Bang and olufsen - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 Performance & Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2011, 11:43 AM   #1

aussiedom is on a distinguished road
Default Bang and olufsen

Why is the Bang and Olufsen Sound system Offering such poor sound quality i expected so much more from it. The base quality is pitiful. My old 2011 A5 cab had the standard sound system which really put Audi to shame so i had to opt for the upgraded sound pack but i am so disappointed. What does everyones else think!
aussiedom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:35 PM   #2

Hitster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedom View Post
Why is the Bang and Olufsen Sound system Offering such poor sound quality i expected so much more from it. The base quality is pitiful. My old 2011 A5 cab had the standard sound system which really put Audi to shame so i had to opt for the upgraded sound pack but i am so disappointed. What does everyones else think!
I hear you on this, my old 335i's Harman Kardon system was way better.. but the Audi's is not "bad quality", its very good quality but just poorly resonated, the rear especially.

I had the trunk dynamatted and this helped big time, it really did, there is a sub back there somewhere which really doesn't handle the lows for shit, so I added an infinity bass link 2, cheap, cheerful and now it sounds spot on... I had the same thing in an old GTI, it really wakes up the system without spending a boat load of cash.
Hitster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st September 2011, 01:35 PM   #3

a5_tdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitster View Post
I hear you on this, my old 335i's Harman Kardon system was way better.. but the Audi's is not "bad quality", its very good quality but just poorly resonated, the rear especially.

I had the trunk dynamatted and this helped big time, it really did, there is a sub back there somewhere which really doesn't handle the lows for shit, so I added an infinity bass link 2, cheap, cheerful and now it sounds spot on... I had the same thing in an old GTI, it really wakes up the system without spending a boat load of cash.
How did you hook it up? In parallel with the existing sub or did it replace it and use the cabling to the HU?
a5_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st September 2011, 01:55 PM   #4

S5xy is on a distinguished road

I agree that the bass in the B&O system could be a bit more, but "such poor sound quality" you really think so? From what I've heard for myself, it's noticeably better than the HK system in my friend's '11 335, and better than Audi's standard Bose surround sound system, although I think that that system has more bass than the B&O's.

Perhaps you have a defective unit? I've seen threads before where members complained about the B&O system and in the end found out it was damaged. Or you're an audiophile with high standards, haha
S5xy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st September 2011, 02:45 PM   #5

xpsensation is on a distinguished road

not sure what everyone is complaining about, my 2012 S5 has great sound. You have to remember you do not have twin 12 inch RF subs in it. Come on now. I have had 2 MB with their enhanced Bose and this blows it away.
xpsensation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st September 2011, 03:37 PM   #6

Socrates is on a distinguished road

There is no way that I would agree that the B&O system is ''Poor quality''! So far I have found 0 issues with it, in fact, I love the system. If you look for faults with anything in life I'm sure you will find them but for me the B&O system is great!

Soc

A5 Black Edition 2.0T Quattro 211bhp S-tronic

Mods To Follow:
-Eisenmann "Sport" Quad Exhaust
-Custom S-Line Quad Valance
-Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
-Eibach 12mm & 15mm Spacers
-Hoen H11 Fogs
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st September 2011, 04:23 PM   #7

tlionhart is on a distinguished road

I absolutely love the system. I have bose headphones (both in ear and around ear ones) and I find I discover 'more' things in a song. Like background vocals or instruments being played in the song with the B&O system.
The thing is with these systems, its best to leave them default. (like mid bass, treble) etc as the B&O system should detect that. Thats what I have always been advised on these premium sound systems. Im not telling you how to suck eggs, but have you switched the 'surround system' on? Makes a difference. Also, if the base isn't punchy enough, then just turn it up.

I found it doesn't work on radio stations, well does but not as good as a CD. Also you'll find there is a huge difference in quality with the AMI (iPhone or alike) and a physical CD. I brought Examples album from iTunes and it doesn't sound as good as my girlfriends CD. (decided to compare them)

Regardless the format, other people notice it though. Usually commenting, 'since when did your car turn into a nightclub?!

I use to have bose in my A3, and this system is just much better. I believe the output is different on the systems.

CURRENT: MY14 A5 Cabriolet Special Editon S-line, Daytona Grey. Symphony, interior light pack, hill hold assist, aluminium gear stick, flat bottom steering, TPS, folding door mirrors
previous: MY11 A5 black edition, Ibis White. Symphony, interior light pack, parking sensor plus, heated seats, comfort pack, folding door mirrors, servotronic steering, phone prep-low
tlionhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21st September 2011, 10:23 PM   #8

Ok its not the sound that is poor its mainly as Hister said its the really poor bass and especially to the rear of the car its just not well balanced and yes i have tried adjusting the fader. My db9 , RR Sport and 650 Bmw are far better i just would have thought Bang and olufsen would have been whey better then it is. Even when i ordered the car the salesman suggested not to order the b and o system as he thought it was a waste of money and didn't differ from the standard unit. I disagree with this however it is badly designed/configured and disappointing. Is there any sub that can be purchased to replace the existing one to improve its performance without to much trouble.
Old 21st September 2011, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlionhart View Post
I absolutely love the system. I have bose headphones (both in ear and around ear ones) and I find I discover 'more' things in a song. Like background vocals or instruments being played in the song with the B&O system.
The thing is with these systems, its best to leave them default. (like mid bass, treble) etc as the B&O system should detect that. Thats what I have always been advised on these premium sound systems. Im not telling you how to suck eggs, but have you switched the 'surround system' on? Makes a difference. Also, if the base isn't punchy enough, then just turn it up.

I found it doesn't work on radio stations, well does but not as good as a CD. Also you'll find there is a huge difference in quality with the AMI (iPhone or alike) and a physical CD. I brought Examples album from iTunes and it doesn't sound as good as my girlfriends CD. (decided to compare them)

Regardless the format, other people notice it though. Usually commenting, 'since when did your car turn into a nightclub?!

I use to have bose in my A3, and this system is just much better. I believe the output is different on the systems.
tlionhart good point i mainly use my ipod or dab radio i havnt tried a cd yet so will give it a try! I see your in Surrey im based in farnham so may see you around!
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:06 AM   #10

RGBArgee is on a distinguished road

I have had B&O in both my A5's a Coupe and a Cab. I think it's a good value option although I have to say it sounded better in the Coupe, different internal acoustics maybe?

We have Bose in A3 and whilst good is not a patch on the A5 B&O.

Cheers

RG

[/COLOR] A5+2=A7 Daytona BE quattro [/B] Sold 2011 3.0Tdi quattro S-Line Cabriolet.. most options
Best A5 still missed...2008 3.0Tdi Sport quattro COUPE - Phantom - Silver Valcona - most options.
RGBArgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:37 AM   #11

HAWKiS5 is on a distinguished road

There are already many threads on this.

The B&O setup is ok, but certainly not super (I rate it 7,5 on a scale of 10). The clarity is great, but the dynamic range is terrible (too many DSPs do too many compression , to prevent amp and speakers from giving any distortion). So distortion level is very very low, but the emotional feeling of the sounds is therefore way beyond what is acceptable for this price. So especially when you play from a good source (be it CD or 320 kbps mp3/wma/etc), you lack dynamic range (difference between lowest and loudest low and highest and loudest high).

If somebody could find a way to bypass the B&O DSPs, most of these "problems" would be not their anymore and the score would be much higher! This was possible with the Bose setups in the previous A4/S4, and (when bypassing the Bose DSPs) it sounded much better (8 on scale of 10) than with the DSPs on (6 on a scale of 10). (remember, this was a different Bose setup than in the current A3/TT/etc)

And remember that many people have subwoofers and/or amps that are failing already from the start, so first start to check if these are ok, then replace them if needed, and you will get at least the 7,5, instead ow a lower number.

RS5 Cabrio
Phantom Black|Waxoil|Cognac Brown leather|Comfort seats/ventilation|Neck-heating|Heated memory seats/mirrors|Black Headlining|Piano black Inlay|B&O|MMI 3G Online|Nav Plus|AMI|Freecom XXS 500Gb HDD|DVD|TV/DAB+|Bluetooth+|Xenon+|LED rear|Adaptive Light|High-Beam assist|Light Pack|Parking Advanced|Advanced Key|Adaptive Cruise|Side Assist|20" RS5 wheels (PQI)|TPM|Dynamic Steering/Suspension|Sports differential|Hold assist|HomeLink|Track & Trace|Storage Pack
HAWKiS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:42 PM   #12

May be a daft question but how do i test the sub/amp to ensure they are working correctly!
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:47 PM   #13

Quote:
May be a daft question but how do i test the sub/amp to ensure they are working correctly!
Is indeed not so easy if it is working "partly", but what you can do is:
- play some music with broad dynamics at loud volume and feel with your hand near the subwoofer if it is working (you must really feel lot of air moving!)
- play some music you really know very well and listen to it if it sounds good, then use fader/balance to listen to each speaker individually
- the best test is to play the same music in another A5/S5 with B&O (at the dealer) and you will really hear the difference right away! (my dealer had 3 S5 on stock, so it was easy to compare, and very clear difference!)

RS5 Cabrio
Phantom Black|Waxoil|Cognac Brown leather|Comfort seats/ventilation|Neck-heating|Heated memory seats/mirrors|Black Headlining|Piano black Inlay|B&O|MMI 3G Online|Nav Plus|AMI|Freecom XXS 500Gb HDD|DVD|TV/DAB+|Bluetooth+|Xenon+|LED rear|Adaptive Light|High-Beam assist|Light Pack|Parking Advanced|Advanced Key|Adaptive Cruise|Side Assist|20" RS5 wheels (PQI)|TPM|Dynamic Steering/Suspension|Sports differential|Hold assist|HomeLink|Track & Trace|Storage Pack
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:15 AM   #14

SteC73 is on a distinguished road

just my 2p, but i was expecting to be blown away by the B&O, sadly, i wasnt

sure its ok, but not what i was expecting
SteC73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th September 2011, 12:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteC73 View Post

I agree, it sounds good, but I was expecting better bass reproduction.
Old 24th September 2011, 01:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteC73 View Post

Yep very disappointing
Old 24th September 2011, 06:52 AM   #17

Davidrf59 is on a distinguished road

Wow !!....Reading all the posts that are positive and negative are incredible.
I have had HK systems in my BMW's and in my Range Rover, and a DynAudio system in Volvo's., and Bose in other cars, and I don't thonk any of them even come close to the Sound and Quality of the B&O system in the A5 coupe. I dont think any convertible will sound as good as a coupe, but those who say they are dissapointed must have something wrong with their systems, or they work as sound engineers for recording companies and can hear things in a way that others would consider amazing that they think are not.

I think of myself as someone who truly knows and enjoys good sound, and am supremely delighted with the B&O system that I paid a few bucks extra to buy with the A5.

2011 A5 Premium Plus (US Prestige) S-Line 2.0T , APR Stage 1 Chip, Audi Drive Select, B&O Sound System, Navi, All Canadian Packages, 19" Y-spoke Wheels, Tinted Windows. Quartz Grey, Clear Bra protector, Chrome Grill Strips and S-Line Grill Badge.
Davidrf59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th September 2011, 08:08 AM   #18

I think part of the problem for me is that I'd heard the B&O system in the A8 and expected something close to this, however I do realise that it was a little bit more money in the A8.
Old 24th September 2011, 08:15 AM   #19

My Experience is based on a cab and the system is truly shocking. For the salesman to tell me at purchase don't waste your money on the B & O should of said enough. i havnt personally heard it in the coupe so cant comment!
Old 24th September 2011, 09:43 AM   #20

kenny is on a distinguished road

What settings do people recommend?
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th September 2011, 11:18 AM   #21

In MEDIA (all formats) and RADIO.

-Surround system ON
-GALA auto

All other options just half way. Such as BASS, TREBLE, etc (the speakers will alternate the sounds automatically) its the same with headphones. Premium sounds systems should really be left default. However the options are there to tweak them if you really love your bass or vocals.

Also, bear in mind theres a difference in quality on your iPhone in comparison to a CD brought from HMV, etc.

Another little tweak you could do to say your iTunes purchased tracks, which increases a bit more 'punch' into the tracks is to do the following;

Access iTunes. Click the song title you wish to have on your iPhone. Right click it OR CTRL+track pad click button. (depending if your on MAC or PC) Basically get the songs menu up and scroll down to GET INFO. There's a tab thats says 'OPTIONS'. In there, simply increase or tweak the volume to your liking. MAX is my preference or bass, etc. Then once applied, drag that track onto your iPhone. Then voila. That should give you a little bit 'more' through your B&O system.

When using your iPhone through say the AMI, usb or the SD card. Its normal for the tracks to 'crackle' a little or not sound as great as described. These devices compress the tracks.

CURRENT: MY14 A5 Cabriolet Special Editon S-line, Daytona Grey. Symphony, interior light pack, hill hold assist, aluminium gear stick, flat bottom steering, TPS, folding door mirrors
previous: MY11 A5 black edition, Ibis White. Symphony, interior light pack, parking sensor plus, heated seats, comfort pack, folding door mirrors, servotronic steering, phone prep-low
Old 24th September 2011, 11:28 AM   #22

splatty is on a distinguished road

I certainly wasn't blown away when I first turned the stereo on compared to the standard one in my previous A4. I set what I thought was usual, and away I went.

After a couple of weeks I have backed the treble and bass back toward midway and have "listened" more, if you know what I mean.

I think the extra midrange and tweeters that you get in the system give an amazingly clear sound, displaying parts of track I had previously not noticed.

I use a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air in the house which sounds amazing and has really thumping bass. At first that is what I expected in the car, but that's not what the B&O system is about. I believe it is about clarity rather than bass.

Personally I don't want thumping bass in the car anyway. I prefer to listen to the whistle of the turbo

2011 A5 Coupe Black Edition, 2.0tfsi, Ibis White, 20" double spoke alloys, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Heated Seats, De-Badged
splatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24th September 2011, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
I believe it is about clarity rather than bass.
Spot on. Its about hearing different instruments or vocals that you wouldn't hear on 'cheap' headphones. (thinking the standard ones you get with say your iPod)

I actually remember a sometime ago (when I was having a car serviced at Audi) the guys complaint on the service desk next to me was he complained about his B&O system not being loud enough. Fortunately I was leaving at the same time, to go home whilst the service advisor went out to inspect his car. Being nosey and interested as I was (he had a new A5 cab and they had only just came out) ...turned out nothing was wrong with it. Just his understanding of what premium sounds systems actually do, wasn't right.

Every manufacturer is different when it comes to speakers and output. Bose, monster beats all aim at bass. Whereas B&O aim more at clarity. So if you love alternative or rock music (like U2 for example) then you'll know what I mean.

Old 25th September 2011, 05:51 AM   #24

Davidrf59 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlionhart View Post
Spot on. Its about hearing different instruments or vocals that you wouldn't hear on 'cheap' headphones. (thinking the standard ones you get with say your iPod)

I actually remember a sometime ago (when I was having a car serviced at Audi) the guys complaint on the service desk next to me was he complained about his B&O system not being loud enough. Fortunately I was leaving at the same time, to go home whilst the service advisor went out to inspect his car. Being nosey and interested as I was (he had a new A5 cab and they had only just came out) ...turned out nothing was wrong with it. Just his understanding of what premium sounds systems actually do, wasn't right.

Every manufacturer is different when it comes to speakers and output. Bose, monster beats all aim at bass. Whereas B&O aim more at clarity. So if you love alternative or rock music (like U2 for example) then you'll know what I mean.
Agreed....however, the B&O system delivers excellent and clear Bass...Putting on the Track Abacab from Genesis, and turn up the Bass, and The B&O system will puch a hole through the doors and fenders with amazing punch.
so far I have not heard a better OEM system, but can imagine that the one in the A8 would be that level better simply because its even more powerful.

2011 A5 Premium Plus (US Prestige) S-Line 2.0T , APR Stage 1 Chip, Audi Drive Select, B&O Sound System, Navi, All Canadian Packages, 19" Y-spoke Wheels, Tinted Windows. Quartz Grey, Clear Bra protector, Chrome Grill Strips and S-Line Grill Badge.
Davidrf59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25th September 2011, 06:23 AM   #25

Clarity is the great plus of the B&O system indeed, and it is not the lack of bass that is missing, but the lack of dynamic headroom because of the too conservative B&O DSPs that compress all dynamic away. The amp and speakers are good (enough), but anyone who finds a way to bypass these DSPs becomes a real hero here ,because then the system will really sound like audiophile people want it too.

RS5 Cabrio
Old 29th September 2011, 09:47 PM   #26

vikta is on a distinguished road
Default bo

the bo sounds great after you us the vag to make it better see they limit how loud it go from the factory so that you dont blow the speakers and cost them more money i think stock it can got to level 14 after unlocking you can get up to 30 sounds so much better its louder and hits hards actually sounds like you have somethin in the car
vikta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30th September 2011, 02:35 AM   #27

Horus is on a distinguished road

Im having the JBL MS-8 installed on Monday, looking forward to see what difference it makes, it certainly gets good reviews

2012 Panther Black RS5 | HRE P40SC Alloys | Capristo exhaust | Black Styling package | DAB digital radio | B&O Sound | Piano black Inlays | Auto-dimming rear-view mirror | Privacy glass | Mobile Phone High | Heated/Memory Seats | Panoramic sunroof | Sports Package | Cruise Control | Dynamic Ride Control | Dynamic Steering | Audi hill-hold assist | Audi Parking System | Audi side assist | Ceramic brakes | High-beam assist | MMI navigation plus | Advanced key | Xpel-Ultimate complete covering
Horus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th October 2011, 01:28 AM   #28

Horus let me know how you get on as i certainly need to do something with mine. Can i ask who is doing it and how much they are charging.
Old 4th October 2011, 05:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikta View Post
the bo sounds great after you us the vag to make it better see they limit how loud it go from the factory so that you dont blow the speakers and cost them more money i think stock it can got to level 14 after unlocking you can get up to 30 sounds so much better its louder and hits hards actually sounds like you have somethin in the car
Has anyone found a way to do this with Vag-com yet?
Old 4th October 2011, 05:47 AM   #30

Horus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Horus let me know how you get on as i certainly need to do something with mine. Can i ask who is doing it and how much they are charging.
Sadly the unit was faulty, have had to send it back for replacement

But the work is all done, just a case of plugging the new one in and calibrating it. I went to a place called Autotronix in Bedford, had good testimonials, but i dont think they had ever installed one before. Charge was 200, my follow up visit with the replacement will be free.

I will update this thread when i have had a chance to experience it

2012 Panther Black RS5 | HRE P40SC Alloys | Capristo exhaust | Black Styling package | DAB digital radio | B&O Sound | Piano black Inlays | Auto-dimming rear-view mirror | Privacy glass | Mobile Phone High | Heated/Memory Seats | Panoramic sunroof | Sports Package | Cruise Control | Dynamic Ride Control | Dynamic Steering | Audi hill-hold assist | Audi Parking System | Audi side assist | Ceramic brakes | High-beam assist | MMI navigation plus | Advanced key | Xpel-Ultimate complete covering
Horus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.