Need some advices on the wheels spacers. - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 20th February 2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Need some advices on the wheels spacers.

I have purchased a set of 19x9.5J with ET35 for my facelift A5 coupe and I am planning to go for H&R Sport spring with 35mm drop (my car has an non-sline suspension). I am planning to run 2553519 tyre.

However, I would like to buy the spacers and install all the things together. Should I go for H&R 15/20 or 20/25 or 20 all around. I know that DRA system would be better without the need of longer wheel bolts of the DR. I dont want to make the rear wheel to trucked in the arch. I want to get the flush look

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Jasonfok908; 20th February 2017 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 17th March 2017, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, this might be a little too late but here goes. My car is pre-facelift though. (2010 A5 Coupe, S-line)

I have 19x9J with ET33, H&R sport springs and 20mm F | 25mm R spacers. Tyres are 255/35R19. My wheels just clear the fenders and I have no rubbing with this setup.

I used an offset calculator and with 20mm F | 25mm R, your wheels will stick out 4mm over and above my setup. So my advice will be to choose the 15mm F and 20mm R spacers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 rnd 1 - 002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	138786  

Last edited by Tjaart; 17th March 2017 at 02:35 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 18th March 2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

hi Tjaart

i have a a5 cabriolet with 9x19 et33 i was looking at spacers but was told id need lower it or it will make the gap look bigger just with the spacers.

i nearly brought 15/20 but you mention you have 20/25
im thinking dr system is better/safer than dra ? ive heard off a few on different forum so would appreciate your opinions, and also what system are you using??

also any pics of you car (side shot) to see how low it is and if the front has dropped more than the rear?

how much has it lowered by and whats the ride like compared to the s-line set up mines a TDI by the way.....is yours?

post #4 of 8 Old 19th March 2017, 08:41 AM

I don't have enough posts to embed pictures, therefore I will split my response into multiple posts not to confuse the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw754 View Post
i was looking at spacers but was told id need lower it or it will make the gap look bigger just with the spacers.
This is a matter of opinion I think. To me the spacers improve the overall look. With the A5, the wheels are deep inside the fenders. So over and above the gap looking from the side, you have the inward wheel gap looking at a 45 degree angle from the front/rear as well. After adding spacers, you only have the gap looking from the side. So in my opinion the overall look is better. Here are some pics to help you decide. (rims are 19x9.5J ET35)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before, gap analysis.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	139042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0146.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	139050  
post #5 of 8 Old 19th March 2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
i nearly brought 15/20 but you mention you have 20/25
im thinking dr system is better/safer than dra ? ive heard off a few on different forum so would appreciate your opinions, and also what system are you using??
Personally I think DR is fine for 15mm and less. 20mm and up, rather go DRA (2 sets of bolts). I want to do track days with the spacers if I need to and with the DRA spacers, to me, there are more forgiveness of things that can go wrong. Running 20/25mm spacers with very long bolts under high stress, I think rather not for my requirements. And, I had mine made with 5x112 and 5x120 PCD. Now they are adapters as well so I can fit a wider selection of wheel designs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0135.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	139058  

Last edited by Tjaart; 19th March 2017 at 08:46 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 19th March 2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
also any pics of you car (side shot) to see how low it is and if the front has dropped more than the rear?

how much has it lowered by and whats the ride like compared to the s-line set up mines a TDI by the way.....is yours?
My car is the 2010 Audi A5 Coupe 3.0TDI S-tronic, S-line, but sport suspension (20mm drop from standard suspension, more or less). I have the H&R Sport springs, code 29059-2. (35mm drop from standard suspension, more or less)

See pictures.

The front is slightly lower than the rear. At this point it has not bothered me enough to do something about it.
As mentioned, I had the sport suspension. So I will compare the ride comfort between that and the H&R sport springs. To me the ride is not too much more firm after the lowering springs. Because of their progressive design, for small road imperfections they are very close to before. Big imperfections they are hard and they need to be not to bottom out. So for most of the time spent in the car the ride is about the same. I have recently changed my tyres from 255/35R19 to 255/40R19 and comfort is good again for normal road conditions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0348.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	139066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0407.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	139074  
post #7 of 8 Old 19th March 2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

previously you said you had 9x19 et33

now your saying you have 9.5 x 19 et 35 ?

can you explain?
post #8 of 8 Old 20th March 2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
previously you said you had 9x19 et33

now your saying you have 9.5 x 19 et 35 ?

can you explain?
Sorry for the confusion. The previous advice for the 19x9J ET33 stands. That is the stock S-line rims. The only pictures I had to show the gaps for before and after the spacers was with 19x9.5J ET35 rims I had fitted to the car at that time. I mentioned their size because they sit closer to the fender, thus the stock S-line rims will have a bigger inward gap.

I sold those 19x9.5J rims and bought the lowering springs with the money. So all my spacer and lowering advice is based on the 19x9J rims.

Regards

Last edited by Tjaart; 20th March 2017 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode