SportContact 5P came out top in the most recent one, although I think this is brand-new, so might be more difficult to source.

As I said, not a perfect website, but a good source of info of what other (real world) drivers think of various tyres. I put 4 new PS3s on my wife's VW Touran (225/45R17, fwd) and would say that so far they are excellent, and if I can afford it will certainly go for them next on my A5, although the Continental SportContact 3s I've got at the moment have only done around 7k miles, so hope I'll get another 15-20k or so...

Hope this helps.

Audi history:
95-98 A4 1.8T Sport; 98-03 A4 2.8 Quattro; 03-07 S4 4.2 Quattro (all saloons)
Now own: A5 3.0 TDi Sport | Phantom Black | Black Milano leather | heated seats | 19" Y alloys | B&O | DVD Satnav+ | AMI | Parking+ | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Cruise | Interior light pack
Mods added: Luggage hooks | Boot side net | Hoen fogs | Bluefin remap | Milltek exhaust | Refurbished alloys
scratch113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th April 2010, 05:52 AM   #4

Thank you all.. I will come back with reviews..

Old 29th April 2010, 08:09 AM   #5

MHPHOCKEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MHPHOCKEY

PS3s are INCREDIBLE

CURRENT:
2014 Audi S5 3.0T Cabriolet | Phantom Black Metallic/Black Nappa Leather | Premium Plus | MMI Nav Plus | Sport Diff. | Adaptive Dampening Suspension | B&O Sound | 19" 5-Spoke S Wheels | Carbon Atlas | Supercharged Badges | 35% Tint

MHPHOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th January 2011, 09:45 AM   #6

N10CKK is on a distinguished road
Default re Michelin tyres

I'm at 32,000 miles on my S5. I am just going to PS3s having had PS2s. The car was supplied with Dunlop Sportmaxx GTs which, although thought the best tyre currently (and I have to say it was fantastic in the dry, and gave me 20k miles), were so dangerous in standing water once they had a few thousand miles on them that I vowed never to have a set again. The PS2s were almost indistinguishable in terms of dry performance, but WAY better in proper wet conditions. I am going to PS3s since they promise same or better all round performance as the PS2s, but better wear. I only got 12k out of the PS2s, which was disappointing at £260 per corner.

UK S5 Tip/phantom black/pearl/carbon
N10CKK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th January 2011, 02:40 PM   #7

MonzaA5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch113 View Post
As I said, not a perfect website, but a good source of info of what other (real world) drivers think of various tyres. I put 4 new PS3s on my wife's VW Touran (225/45R17, fwd) and would say that so far they are excellent
You put UHP tires on...a minivan?? Am I missing something?
MonzaA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th January 2011, 06:05 PM   #8

acowabunga is on a distinguished road

N10: If you can wait a few months, I recently read that Michelin is coming out with a Pilot Super Sport that is supposed to be better than the PS3. I'm not sure on the wear ratings but if it's better, I'd be willing to wait for the new tires.
acowabunga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12th January 2011, 10:52 AM   #9

Just fitted today, 4 brand-new 255/35R19 96Y Michelin PS3 (AO, which is the Audi-specific fit).

Fitted by Kwikfit (yes, I know!) for an amazing price of £820 fitted and balanced, including VAT. Next nearest quote was £1005 from the local independent tyre fitter down here in the SW, Bathwick Tyres, who I have used loads in the past as they are normally the cheapest. The bill from Kwikfit says on the bottom of it "...you saved £465 today"!

The only thing I would say is that it took nearly an hour and three quarters for them to fit them (althought they were quite busy), so felt more like Slowfit rather than Kwikfit! Seem to have done a good job though.

They replaced the Continental Sport Contact 3s I've had for just over a year, but they were all 4 completely worn out after just 12k miles whereas previous sets (Dunlop originals and Goodyear second set) both lasted around 28k miles, so I'm hoping the Michelins will last longer than the Contis!

Audi history:
Now own: A5 3.0 TDi Sport | Phantom Black | Black Milano leather | heated seats | 19" Y alloys | B&O | DVD Satnav+ | AMI | Parking+ | Hill Hold | Adaptive lights | Cruise | Interior light pack
Mods added: Luggage hooks | Boot side net | Hoen fogs | Bluefin remap | Milltek exhaust | Refurbished alloys
Old 12th January 2011, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonzaA5 View Post
You put UHP tires on...a minivan?? Am I missing something?
Each to their own, but those 4 little patches of rubber are the only things keeping you in contact with the road, so I'm of the opinion that they're worth getting the best you can afford, and they were a good deal (25% off at the time, so worked out at just over £105 each for 225/45R17).

Our Touran is a 2.0TDi 170PS DSG, so is fairly sprightly and it is based on a Golf platform, and I'm sure you wouldn't question someone who put those tyres on a Golf GT TDi 170...

Audi history:
Old 12th January 2011, 11:09 AM   #11

kenny is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping my conti's last more than 12k!!!!
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12th January 2011, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Just fitted today, 4 brand-new 255/35R19 96Y Michelin PS3 (AO, which is the Audi-specific fit).

Fitted by Kwikfit (yes, I know!) for an amazing price of £820 fitted and balanced, including VAT. Next nearest quote was £1005 from the local independent tyre fitter down here in the SW, Bathwick Tyres, who I have used loads in the past as they are normally the cheapest. The bill from Kwikfit says on the bottom of it "...you saved £465 today"!

The only thing I would say is that it took nearly an hour and three quarters for them to fit them (althought they were quite busy), so felt more like Slowfit rather than Kwikfit! Seem to have done a good job though.

They replaced the Continental Sport Contact 3s I've had for just over a year, but they were all 4 completely worn out after just 12k miles whereas previous sets (Dunlop originals and Goodyear second set) both lasted around 28k miles, so I'm hoping the Michelins will last longer than the Contis!
What means "AO, which is the Audi-specific fit"? can you explain?

Old 12th January 2011, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiDo View Post
What means "AO, which is the Audi-specific fit"? can you explain?
The AO is a marking put on by Michelin to show that those tyres were specifically developed further from standard (usually slight change to compound) in conjunction with Audi, specifically for fitting on Audi cars. Michelin will also have a Mercedes, BMW, etc. version. These are the only ones Audi would use as OEM Tyres, if it were Michelin they happened to fit. In my case the original Tyres were Dunlop Sport Maxx but I don't know if Dunlop do the same thing.

Have a look on Black Circles and you'll get prices for different versions of the same tyre, depending on which manufacturer they are developed for. Specifically there are about 4 versions of the Michelin PS2 if you get prices for 255/35R19 Y rated.

Audi history:
Old 12th January 2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Super Moderator

zee007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The AO is a marking put on by Michelin to show that those tyres were specifically developed further from standard (usually slight change to compound) in conjunction with Audi, specifically for fitting on Audi cars. Michelin will also have a Mercedes, BMW, etc. version. These are the only ones Audi would use as OEM Tyres, if it were Michelin they happened to fit. In my case the original Tyres were Dunlop Sport Maxx but I don't know if Dunlop do the same thing.

Have a look on Black Circles and you'll get prices for different versions of the same tyre, depending on which manufacturer they are developed for. Specifically there are about 4 versions of the Michelin PS2 if you get prices for 255/35R19 Y rated.

That's actually really good info - and something I never knew... so cheers!

- Zee

MY2013 Allroad | Midnight Blue | Sport Interior | S-Line Suspension | Recaro Babyseats | Rotiform | Eurocode | Stasis | H&R | AFE | OEM+ | Tint
[/COLOR]
Retired: MY2010 S5 | Sprint Blue | Alcantara | Black Optic | B&O | BBS | Eibach | Stasis | B&B | H&R | PIAA | E-codes | OEM mods | Tint

Been there, Done that: Silverstone F1 circuit, Spa Francorchamps, Magny Cours, Donnington Park, Virgina International Raceway and the mighty Nürburgring
zee007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13th January 2011, 04:09 AM   #15

57PDH is on a distinguished road

I changed to the PS3's 3k ago. Did have Pirelli Rosso but they only lasted 14k so hopefully these will last longer.
Must say though that the PS3's are far superior that the Rosso, better dry and much better wet grip.
Strangely my PS3's are R01 - which is again Audi specific.
Not sure what th edifference is between the A0 and R01!

Regards 57PDH

2.0 Tdi Quattro S-Line ¦ SOLD
57PDH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13th January 2011, 04:40 AM   #16

Quote:

Very nice info. Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.