3.0 Tdi Active Exhaust - Page 2 - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

I think you are only looking at about 1 hour to fit actual exhaust and suggest you do the wiring yourself its very easy to do. So around 60 or less.
Dont follow the part about the drill chassis to fit holder as i think its a bit stupid of audi to even suggest that. And no matter what it will rust out one day. The module sits on the left side cubby hole so use cable ties or screw the holder to your mmi rack or cable tie to the loom; whatever is easiest and secure. My cab is very very restricted in the left side yet i managed to find a secure spot for it
Grangey. likes this.

Audi A6 BiTdi Avant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Thanks @morski,

My final question I think for now- if I ordered this but wasnt in a rush per say to get it all up and running, would there be any harm in having the exhaust modifications done first without the wiring? Or should for example the wiring be done first / at the same time?

Black A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition Coupe
post #33 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

No problem at all if you wanted to fit the exhaust first and do wiring later. However the wiring needs to drop down to each of the backboxes from behind the heatshields which have to come off first to enable you to pull the grommet out and fees the cable through.
If your a bit ambidextrous then im sure it can be done but just a heads up.
TBH the wiring is not something you should worry about as it really is very simple and i/we can guide you if you plan to tackle it yourself
Grangey. likes this.

Audi A6 BiTdi Avant

post #34 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangey. View Post
Thanks for the feedback,

So it doesnt sound like that big a deal afterall to fit.. any ideas how much an ini exhaust place might charge for the snip and fit (ie how long does this aspect really take)?

The big Im concerned about doing this the DIY route is the chassis drilling and then having to prime/paint to avoid corrosion. Electrics Im all good with but even though I've renovated an entire house myself, I just don't fancy drilling my cars Chassis as well as having to take out half the interior (after all boot liners are considered) so would rather give someone else that pleasure. Nobodys mentioned the drilling aspect though, so is this really the case or have I missed something?
The exhaust places I called weren't interested as they weren't selling the parts. I had a local mechanic do it and he charged 50+vat, just over an hour and he was happy to be directed by me. Forget about the method of fixing it to the inner wheel arch, I know what you mean - there are a few options for mounting the module. I was able to bolt the frame onto the plastic carrier for the B&O kit but have a look around inside, I'm sure you'll find something.

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #35 of 119 Old 23rd January 2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morski View Post
No problem at all if you wanted to fit the exhaust first and do wiring later. However the wiring needs to drop down to each of the backboxes from behind the heatshields which have to come off first to enable you to pull the grommet out and fees the cable through.
If your a bit ambidextrous then im sure it can be done but just a heads up.
TBH the wiring is not something you should worry about as it really is very simple and i/we can guide you if you plan to tackle it yourself
I agree - if you do the exhaust first, just poke the two cables through at the same time ie, when you able to remove the heat shields.

Oh... and I bet your patience won't last long and you'll want get it fitted without delay

2013 A5 Coupe s-line Black Ed 3.0tdi quattro phantom black - tech pack, electric/heated seats, light pack
Mods completed: s-tronic gear knob, memory seats, Audi rear camera, Connect/Google, kerb-tilt mirror, Bluespark CR Tech 2 tuning box, Audi Drive Select, Audi Active Exhaust
post #36 of 119 Old 24th January 2017, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Garage
Out of curiosity, what was the final price supplied and fitted, using the ebay offer?

Beep beep.
post #37 of 119 Old 24th January 2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Garage
OK they quoted 3.5 hours to fit @ the accessory rate of 90P/H = 315 I managed to get a small discount on this rate. I wanted them to do all the work as the car is still under warranty. I am also happy for them to have the stress of removing / not damaging any trim.

The exhaust is on ebay, from Boston Audi @ 250 (Or offer) + 45 p&p = 295. My dealer has matched my offer + postage.

All in it will be supplied, fitted and warranted for a shade under 600, I'm more than happy with that.

3.0 Tdi Quattro "Black Edition" Daytona Grey
----------------------------------------------------------
Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g
post #38 of 119 Old 24th January 2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Diameter pipe size???

Hmmmm, did some reading around looking at some of the alternatives to the OEM Audi Active exhaust, you've got Kufatec out there, you've got Cete...

From what guys have said in this thread and reading around on websites/YouTube etc. the Cete active physical sound resonating modules seem to work with other existing exhaust systems provided you can find the space to install one. Whereas the Audi Active Exhaust is part of the rear pipes themselves after the Y pipe...

I'd love to know what size exhaust pipe diameter the Audi Active Sounds exhaust pipes actually are, and what about the exhaust tips... I assume they're the same as stock? Are the black tips replaceable? Any ideas?

I'm THIS close to pulling the trigger and grabbing one of these and then also grabbing a Kufatec or Cete sound module to go with it for more control of the artificial sound... and I'm also super curious how this sound would "blend" together with doing a DPF replacement downpipe or hollowed out DPF... man, I just wish someone had already done this it'd save me so much guessing... or wasted money on experiments!!! LOL
post #39 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 01:14 AM

Well, bit the bullet and just agree'd a price with the seller on ebay! I dont feel I'm actually in a huge rush to fit this weirdly, but wanted to secure the price in case it dissapears (I know I've already paid more than BigP but the seller wouldnt seem to budge).

My local audi said the kits rrp was 850 and couldn't come anywhere near that price so that helped secure the deal!

My local mechanic seemed to think he was capable of doing the exhaust work and charges 45 per hour, although he sounded dubious when I mentioned from feedback it sounded like it was an hours work- not that he's seen the instructions yet.

Watch this space, all I need now is a spare weekend to get the wiring in when it turns up!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it helped alot and probably saved me money in the long wrong from splashing out on an aftermarket system that would have removed the OEM ness I wanted to keep for eventual resale. The only thing bugging me... is I'm still tempted by the Reiger RS5 rear splitter/diffser... think buying this has just removed any chance of that but hey- I guess thats just another saving! ha
Barmybob and Mr.wreckless like this.

post #40 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Very happy to see a thread being helpful

You could probably have your exhaust guy modify the tips to have them fit the larger Rieger style diffuser should you want that cosmetic upgrade later so I wouldn't say you're any worse off.

Regards
Grangey. likes this.
post #41 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am so pleased I started this discussion thread, it has helped me massively and saved me a fair few 's too.

BigP (Peter) helped to convince me, via PM's, to go with this upgrade. But he didn't stop there. He alerted me of the items being sold for much less than I had previously spotted, and much less than the discount I had acquired from my dealer. Again a massive thank you from me to you Peter. If we had forum GOLD stars you would deserve one.

I truly hope that forum members, via this thread, were the ones who managed to get both the units for sale this week. I also hope that this thread assists anyone in the future who may be looking into is upgrade.

Previously - 2010 3.0 Tdi Quattro S-line Special Edition S-tronic. Black pearl with black leather. Electric seats with memory, Dimming door mirrors & MMi 3g

Last edited by Barmybob; 25th January 2017 at 07:33 AM.
post #42 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 09:49 AM

I juuuuuuust missed out!!! Even spoke to the Audi guys this morning to double check compatibility and also that it didnt void a service plan because it's genuine OEM retrofit... Logged back on eBay during my lunch break and they were gone! LOL I guess it went to audi owners more deserving than me

Still, I am not bitter, I couldn't agree more this was such a brilliant thread and that gold star is deffo deserved!!!

I'll guess I'll just have to join the dark side of the force and go for the dpf delete .......
post #43 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 12:03 PM

I'm so pleased to read that at least a couple of you have had a result and thanks very much for the kinds words Barmybob. I'll keep an eye out for you Unsilence, hopefully one will turn up - but as I said above, knowing what I know now I would have emailed as many dealers as possible to find one geting dusty in stock and get a decent price.

Cheers
PS there must be some 2.0tdi owners out there so I can clear the space in my garage currently taken up with the converter Y pipe kit
Barmybob likes this.

Last edited by BigP; 25th January 2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #44 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
My local mechanic seemed to think he was capable of doing the exhaust work and charges 45 per hour, although he sounded dubious when I mentioned from feedback it sounded like it was an hours work- not that he's seen the instructions yet.
I asked two mobile mechanics about it and sent them the instructions. One said 2-3 hours where the other said let's see how we go. Having studied the instructions and got to know the system a little better after installing the electrics, I told the second guy what steps to take, helped manage the heavier parts and he charged 60 Inc VAT which I assumed was an hour and quarter.

post #45 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 12:23 PM

I don't have ADS factory fit but DIY enabled. I've yet to code the convenience module (I'm guessing) so that I get the config options appear under Set Individual. Does anyone have factory fit ADS with this exhaust and if so what are the options provided for Engine/Exhaust Sound by default e.g. Comfort, Dyanmic and middle ground option...? Thanks.

post #46 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigP View Post
I asked two mobile mechanics about it and sent them the instructions. One said 2-3 hours where the other said let's see how we go. Having studied the instructions and got to know the system a little better after installing the electrics, I told the second guy what steps to take, helped manage the heavier parts and he charged 60 Inc VAT which I assumed was an hour and quarter.
Oh, just a few other things:

1. Where the existing Y pipe is punched for the cutting location, the punches are quite deep which can made the pipe cutter veer off track, with the danger of an uneven cut. He bought two cutters specially for the job (bless 'im) - the first just had one or two cutting wheels (useless) the second had several more and I suggested he really got the ratchet tight and it worked ok

2. The tips are fixed by 3 rivets each so make sure you position the exhaust at the correct orientation while it's off the car - being 3 it's unlikely you'll put them on upside down but I thought it's easy to make a mistake here if you rush it

3. One thing that I'm not 100% happy with was the left tip is a few mm off centre now, after a week or two of use - I'm hoping that relaxing, repositoning and retightening that particlular box's clamp will do the job, as I don't fancy getting right under and adjusting the whole kit again

Last edited by BigP; 25th January 2017 at 12:46 PM.
post #47 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 12:40 PM

I've got full ADS (steering, suspention, gearbox etc) so when this gets fitted, I'll let you know the results! Big thanks BigP, I couldnt get it the same price as you despite my best efforts, but wasnt too far off in the end. For those interested I've paid 220 + 45 shipping.
@unsilence, just because theyre out of stock doesnt mean they cant get them again. I'd suggest giving them a call- theyre sheffield Audi as detailed in the item details. give them a call, say you want one, see what they come back with. It never hurts to ask!

post #48 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I've got full ADS (steering, suspention, gearbox etc) so when this gets fitted, I'll let you know the results! Big thanks BigP, I couldnt get it the same price as you despite my best efforts, but wasnt too far off in the end. For those interested I've paid 220 + 45 shipping.
@unsilence, just because theyre out of stock doesnt mean they cant get them again. I'd suggest giving them a call- theyre sheffield Audi as detailed in the item details. give them a call, say you want one, see what they come back with. It never hurts to ask!
Thanks Grangey and pleased to help. I think you got a great price though - don't forget that mine was an auction rather than BIN/offer and I was just lucky enough that no one else bid on it. And to think I exchanged emails directly with the parts guy the week before and they wouldn't go below 360! After deducting eBay and paypal fees, and delivery for two large boxes, I calculate they received 170 net in the end.

post #49 of 119 Old 25th January 2017, 11:16 PM

@unsilence there's still one in stock....?

Exhaust sound system Audi A4 and A5 | eBay

post #50 of 119 Old 26th January 2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess someone had made an offer and had it held. When I made my offer the number available dropped to 1 but when I retracted my offer, after my local dealer agreed to match, it went back up to two.

post #51 of 119 Old 26th January 2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
@unsilence there's still one in stock....?
AAaaaaaah looks like I just missed the boat AGAIN!!! LOL But thanks so much Grangey and Barmybob for looking out for a new forum member... I'll just need to make sure I have my finger ready on the trigger with my eBay app next time!
Barmybob likes this.
post #52 of 119 Old 28th January 2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmybob View Post
OK they quoted 3.5 hours to fit @ the accessory rate of 90P/H = 315 I managed to get a small discount on this rate. I wanted them to do all the work as the car is still under warranty. I am also happy for them to have the stress of removing / not damaging any trim.

The exhaust is on ebay, from Boston Audi @ 250 (Or offer) + 45 p&p = 295. My dealer has matched my offer + postage.

All in it will be supplied, fitted and warranted for a shade under 600, I'm more than happy with that.
Hi Barmybob - when's it booked in for?

Dark grey satin wrap and wheel refurbish is next on the bucket list for me (I should have gone for Daytona )

post #53 of 119 Old 28th January 2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Car is going in for the work this week

My previous A5 was a black one, I thought about a wrap but decided to change the whole car for Daytona one instead

Last edited by Barmybob; 28th January 2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #54 of 119 Old 28th January 2017, 04:30 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmybob View Post
Car is going in for the work this week

My previous A5 was a black one, I thought about a wrap but decided to change the whole car for Daytona one instead
Awesome Bob! Please post some before after clips pretty please!!!
post #55 of 119 Old 31st January 2017, 04:56 AM

Two very large boxes just got delivered to me

Planning on attempting the wiring next weekend so will be interesting to see how that goes. Look forward to hearing how yours went @Barmybob !
Barmybob likes this.

post #56 of 119 Old 31st January 2017, 05:16 AM

Talking

Quote:
Two very large boxes just got delivered to me

Planning on attempting the wiring next weekend so will be interesting to see how that goes. Look forward to hearing how yours went @Barmybob !
Awesome Grangey, exciting stuff!!! I took the advice you guys gave... rang up Audi and they had one more unit coming! They said they will hold it for me and give me a call once it arrives... let's hope I can get it for the same steal... but boy, if it does arrive and I can grab it, I owe you guys some fish'n'chips

Assuming I can get my hands on one too, I saw the installation instructions and some of it seems sooo vague, plus it's a left-hand drive vehicle in there, I'd be proper nervous about removing parts of the trim!

I may have to get some of my car enthusiast brother in laws to give me a hand and make a day of doing the electric wiring bits... let's see...

I wonder how the silencers compare to the bare-bones silencers on the stock 3.0 TDI exhaust... been thinking about maybe getting them gutted out too so it acts more like a straight pipe but let's not get ahead of myself!
post #57 of 119 Old 31st January 2017, 11:51 AM

Great news unsilence, thought so. Yes, some of the instructions are vague as I assume the intended reader is an audi mechanic.

For example: on the connection to the canbus, the instructions say run the cable via the centre console but it indicates the module is on the right, as per LHD cars, but it's actually on the left (so you'll need to drop the glove box).

If you haven't already got one, you'll need a terminal tool eg a Draper 3932 unless you're skilled in reshaping a paperclip!

Good luck!

post #58 of 119 Old 31st January 2017, 12:12 PM

Don't forget to ignore the mounting of the control module to the inner wheel arch

This is where I mounted mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170131_205753_20170131210806589.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	135594  

post #59 of 119 Old 31st January 2017, 11:49 PM

Thanks @BigP for posting the picture of where you mounted the control module. I cant quite make out- how did you fix this? Cable ties or double sided tape of some sort?

Any advise re running the wire from the back? Im still a very early owner of my A5 so want to make sure Im not taking things off or out and risking loosing fixings that I dont need too! Is it easy using a electricians type flexible pull through wire to get the cable from the boot, behind the seats, then under the console? Do I need to remove the central console or are their "hacks" by just removing certain parts of it?

Thanks
Grangey

Last edited by Grangey.; 1st February 2017 at 12:05 AM.
post #60 of 119 Old 1st February 2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks @BigP for posting the picture of where you mounted the control module. I cant quite make out- how did you fix this? Cable ties or double sided tape of some sort?
If you look to the left of the area circled in green, you'll see a silver nut which is where the module attaches to a black metal bracket which has 3 holes in a triangle shape - I simply mounted the top centre hole to an existing bolt for the sound system behind it, but it is dependant upon what you have installed there. Have a good look around and I'm sure you'll find somewhere suitable which has a stud/nut you can use - I just avoided mounting it above the heat-sink or on the floor of that area

Quote:
Any advise re running the wire from the back? Im still a very early owner of my A5 so want to make sure Im not taking things off or out and risking loosing fixings that I dont need too! Is it easy using a electricians type flexible pull through wire to get the cable from the boot, behind the seats, then under the console? Do I need to remove the central console or are their "hacks" by just removing certain parts of it?
You'll need to remove the trim either side of the boot, the floor cover and the plastic protective trim across the opening - the kit comes with cable ties with press in studs to fix the cable across the width of the boot, into the available holes.

From there you'll see how the cable will run along the right wheel arch and down into the seat area. I then used electricians rods to pull it under the carpet by the transmission tunnel (make sure you protect the connectors with masking tape after bending the wire back) up into the rear of the centre console, feeding it through the left side of the console. You'll have to remove the glovebox which is about 6 screws. Here's a guide on trim removal but there's a few others (on here too).

All you need is in the kit but you should end up with 3 useless rivets

oCarbon ? blog B8 A4/S4 Trim Removal Guide
Grangey. likes this.

Last edited by BigP; 1st February 2017 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode