Oil Change and Service Interval - A5_OC

Go Back   A5_OC > Audi A5 & Audi S5 Forums > A5 General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2009, 11:26 PM   #1

speary is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Change and Service Interval

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding variable servicing. The A5 has an Oil Change interval and a Service Interval. the difference in the 2 seems to be only a few thousand miles, so why have the 2. Is it that Audi wants you in the workshop more often or is there a valid engineering reason for this. My previous A4 had just one interval that equated to the Service interval on my A5.
I have had different dealers tell me to ignore the Oil Change and just go off the Service Interval and others have said the opposite. It just seems to be a backward step if you have an Oil change and then have to go back a couple of months later for the Main service
Is there and Audi Tech out there that can give us the definative answer to this

Arrived. A5 Cab 2.0 tfsi S-Line SE 225 bhp manual fwd in Shiraz Red
19"twin spoke wheels. Adaptive suspension, navigation, phone prep high with connect, B&O sound, hill hold
speary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsor - Register now for free to stop viewing this ad.
Old 28th July 2009, 01:57 AM   #2
C99

C99 is on a distinguished road

Oil change - between 15000 km to 30000 km (counted, depending on ride conditions) - only oil change, nothing else

Service - every 24 months, service work specified in service book

2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods www.sportmotor.cz
C99 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th July 2009, 12:10 AM   #3

GlennSmith is on a distinguished road

Just had my first service at around 19000 miles.

Service interval screen on MMI after service showed next oil change in 9100 miles and full service in 18900 miles.

I asked about this and the dealer stated that the oil change frequency at 9100 miles may step out slightlly as this is controlled by sensors monitoring oil condition so the 9100 to the next oil change is a worst case scenario. i.e it may not count down 1 mile for evry mile I do.

As it happens it seems to be counting down on a mile per mile basis and i'll be due an oil change within 4 months!

G

Ordered - 2.0TDI Quattro Black Edition - delivery expected June.

2013 - present 2.0TDI A6 MultiTronic Black Edition in Phantom Black - 20" Rotar Wheels, Folding Mirrors, Park Plus, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold

2008-2013 A5 2.0TFSI 180
GlennSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th July 2009, 01:24 AM   #4

doubledoom is on a distinguished road

The first oil change is typically shown at around 9000 miles on variable with around 18k being the service.

SOLD June 2010: Audi S5
Phantom Black | Pearl Silver seats | Silver Headlining | Carbon Inlay| B & O | Nav Plus | TV | Bluetooth | Comfort Pack | Heated F/R seats | Parking Plus | Hill-hold assist | Advanced Key | Cruise | Storage
Modifications
Milltek Cat back exhaust (non-res) | 15mm spacers | KW V2 coilovers (lowered f: 25mm, r: 20mm) | Sportec pedals
Misc adjustments
DRLs no longer dim with indicators| DRLS no longer dim on side light setting | MMI 4690 to 5570 | TV in motion unlocked.
doubledoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th July 2009, 09:39 AM   #5

chrispa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennSmith View Post
Just had my first service at around 19000 miles.

Service interval screen on MMI after service showed next oil change in 9100 miles and full service in 18900 miles.

I asked about this and the dealer stated that the oil change frequency at 9100 miles may step out slightlly as this is controlled by sensors monitoring oil condition so the 9100 to the next oil change is a worst case scenario. i.e it may not count down 1 mile for evry mile I do.

As it happens it seems to be counting down on a mile per mile basis and i'll be due an oil change within 4 months!

G
I thought the service was every 9k though, so 19,000 miles seems a bit out? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Audi A5 2.0 TFSI 180 Sport - Phantom Black / 18" V's / Xenon Plus with Adaptive Headlights / Cruise Control / Tyre Pressure Monitor
chrispa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29th July 2009, 11:29 AM   #6

hashluck is on a distinguished road

The point is it is variable based on driving style and conditions. 19K miles between oil changes is possible in my experience and currently my MMI is showing same mileage for both oil and service. Obviously if the oil becomes due and the service is showing as due in, say, 2k miles or so then it makes sense to get the done together.

SOLD: 2009 Audi A5 Sport 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic, Quartz Grey Metallic, Black Milano Leather, 19 x 8.5J '5-spoke Y' Alloys, Bang & Olufsen, Mobile Phone Prep - Low, Satellite Navigation System Plus, AMI, Audi Parking System Plus, Cruise Control, Auto Dim Mirror, Interior Light Pack, Xenon Plus Headlights with LED DRLs, Heated Front Seats

Not in an Audi right now
hashluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30th July 2009, 04:15 AM   #7

Geo_SKG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by speary View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding variable servicing. The A5 has an Oil Change interval and a Service Interval. the difference in the 2 seems to be only a few thousand miles, so why have the 2. Is it that Audi wants you in the workshop more often or is there a valid engineering reason for this. My previous A4 had just one interval that equated to the Service interval on my A5.
I have had different dealers tell me to ignore the Oil Change and just go off the Service Interval and others have said the opposite. It just seems to be a backward step if you have an Oil change and then have to go back a couple of months later for the Main service
Is there and Audi Tech out there that can give us the definative answer to this
Stick to the Oil Change interval if it is a tad sooner than the Service milestone. I wouldn't risk running the engine on oil that is no good anymore. Moreover, if your oil change indication is later than the Servive do not break the Service milestone because you may have warranty issues.

Just my 2p
Regards
George

[I]*A5|1.8T|QuartzGrey|... and a permanent since Aug'08*[I]
Geo_SKG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30th July 2009, 04:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashluck View Post
The point is it is variable based on driving style and conditions. 19K miles between oil changes is possible in my experience and currently my MMI is showing same mileage for both oil and service. Obviously if the oil becomes due and the service is showing as due in, say, 2k miles or so then it makes sense to get the done together.
Hashluck
yep.....this seem right. Before my 1st service oil change and service interval were within 400 miles of eachother..........

however

...............after the first service was complete the MMI states next oil change is due at 9100 miles with service in 18900 miles.

Will be interested to hear what others have experienced after first service.
Why would the original oil be capable of nearly 19000 miles, and after first service when the oil should have been changed, you can only get 9000 miles before next oil change. It does not make sense to me! Surely it should be 19000 again!!!

Anything obvious im missing or am I just thick
G

2013 - present 2.0TDI A6 MultiTronic Black Edition in Phantom Black - 20" Rotar Wheels, Folding Mirrors, Park Plus, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold

2008-2013 A5 2.0TFSI 180
Old 30th July 2009, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
...............after the first service was complete the MMI states next oil change is due at 9100 miles with service in 18900 miles.
There was an error in the software on some A/S5s which equalised the first oil service with the main service. I believe a TSB was issued to correct this but unless your car had been in for something, it wouldnt have got done.

The first oil change is at around 9000 and service around 18000. This is why you get the confusion. Some show the 18000 and some show the 9000.

Phantom Black | Pearl Silver seats | Silver Headlining | Carbon Inlay| B & O | Nav Plus | TV | Bluetooth | Comfort Pack | Heated F/R seats | Parking Plus | Hill-hold assist | Advanced Key | Cruise | Storage
Modifications
Milltek Cat back exhaust (non-res) | 15mm spacers | KW V2 coilovers (lowered f: 25mm, r: 20mm) | Sportec pedals
Misc adjustments
DRLs no longer dim with indicators| DRLS no longer dim on side light setting | MMI 4690 to 5570 | TV in motion unlocked.
Old 30th July 2009, 08:47 AM   #10

hashluck is on a distinguished road

I believe you are quoting the Fixed Service intervals. On LongLife Service regime the oil change is still variable and can go out to 20K miles. I quote directly from Audi on the LongLife Service Regime

Service Intervals:
Oil-change Service Variable to a maximum of every 20,000*
miles/2 years
Inspection Service Fixed to every 20,000* miles/3 years, then
every 20,000* miles/2 years thereafter

*as indicated by the service display

So it is entirely possible the oil change and inspection service could arrive at the same time depending on driving style and conditions. LongLife regime is only recommended with the following style:

Mileage: More than 30 miles per day
Type of journey: Motorway and main road driving. Mainly
longer distance journeys. Constant speeds
Conditions: Normal engine loading – e.g. with little or no
towing, with little or no hill climbs. Normal
vehicle loading
Driving style: Moderate acceleration, moderate braking,
engine revs mainly below 3,000

Which happens to exactly match mine hence my variable indicator still showing oil change will be aroind 19K miles.

SOLD: 2009 Audi A5 Sport 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic, Quartz Grey Metallic, Black Milano Leather, 19 x 8.5J '5-spoke Y' Alloys, Bang & Olufsen, Mobile Phone Prep - Low, Satellite Navigation System Plus, AMI, Audi Parking System Plus, Cruise Control, Auto Dim Mirror, Interior Light Pack, Xenon Plus Headlights with LED DRLs, Heated Front Seats

Not in an Audi right now
hashluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30th July 2009, 08:54 AM   #11

RGBArgee is on a distinguished road

Now I'm confused. My car has done nearly 11000 miles in 9 months. MMI showing next service due in 810 days and oil in 445 days both showing due in 9100 miles.

Seems good to me especially as I have a free service!!

|Cheers

RG

[/COLOR] A5+2=A7 Daytona BE quattro [/B] Sold 2011 3.0Tdi quattro S-Line Cabriolet.. most options
Best A5 still missed...2008 3.0Tdi Sport quattro COUPE - Phantom - Silver Valcona - most options.
RGBArgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15th August 2009, 06:33 AM   #12

Well thats all clear (as mud) now
I'm just going to go for smewhere in between the two figures

19"twin spoke wheels. Adaptive suspension, navigation, phone prep high with connect, B&O sound, hill hold
Old 20th August 2009, 09:00 AM   #13

PB S5 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me how much a 20k service will cost me?

S5 - Phantom Black - Silver Leather - Carbon Inlay - B&O - Sat Nav - Hill Hold - Parking Plus - Advance Key - Storage Pack - Bluetooth - IPod connection - everythin except Cruise control and Adaptive lights.

Added (by APS): Milltek exhaust - KW Variant 2 coilovers - 15mm H&R spacers
PB S5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th August 2009, 09:17 AM   #14

nikenike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB S5 View Post
Can anyone tell me how much a 20k service will cost me?
Yes, your local audi dealership !

August 2008 - April 2011 2.0 TFSI (211 ps) quattro sport black on black
Currently Mercedes C class sport C350CDI
nikenike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th August 2009, 09:59 AM   #15

should be around about 260
G

2008-2013 A5 2.0TFSI 180
Old 20th August 2009, 02:13 PM   #16

this long life service business, could I request it from audi then on my next service since I've just had the car done again today, averaging 9k between services. The miles I do I'll spend as much time in Oxford Audi as I will sat on the M1.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSI 180 Sport - Phantom Black / 18" V's / Xenon Plus with Adaptive Headlights / Cruise Control / Tyre Pressure Monitor
Old 20th August 2009, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispa View Post
this long life service business, could I request it from audi then on my next service since I've just had the car done again today, averaging 9k between services. The miles I do I'll spend as much time in Oxford Audi as I will sat on the M1.
If yours is showing 9000 as the service interval then its wrong. Oil change at 9000 but service should be longer.

Modifications
Misc adjustments
Old 20th August 2009, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledoom View Post
If yours is showing 9000 as the service interval then its wrong. Oil change at 9000 but service should be longer.
shall check it in the morning, but so far 9k and 19k the warning has come on asking for a service. if it now reads more like 39k I'll be delighted. If it's not, I'll take it back to Audi!

Old 3rd September 2009, 04:30 AM   #19

stevesks is on a distinguished road

Mine's in today. Done 15K8 and oil service overdue by 7 days. As the full service was only 3K miles away, I asked Audi Sheffield (Gilders) if they would also do the 1st variable full service to which they agreed. Always been accommodating they have.

1.8T Ibis White, Pale Grey, Xenons/DRLs + mods, DVD Sat Nav, 20mm custom spacers all round.
stevesks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:45 PM   #20

I have come to the conclusion that having 2 schedules, Oil and Main is bol!o*ks. Both services include an oil change so why would the longlife oil need to be changed so often. the difference in Oil and Main seems to vary from about 9000 miles to just a few thousand. Longlife oil in modern Audis should be good for between 15000 and 20000 miles.
Just a cynical ploy to get more money out of us I think

Old 4th September 2009, 12:07 PM   #21

DeMOROlized is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by speary View Post
I have come to the conclusion that having 2 schedules, Oil and Main is bol!o*ks. Both services include an oil change so why would the longlife oil need to be changed so often. the difference in Oil and Main seems to vary from about 9000 miles to just a few thousand. Longlife oil in modern Audis should be good for between 15000 and 20000 miles.
Just a cynical ploy to get more money out of us I think
Many people on the west side of the of the big pond still believes that oil change should be done every 3000 miles.

1st Ring: 2002 Dolphin Grey B6 A4 1.8TqMS
2nd Ring: 2006
Moro Blue B7 A4 2.0TqMS
3rd Ring: 2010 Phantom Black B8 A5 2.0TqM S Line
4th Ring: TBD
DeMOROlized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th September 2009, 01:20 PM   #22

Hobbes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMOROlized View Post
Many people on the west side of the of the big pond still believes that oil change should be done every 3000 miles.
Which is obviously too frequent with modern engines and long-life synthetic oil. However, I would never want to go 20K between changes. I'm not even comfortable with the 10K interval recommended by Audi in the U.S.

2009 A5 3.2 6MT | Brillant Black/Black | Prem | Nav | Tech | B&O
1997 A4 2.8 5MT (sold)
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th September 2009, 01:29 PM   #23

DeMOROlized is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Which is obviously too frequent with modern engines and long-life synthetic oil. However, I would never want to go 20K between changes. I'm not even comfortable with the 10K interval recommended by Audi in the U.S.
10k miles interval should be fine as long as you use synthetic oil.

1st Ring: 2002 Dolphin Grey B6 A4 1.8TqMS
2nd Ring: 2006
Moro Blue B7 A4 2.0TqMS
3rd Ring: 2010 Phantom Black B8 A5 2.0TqM S Line
4th Ring: TBD
DeMOROlized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4th September 2009, 01:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispa View Post
shall check it in the morning, but so far 9k and 19k the warning has come on asking for a service. if it now reads more like 39k I'll be delighted. If it's not, I'll take it back to Audi!
Oh yeah, incidentally my service interval now reads every 20k so I'm happy.

Old 4th September 2009, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMOROlized View Post
10k miles interval should be fine as long as you use synthetic oil.
Oh, I know that. I'm just not comfortable with it.

1997 A4 2.8 5MT (sold)
Old 16th September 2009, 10:10 AM   #26

EuropIan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EuropIan

Does anyone know how to reset the Service Light on this? I changed mine out in the garage but the countdown is still counting down in days instead of resetting it back to every 9k miles in soso days

~2009 White A5 3.2- Manual~
EuropIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th September 2009, 10:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropIan View Post
Does anyone know how to reset the Service Light on this? I changed mine out in the garage but the countdown is still counting down in days instead of resetting it back to every 9k miles in soso days
There is an option in the MMI to reset the service interval.

From the manual:
Quote:
Resetting the oil change interval display
Select: Function selector button "CAR"> Service interval
display > Reset oil change interval.

1997 A4 2.8 5MT (sold)
Old 16th September 2009, 11:37 PM   #28

Billythefish is on a distinguished road

I recently had my first oil change and service at 19k, my next service and oil changes are now set at another 19k.
Billythefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16th October 2009, 12:17 AM   #29

DarT is on a distinguished road

How can you tell from the MMI whether the car has been set up for fixed or variable schedules.

Presently the MMI is showing a number of miles to next service / a number of days.

Did request a variable schedule, but have a worry that it has been set to the fixed, with the number of days being quoted also.

Can anyone clarify for me ?

Old 16th October 2009, 12:33 AM   #30
C99

C99 is on a distinguished road

No you can't changed it in MMI, only with VAS or VCDS.

2011-??: S5 4.2 FSI manual, auxilliary heater, keyless, memory seats, navi, rear cam, etc.,
upgrades: chiptuning, Vmax off, Milltek resonated exhaust, VCDS mods (ADS, TPMS, highway lights), ADS switch, RS5 pedals, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, OZ Racing Superturismo Le Mans wheels (graphite grey).
2007-2011: A5 3.0TDI Quattro Sportmotor edition, KW V2, Caractere, OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19'', chiptuning 220kW, K&N, Milltek, LED, RS5 pedals, lots of VCDS mods www.sportmotor.cz
C99 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the A5_OC forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.