22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 Old 15th January 2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
3.0 Tdi Active Exhaust

Has anyone fitted one of these to their A5?

Audi Dealer UK video

Good / bad idea?

3.0 Tdi Quattro "Black Edition" Daytona Grey
----------------------------------------------------------
Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 16th January 2017, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)

Garage
I'd love that, but I bet it costs about 1,000,000,000.00!!! Boo!

Dan.

A5 3.0TDI quattro Coupe Blk Ed+ S-Tronic - Daytona Grey - 3G+MMI Nav, B&O, DAB, AMI, 19" Gloss Black 'Y' Design, Auto Dim RVM, Elec. Folding & Auto Dim Mem Mirrors, Cruise, Black Leather/Alcantara Elec Memory Seats, Bluetooth, LED Light Pack, Xenon Plus & LED DRL's, High Beam Assist, Parking System Advanced, Adv. Key, ADS, Adaptive Dampers, Privacy Glass, Storage Pack, BlackVue

Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro, Blk Ed, S-Tronic - Glacier
Previous - A5 3.0TDI quattro Sport Coupe - Silver
post #3 of 119 Old 16th January 2017, 06:16 AM
C.B

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Garage
Friend of mine has this on his A6 allroad BiTDi which I think it comes with it as standard.

It makes a decent noise, when active it has more of a V6 burble at lower revs than my V6 S5 does.

Up top it will never sound like a petrol V6 but I think audi have done a decent job with it and I have seen a few threads on other forums about retro fitting.

But having heard a few 3.0 TDi with an aftermarket exhaust, they can sound good and I would go down that route, you are only going to leave it in active mode all the time anyway!

2010 S5 Sportback V6T - Quartz Grey Pearl

post #4 of 119 Old 16th January 2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

It's a commendable effort by Audi to provide it in an aftermarket sense. I know it is fashion now to "hate" the "generated" sounds that car makers have to these days in order to meet NVH criteria as well as acceptable outside sound levels.

My personal opinion is that speaker generated sounds inside the cabin I can sort of see the point in as per described above, but, to my knowledge, this system by Audi actually puts a "sound generator" in the exhaust to.. yes... "generate" sound on the outside and I think it is just so many steps too far.

I'd say if you can't make it sound good with a decent exhaust system then either accept what you have or get a car with a better sounding engine. I'm not saying I cringe a bit when I hear this system, but I can hear the fakeness to the sound so easily and it's just wrong IMO.

Milltek produce a system now at least for the S5 that has a switchable valve which I'm sure can me made to fit an A5 as the valved operation only happens at the back boxes. Armytrix has a "killer" system too as well as IPE. We all love big boobs but a real set puts plastic to shame any day of the week.

IMO

Regards
post #5 of 119 Old 16th January 2017, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Yes but even the 'fake; sound still sounds good and sounds so much better than the normal diesel tractor sound. Obviously not as good as a genuine V8 but still pretty half decent.
In laymen terms; Real boobs> fake boobs> no boobs at all!

Audi A6 BiTdi Avant
post #6 of 119 Old 17th January 2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Went to the Audi dealer today to have a natter. They offered to get it out for me to take a look but I had to get off. They did though send me some pictures and I do like the black chrome tips.

Fitted price - just over 1000.

Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g
post #7 of 119 Old 17th January 2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hi. I bought one of these through eBay (from a dealer) and fitted it yesterday. Yes, it is akin to "fake boobs" but in my opinion just what I was hoping to get my hands on as I'm not into having too much volume extending out of the apron (did you see what I did there? ).

Aside from a couple of errors/confusing items in the instructions it was very straightforward to fit. I did the electrics first and ran with the new exhausts just laying in the boot while I tested the different modes in ADS and waited for a mobile mechanic to fit me in. He jacked up the car fully, cut the pipes and we fed the wires down from the boot before tightening things up - 50+VAT labour. The kit comes with everything you need, including cable ties and replacement connector plugs for adding wires neatly into the car's power and CanBus.

After having my 3.0TDI for 4 years, I only bought this as it was a bargain - although I was interested in the item before, when it was around 1K for parts, it wasn't enough at that time to convince me. I'm sure there will be deals out there though, as the new A5 means that dealers want to lose any stock (mine was was of 3 sold cheap by that dealer) and I'm sure it will help sell the car when the time comes (I'm keeping the old boxes just in case, although the new boxes can just be unplugged). Cheers

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #8 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow I've just been sent the fitting instructions!

Quite a bit of the car has to come apart seems to be a pain that on RHD cars you have to remove the centre console and rear seat.

Last edited by Barmybob; 18th January 2017 at 01:31 AM.
post #9 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmybob View Post
Wow I've just been sent the fitting instructions!

Quite a bit of the car has to come apart seems to be a pain that on RHD cars you have to remove the centre console and rear seat.
It's not too bad - the seat just lifts off and then using some electricians rods I fed the cable under the small amount of carpet between seat and console, and then up towards the front while securing it points where the trim just lifts up. At a push, it may have been just long enough to take it through the LHD drive route, which is a little easier and where I'd previously fed the cable for a retrofit rear camera. I can imagine the Audi dealer is using much of the 340 mins allocated on the instructions to remove and replace all of the trim.

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #10 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)

Ha! absolutely no interest in exhausts but the fake boobs/real boobs comparison has kept me entertained.....purely for research purposes, you understand.

unfortunately I decided that purely visual comparisons were insufficient so decided that tactile testing was required.....jesus, has that got me into trouble at work......
Barmybob and Mr.wreckless like this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #11 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackingman View Post
Ha! absolutely no interest in exhausts but the fake boobs/real boobs comparison has kept me entertained.....purely for research purposes, you understand.

unfortunately I decided that purely visual comparisons were insufficient so decided that tactile testing was required.....jesus, has that got me into trouble at work......
WOW, I am surprised you haven't attached pictures of your research !
Barmybob likes this.

Audi A6 BiTdi Avant
post #12 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 03:39 AM

given that my research is still inconclusive I felt that any information I provided could be construed as misleading.......

however if you find a more outstanding pair of fake boobs than those invested in by Ms Hannah Claydon, please let me know....
Barmybob likes this.

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #13 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
however if you find a more outstanding pair of fake boobs than those invested in by Ms Hannah Claydon, please let me know....
When you next see her Racks, (!), any chance you could ask her to purr like a V8, just for completeness?

post #14 of 119 Old 18th January 2017, 05:09 AM

still getting to grips with the uprated handling package mate.....

have to say I quite like the idea of a V8 purring sound............

it would make a change from;

have you started yet?
have you not finished yet, I am trying to get to sleep!
you are NOT putting THAT THERE!!!!

post #15 of 119 Old 20th January 2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Quote:
still getting to grips with the uprated handling package mate.....

have to say I quite like the idea of a V8 purring sound............

it would make a change from;

have you started yet?
have you not finished yet, I am trying to get to sleep!
you are NOT putting THAT THERE!!!!
Down to your socks yet Racks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZcYPEszN8

post #16 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Wow first I'd heard of this, I'd really like this actually for mine.. it might be fake but I actually feel the noise would better represent the engine and it beats getting an aftermarket one where you can achieve an awesome V6 noise even from a TDi but only at above 2.5k rpm - I'd rather not sound like a noisy tin can the rest of the time.

Dont think I could warrant 1k on it mind you.

Does anyone know what the price of just the parts needed are without stealership labour?

Thanks

Black A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition Coupe
post #17 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 05:16 AM

Found this video gives a better comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbhBAO978M

REALLY like this...

post #18 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangey. View Post
Does anyone know what the price of just the parts needed are without stealership labour?

Thanks
Hi. I bought mine from eBay - it was a bargain. It was from an Audi dealer who had a few and clearly just wanted to clear some parts storage space now that the new model is out. I think many other dealers could be in a similar position so if you're really keen I think it's worth emailing every dealer's part department to make enquiries.
Grangey. likes this.
post #19 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 07:41 AM

As an aside, mine came with the add-on for 2.0 TDI cars which I didn't need so if anyone is interested please PM me.

post #20 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Garage
Is this the one................

Exhaust sound system Audi A4 and A5 | eBay

JG

2012 A5 2.0tdi Black Edition, Bluetooth, cruise, RS4 pedals, LED interior lights & plates, de-badged, B&O, MFFBSW, Black boot lid rings, 15/20mm H&R spacers. 034 Transmission Mount. Bluefin Remap. Custom exhaust twin exit conversion. S5 front brakes. Pressed plates.
post #21 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN-GEE View Post
Is this the one................

Exhaust sound system Audi A4 and A5 | eBay

JG
Well spotted - I was just going to post but you beat me to it.

Same dealer but mine was an auction starting at 200 plus 35 delivery and that's what it went for (with the extra parts for 2.0TDI mentioned above). That should be a decent guide for offers though.

post #22 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Garage
Yes, it's a good price considering how much they initially wanted for it.

I would have snapped it up if I hadn't already fitted a full custom exhaust.

JG

2012 A5 2.0tdi Black Edition, Bluetooth, cruise, RS4 pedals, LED interior lights & plates, de-badged, B&O, MFFBSW, Black boot lid rings, 15/20mm H&R spacers. 034 Transmission Mount. Bluefin Remap. Custom exhaust twin exit conversion. S5 front brakes. Pressed plates.
post #23 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 01:29 PM

Does seem like quite a job, install instructions here;

http://www.ideas4cars.be/fichiers/documents/4914.pdf

I wonder how much and how reliably an local indi might be able to fit this for.

BigP care to upload a video of yours with fake boobs on and off? How long did it take you to do all the interior electrics would you say?

Once connected, did the system just automatically show up in your MMI then? Also again I assume its automatic that when using Drive Select, in comfort mode its off, but auto and dynamic stages it shows life?

post #24 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Red face More questions..

Awesome questions by Grangey... I'd be curious to know too!

My other question is... can it be fitted alongside an aftermarket exhaust setup, or does it replace whatever rear pipes you may have? I'd love to run both the active sound system and an aftermarket exhaust setup side by side!!! My whip is still stock and only a few weeks in my ownership, so debating my upgrades and improving exhaust note is top of the list!
post #25 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 02:01 PM

Ive just fitted one to an A5 TFSi model even though these are only specified for the TDi engine. Did it on my own in my garage/workshop.
There are two parts to the kit, the rear 2 boxes with the control unit, wiring, etc and the 2nd part of the kit is the centre box. In actual fact you need to have this; any exhaust place can cut the pipes int he correct place after the 'y' split and couple the rear boxes onto it as you would do if you had the new centre section.
Actually quite easy to do, mine was a convertible so you have a few more steps but simply remove old exhaust and start fitting the new one. You have the centre section which connects to the original downpipe and then has a 'y' split on the other end to cater for the left and right boxes.
The 2 rear boxes have the there own silencer with the acoustic speaker fitted along side it and both sound exit pipe and fume exit pipes merge into one at the tail trim end.
Wiring is straightforward 2 wires to the CAN module either take it direct to the front where the glovebox is or terminate them into the loom under the back seat. 1 wire the the earth and another takes power from the rear fusebox. 2 other connectors go to each speaker unit under the car through previous grommets.
You will need to enable drive select in the mmi if you dont already have it and if you do add engine sound to the menu. This allows you to have Comfort/Auto/Dynamic modes to switch between. Comfort is off, Dynamic is on but very useable but Auto seems to be 'fook me thats loud'
Even with the system in comfort ie off there is still a nice 'burble' coming from the back boxes.
i have had this system on my A6 BiTDi and i personally love it. The ability to pull out of your driveway in silence and then wake the system up with a click of the mmi is great.
Mr.wreckless likes this.

Audi A6 BiTdi Avant
post #26 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangey. View Post
BigP care to upload a video of yours with fake boobs on and off? How long did it take you to do all the interior electrics would you say?

Once connected, did the system just automatically show up in your MMI then? Also again I assume its automatic that when using Drive Select, in comfort mode its off, but auto and dynamic stages it shows life?
I don't think a video would show you anything more than you've seen on youtube. Sound is of course more subtle inside and I keep it in Auto mode (well, until I next use VCDS and add the option to change sound on the Individual option and then I may think again).

Yes, it was automatically there in MMI under ADS. I don't have factory ADS but installed afterwards, but I assume you just get Auto setting if you don't have ADS. You still hear it in Comfort - you probably need to disconnect the silencer cables to get it back to standard.

post #27 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morski View Post
There are two parts to the kit, the rear 2 boxes with the control unit, wiring, etc and the 2nd part of the kit is the centre box. In actual fact you need to have this; ....
Just to clarify for others, that the 2nd part is for vehicles which have a double pipe on the nearside (ie UK) only e.g. 2.0 TDI and it is not necessary for the twin pipe (one each side) for the 3.0 TDI. Also, 2.0TDI models will of course need additional valance parts but at least the additional exhaust kit isn't too dear (have I mentioned that I've got one going cheap...?)

post #28 of 119 Old 22nd January 2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsilence View Post
Awesome questions by Grangey... I'd be curious to know too!

My other question is... can it be fitted alongside an aftermarket exhaust setup, or does it replace whatever rear pipes you may have? I'd love to run both the active sound system and an aftermarket exhaust setup side by side!!! My whip is still stock and only a few weeks in my ownership, so debating my upgrades and improving exhaust note is top of the list!
Yes, it replaces the rear pipes so you couldn't combine with twin dual pipes (S5 stylie) if that's what you're after. You probably need to butcher some SQ5 kit for that. However, if you mean a tuning exhaust as part of a performance upgrade, I can't really comment (I guess you don't like your neighbours then )

post #29 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 03:38 AM

Here's another video of the fake boobs, this time before the op - shows how it works in principle and it seems there is an aftermarket add-on to make it even louder (although when he first plugs in the original Audi module, I would say it's only running in Comfort mode - but hey, he wants to sell a gizmo at the end of the day!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7eFn7T1GEE&t=89s

post #30 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback,

So it doesnt sound like that big a deal afterall to fit.. any ideas how much an ini exhaust place might charge for the snip and fit (ie how long does this aspect really take)?

The big Im concerned about doing this the DIY route is the chassis drilling and then having to prime/paint to avoid corrosion. Electrics Im all good with but even though I've renovated an entire house myself, I just don't fancy drilling my cars Chassis as well as having to take out half the interior (after all boot liners are considered) so would rather give someone else that pleasure. Nobodys mentioned the drilling aspect though, so is this really the case or have I missed something?

Last edited by Grangey.; 23rd January 2017 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode