Active Cruise - how to tell if it's fitted - Page 2 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 Old 6th January 2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)

Garage
I could live without the 'Lane Assist' but not the ACC. I only ordered it because the 'Assist Package' that includes ACC & Lane Assist, was cheaper than ordering the ACC alone.
Yes, your right the windscreen has a separate camera for the 'Lane Assist' & also does not have a tinted top as all A5/S5/RS5's without 'Lane Assist' have a tinted top windscreen.
Jamin_00 likes this.

His 2015 A5 Sportback 3.0, quattro Black Edition Plus. Ibis, Assist Pack, Convenience Pack, Birch Inlays, Heat F+R seats, Storage Pack, Park Advanced, Tel Prep High, Adaptive Lights, Sunroof, Int. Light Pack.
Hers: 2014 A5 Cabriolet 3.0, quattro S-line Special Edition. 20" RS alloys, Heat F+R seats, Park Plus, Int. Light Pack, Piano Black Inlays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 6th January 2016, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Lane assist: new windshield, camera and cover and vibrating motor in steering column. Not very hard to retrofit either as far as I can tell. Not many wiring required either.

A5 Coupé '08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contact me for rear LED adapters and other wire harnasses for retrofitting.
post #33 of 39 Old 6th January 2016, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baas J. View Post
new windshield....Not very hard to retrofit...
Im beginning to think that 'not very hard to retrofit' is a very relative term...!

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black

post #34 of 39 Old 6th January 2016, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baas J. View Post
Lane assist: new windshield, camera and cover and vibrating motor in steering column. Not very hard to retrofit either as far as I can tell. Not many wiring required either.

What about the gadgetry that actually moves the steering wheel to make the car move away from the white line? That much mean a different steering column or something?
DavidS likes this.

Current - BMW 'F10' 530d M Sport - Carbon Black - Oyster Leather - Media Pack - ACC Pack - M Sport 'Plus' Pack - H/K Surround - Adaptive Headlights - High Beam Assist - M Rear Spoiler - M Performance Grills - Digital Instrument Cluster

Gone - Audi S5 SB - 3.0T - Misano Red - All Black Interior - Tech Pack High - Assistance Pack - Sound Pack - ADS/DamperControl/Sports Diff - BlackEd Touches - Storage Pack - Light Pack - RS5 20" Rotors
post #35 of 39 Old 6th January 2016, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
Im beginning to think that 'not very hard to retrofit' is a very relative term...!
Ofcourse a new windshield is not something you retrofit yourself but at Carglass or a company like that.

A5 Coupé '08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contact me for rear LED adapters and other wire harnasses for retrofitting.
post #36 of 39 Old 7th January 2016, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
Not a fan of lane assist. I sometimes have it on "just in case" but then it annoys me when, say, overtaking on the motorway you complete the manoeuvre I don't generally indicate back into the inside lane unless traffic is particularly heavy. Which leads to a gentle tussle with the wheel as I've not used the indicator.
So you prefer to 'tussle' with the steering wheel instead of indicating?

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #37 of 39 Old 7th January 2016, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
So you prefer to 'tussle' with the steering wheel instead of indicating?
Haha, a slight misquote I feel.

In most cases of course I use the indicators. But when I was learning to drive advanced driving wisdom was that if there was nothing else around you didn't indicate. So in certain, specific, circumstances no, I don't always use the indicators - see the examples in my original comment.

Note that I'm not saying I'm an advanced driver, just those were amongst the pointers passed to me at that time, things may well have changed.

Also there are other exceptions such as through road works where, even if the original lines are blacked out, it sometimes tries to remain on the original lane rather than moving in/out with the temporary markings, again leading to that tussle to get it to go where you want and not plough into the car next to you.

Bear in mind that it is only ever that, a tussle, it's never dangerous and just being firm keeps you going where you want.

The point being that I can't think of a single time that it has "saved" me, only the times it annoyed me. With ACC/Braking guard it throws the odd false positive too, but generally they are understandable and there was one occasion where it might have prevented a shunt, hence, for me, I see the value in it.

Current: MY2013 S5 Coupe, Estoril Blue, a number of toys.
Previous: MY2010 A5 Sportback S-Line 3.0 TDI quattro s-tronic - Ibis White, Tech Pack 2 (Nav, AMI, Adaptive Cruise Control), B&O, 20" '7-arm double spoke' design alloy wheels, heated front seats, Bluetooth.
post #38 of 39 Old 7th January 2016, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)

Garage
Actually I didn't mean it that way I had an advanced driver lesson a few years ago and remember that was one tip I was given - if there are no cars around then no need to indicate. I am genuinely asking if you prefer to 'overcome' the force on the steering wheel as ALA intervenes rather than indicate, knowing that the indication will prevent that force? I guess I'm the same as you, if I have just overtaken a car then I see no need to indicate when pulling back in, however if ALA is on then I certainly will indicate as it's not really much effort is it?
Shrek and DavidS like this.

Current: 2015 Audi S5 sportback black edition (MRC stage 2)
Previous: 2001 Audi B5 S4 avant (modified)
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX (wrapped around a tree)
post #39 of 39 Old 7th January 2016, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Actually I didn't mean it that way I had an advanced driver lesson a few years ago and remember that was one tip I was given - if there are no cars around then no need to indicate.
Well... I suppose I should get off my high horse then.

Quote:
I am genuinely asking if you prefer to 'overcome' the force on the steering wheel as ALA intervenes rather than indicate, knowing that the indication will prevent that force? I guess I'm the same as you, if I have just overtaken a car then I see no need to indicate when pulling back in, however if ALA is on then I certainly will indicate as it's not really much effort is it?
If I remember it's on I do indicate to prevent the tussle, but it's when I revert to 'unassisted' driving but it's still engaged that it catches me out. So in short, no, if it's on I will indicate if I remember, but then it's indicating for the sake of it sometimes.

Current: MY2013 S5 Coupe, Estoril Blue, a number of toys.
Previous: MY2010 A5 Sportback S-Line 3.0 TDI quattro s-tronic - Ibis White, Tech Pack 2 (Nav, AMI, Adaptive Cruise Control), B&O, 20" '7-arm double spoke' design alloy wheels, heated front seats, Bluetooth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode