MMI 3G Basic upgrade - Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 30th August 2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question MMI 3G Basic upgrade

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the Audi's world with my 2012 A4 [The old shape] and after I bought it i was surprised that's it doesn't have the joystick on the knob button so done a research and found out that my car is equipped with MMI 3G basic with DVD based Sat-Nav.
I'd like to have it upgraded to MMI 3G+ HD and i had a look on the internet and I located a company near London but the guys are on a next level thing their minimum prices like £1600 upwards.
I was wondering if I can buy the kit myself of ebay from scrappers that is tested and working and fit it myself and code it ... But I see that impossible without your help guys .. I'm an IT engineer so not too bat with tech stuff but never done such things like that in a car before and hopefully I can do it and save some £££

One more thing .. as far as i know the 3G basic comes with 6.5" LCD ... will that fit on the 3G+ HD system or not ? can I upgrade the screen to 7" or not as well ?

Thanks in advance for each member will post a reply trying to help me out with a link for some stuff to buy or an advise that will help me down that rout.
Cheers everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 30th August 2016, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

You have to upgrade the screen (and its surround) to 7", get the HD headunit and change the centerconsole for one with a joystick. I am not sure if you can use your current wireloom, might have to change or adapt that as well. You may have to change the radiobox also.

A5 Coupé '08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contact me for rear LED adapters and other wire harnasses for retrofitting.
post #3 of 13 Old 31st August 2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

I've heard that there a security module has to be taken out from the radio to work on a different car and will any HD headunit work on mine or there's a specific model ?

post #4 of 13 Old 31st August 2016, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

As bass says, the head unit change requires the screen to change, along with all the additional controls around the gear. The security module i dont think is a separate module, but all the modules will have to be coded to the car.

Bare in mind, also, some heads will be fiberoptic to the amp, so if our amp isnt, youll need to change that too, and all the cables to source and fit.

Its something I considered once, but to go from my current non-mmi to anything requires so much work and ££££. Id rather make it go faster
post #5 of 13 Old 31st August 2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Garage
MMI 3G Basic upgrade

They are all (3G basic, high, plus) MOST based so the FC cable is in place
AFAIK the existing wiring will be sufficient. It will need some coding and component protection removal or transfer from the 3G basic unit.
Not an easy job but if you are able to source the main unit, screen and keyboard for a reasonable price then it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recovery of "bricked" MMI 3G units - 3G Basic (DVD-Rom;7T2), MMI 3G/3G+ (HD;7T6), RNS850, MIB1 and MIB2 IPL restore US to EU conversion
MMI 3GP K0900 MAP 2016, MMI 3G HIGH K0257 MAP 2016, MMI 3G BASIC K0260 MAP 2016, MMI 2G HIGH 5570 MAP 2016
RNS850 K0821 MAP 2016/2017 7P6060884E 6.23.2 Europe V10 Google Earth/Sreet View on RNS850
5.8.6 2016 RoW MAP 8R0051884DJ
Coding of STG 46 Halogen to LED tail lights A4/8K A5/8T A6/C7 A7/4G || Turning off start-stop system
post #6 of 13 Old 31st August 2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you every one really helpful information ... I had a look to ebay and there are loads of items between cheap and real crazy expensive ...
CONGO .. << Thank you mate for your tips but regarding the coding .. I don't know how to do it .. and all most of modules controllers that I found were less button than the one I've got as the one I've got has 8 buttons 4left and 4 right of the gear-knob and I found another ones which is Chrome-style ... will it make any difference ?and does it need to match with the head-unit which has the SD cards or what

I just don't want to buy the wrong kit and to end up banging my head against the wall

Thank you guys Again
post #7 of 13 Old 31st August 2016, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Garage
The keyboard in 3GP version is different and yes, there are less buttons on it "names" and "info" are missing but they was useless anyway. The other buttons have a by different layout that's it

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovery of "bricked" MMI 3G units - 3G Basic (DVD-Rom;7T2), MMI 3G/3G+ (HD;7T6), RNS850, MIB1 and MIB2 IPL restore US to EU conversion
MMI 3GP K0900 MAP 2016, MMI 3G HIGH K0257 MAP 2016, MMI 3G BASIC K0260 MAP 2016, MMI 2G HIGH 5570 MAP 2016
RNS850 K0821 MAP 2016/2017 7P6060884E 6.23.2 Europe V10 Google Earth/Sreet View on RNS850
5.8.6 2016 RoW MAP 8R0051884DJ
Coding of STG 46 Halogen to LED tail lights A4/8K A5/8T A6/C7 A7/4G || Turning off start-stop system
post #8 of 13 Old 1st September 2016, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

ok so can i but this one which is less buttons or not ?
and can i but the chrome style buttons or again no ?
and how i can tell that this keyboard will be compatible with the head-unit ?

thanks
post #9 of 13 Old 3rd September 2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

any more replies guys ? sorry but I'm new for the retrofitting things
post #10 of 13 Old 7th September 2016, 03:30 AM

If you are new to retrofitting I certainly would not start with this one........

3GP needs the "less" buttons variant, available in chrome or in black, doesnt matter.

There's no securitymodule, but some components have Component Protection. You have to go to the dealer or a friendly with a VAS connection. It connects to central Audi Server and checks if the component is legit and not blacklisted. If the component turns out stolen you have a big problem and they will hold your car. Thats why its very risky buying used parts from some "local". Only deal with trustworthy companies.

A5 Coupé '08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 8th September 2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Awww .. it's a big thing then !! Well thank you first of all for the advise but i found a B&O system really cheap on ebay from a company not private seller and they provide a full VAT invoice with it so do you think there might be possibility of it being stolen ??
and do you think that the MMI 3G+ will have a security component ?
Thanks and awaiting your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baas J. View Post
If you are new to retrofitting I certainly would not start with this one........

3GP needs the "less" buttons variant, available in chrome or in black, doesnt matter.

There's no securitymodule, but some components have Component Protection. You have to go to the dealer or a friendly with a VAS connection. It connects to central Audi Server and checks if the component is legit and not blacklisted. If the component turns out stolen you have a big problem and they will hold your car. Thats why its very risky buying used parts from some "local". Only deal with trustworthy companies.
post #12 of 13 Old 9th September 2016, 04:32 PM

The MMI units (no matter what generation) ALWAYS have CP. Your current radiobox most likely doesnt support B&O system. What speaker system do you have now? ASS?

A5 Coupé '08
post #13 of 13 Old 12th September 2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

my speaker system is Audi no B&O but it's the Audi with the amplifier ... I even found full B&O system for my car on ebay for only £300 and it will include VAT invoice and im sure is not stolen but if I fit it in my car will i notice big difference ???
and how to remove the CP ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode