Intercooler upgrade - power values? - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10th March 2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

2.0 TFSI Intercooler upgrade - power values?

Hi guys

I have a 2011 a5 coupe 2.0 tfsi with a stage 1 remap done by AMD Essex

DYNO run shows I am running 270 bhp and about 440 NM

all I have is a custom built stainless steel quad exhaust with the rear muffler removed and the centre muffler replaced with a free flow one.

the airfilter/induction etc is all standard along with everything else.

I am wanting more power, so am planning to upgrade my intercooler.

once installed I will obviously also get it mapped in order to avoid turbo lag issue.

I would like to know ;

what intercooler is best for the a5 2.0 TFSI?
how much is it?
and what power gains can I expect?

Last edited by D2JML; 10th March 2017 at 04:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10th March 2017, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Have you looked at AWE's site for their intercooler? Not sure if Darksides intercooler for diesel would be the same and fit but it is larger. Some people on here have also fitted a large one from Wagner as well as you can get generic ones from Mishimoto I think they're called off e-bay.

On a side note, does the 2.0 TFSI not already have an intercooler?
I was under the impression that upgrading the intercooler was more for "prolonged preservation of power".

The way I see it an intercooler will cool the hot turbo air:
-A small cooler will contain residual heat and thus on your 2nd run and onwards won't cool the air as much as in your first thus leaving you down on power.
-A larger intercooler will dissipate your turbo air heat better thus rather than give you more power on your 1st run, will give you closer to your 1st run power on your 2nd and onward runs.

Power gains will most likely in larger parts come from a re-map which now can push more air through your larger intercooler, rather than simply the larger cooler itself.

Have a look at this thread: intercooler fitted

Other than that I can't exactly answer your questions regarding price, it's market dependant anyways. Though AWE tend to be a little bit pricey at least you know you're getting a tried and tested product.

Regards
post #3 of 6 Old 19th March 2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Fitting a bigger intercooler on my 3.0 TDI made a huge difference !!! I had the car re-mapped but wanted a bit more power too, I looked at the Darkside and Wagner ones but the I thought the cost was a bit steep so I bought a generic larger one off ebay and extended the pipes and made a couple of brackets, cost less than £100 in total, the first time I drove the car after fitting it the car was gutless, I thought I had screwed it up, after driving it for approx 5-10 mins then switching the engine off and re-starting it seemed to solve the problem, Im guessing the computers had to adjust the ECU or something but not had any issues since.

post #4 of 6 Old 20th March 2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman0074 View Post
Fitting a bigger intercooler on my 3.0 TDI made a huge difference !!! I had the car re-mapped but wanted a bit more power too, I looked at the Darkside and Wagner ones but the I thought the cost was a bit steep so I bought a generic larger one off ebay and extended the pipes and made a couple of brackets, cost less than £100 in total, the first time I drove the car after fitting it the car was gutless, I thought I had screwed it up, after driving it for approx 5-10 mins then switching the engine off and re-starting it seemed to solve the problem, Im guessing the computers had to adjust the ECU or something but not had any issues since.
wow sounds wicked, always up for saving money when it can be done, why spend money jus for a brand- few questions mate

so you didn't do a remap after the install of the new intercooler?

it auto adjusted its self?

you got any turbo lag?

how is the power now realistically?
post #5 of 6 Old 20th March 2017, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I fitted it after the remap, it seemed to adjust itself, no extra turbo lag, can't give an exact figure on power but i certainly notoced the difference !!!
post #6 of 6 Old 22nd March 2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman0074 View Post
Which intercooler did you get? I've hear Iveco truck intercoolers can be used?

Thought about doing this myself. Mine is remapped with the only mods being back box delete, made 310bhp and 480lbft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode