3.0 Tdi Active Exhaust - Page 3 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
Mine is at the dealer now and will hopefully be completed today. I will do my best to get some pictures and clips uploaded but it might have to wait until I return from a few days away. The car will sadly be sat in a car park at the Airport for the next few days

3.0 Tdi Quattro "Black Edition" Daytona Grey
----------------------------------------------------------
Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Thanks again @BigP, I'm sure this will all make a lot more sense when I make a start at it, or even open the boxes for that matter! I'm already concerned looking at the instructions over connecting the power and removing fuse sections, but I'm sure the reality of this is far simpler than the description.

I have a woman free weekend next weekend so I've got a good couple of days run at this to get this all wired in and everything put back together

Black A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition Coupe
post #63 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking at the trim removal guide, above, a set of THESE may come in handy.

Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g

post #64 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 08:31 AM

I bought this set a little while back, its been invaluable already with just replacing my interior lights and swapping out my MMI unit https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 bargain for 6 with prime!

post #65 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK I've got my car back.... just driven home from the dealer.

Somewhat puzzled with the settings at the moment, I thought it would be different. The exhaust seems to be active in ALL modes on the drive select but all slightly different.

Comfort = Quietest mode of all, just a light burble.
Auto = Fair bit more noise. Will probably be where I leave it if I'm honest.
ECO = Seems to be a similar level as Auto.
Dynamic = The biggest burble and it all sounds rather good

There is however another issue, my maps don't seem to be working!

post #66 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 10:22 AM

Great feedback so far @Barmybob, how "quiet" is Comfort now vs how it was before given its now so fresh to you?

Maps not working unlikely to be a big deal. When I retrofitted my new 3G+ unit (which naturally had been without power for quite some time), it needed a good 20-30 minutes of driving around for it to realise a) its not where it thought i was, and b) really show proper signs of life. If yours is similar I'd think its down to having your battery disconnected for a while as part of the retrofit, could well be wrong though.

post #67 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There appears to be no "OFF" mode, which I kind of expected there to be. The Comfort mode is the quietest mode available and does still have the sound actuator functioning. Another thing I expected was an option in the "Set Individual" menu enabling the exhaust mode to be edited, not that it's any issue.

So far I am rather pleased with it all. Just a shame that I'm going off in search of some sun and leaving the car behind for a few days, guess it will be something to look forward whilst I'm away

MAPS = I went for another drive and the Navigation system did respond... phew Oddly though when I re-set the MMI it defaulted back to the previous map position again.

post #68 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmybob View Post
There appears to be no "OFF" mode, which I kind of expected there to be. The Comfort mode is the quietest mode available and does still have the sound actuator functioning. Another thing I expected was an option in the "Set Individual" menu enabling the exhaust mode to be edited, not that it's any issue.

So far I am rather pleased with it all. Just a shame that I'm going off in search of some sun and leaving the car behind for a few days, guess it will be something to look forward whilst I'm away

MAPS = I went for another drive and the Navigation system did respond... phew Oddly though when I re-set the MMI it defaulted back to the previous map position again.
For a few hundred quid, you can buy some aftermarket "sound modules" that let you edit the sound in terms of volume, tone, save settings for each of the different drive select modes, etc... Kufatec do one and Cete do one and they're plug and play apparently... but enjoy the holiday! And as for the exhaust... good things come to those who wait... actually, bun that, it's all electronic, you don't even have to bed in the exhaust for it to sound better hahaha!

Apparently that exhaust is going to now arrive TOMORROW... going to give them a ring midday and see if I can get my mitts on one of these boys!
post #69 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I suspect the "SOUND" option in the drive select menu isn't anything to do with the exhaust but is actuallyTHIS

Last edited by Barmybob; 1st February 2017 at 12:35 PM.
post #70 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I suspect the "SOUND" option in the drive select menu isn't anything to do with the exhaust but is actuallyTHIS
Not heard of that before, looks like Kifatec also have their own version

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/sound-actuator-mini

which based on that post seems alot simpler and guaranteed to work!

I am surprised though that you dont have the option in the MMI, I too thought this would be the case. I would like the ability to tweak the sound or even turn it off, so looks like in the mid term I'll be buying an add on kit which I can change the tones and sound by my phone for simplicity.

post #71 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:

Hi. There's no off option (thought I'd mentioned that above) so it's either disconnect plug from each sound activator or remove the connection into the relay. I still haven't been able to use my VCDS as it's my daughter's laptop and she's "far too busy" to let me borrow it. I'll do it asap and let you know.

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #72 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I think, all 3.0TDIs come with a sound improver from factory (and others no doubt), that's why you get that whirr noise instead of a tractor sound. My Golf V GTI had one too.

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #73 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangey. View Post
I bought this set a little while back, its been invaluable already with just replacing my interior lights and swapping out my MMI unit https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 bargain for 6 with prime!
Don't forget the connector extraction tool!

post #74 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:44 PM

Kufatec certainly appear to be working on something to enable the exhaust change within the MMI

"We provide the profile change with Drive Select only for the Audi A3 8V, A8 4H and Q7 4M series at the moment. But soon more vehicles will follow. You can link one sound profile respectively with a driving mode here as well. If you change the mode, the sound profile will also change."

At the moment their module appears to allow you to change sound settings via the cruise stalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP View Post
Don't forget the connector extraction tool!
Should be arriving tomorrow

post #75 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 02:09 PM

So, I've just nabbed my princess's laptop (our needs are greater than hers) and I couldn't find an option on "09 Central Elec" long code helper to add the exhaust sound system to the list of individual options (byte 8). I'll have another look when I have more time but the instructions did say not to code the new sound module - but perhaps you need to, in order for the options to display.

Does anyone here have the sound exhaust on SQ5 or A7 with ADS who can say what options they have under individual?

post #76 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Kufatec certainly appear to be working on something to enable the exhaust change within the MMI

"We provide the profile change with Drive Select only for the Audi A3 8V, A8 4H and Q7 4M series at the moment. But soon more vehicles will follow. You can link one sound profile respectively with a driving mode here as well. If you change the mode, the sound profile will also change."

At the moment their module appears to allow you to change sound settings via the cruise stalk
:
I think this is just an advanced and configurable version of the exhaust sound speaker that comes with the car, rather than it necessarily being connected with the replacment exhaust (other than them both reacting to the position of the accelerator etc )

post #77 of 119 Old 2nd February 2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
OK, cold light of day and I am not a happy bunny

First thing I've noticed this morning is that the black tips have been drilled and fitted in the wrong place!
Second thing, Only two holes have been drilled, not three!
And finally, the one reason why I didn't want to do this job myself, they've damaged the interior trim.

I've not had a chance to investigate further but I will be going through this with a very keen eye when I get back. If my initial findings are anything to go by I might be in for bigger surprises when I look further

My message to you all, if you care about your car - do it yourself.

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that Barmybob. But thanks for the heads up. I'd like to think that a dealer would do a proper job...

I'm actually thinking of spending a whole day (or two) doing the wiring... never done an exhaust before, the closest I've ever done to mechanical work was remove and paint brake calipers on my old A3 and that was brave for me! Which means the exhaust installation will need to go to a trusted garage my in-laws have used for years... but if it does, I'll make sure I stick around, keep a close eye, buy the staff nice stuff from the local bakery... etc.... LOL

Given the size of each rear pipe with the actuators attached, do you guys think the exhaust could be done just by jacking up the car with a regular car jack or will it need to go on a proper lift?
post #78 of 119 Old 2nd February 2017, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am sure if the follow the instructions everything will be fine, it just appears that Audi techs think they know better!

post #79 of 119 Old 2nd February 2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
OK, cold light of day and I am not a happy bunny

First thing I've noticed this morning is that the black tips have been drilled and fitted in the wrong place!
Second thing, Only two holes have been drilled, not three!
And finally, the one reason why I didn't want to do this job myself, they've damaged the interior trim.

I've not had a chance to investigate further but I will be going through this with a very keen eye when I get back. If my initial findings are anything to go by I might be in for bigger surprises when I look further

My message to you all, if you care about your car - do it yourself.
I'm very sorry to hear that. It's why I do these things myself - around the house as well, as I've only ended up fixing tradesmen's issues down the line anyway.

Tips in wrong place - you mean the wrong length position for the car? The rivets will need drilling out and refixing but then you'll have two unwanted holes in the pipe (can't remember if they'll still be covered by the black tips or out in the open)

Only two holes drilled - you mean riveted? Did they only install the tips once the exhaust was fitted? It seemed quite a tight fit on mine before the rivets went in, so probably not too much of an issue but certainly not the 100% perfect you expected

Let us know how we can help.
post #80 of 119 Old 2nd February 2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsilence View Post
Given the size of each rear pipe with the actuators attached, do you guys think the exhaust could be done just by jacking up the car with a regular car jack or will it need to go on a proper lift?
No, not essential, we used jacks and axle stands.

post #81 of 119 Old 2nd February 2017, 04:11 AM

Wow so sorry to hear about that @Barmybob it sounds more than anything like you're local dealer is simply useless. Are they a proper Audi dealership or an Audi Franchise? Not that I'm suggesting franchises per say are any worse, my local one is a Franchise (under Marshalls ownership I believe) and whilst I've done very limited amounts with them they do generally seem ok. The fact they do seem so misaligned with Audi is very concerning. Are there no others within commutable distance from you? I seem quite lucky to have 3 within about 30-40 minutes either way of me, some (marginally) cheaper than others.

@BigP you might be right, when I've had the active exhaust for a while I may look into it further or decide its not neccisary. My biggest concern without having fitted it yet is not having the ability to turn off the sounds entirely and go back to stock "silence" if you wanted. Kufatec or at least some other add-on systems imply you can do this with theres, by both giving you 6+ different sound options, and being able to control the volume - one indicating it can be turned off.

That said, I'm sure when I get it fitted, it'll probably so negligible in comfort mode in reality once fitted I'll have no need to think about it!

I do wonder how people without ADS are supposed to deal with having different sound options though. Theres nothing in the instructions that suggests this is a requirement... so logic tells me there must be some way of switching sounds through the MMI for just this reason. Or was ADS basically a standard feature on all 3.0tdis?

post #82 of 119 Old 2nd February 2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
@BigP you might be right, when I've had the active exhaust for a while I may look into it further or decide its not neccisary. My biggest concern without having fitted it yet is not having the ability to turn off the sounds entirely and go back to stock "silence" if you wanted. Kufatec or at least some other add-on systems imply you can do this with theres, by both giving you 6+ different sound options, and being able to control the volume - one indicating it can be turned off.
I think when they say "silence" they are just referring to their own speaker, not the sound generated by the exhaust kit (or have I misunderstood what you want to gain from it?)

Quote:
That said, I'm sure when I get it fitted, it'll probably so negligible in comfort mode in reality once fitted I'll have no need to think about it!
Mine's been set in Auto mostly, which is my preferred overall setting - it's likely to stay like that as well, unless I can find a way to enable the options under Individual settings

Quote:
I do wonder how people without ADS are supposed to deal with having different sound options though. Theres nothing in the instructions that suggests this is a requirement... so logic tells me there must be some way of switching sounds through the MMI for just this reason. Or was ADS basically a standard feature on all 3.0tdis?
No ADS isn't standard (I didn't come on mine), just for S5 I think - do you have it? Without it, I think it just stays in Auto mode, which is the default for the other car settings. It may change to a Dynamic sound setting when you shift the gear lever into S mode though, now there's something to check.

post #83 of 119 Old 3rd February 2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
stuff
I dont know why, I just really fancy the ability to have all these sounds.. but also be able to turn it all off entirely so it can sound completely stock if I ever wanted. Seriously, no idea why, but the idea this is electric, thus have the ability to be turned off just seems like such a simple thing to do!

Yeah mine has full ADS, so not so much an issue for me, just wondered that with this mod being available for all 3.0tdis many of which wont have ADS, why Audi wouldnt develop a piece in the firmware that would allow users to select their "default" sound. There are 3-4 sounds availible from what I understand with this kit, whereas without ADS you'd only get 1- seems a waste is all!

Its bugging me having these two boxes sat in my shower room doing nothing... *must. have. patience!*

post #84 of 119 Old 3rd February 2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I dont know why, I just really fancy the ability to have all these sounds.. but also be able to turn it all off entirely so it can sound completely stock if I ever wanted. Seriously, no idea why, but the idea this is electric, thus have the ability to be turned off just seems like such a simple thing to do!

Yeah mine has full ADS, so not so much an issue for me, just wondered that with this mod being available for all 3.0tdis many of which wont have ADS, why Audi wouldnt develop a piece in the firmware that would allow users to select their "default" sound. There are 3-4 sounds availible from what I understand with this kit, whereas without ADS you'd only get 1- seems a waste is all!

Its bugging me having these two boxes sat in my shower room doing nothing... *must. have. patience!*
Aaah, waiting... patience... I feel ya maaan!!!

Firstly, I' waiting on a delivery quote and a quality check from Audi before they're able to finalise prise and give me the chance to nab one of these toys...

Secondly, I have a non-Audi dealership warranty in place that runs out in March... so no mods until then... AAAARGH...

In the meantime, I'll be planning my dream mod list carefully...

On a completely unrelated note, I drove past another black Audi A5 facelift today in my are which ALSO had a blacked out grille and chrome surrounds! What are the chances! Not many A5s in my area sadly, spotting one is like the fanboy equivalent of a nature lover seeing a wild horse galloping in the distance... LOL i'm suuuch a geek
Audi-Nutz likes this.
post #85 of 119 Old 3rd February 2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:

With the active exhaust, you certainly get most of the benefit outside of the car and it's more subtle inside of course. Did you see my video above where the German guy was demonstrating a module which plugged inline to the Audi exhaust sound module provided in the standard kit? Perhaps that has the ability of switching it all off completely (as well as enhancing it).

post #86 of 119 Old 3rd February 2017, 10:48 AM

@Grangey - is this what you were thinking of? It does seem to give you more control over the existing Audi kit but it's different from the speaker link that you posted above (and seemingly not legal for road use, Germany at least).

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/so...di-a4-8k-a5-8t

I suppose you can pinch the idea of mounting a cut-out switch somewhere (probably taking the wires back to the power circuit in the boot rather than control on/off via the canbus connection wires which would otherwise be more convenient)

Last edited by BigP; 3rd February 2017 at 11:05 AM.
post #87 of 119 Old 3rd February 2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Wow so sorry to hear about that @Barmybob it sounds more than anything like you're local dealer is simply useless. Are they a proper Audi dealership or an Audi Franchise? Not that I'm suggesting franchises per say are any worse, my local one is a Franchise (under Marshalls ownership I believe) and whilst I've done very limited amounts with them they do generally seem ok. The fact they do seem so misaligned with Audi is very concerning. Are there no others within commutable distance from you? I seem quite lucky to have 3 within about 30-40 minutes either way of me, some (marginally) cheaper than others.
Before I left I took some pictures and emailed my service advisor. I received a very gracious apology and an assurance it will all be rectified upon my return. Can't say fairer than that

Now, time to go and put on some after-sun. Day 1 = Pink head

Last edited by Barmybob; 3rd February 2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #88 of 119 Old 3rd February 2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
@Grangey - is this what you were thinking of? It does seem to give you more control over the existing Audi kit but it's different from the speaker link that you posted above (and seemingly not legal for road use, Germany at least).
Reading through the German it would appear it is not legal because it is not been submitted for TUV testing, so it would not have a TUV certificate - something ALL modifications in Germany must have to be legal. The Audi system is apparently type approved so does not require a TUV.

post #89 of 119 Old 5th February 2017, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Hello Barmybob, yes I fitted a Audi factory active sound system to my car 2years ago.

Recently I also added on a Kufatec sound booster so I could make up my own sound.

This sound crazy now. Has a rough loud idle like its cammed up. When it get to loud cruising down the highway I just switch it off.

So many people ask me in the street if it got a v8 or a v10 in it... haha, I say no its just a oil burner diesel.

Here is my video of the system
Barmybob and Grangey. like this.
post #90 of 119 Old 5th February 2017, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Here is the link to the kufatec sound booster video. https://youtu.be/dJyMb66k09g
Barmybob likes this.

Last edited by Jamesrsd; 8th February 2017 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode