• 2 Post By myowdeeA5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Garage
Question Help with alloy sizes (offest)

Right guys and gals, I'm on the hunt for some new wheels but when looking at different wheels they obviously have a range of offset.

I believe my current wheels are 29, would a wheel with an offset of 35 be ok? Can't get my head around how this all works.

New ones are 5 x 112 stud pattern.

If anyone could help with letting me know the range of offset that works on my car without the need for spacers that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 2009 A5 Coupe / 2.0L Diesel / S-Line / Quattro / Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)

Garage
Would aim for an offset of 26, providing the alloy width is 9 or 9.5.

There is also centre bore size to consider. You need 66.6mm.

What size you going for?

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #3 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So the smaller the offset the nearer the edge of the rim is to the arch?

The wheels I'm looking at are all Audi spec, but I will check the bore size too, cheers.

Going with 19", potentially Rotor's or looking at the 5 spoke twin blades from the RS range.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)

Garage
If it's off an A/S/RS5 you are fine. Most of the wheels from the B8 A/S4 or C9 A/S6 will fit, but will have very high offsets requiring spacers.

Yes the lower the offset, the further out the wheel will stick out from the arch. Around 26 on a 9" wheel will give you a pretty flush fitment

Current: Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Black Ed. (65) - Sepang Blue

Sold: Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (09) - Phantom Black
post #5 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashed View Post
Can't get my head around how this all works.
The offset is the distance in mm from the centre line of the wheel. An offset of 0 would mean the mounting point is exactly mid wheel. A positive offset means the mounting point is towards the outside of the wheel, a negative offset means the mounting point is closer to the inside of the wheel. Basically, the smaller the number, the further out the wheel will stick, and the further away from the axle/suspension etc. (i.e. clearance), the inside of the wheel will be.

His: 2016 Mythos Black S5 Black edition. ADS, sports diff, active dampers, dynamic steering, tech pack high, comfort pack, parking system advanced, adaptive headlights, pano sunroof, advanced key, heated/folding mirrors, 20 x 9J 5-double-spoke (summer)/19 x 8.5J Y spoke in gunmetal (winter) wheels.
Hers: 2012 Black Touareg Altitude 3l TDi (245ps)

Previous:
2014 Daytona Grey Sline A3 quattro 2l TDi
post #6 of 10 Old 11th January 2017, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I recently bought a set of rotor wheels, just be careful to get the ones with an A5 part number (8T0) which will have the correct offset (ET26) and width (9J). Then you will get the more dished look and more flush look. They make similar looking wheels for the A4 and A6 etc. but they have significantly different offsets and would look quite odd on the A5. Even with spacers they would look still quite flat fronted in comparison.

This is very helpful for working out the effects of wheel and tyre changes.

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

2008 A5 3.0TDI quattro Tiptronic - 2012 A5 3.0TDI quattro S-Tronic Cabriolet
post #7 of 10 Old 12th January 2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Fantastic, many thanks guys, given me some great info and things to be aware of that I wouldn't have known. The ones I very nearly bought had a higher offset so wouldn't have fitted. Back to the drawing board...well ebay!
paradyne likes this.

Pete

post #8 of 10 Old 14th January 2017, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Whatever you decide, I would buy rims that dont require spacers. Just buy the right offset and your good. Here are the recommended offset from "TAG Motorsports" who have done numorous Audi builds. Look at their site, they know wtf they are doing when it comes to Audi. Here is the offset and size, and this is exactly what I bought (twice, 2 different A5's).

20”x10.5 +30 OFFSET

This gives a nice flush line between the rims and the car body without sticking out or leaving room in the wheel well. It also gives clearance to ensure you have full turn without rubbing.

The tire size is then up to you, whether or not you go with 275/30/20 (I did), or with 285/30/20. The 275 is more low-profile, but you sacrifice the ride comfort a bit. The next tires I get will be 285/30/20.

Again, look at TAG motorsports and they have Audi's with various tires and see what you like for yourself.

HANDLE: Travyb
CAR: 2013 A5
MODS: 20x10.5 Verde rims-275/30ZR20 V12 EVO Tires
SOUND:Alpine 10" Sub, Kenwood 600W Amp

TO DO LIST:Piggyback ECU Mod, Coils, grill
post #9 of 10 Old 14th January 2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
One last thing, I actually purchased the rims from Need4Speed motorsports (Also an Ebay seller). I paid $1000 shipped for set of rims (twice). Great price, and nice guys. Here is the latest VERDE rims (bronze this time).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	134042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	778.3 KB
ID:	134050  
DrEskimo and Jamin_00 like this.

HANDLE: Travyb
CAR: 2013 A5
MODS: 20x10.5 Verde rims-275/30ZR20 V12 EVO Tires
SOUND:Alpine 10" Sub, Kenwood 600W Amp

TO DO LIST:Piggyback ECU Mod, Coils, grill
post #10 of 10 Old 14th January 2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myowdeeA5 View Post
Whatever you decide, I would buy rims that dont require spacers. Just buy the right offset and your good. Here are the recommended offset from "TAG Motorsports" who have done numorous Audi builds. Look at their site, they know wtf they are doing when it comes to Audi. Here is the offset and size, and this is exactly what I bought (twice, 2 different A5's).

20x10.5 +30 OFFSET

This gives a nice flush line between the rims and the car body without sticking out or leaving room in the wheel well. It also gives clearance to ensure you have full turn without rubbing.

The tire size is then up to you, whether or not you go with 275/30/20 (I did), or with 285/30/20. The 275 is more low-profile, but you sacrifice the ride comfort a bit. The next tires I get will be 285/30/20.

Again, look at TAG motorsports and they have Audi's with various tires and see what you like for yourself.
This is what I prefer, 20 x 10.5 with ET30. Have a set now with that spec and I run 285 tyres purely as I don't want any more stretch than what these provide.

Also have a set of 20 x 9 ET35 which need spacers to sit flush and they only just clear the RS5 calipers I got.

1st pic is with 20 x 10.5 and the second is with the 20 x 9's

Audi S5 V6 Supercharged - Moby
- Ibis White Black edition - Stage 2 MRC Tuning 476bhp 576nm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode