• 1 Post By Scotsman0074
  • 2 Post By chrisrs180

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

3.0 Tdi Turbo Intake Pipe Mod

Hi everyone, I have decided to improve my DIY airbox to turbo inlet pipe mod as I felt it could be made more efficient and also look a lot better.

I will increase the diameter and also the rigidity of the pipe by swapping the silicone bend in the system for a metal one as I have noticed the silicone pipe bending slightly under load. I will also smooth out the reducer part of the system for a more gradual reduction in diameter hopefully improving efficiency.

Firstly I got a pipe 76mm (3 inch diameter) with a 45' bend and a hole already cut to run a breather pipe.

The pipe is carbon effect (doesn't look too bad actually). 76mm (3 inch diameter)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	138202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Silicone reducer 83mm-76mm (from airbox lip to pipe)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reducer 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	138210  
post #3 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Silicone reducer 76mm-70mm (from metal pipe to plastic turbo inlet pipe).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reducer 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	138218  

post #4 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I then cut down the pipe with a hacksaw so it will fit perfectly in the silicone reducers before and after the bend. Best to sand the newly cut edges with fine sandpaper and then wash thoroughly as there will be some debris about that you don't want in the system. The pipe is just a cheap generic one from ebay, the reducers are 83mm-76mm and 76mm-70mm respectively. They are of a fairly decent quality. I threw away the reducer that came with the pipe as it was not up to standard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pipe cut.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	138226  
post #5 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Then assembled the intake but left the clamps loose so some jiggery can take place to get the intake to fit. It's a good idea to leave some wiggle room on all of the silicone reducers as its unlikely you will cut it to exact dimensions first time. So keep trimming a little off them at a time rather than trying to make it fit perfectly at the first attempt. It's easy to take more off, not so much to add silicone!

Attach the clamps at every connecting point and you should end up with something like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pipe complete.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	138234  
post #6 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

The plastic turbo intake pipe (just before turbo) is just from an A4 3.0tdi as the original pipe is actually of a wider diameter than the A5. So cut that to length to attach to the second silicone reducer. You can also use the stock A5 one but its slightly thinner at this point, hence why I opted for the A4 version. I found one on ebay second hand for a tenner.

Then time to install it. A fair amount of wiggling about and trial and error here but a combination of twisting and patience should yield a result something like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pipe install.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	138242  

Last edited by chrisrs180; 6th March 2017 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Tighten up all the clamps to a reasonable torque, but careful not to over-tighten and split any hoses.

The blue hose came with the pipe from ebay and I have used an adapter to plump it into the crankcase breather pipe and put a zip-tie on it. Works perfectly and doesn't look too bad either.

Here's what it looks like with the engine cover back on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine cover.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	138250  

Last edited by chrisrs180; 6th March 2017 at 09:42 AM.
post #8 of 26 Old 6th March 2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

I'm happy with how it looks and it has further improved the throttle response. I will get it dyno'd soon when I can afford to but unfortunately I won't have any before and after results so you'll have to take my word for it that it is an improvement! Perhaps not in any power figures but like I say the throttle response is better.

Not too bad for 30.

Cheers.
post #9 of 26 Old 7th March 2017, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Does look a lot better.

I'd be interested to see for myself the type of benefits this gives! I might look into asking a friend who is a welder/fabricator to make me a metal one.

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure my intake has some sort of sensor where the elbow is on yours, I'm guessing this isn't part of the intake system and its just there to be attached to something?

Audi A5 3.0 TDI QUADDRO - AIR SUSPENSION - 76MM CUSTOM EXHAUST - REVO INTAKE - HYDRODIPPED
post #10 of 26 Old 7th March 2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Indeed it's the DPF particle pressure sensor I believe. I've just zip-tied mine to a non temperature affected pipe nearby. Was thinking of attaching the original securing from the intake pipe but need to think about how to make it look decent. Something to ponder at lunchtime anyway...
post #11 of 26 Old 7th March 2017, 05:16 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Garage
Do you think that you will get more power with this mod Chris??????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
160,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Recently had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of Brembo discs and pads and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers.
post #12 of 26 Old 7th March 2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Unlikely to see much increase in power as the turbo already sucks as much air as it needs but making more air available to it without it having to work as hard should result in sharper throttle response. Basically making the system more efficient. May also increase mpg. Lots of small mods like this should add up to a decent increase and will complement bigger mods eg intercooler, larger turbo etc.

Last edited by chrisrs180; 7th March 2017 at 06:35 AM.
post #13 of 26 Old 8th March 2017, 12:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrs180 View Post
Indeed it's the DPF particle pressure sensor I believe. I've just zip-tied mine to a non temperature affected pipe nearby. Was thinking of attaching the original securing from the intake pipe but need to think about how to make it look decent. Something to ponder at lunchtime anyway...
oh okay I thought it was something important

Audi A5 3.0 TDI QUADDRO - AIR SUSPENSION - 76MM CUSTOM EXHAUST - REVO INTAKE - HYDRODIPPED
post #14 of 26 Old 8th March 2017, 02:20 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrs180 View Post
Unlikely to see much increase in power as the turbo already sucks as much air as it needs but making more air available to it without it having to work as hard should result in sharper throttle response. Basically making the system more efficient. May also increase mpg. Lots of small mods like this should add up to a decent increase and will complement bigger mods eg intercooler, larger turbo etc.
Ok goddit thanks....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver 2008 A5 coupe.
3.2 V6 FSI 2WD automatic S line.
19" Y spokes with Pirelli P-Zeros.
160,000km. Leather interior. Love it !!
Recently had the wheels refurbished, the bodywork polished, badges removed and fitted the pedal box booster. Full set of Brembo discs and pads and calipers repainted in silver. New carbon mirror covers.
post #15 of 26 Old 19th March 2017, 03:53 PM

Not bad for the price !!!!
I bought a pipe form Darkside for 65, straight swap, done the cable tie thing with the sensor, also removed the little plastic flap from the bottom of the airbox housing and cut the bend off the plastic inlet pipe that feeds air to the filter, car seems more responsive and sounds more throaty !!!
Mikenem likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 20th March 2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman0074 View Post
I bought a pipe form Darkside for 65, straight swap, done the cable tie thing with the sensor, also removed the little plastic flap from the bottom of the airbox housing and cut the bend off the plastic inlet pipe that feeds air to the filter, car seems more responsive and sounds more throaty !!!
How do you get that flap out? I tried for ages but it's stuck fast. Also what cable tie thing, I think I missed it

Beep beep.
post #17 of 26 Old 23rd March 2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
How do you get that flap out? I tried for ages but it's stuck fast. Also what cable tie thing, I think I missed it
I couldn't get it out either and after scratching my head for a while I just ended up mangling it out.
post #18 of 26 Old 23rd March 2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

This is from "Karls build thread" over at Audi-Sport website, details and shows where the butterfly flap is. (apologies if images don't appear I'm copy/paste from my phone.

I think the "zip-tie" being referred to is just to keep the DPF pressure sensor from moving about as when you remove/swap the inlet pipe you will take away its anchor bracket which it is attached to.

Hope this helps.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads....204785/page-3

Karls 3.0 TDI build thread | Page 3 | Audi-Sport.net
www.audi-sport.net
Put the Team dynamics wheels on this afternoon. The Goodyear Eagles seem to have a really big lip to protect the alloy face, or it may just be the...

Made another mod to the car a few weeks ago. Seems to improve the low speed pick up and logging airflow before and after there is a definate increase in airflow as the turbo comes on boost.
I do loads of data logging runs and comparing back to back two runs with one small change there is upto 10% extra airflow from around 1700 RPM upto 2500 RPM this then tapers off down to 3300 RPM.
The air box has a vacuum operated butterfly flap in the bottom that opens at some point, not sure when.
I took the butterfly out and added an intake trumpet that is used on the S4 / s5 cars.

[IMG]

The trumpet as it comes from Audi,

[IMG]
post #19 of 26 Old 23rd March 2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Regarding the butterfly flap you put your hand through from the airbox/filter side and unhook it with a small amount of force. You should be able to feel it unhook from its hinges. If you physically open it with your hand from inside it should come free.
post #20 of 26 Old 29th March 2017, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Do I take it that this mod can only be done after having the DPF deleted as removing the sensor form it's housing and just cable tying it out of the way?
post #21 of 26 Old 29th March 2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

This can be done to cars with or without dpf as in most cases the sensor will still be connected to downpipe/gutted dpf. (if removal has been done the most common way, leaving the sensor in to avoid it throwing fault codes) Essentially just relocating the sensor from old intake pipe to somewhere else in the engine bay. If your car still has dpf on this won't affect readings to ecu.
post #22 of 26 Old 29th March 2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Sorry just to be clear the actual probe will still be on the downpipe/gutted dpf, the sensor (previously attached to a moulded plastic hanger on the intake pipe) can then be tied/secured somewhere else.
post #23 of 26 Old 30th March 2017, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Great thanks for clearing that up, I know what i'm doing this weekend now
post #24 of 26 Old 6th April 2017, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman0074 View Post
what pipe are you refering to here? can you provide a link?

post #25 of 26 Old 7th April 2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I reckon he means this one mate,

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.u...cone-hose.html
Misikee and Scotsman0074 like this.
post #26 of 26 Old 9th April 2017, 04:11 AM

Hi, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, i work away from home,here is the link.

2.7 / 3.0 TDi Audi B8 Platform Airbox to TIP Silicone Hose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode