Adding passenger grab bar - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 Performance & Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2012, 01:10 AM   #1

jfrank824 is on a distinguished road
Default Adding passenger grab bar

Hi everyone,
I have a 2010 A5 Coupe, and my wife has asked me to add a grab bar on the passenger side of the car. Can anyone suggest ways in which this can be done?
Thanks,
Jonathan
jfrank824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 18th December 2012, 03:42 AM   #2

JonnieB is on a distinguished road

Click image for larger version

Name:	grab.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	17255

joking aside I am not sure if it is that easy to add it. I would have to take a look on Elsawin workshop manual and see if the bolt holes are already there under the roof lining.

Audi A5 TFSI
Mods: Rieger RS Bumper (cw headlight washers) - OEM RS Grille - Stone Deflectors - Rotor Alloys - Xenons - Self levelling - Chrome Mirror Covers - LED interior Lights - K&N Filter - Fiscon Bluetooth - Tinted Windows - RS diffuser - custom exhaust, black chrome tips - LED Plate Lights - Carbon Fibre Trim - Chrome Audi Ashtray - XCARLINK - DVB-TV tuner - Sline seats - Rear & Front camera - RS boot.
JonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 04:29 AM   #3

East Haddam is on a distinguished road

Are we talking about a grab bar on the dashboard area of your car or an 'assist handle' above the passenger window frame. Dash mounted grab bars usually run into problems by virtue of air bags being mounted in the same area.
Struck me as odd how so many other cars, some selling for thousands less, have overhead assist handles on both sides up front while Audi didn't think they were needed in their sports coupe.
RB
East Haddam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 05:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to add an assist handle above the passenger window frame.
Old 18th December 2012, 06:04 AM   #5

ageorgiou1984 is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about one of these?

A5 Coupe 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport, 6 Speed Manual, Kingfisher Blue, 19" Y Spoke Alloys, S5 White Leather Interior with Heating, Sat Nav, B & O, AMI, Bluetooth, Parking Aid, Advanced Keyless Entry, Hill Hold Assist, Cruise Control, MTM Remap & Exhaust.
ageorgiou1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Banned
Supporting Member

S4 EVV is an unknown quantity at this point

Zimmer frame ??
S4 EVV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 06:34 AM   #7

Yes -- that is what I was looking for. Apparently , the grab handles were not included in A5s with a moon-roof.
Old 18th December 2012, 06:54 AM   #8

ageorgiou1984 is on a distinguished road

As JonnieB said above, fitting a grab handle will not be easy.

Even if the bolt holes are behind the the roof liner you've still got the issue of your roof lining not being recessed to accommodate the handle.

A5 Coupe 3.0 TDi Quattro Sport, 6 Speed Manual, Kingfisher Blue, 19" Y Spoke Alloys, S5 White Leather Interior with Heating, Sat Nav, B & O, AMI, Bluetooth, Parking Aid, Advanced Keyless Entry, Hill Hold Assist, Cruise Control, MTM Remap & Exhaust.
ageorgiou1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 10:24 AM   #9

IZlondon is on a distinguished road

johnathan..easier solution ..
blind fold her so she cant see how bad your driving is..
IZlondon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 10:34 AM   #10

rackingman is on a distinguished road

and seeing how no one else has mentioned, it, offer to let her hold onto something else..

could get messy if you are a stop/start driver tho......
rackingman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 10:38 AM   #11

given that you cannot get a roof lining with both aperture for moonroof and recess for handle, it is going to get difficult, unless you use one of these suckers on the window....

Old 18th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #12

Thanks for the suggestion on the suction cap handle. I had thought about that earlier and called our local auto-glass shop for their thoughts. The guy said in his opinion it would put too much pressure on the glass and could be dangerous. The other idea I had was to use the grab bars made for Jeep roll bars, and affix these between the top of the door frame and the window. When I tested that idea out on the Audi service guy, he warned that the window safety mechanism would reverse when the window detected the velcro straps. So still stuck.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank824 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on the suction cap handle. I had thought about that earlier and called our local auto-glass shop for their thoughts. The guy said in his opinion it would put too much pressure on the glass and could be dangerous. The other idea I had was to use the grab bars made for Jeep roll bars, and affix these between the top of the door frame and the window. When I tested that idea out on the Audi service guy, he warned that the window safety mechanism would reverse when the window detected the velcro straps. So still stuck.
out of interest which side of the pond are you from?
Old 18th December 2012, 11:35 AM   #14

Originally Glasgow, now Boston.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank824 View Post
Originally Glasgow, now Boston.
Boston lincolnshire?
Old 18th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #16

izola, dont think the original bostonians would a) call a sunroof a moonroof b) be in the least bit concerned about their wifes request for a grab handle......

and i was taking the piss with the suction handle.......sorry.
Old 18th December 2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Banned
Supporting Member

S4 EVV is an unknown quantity at this point

Why does she need a grab handle for, is she old and infirm or something?
Any 'loving' wife normally grabs your balls and handle, not the car's
S4 EVV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 05:10 PM   #18

Okocha-No10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
izola, dont think the original bostonians would a) call a sunroof a moonroof b) be in the least bit concerned about their wifes request for a grab handle......

and i was taking the piss with the suction handle.......sorry.

Racks,

I think he's been living over there for too long. As soon as I saw that picture I knew what you were up to

Audi A5 3.0 V6 TDi quattro S Line: Phantom Black, Titan Grey Seven Arm Double Spoke 20" Alloys, Tiptronic, HDD Sat Nav, Black Valcona Leather Memory Seats, Heated F&R, B&O, DAB, Tech High Pack, Parking System Advanced, Light & Storage Pack, Privacy Glass, Folding Auto Diming Door Mirrors, Adv Key, ACC & Brake Guard,...Mods: Optic Black Fog Trims, Optic Black Grill, Black Vinyl trim, Rear LED Lights.
Okocha-No10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th December 2012, 05:45 PM   #19

DeepSeattleBlue is on a distinguished road

<tracks thread>

I've been wanting the same thing. When I get chauffeured around, I like resting my hand/arm in that position. I always find myself reaching for it
DeepSeattleBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th December 2012, 05:59 AM   #20

I wonder how much Audi saves on each A5 by not including the over window assist handles? My wife's new VW TDI Sportswagon with power sun roof (full function and a whole lot larger that the roof in an A5) has assist handles so we know that it can be done especially with Audi and VW being, shall we say, related?
Audi, once the poster child for well thought out and elegant interiors seems willing to give up that enviable title to tout a lower MSRP. I'd bet it costs less to put in assist handles in an A5 than it costs Audi to give us those ever so useful leather covered automatic shift handles .
RB
Old 19th December 2012, 11:21 AM   #21

mr haddam, dont think they are looking to reduce ticket price, but to increase profit....

we were stunned to find a "prestige" car in 2012 didnt have a light in the glove box... fortunately we were stunned before we bought it so ticked the box for the light pack.....

to be fair, that got us all the other lights and twinkly bits, and puddle lights, that were standard on the 2006 saab....and on my 2012 frod fucus.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:22 PM   #22

TrikieD is on a distinguished road

I know they say the British like to complain but I'm really having trouble telling these threads apart now. They all merge into one another with a moan about how terrible it is that Audi don't fit as standard feature X which has been standard for 100 years on random vehicles Y and Z.

Maybe we should just get over it. It's not as if someone is coming and taking off the parts after the car is bought!
TrikieD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th December 2012, 12:48 PM   #23

trikster, you are absolutely correct, if you do some basic research you know what to expect and what you need to add at your cost to match the specification to a "lesser" car.

likewise some basic research would tell you not to expect anything like the published fuel economy.

and if you buy a coupe with no gutters, the water on the roof will piss in when you open the door and sit in the car

amazing we still do it, eh?

and if we blocked all such posts, and the ones asking questions which could be answered by reading the manual, brochure or website, and my irrelavent nonsense, we would be down to 3 posts a week...
Old 19th December 2012, 01:07 PM   #24

TrikieD is on a distinguished road

I've no problem with the research people do - other than always being amazed that folk can part with lucre without doing it, but c'est la vle. Ditto with the manual though I definitely don't understand that one.

It's the random comparisons with other cars that are beginning to blur into one. Just because car X has a feature, why should your Audi? Just what makes that a "lesser" car rather than just a sifferent one? And the opposite comparison never seems to be made. For example, my 2007 BMW didn't have a spare wheel. How dare Audi waste money putting one in the A5?
TrikieD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19th December 2012, 03:49 PM   #25

Trikie, you can throw a spare wheel in the trunk of a car not equipped with a spare and use it [if needed] but you can't throw a couple of assist handles in an A5 and expect to use them with any success. How about all the fat asses in the world that will never get a chance to drive an A5 Audi because if they ever got in one they would never be able to get out -------- because there are no damn assist handles . Have we no compassion ?
RB
Old 19th December 2012, 11:53 PM   #26

hey, given the number of posts re squashed bolsters, perhaps audi deliberately delete the handles to heep the fat arses out?
Old 20th December 2012, 04:59 AM   #27

You might be right. We don't seem to have as many A5's in the States as you folks do. Might have something to do with the fact that we're well known for growing them pretty wide over here in fast food heaven. We do have tons of trucks, I mean SUV's. Go figure.
RB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.