2L TFSI K03 or K04 - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 Performance & Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2012, 01:52 AM   #1

monster is on a distinguished road
Default 2L TFSI K03 or K04

Hello all,

i recently purchased the new facelift Audi A5 quattro with the 7speed double clutch S-tronic gearbox, putting out std 211hp and 350nm of torque.

I have already done an ecu reflash by IC chip tuning from Switzerland, performance is defentially a huge boost compared to std but not near what i want.

(Mind you i have a 2-ton truck pushing out 500hp and 1000nm of torque from a stupidly small 3.2L 4cyl turbo diesel)

so my question here, how much different is the K04 from the K03, has anyone tried to just modify the internals (shaft, bearings, turbine wheel and compressor wheel) of the K03 to be a K04? (as from my information, the housings and dimensions are the same but the internals are different. worst case you might need to mill the compressor housing and turbine housing to make it a little bigger to suit).

being a modification enthuasit i also want to ask, is the K04 really the best turbo upgrade out there? power levels of 350hp is good enough, i believe the s-tronic can handle 550nm of torque which puts the K04 in the safe area.

i am also a big fan of the IHI RHF55 turbocharger, borgwarner S200 series, mitsubishi TD05h-16g small, (same as the evo).

any insight would help alot thanks!

Horsepower sell's cars, Torque win's races!
monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Wah

Wah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Wah

Not plenty of information regarding turbo upgrades on this forum, but you may want to read this thread.

K04 puts you at around 270 - 280 whp range which should translate to about 350 hp. RAI has come out with a turbo upgrade capable of 300 - 330 whp.

Use the search. You may find what you're looking for.

2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Sline Custom Mats | H&R | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17th October 2012, 08:46 PM   #3

Thanks,

the thread was for the A4...
has anyone done the k04 or other turbo swap on the a5?

just to be clear is the A5 2l TFSI a longitudinal or transverse engine?

Old 17th October 2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Mizo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Thanks,

just to be clear is the A5 2l TFSI a longitudinal or transverse engine?

Check out this conversion from APR:

APR Audi B8 A4/A5 & Q5 2.0 TFSI Valvelift S3 K04 Conversion Package
Mizo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17th October 2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Wah

Wah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Irrelevant. It is VERY similar!

2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Sline Custom Mats | H&R | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18th October 2012, 05:43 AM   #6

SanMiguel is on a distinguished road

It depends on your definition of "best turbo upgrade". If you're strictly after more power, then I'd follow some of the ideas on that other thread. As you noted, the K04 is the same size as our stock turbo. Going true "big turbo" with a custom tune will give you way more power than the K04 route. I use my car as a daily driver, and I chose the K04 for the long-term reliability factor.

The APR link Mizo provided is the same one I have, and the B8 A4/A5 and Q5 all use the same 2.0 TFSI longitudinal motors. The transverse mount is used on A3 and TT.

As far as differences, I went from stock to K04. It was a major improvement for me, and I have no regrets!

2011 A5 Prestige S-Line Deep Sea Blue APR K04 APR 93 ECU Tune Okada Plasma Direct EuroCode FMIC APR Carbonio APR Downpipes / High-Flow Cat E-Codes S5 Grill AutoBahnStyling Mirror Covers Llumar CTX 40% / Air Blue 80% 20" BBS CX-R Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 275/30/20 B&G S2 Adam's Rotors Stoptech SS Brake Lines H&R Rear Sway Hoen Xenonmatch Tunerdomes AWE Quad Exhaust
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 8th November 2012, 10:10 PM   #7

I believe the main issue is the transmission.

yes the engine can be built to withstand 500hp quite reliably however getting the double clutch 7 speed box to handle torque levels that exceed 600nm-700nm would need parts that as of yet i have not seen available for anyone.

Old 19th November 2012, 09:50 PM   #8

cybonic is on a distinguished road

check this link out

SSP Auto Salon, LLC - 02E/DSG Performance Clutches (Direct Shift Gearbox)

2011 Phantom Black Audi A5 2.0TFSI Quattro
HKS Mushroom Filter Red Limited Edition / EuroCode Turbo Inlet Hose / EuroCode High Flow Intercooler Pipe / EuroCode Intercooler Hose Kit / Supersprint Quad Tips Catback / Black Optic Grille / Blackout Chrome Trimmings / KW V1 / H&R DRA 20MM/20MM / Vossen CV5 Replica 19x9.5J / White LED Interior & Exterior Conversion / Defi Racer Boost Gauge / 6K Headlights & 6K Fogs / Debadged / MTM Stage 1 / Rieger Bodykit / Hofele Boot Lip
cybonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28th November 2012, 09:36 AM   #9

pitch3110 is on a distinguished road

Wifeys ED30 Golf GTI had a K04 and it was markedly quicker than a standard GTI with 30bhp more. It just did not run out of puff and kept pulling strong into the red

Ta
Pitch
pitch3110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.