Retrofit auto dimming rear view mirror - Page 5 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 169 Old 20th August 2014, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

bump can you guys see the pictures in my post above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 169 Old 10th September 2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbe View Post
Hi guys, just followed the guide without success.

I have I believe a Q7 mirror as it has 6 wires, there doesn't appear to be a white wire. Having fitted it, and not working. I took it off and the wire appears to be grey.

The wires on the new mirror are: pink, green, yellow, brown, black and grey.

Help to id the correct wires will be appreciated.
The BLACK wire splices onto the original BROWN wire and the PINK wire splices onto the original RED wire.
I've just fitted mine and it works

2010 Audi A5 Cabriolet 2.0TFSI (211) Manual
post #123 of 169 Old 17th September 2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
The BLACK wire splices onto the original BROWN wire and the PINK wire splices onto the original RED wire.
I've just fitted mine and it works
Hi Bill

thank you for following this up. I've still got the mirror and its not yet fitted as I didn't have the know how to figure it out.

Will get it done this weekend after your help
Regards Garbe.
post #124 of 169 Old 4th October 2014, 08:41 AM

Hi guys, hoping you can help as I've a few little questions about this.

I've just got an auto dim mirror and just wanted to check I'm not doing anything daft?

I've taken my old mirror off and there is a metal clip at the base which I'm not sure what it does, it is connected to the plug that goes down the headlining...

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412436980884.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	56753

This connects to a block with part number 8K0 907 658 which I've worked out is the rain sensor. My new mirror doesn't have this, should it have or should I not worry? Is it covered in the mirror for dimming?

Also the base seems different , the new one is 4 prongs and the old is 3 where it twists.

Have a bought the wrong one? New part number is 8T0 857 511

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412437269277.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	56761  

Last edited by RichCranney; 4th October 2014 at 08:50 AM.
post #125 of 169 Old 4th October 2014, 08:57 AM

Actually reading up a bit, its a no starter I think as I need the 3 point version as I don't have the base plate.

Does anyone want to swap a 3 point version for a 4 point?

I plugged this mirror in and it works straight away so no splicing needed
post #126 of 169 Old 12th October 2014, 01:44 PM

How can I tell if I have rain sensing windscreen?

I have an A5 3.0 litre Quatto Special Edition.
post #127 of 169 Old 16th October 2014, 04:54 AM

Garage
I've read through this entire thread, and looked at a few others, but could not find an answer to my specific situation. Hoping someone can assist.

My car is a late 2010 A5 Cab, with very few options (low spec?). Single zone heat, No auto wipers, No Nav, etc. My mirror has NO wires at all.

I would like to install an auto dimming mirror with compass. (actually more interested in the compass than the dimming feature).

Can anyone recommend the best mirror (part number) for my application? and perhaps some advise as to where to tap into the power and ground?

Thanks, Paul
post #128 of 169 Old 18th October 2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeeuk99 View Post
How can I tell if I have rain sensing windscreen?

I have an A5 3.0 litre Quatto Special Edition.
Because your window wipers will operate on their own automatically adjusting to how heavy the rain fall is.

When its not raining, move you window wiper stick up one, they will turn on but as its not raining they will not operate anymore if you have the auto ones

And what does the compass do on this auto dimming mirror??

Audi S5 V6 Supercharged - Moby
- Ibis White Black edition - Stage 2 MRC Tuning 476bhp 576nm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #129 of 169 Old 19th October 2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin_00 View Post
Because your window wipers will operate on their own automatically adjusting to how heavy the rain fall is.

When its not raining, move you window wiper stick up one, they will turn on but as its not raining they will not operate anymore if you have the auto ones

And what does the compass do on this auto dimming mirror??
Lol, thanks...answers a question I had regarding the auto windscreen wipers.

According to my.audi and the vin number my car has the rain sensor (seems to be bundled with the auto lights), I just wasn't sure how it worked as the owners manual seemed to skip that part.

Will move them to position 1 when dry and see if they work.

Now if I could just figure out what bloody colour to buy for the autodimming rear view mirror.

Headlining is "Star Silver" and I think the mirror is lighter than the grey options.
post #130 of 169 Old 19th October 2014, 01:05 PM

Lucky!!! (might be a little premature).

Bought one with compass off Ebay.de for 55 (not including carriage), little expensive but has the compass so worth it.

Part Number: 8R0-857-511-C-Z62 (8R0857511CZ62)
8R0-857-511-C-Z62, 8R0857511CZ62, INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR WITH COMPASS AND AUTO DIM COLOR STAR SILVER

Probably have to bugger about with the wiring to get the compass working but hopefully eclimax13's guide will make more sense once I have the new mirror, have dis-assembled the old one and am looking at both sets of wiring.

Last edited by Pudsley; 19th October 2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #131 of 169 Old 22nd October 2014, 08:05 AM

Posted this in another thread but figured it is of more use here so apologies for spamming both threads...

Just fitted mine, probably the easiest mod yet, easier than dipstick lol.

Though partly luck I guess, mine was plug and play.

Ordered off ebay.de for 55 auto dimming star silver with digital compass, whipped the old one off using fingers and no tools, drawing pin for the connector clips (tried this at work and didn't have my toolset.

Connected new one, everything working.

A5 Coupe 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro Sport

Phantom Black - 19" Y Spoke Alloys - Heated Seats - Heated Mirrors - Tri Zone Climate Control - Black Leather Interior - Star Silver Headlining - Cruise Control - Adaptive Xenons /w DRL - Auto Lights/Wipers -

Mods: Graphite Wheel Refurb, 17% Tail Light tint, Gloss Black RS Grille replacement, Full Interior LED light replacement, Number Plate LED's, Auto Dimming Rear View /w Digi Compass, H&R 20/25mm Black Wheel Spacers, LED Fogs
post #132 of 169 Old 20th November 2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
Gutted yet again I have just bought one off eBay for 70 it came it's off a 2014 but it's the 4 prong one mine is the 3 prong also the lead is shorter ��
post #133 of 169 Old 20th November 2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Garage
Think that was the one I was watching, a good price but the wiring was different on mines also, although it is a four prong. No doubt I could have retro fitted it, but not to good with electrics ect.
You should b able to sell it on mate, and at least get your money back, there was a three prong one for 35 but I think it's gone now.

JG

2012 A5 2.0tdi Black Edition, Bluetooth, cruise, RS4 pedals, LED interior lights & plates, de-badged, B&O, MFFBSW, Black boot lid rings, 15/20mm H&R spacers. 034 Transmission Mount. Bluefin Remap. Custom exhaust twin exit conversion. S5 front brakes. Pressed plates.
post #134 of 169 Old 20th November 2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
I'm sending it back to the seller which is good of them keep looking
post #135 of 169 Old 22nd November 2014, 09:47 AM

Connected my Auto Dimming mirror up today. My 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro didn't have a connector lurking in the headlining so I tapped in to the Power (red/white) and Ground (brown) supplies to the Rain and Light sensor as mentioned earlier in this thread.

The mirror works fine, but it appears that the supplies to the rain/light sensor are permanent live. The mirror is powered all the time, rather than only when the ignition is on. The red illumination of the on/off button is always on, even with the car locked and alarm set. If the mirror is switched on then the green light is always on, and the mirror dims in response to light.

Has anyone else found this?

Last edited by arlurt; 24th November 2014 at 02:16 AM.
post #136 of 169 Old 11th February 2015, 09:06 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I'm in a similar position with respect to the interior auto dimming rear view mirror (ADRVM).

I'm in the UK and I've an A5 Cab, built Nov/Dec 2013. While it's an S-Line that includes auto wipers and headlamps, it's also a "special edition" which I've since come to learn is Audi speak for "you don't get an auto dim RVM, ha, ha"
(not to mention the light they deleted from the glove box).

Anyway, so I've gone the slightly expensive route of a new mirror, which includes an 8 pin connector although it only has 6 pins. On my car, the sniffer appears to be located within the trim panel containing the reading/courtesy lights, as part of the header trim.

The new mirror has a grille, facing the windshield, behind which, judging by pictures I've found on the web the sniffer might be alternatively located (the difference between 2 and 3 zone CC ?)

I'm in the same situation as others with regard to the fact that when I removed the original mirror, I found only 3 wires running into the rain sensor. I haven't removed any of the header trim so far, that's on the immediate to-do list. I expect I'll find the sniffer housed between the reading/courtesy lights, which will again have it's own part of the interior wiring harness, leading directly into it. What I would like, but don't think I'll find, is a spare, male, 8 pin connector sitting up there waiting to be found.

That being the case, I'll have to find a way to properly integrate the new mirror into the harness and CAN system. I've started taking pictures, I'll post more when I have something more to add. For now, I'm a member of the slightly less lucky group who doesn't appear to be able to just "plug-n-play".
post #137 of 169 Old 16th February 2015, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Is it possible to fit a Audi A6 rear view mirror without the need to re-wire any pins ?

Or is it a straight swap ?

Audi A5 3.0 tdi quattro
Advanced Keyless Entry

Mods: RS5 Front and Rear Conversion - Full Exhaust with DPF Removed and Straight Down-pipe - LED interior Lights - LED Plate Lights - Piano black Trim - RS5 Leather electric seats Heated - Black headliner - Facelift Climate Control - LED Rear Lights -RS5 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel - Face-lift Gear Knob- 20 inch Ray-well Alloys - Eibach Springs
post #138 of 169 Old 27th June 2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Guys need your help! Ive read through all the pages, yet find myself utterly confused by all part numbers that are being mentioned.

Case: I have a '08 A5 with automatic wipers and rain sensor, the original mirror has three wires (Brown/black, red, yellow/violet) and has partnumber 8T0 857 511.
The connector on the car has the same wiring.
The foot of the mirror has 3 point clip.

Now, for gods sake, what mirror is the correct one for me, If I am right the next two types?

8RO 857 511 B (4PK - Soul black) - automatic anti dazzle
8R0 857 511 C (4PK - Soul black) - automatic anti dazzle + compass
post #139 of 169 Old 27th June 2015, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

The Mirror you have in your car is not auto dimming and so does not have any wires going into it... the 3 wires you speak of are the auto lights and rain sensor wires.

You can get either of those mirrors, based on what you want... if you want just auto dimming or if you also want the compass. The other thing you would need is the wiring harness to wire it into the car to achieve the auto dimming part. you can get the wiring harness from Kufatec who sell a 6 pin version and an 8 pin version. To determine which version you need you would need to get hold of the mirror first so order one and then go from there.

I have a black Auto dimming mirror with 3 prongs for sale, need to get some pics of it so il do that tomorrow along with the part number.
Baas J. likes this.

Audi-Retrofits
Pro Retrofitter

A5 Sportback 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line S-Tronic
FACTORY: Front & Rear Electric Heated Seats, 3G MMI High, Advance Key, Parking Plus, Light & Storage Pack
MODS: FBMFSW, RS5 Grill, Satin Red Trims, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, FL Tail Lights, Ambient Door Lights, LED Sills, S5 Spoiler, Starlight Roof, MMI 3G+, Digital TV & Loads More In Thread

post #140 of 169 Old 28th June 2015, 11:41 AM

Is it hard to wire it in? It must be wired to the panel where the courtesy lighting is in?
post #141 of 169 Old 28th June 2015, 05:18 PM

courtesy light?

Audi-Retrofits
Pro Retrofitter

FACTORY: Front & Rear Electric Heated Seats, 3G MMI High, Advance Key, Parking Plus, Light & Storage Pack
MODS: FBMFSW, RS5 Grill, Satin Red Trims, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, FL Tail Lights, Ambient Door Lights, LED Sills, S5 Spoiler, Starlight Roof, MMI 3G+, Digital TV & Loads More In Thread

post #142 of 169 Old 29th June 2015, 02:12 AM

No, nevermind, yesterday I checked and saw the wiring going to the A-pillar and not the courtesylighting panel, I mean the one with the reading lights.
post #143 of 169 Old 29th June 2015, 03:51 AM

The dimming side glass wiring goes from interior mirror to sides of car and down to bottom of a pillar, through door grommet into door and then to control module

Audi-Retrofits
Pro Retrofitter

post #144 of 169 Old 29th June 2015, 06:37 AM

@Ash187, whats that mirror gonna cost me? With only autodimming I just need to split wires I think i've read before? I do have the light and sight package, the sensor is in the housing of the mirror (3 wires).

The control unit is in the door?? The one where also you doorspeaker is attached to etc?
post #145 of 169 Old 1st July 2015, 03:48 PM

the mirror is 60 + delivery

yes there is a control unit behind the door card, thats where the wires go to.

Audi-Retrofits
Pro Retrofitter

post #146 of 169 Old 1st July 2015, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post

Hey Ash, can you supply the mirror at this price? Been looking for a light coloured one for my A5.

Cheers

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #147 of 169 Old 1st July 2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
Hey Ash, can you supply the mirror at this price? Been looking for a light coloured one for my A5.

Cheers

Like this?

2009 AUDI A4 B8 ALLROAD AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR COLOR N5W 8R0857511B | eBay

Audi-Retrofits
Pro Retrofitter

post #148 of 169 Old 1st July 2015, 11:47 PM

Garage
Ah yea! I was searching 'A5 Rear Mirror'. Thank you sir!

Will now do a bit of research on how to fit/check it's the right one

post #149 of 169 Old 2nd July 2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post

That'll be a hell of a job probably gettin the wire there, and will be needing different controle module as well?
post #150 of 169 Old 2nd July 2015, 05:08 AM

Garage

Well I managed to get it for 35 so not too worried if it doesn't fit. Also looks a little beaten up but hopefully I can clean it up. Again...not a massive loss if I can't.

Thanks again Ash. Will update once I've had a go fitting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode