Engine Mods - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 20th April 2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Engine Mods

Hi All,

I am new to the A5 forum and just bought my 59 plate Audi A5 3.0tdi recently, I am looking to do the following mods:

- Darkside Tuning Intercooler
- Darkside/Supersprint downpipe (DPF Delete)
- Backbox delete
- EGR Delete
- Swirl Flap Delete (common problem, deletion via software)
- Remap

In terms of the downpipe my A5 3.0 TDI is a 59 plate coupe quattro and I need help with what version downpipe I get, is it short or long?

Also what is the best way to remove the swirl flaps as I've heard they cause problems eventually...

Who is the best place to do all the following? (I am based in the midlands).

With the mods above what HP will I achieve?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 21st April 2017, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Great choice, I have the same, but slightly earlier in 2009.

I want to do the intercooler upgrade as I hear it is beneficial, more so after a remap.
DPF delete, I've left mine in place. Unless you're going for a high stage of tune, or louder noise removing the DPF won't give much benefit. I hear it's good up to 320-330bhp. Also you will have to replace the down pipe with the DPF each year for your MOT as it will fail without a 'DPF' in place. Also it will be short DPF, the longer ones were upto 2007/2008, I think.
I did a DIY back box delete, cost me 140 and on rolling road I got 260bhp so +15bhp.
EGR delete can only be done with DPF delete as DPF will throw errors.
Swirl flap is a 'common' problem that can be fixed by modified actuator arms for about a tenner, then no more problems. These are beneficial to the way your engine makes power. Remove these and you will lose bottom end grunt.

I had mine remapped and rolling roaded at More-BHP in Crewe. 310bhp and 643Nm (480ft/lbs). Only mods I have is the back box delete.

Going to get a bigger intercooler and the ECU will adjust to the cooler air going in so a few more horses. I think I will try and record the inlet temps via VCDS before and after to actually see the benefits.

Ps I know the 3.0TDi went to DSG gearbox in either late 2009 or 2010. Is yours a manual? Just the DSG has a lower torque threshold.

Last edited by Dave Kwatro; 21st April 2017 at 03:02 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 21st April 2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kwatro View Post
Great choice, I have the same, but slightly earlier in 2009.

I want to do the intercooler upgrade as I hear it is beneficial, more so after a remap.
DPF delete, I've left mine in place. Unless you're going for a high stage of tune, or louder noise removing the DPF won't give much benefit. I hear it's good up to 320-330bhp. Also you will have to replace the down pipe with the DPF each year for your MOT as it will fail without a 'DPF' in place. Also it will be short DPF, the longer ones were upto 2007/2008, I think.
I did a DIY back box delete, cost me 140 and on rolling road I got 260bhp so +15bhp.
EGR delete can only be done with DPF delete as DPF will throw errors.
Swirl flap is a 'common' problem that can be fixed by modified actuator arms for about a tenner, then no more problems. These are beneficial to the way your engine makes power. Remove these and you will lose bottom end grunt.

I had mine remapped and rolling roaded at More-BHP in Crewe. 310bhp and 643Nm (480ft/lbs). Only mods I have is the back box delete.

Going to get a bigger intercooler and the ECU will adjust to the cooler air going in so a few more horses. I think I will try and record the inlet temps via VCDS before and after to actually see the benefits.

Ps I know the 3.0TDi went to DSG gearbox in either late 2009 or 2010. Is yours a manual? Just the DSG has a lower torque threshold.
Thanks for your reply!

Would the Intercooler before remap not be a better idea? with the lower temperatures surely you would be able to achieve more HP through the map... I'd also want to remove the DPF (purely for sound) and get it mapped out and I do know a few friendly MOT testers so should be fine .

Could you send me a link to the uprated swirl flaps? Thank you.

I opted for the Manual as I believe it can handle 800nm torque :P

post #4 of 4 Old 8th May 2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys, anyone know the best place that is not too far from myself (Leicester) to get my car remapped with the supported mods above...I would like someone reputable and good with these engines, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode