3.0 Tdi Active Exhaust - Page 4 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 115 Old 3rd February 2017, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

@Grangey - is this what you were thinking of? It does seem to give you more control over the existing Audi kit but it's different from the speaker link that you posted above (and seemingly not legal for road use, Germany at least).

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/so...di-a4-8k-a5-8t

I suppose you can pinch the idea of mounting a cut-out switch somewhere (probably taking the wires back to the power circuit in the boot rather than control on/off via the canbus connection wires which would otherwise be more convenient)

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust

Last edited by BigP; 3rd February 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 3rd February 2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangey. View Post
Wow so sorry to hear about that @Barmybob it sounds more than anything like you're local dealer is simply useless. Are they a proper Audi dealership or an Audi Franchise? Not that I'm suggesting franchises per say are any worse, my local one is a Franchise (under Marshalls ownership I believe) and whilst I've done very limited amounts with them they do generally seem ok. The fact they do seem so misaligned with Audi is very concerning. Are there no others within commutable distance from you? I seem quite lucky to have 3 within about 30-40 minutes either way of me, some (marginally) cheaper than others.
Before I left I took some pictures and emailed my service advisor. I received a very gracious apology and an assurance it will all be rectified upon my return. Can't say fairer than that

Now, time to go and put on some after-sun. Day 1 = Pink head

3.0 Tdi Quattro "Black Edition" Daytona Grey
----------------------------------------------------------
Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g

Last edited by Barmybob; 3rd February 2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #93 of 115 Old 3rd February 2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP View Post
@Grangey - is this what you were thinking of? It does seem to give you more control over the existing Audi kit but it's different from the speaker link that you posted above (and seemingly not legal for road use, Germany at least).
Reading through the German it would appear it is not legal because it is not been submitted for TUV testing, so it would not have a TUV certificate - something ALL modifications in Germany must have to be legal. The Audi system is apparently type approved so does not require a TUV.

Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g

post #94 of 115 Old 5th February 2017, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Hello Barmybob, yes I fitted a Audi factory active sound system to my car 2years ago.

Recently I also added on a Kufatec sound booster so I could make up my own sound.

This sound crazy now. Has a rough loud idle like its cammed up. When it get to loud cruising down the highway I just switch it off.

So many people ask me in the street if it got a v8 or a v10 in it... haha, I say no its just a oil burner diesel.

Here is my video of the system
Barmybob and Grangey. like this.
post #95 of 115 Old 5th February 2017, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Here is the link to the kufatec sound booster video. https://youtu.be/dJyMb66k09g
Barmybob likes this.

Last edited by Jamesrsd; 8th February 2017 at 04:29 AM.
post #96 of 115 Old 11th February 2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK back from my break, fantastic weather and a good holiday.

Regarding the car, that's a different matter. I had a more detailed look at the work today and I am now seriously miffed.

So as reported before - Tips positioned incorrectly, not all rivets used for securing the tips and screwdriver damage marks on the centre console near the rear vents.

I didn't think it could get any worse. This is an Audi option part, complete with a detailed instruction guide, being fitted by an Audi main dealer. Well I guess the fellow working on my car chose not to read the guide at all. Lifting down the left hand access panel in the boot I expected to find the exhaust control module neatly positioned, and riveted in place. Well no! The control unit was just sitting loose, on the floor under the big black housing and amp!

I am absolutely furious - I chose to pay an Audi dealer nigh on 300 with the expectation that the item would be fitted, somewhat professionally, and at least in accordance with their own Audi accessory fitting instructions. Thus far I have failed to see any single element of their work come anywhere near that expectation. Every single element I have checked would be worse than I would expect to find if it had been fitted by an inexperienced DIY mechanic who had never seen or read the fitting guide.

I feel like I've been totally ripped off

Last edited by Barmybob; 11th February 2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #97 of 115 Old 11th February 2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)

Bob, you feel like that because you have been....

Let us know how you get on when you take it back and ask them to fit it properly.....or give you all your money back.

Don't think they will be doing the servicing though........based on current performance I wouldn't trust them to empty the ashtray. ...

Sober since 1st January 2016......unfortunately it is now clear to me how fucked up our world is. It's enough to turn a man to drink.....
post #98 of 115 Old 11th February 2017, 03:23 PM

Sorry things haven't worked out for you - I hope you can start to enjoy the sound now you're back from hols though.

As I mentioned above, there's a few places to bolt the module (I hope they left you the mounting bracket!) but I presume you'll be asking them to sort that out with the others items. The kit comes with 6 rivets for a reason! Did they use the coupe rivet places instead of sportback then (it's difficult to tell them apart I know, if you aren't wearing your glasses )

I wouldn't dream of leaving a control module laying around (I'm glad they didn't rivet it in place), not use plastic trim tools, not properly tape the wires with black automotive tape into the existing loom, and generally have some pride over a proper job.

One things for sure, you'll be having a crack at your next mod though

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #99 of 115 Old 11th February 2017, 03:27 PM

I just thought. ... at least you didn't pay full wack and feel ripped off afterwards!

post #100 of 115 Old 13th February 2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

So sorry to hear that Big P.

I'm DEFINITELY going to have a crack at doing the wiring bits myself after reading your post.

I have some good news.... My active sound exhaust should be coming tomorrow!!!! Tomorrow is also the due date for my second child so hopefully I will have two beautiful things arriving tomorrow, keep us in your thoughts and prayers that all goes well

I have a dealer warranty that runs out in March so won't get the exhaust itself installed until then, but in the meantime I'm gonna see what I can do about the wiring and get that in place!!! This should be fun!!!! May need some help from A5OC to get my head around it and get this party started!!!
post #101 of 115 Old 14th February 2017, 10:28 AM

Any news @Barmybob?

Good luck with the very precious newcomer to your family @unsilence and I hope all goes well for you both (oh... and same with the new baby too )

post #102 of 115 Old 14th February 2017, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrsd View Post
Here is the link to the kufatec sound booster video. https://youtu.be/dJyMb66k09g

is that a recirculating valve I hear about 40 seconds in?

Audi A5 3.0 TDI QUADDRO - AIR SUSPENSION - 76MM CUSTOM EXHAUST - REVO INTAKE - HYDRODIPPED
post #103 of 115 Old 15th February 2017, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

guys can this be fitted to a petrol?!!!!
post #104 of 115 Old 15th February 2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlm96 View Post
is that a recirculating valve I hear about 40 seconds in?
It sounds like boost trying to get back through the turbo vanes, often called Turbo Chatter.

post #105 of 115 Old 19th February 2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Any news @Barmybob?
Thanks for asking....

Car booked in, they wish to keep it for several days to replace trim and address the fitting issues

I have also ordered a CETE BLE module to enhance the sound profiles. It will disable the system completely in comfort mode, behave as standard in AUTO but prevent the system shutting off at 3000rpm and allow full modification in other modes.

They have mentioned sending me instruction on how to enable a Motor sound function in the INDIVIDUAL settings menu.

Last edited by Barmybob; 19th February 2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #106 of 115 Old 19th February 2017, 11:20 PM

Good news - I look forward to hearing about the additional module and how to add the settings to the INDIVIDUAL setting

post #107 of 115 Old 22nd February 2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmybob View Post
Thanks for asking....

Car booked in, they wish to keep it for several days to replace trim and address the fitting issues

I have also ordered a CETE BLE module to enhance the sound profiles. It will disable the system completely in comfort mode, behave as standard in AUTO but prevent the system shutting off at 3000rpm and allow full modification in other modes.

They have mentioned sending me instruction on how to enable a Motor sound function in the INDIVIDUAL settings menu.
Hahaha nice one Barmybob!

Exhaust arrived... in the end paid 230 all in (had a family contact sort out the courier for me and didn't charge me, what a lovely bunch!)

The actual pipes themselves look used, one even has a very minor dent from what was probably a very nasty bump, everything else looks brand new in the box and untouched, including the chrome black tips

I can't decide whether to go for the CETE BLE module, or go the Kufatec route. Kufatec seems much more customisable, but CETE have that awesome Active Sound Gateway app have that phone app that's just soooo user-friendly to edit the sound instantly afrom your phone, as opposed to the Kufatec route of whipping out my laptop and hooking it up to the car every time I fancy tinkering with the sound...

Dealership warranty on my whip runs until end of March, so going to wait patiently for a month while I deliberate my options.

I'm still seriously considering DPF delete + custom exhaust + wield the sound resonators/actuators onto the custom exhaust... hmmm... maybe do a custom quad exhaust setup, two exits for the real thing and two for the active sound hahaha!
post #108 of 115 Old 23rd February 2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Now had a chance to play with the CETE module and I like it.

It was all a bit confusing at first but once I worked it all out (Activation Method Etc.) and re-named the profiles I really like it.

I have a profile for Efficiency (Quiet), Comfort (ALL OFF), Auto (Similar to Audi - Dynamic) and Dynamic (Very loud and noisy :O ) The system allows you to edit each of the profiles to suit which is a nice touch. Once you have the APP running on your smartphone you can view and edit each profile as you select it via DRIVE SELECT. There are options to change profiles via other buttons, such as the engine start / stop button, for those without drive select.

I am very happy with the CETE module addition. It's a bit expensive but is simple to install (Fits in-line) with no extra cabling or switches needed. For me the complete OFF option is rather handy too for those stealthy 5am starts, far less likely to have the neighbours getting upset.

The system now functions more like it should have from Audi!

post #109 of 115 Old 23rd February 2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Now had a chance to play with the CETE module and I like it.

It was all a bit confusing at first but once I worked it all out (Activation Method Etc.) and re-named the profiles I really like it.

I have a profile for Efficiency (Quiet), Comfort (ALL OFF), Auto (Similar to Audi - Dynamic) and Dynamic (Very loud and noisy :O ) The system allows you to edit each of the profiles to suit which is a nice touch. Once you have the APP running on your smartphone you can view and edit each profile as you select it via DRIVE SELECT. There are options to change profiles via other buttons, such as the engine start / stop button, for those without drive select.

I am very happy with the CETE module addition. It's a bit expensive but is simple to install (Fits in-line) with no extra cabling or switches needed. For me the complete OFF option is rather handy too for those stealthy 5am starts, far less likely to have the neighbours getting upset.

The system now functions more like it should have from Audi!
Awesome review, thanks barmybob!!!
post #110 of 115 Old 23rd February 2017, 04:57 PM

Red face Here we go...

Quote:

You'll need to remove the trim either side of the boot, the floor cover and the plastic protective trim across the opening - the kit comes with cable ties with press in studs to fix the cable across the width of the boot, into the available holes.

From there you'll see how the cable will run along the right wheel arch and down into the seat area. I then used electricians rods to pull it under the carpet by the transmission tunnel (make sure you protect the connectors with masking tape after bending the wire back) up into the rear of the centre console, feeding it through the left side of the console. You'll have to remove the glovebox which is about 6 screws. Here's a guide on trim removal but there's a few others (on here too).

All you need is in the kit but you should end up with 3 useless rivets

oCarbon ? blog B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide
Hey BigP,

Hope you can help...

So I've picked up a trim removal kit and the Dremel..... I'm going to be attempting the electrics soon with some friends... exactly what trim elements need removing?

Is this right:

1. Boot side walls
2. Boot protective trim across the opening of the boot
3. Seats to be removed?
4. Rear of the centre console??? (what about the centre console top surrounds where the brushed aluminium normally sits on an S line model)
5. Glovebox opening to be removed/dropped

Any of those unnecessary? And am I missing anything? (e.g. I have no idea how to get the wires under the carpet without an electrician's rod, if you guys can recommend the right kind of Rod off Amazon or fleabay that'd be great )

Many thanks for your help and inspiration on this thread!!!
post #111 of 115 Old 24th February 2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsilence View Post
Hey BigP,

Hope you can help...

So I've picked up a trim removal kit and the Dremel..... I'm going to be attempting the electrics soon with some friends... exactly what trim elements need removing?

Is this right:

1. Boot side walls
2. Boot protective trim across the opening of the boot
3. Seats to be removed?
4. Rear of the centre console??? (what about the centre console top surrounds where the brushed aluminium normally sits on an S line model)
5. Glovebox opening to be removed/dropped

Any of those unnecessary? And am I missing anything? (e.g. I have no idea how to get the wires under the carpet without an electrician's rod, if you guys can recommend the right kind of Rod off Amazon or fleabay that'd be great )

Many thanks for your help and inspiration on this thread!!!
Hi. Yes, you've listed the right items and the tricky bit is the centre console which isn't really too bad.

1. Just remove the round plastic press-in studs underneath the rear parcel shelf (if that's what it's called..?, mine's a coupe). You don't need to remove the rear bench release controls, the trim (again on coupe) folds around these. Then everything else just pulls away so check for any clips which have stayed in their holes.
2. just pulls upwards after you peel back the rubber strip (same goes for 1)
3. seat benches just pull up - squeeze yourself in there and adopt a weight-lifter stance while grabbing each seat half from underneath and pull up (just don't follow-through at this stage...). The housings came off with the seat when I did mine, so I took them off and replaced them before I fitted the seat back in (a little fiddly to get them off)
4. We'll come back to that one
5. there're about 6 or 7 bolts that need to come off, I just did it by feel, most are inside the glovebox and a few things need unplugging

4. part A. You'll now see see how you can root the cable from the fuses/relays over the wheel arch alongside the existing loom to the now exposed area under the seat. Feed the cable around the edge of the carpet towards the centre console. Take out the ashtray. Now use your trim tools to feel your way around the vent unit which un-clips away. Looking down into the hole you'll find a very awkward black bolt (passenger side) which holds the back/bottom section in place. I found it awkward as the bolt is longer than the allowed room to remove it (I must have been doing it wrong). Once undone, the charger port etc un-clips away leaving a void. Now you can see where the carpet is cut as it comes under the centre console. By lifting the back of the console a little I was able to push a rod in from the seat area, under the carpet and then into the void we've just created.

4. part B. You now have a choice. You can strip parts of the top centre console trim, unclipping as you go, or feed the cable out through to the rear passenger feet area, between the carpet and centre console trim - then it's just a case of feeding the cable up within the trim which runs the length of the passenger side transmission tunnel until you reach the canbus module behind the dash.

Any electricians rods will do - they come in 1m or 30cm sections the latter costing under 7 on ebay and you won't be needing much length. Just take care with the cable when you feed it under the carpet as the connectors are delicate. I wrapped them in tape and them bent the cable back and taped it to itself creating a loop which I could pull through. Good luck!
Barmybob likes this.

post #112 of 115 Old 27th February 2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Hi. Yes, you've listed the right items and the tricky bit is the centre console which isn't really too bad.

1. Just remove the round plastic press-in studs underneath the rear parcel shelf (if that's what it's called..?, mine's a coupe). You don't need to remove the rear bench release controls, the trim (again on coupe) folds around these. Then everything else just pulls away so check for any clips which have stayed in their holes.
2. just pulls upwards after you peel back the rubber strip (same goes for 1)
3. seat benches just pull up - squeeze yourself in there and adopt a weight-lifter stance while grabbing each seat half from underneath and pull up (just don't follow-through at this stage...). The housings came off with the seat when I did mine, so I took them off and replaced them before I fitted the seat back in (a little fiddly to get them off)
4. We'll come back to that one
5. there're about 6 or 7 bolts that need to come off, I just did it by feel, most are inside the glovebox and a few things need unplugging

4. part A. You'll now see see how you can root the cable from the fuses/relays over the wheel arch alongside the existing loom to the now exposed area under the seat. Feed the cable around the edge of the carpet towards the centre console. Take out the ashtray. Now use your trim tools to feel your way around the vent unit which un-clips away. Looking down into the hole you'll find a very awkward black bolt (passenger side) which holds the back/bottom section in place. I found it awkward as the bolt is longer than the allowed room to remove it (I must have been doing it wrong). Once undone, the charger port etc un-clips away leaving a void. Now you can see where the carpet is cut as it comes under the centre console. By lifting the back of the console a little I was able to push a rod in from the seat area, under the carpet and then into the void we've just created.

4. part B. You now have a choice. You can strip parts of the top centre console trim, unclipping as you go, or feed the cable out through to the rear passenger feet area, between the carpet and centre console trim - then it's just a case of feeding the cable up within the trim which runs the length of the passenger side transmission tunnel until you reach the canbus module behind the dash.

Any electricians rods will do - they come in 1m or 30cm sections the latter costing under 7 on ebay and you won't be needing much length. Just take care with the cable when you feed it under the carpet as the connectors are delicate. I wrapped them in tape and them bent the cable back and taped it to itself creating a loop which I could pull through. Good luck!
WOW - thank you SO MUCH for the detailed write-up!!!

I've got one four more weeks before my warranty runs out... so as soon as that clock strikes I'm gonna get this done! I'll keep you guys posted on how it all goes! I'll try to document it with photos as well so maybe I can add photos to go with your notes for future forum members that might wanna do the same thing.

Love this forum!
post #113 of 115 Old 7th March 2017, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys.

Really hope you can help me.

I've installed this kit on my car and although it does work, I have to manually enable it every time I start the car.
Also, it makes a rumble only in Dynamic mode. The other modes are quiet.

I've tried to add "C0-Act. for Ext. Noise" module in VAGcom but it can not be reached. I've also manually added
the sound selection menu in Individual settings but it doesn't change the output. It's as if the module was not connected.

I suspect that some additional coding is missing. Has any of you received some instructions from Kufatec or similar? And do you
have to select Dynamic every time you turn on ignition?

Would be super if you could share your code / ideas..
post #114 of 115 Old 12th March 2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Well the Audi dealer now have the car, I dropped it off on Friday morning. They have assured me they'll address all the issues so fingers crossed.

They clearly wish to court favour with me as this time they've given me a brand new (March 17) Audi TT roadster with less than 500 miles. It is a Black 1.8 S-line with a nice set of options. As with the A4 they gave me previously it has that fabulous integrated satellite navigation system too

I have been thinking that the A5 could be replaced in the not too distant future by a new TTRS. Have to say that in many ways I think I could just about live with the smaller Audi TT, especially the interior. From the funky steering wheel, dashboard layout and heater controls to the supportive seats it all seems a much more modern and stylish place than my 2013 A5. Sadly the party is spoilt a little by the road noise and I am also not too sure about the modern Audi exterior styling, but it may grow on me. But I really don't like the 1.8 Tfsi with manual gearbox. The fuel consumption is not great and I'm struggling to get it past 35mpg average. Today I missed the Quattro system too, wheel spin away from a junction, in the wet, was a novel occurrence.

So whilst it is nice of Audi to keep lending me these new cars I still just want my A5 back.

post #115 of 115 Old 15th March 2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well it seems my Audi life is never easy.

Before I dropped the car off I removed the battery and disconnected the CETE. The exhaust returned to normal and all was good However the morning I was taking the car in to get the damage sorted the exhaust system just stopped working!

I received a call from Audi early in the week - All the trim had been replaced, the exhaust system has also been removed and fitted correctly but they can't get it to work! They need to call tech support in Germany. I then get a call today - they can't find anything wrong but suspect the ECU has died - item is factory back order, could take weeks.

The sunroof seals are also not a simple fix apparently something inside the sunroof is damaged too - Factory back order again.

And they have found the problem with my intermittent reverse camera - a damaged cable. Apparently cables are not covered under the Audi warranty, but the very nice fellows have agreed to replace as a goodwill gesture - top blokes but you've guessed it - factory back order again.

So, whilst I was hugely disappointed with their first shot at working on my car I am really impressed at the way they have upped their customer service and turned the situation around. Just got some time to wait before the car is fully sorted.

Last edited by Barmybob; 15th March 2017 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode